ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The catgirls from Jerusalem
Show us your... faces people, post a pic of yourself here

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Trivia Phase II ==> RESULTS AND FINALISTS!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
08-24-03 04:17 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl So here it is...
08-24-03 04:28 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

• 1. What Stones song features: A. a WASP B. A bicycle C. Amyl Nitrate?
    (a) Shattered (b) Continental Drift & Something Happened to me Yesterday (c) Sweet Black Angel

• 2. Where were they, what were they doing and to whom did Brian say, "We were just looning around and we thought we'd drop in."?
    (a) London (b) when Brian and the Stones showed up in their scruffies at the stuffy Dorchester to crash a black tie event press reception held for the Beatles (c) To Paul McCartney

• 3. Who are Yellow Humprey and Scarlett Jenkins?
    Snot gobs on the Edith grove walls deposited there by James Phelge

• 4. Name the following songs: (a) its only known live performance was an improvised snippet of a few bars in length (b) the only song from a band member's solo career to be performed at a Rolling Stones concert. (c) Mick usually leaves the stage when Keith does his solo set. Down the years which songs on at least one occasion have featured Keith on lead vocal with Mick still onstage singing with him.
    (a) Country Honk We counted FA FA FA as we didn�t specify that it�s a Stones song. (b) Sure the one you need (c) Connection, Happy (probably Sure the one you need)

• 5. Which members of the band past & present have (a) made studio recordings with Bob Dylan (b) never performed on the same stage as Bob Dylan (c) played on a Beatles record (d) never performed on the same stage as any of The Beatles.
    (a) Ronnie Wood, Mick Taylor, Apparently also Brian Jones but it�s unverified, we counted ok to those who answered as it�s probably that he appeared with Bob at the Wilson Pickett show on 07 Nov. 1965 but those who mentioned Ronnie and Mick Taylor got the whole quarter (b) Bill Wyman, Brian Jones, Ian Stewart (c) Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones (d) Mick Taylor, Ian Stewart.

• 6. What specifically is a Morgan-Morgan?
    Black current apple fruitpies purchased @ dairy that the Edith Groove landlord used 2

• 7. When Mick was introducing the "Wembley Whammer" Charlie Watts at the 1990 London shows, the theme music from which long running UK sports show was played by Matt Clifford as a "tribute"?
    Match of the Day

• 8. What British actress, latterly known for her role in TV commercials for washing up liquid , sings backing vocal on a Stones recording?
    Nanett Newman

• 9. Name 4 artists who have used the entire Stones either as a duet or as their backing group on an officially released recording.
    Cleo Sylvester, The Chieftans, BB King, Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra, Dick & Dee Dee, we also considered the guest appearances as Dave Mathews, Eric Clapton and Taj Majhal as OK.

• 10. Name two hits for other artists that are briefly featured but uncredited on the same 1990's Rolling Stones single.
    "Papa was a rolling stone" and "Riders on the Storm" on "Out of Control"

• 11. What was the connection to the Stones of "Mother Earth" ?
    The name they announced to call their own record company

• 12. To which actor did the Stones send a letter asking for his permission to have his name mentioned in one of their songs in order to avoid any possible lawsuit?
    Steve McQueen (Starfucker / Star Star)

• 13. What's the next three cities in this sequence ? New York, Los Angeles, Honolulu
    Altamont (Livermore), New York City and Buffalo (final stops NA Tour1965 - 1975) We decided to consider the answer �Auckland, Brisbane, Melbourne� as the question was not clear enough.

• 14. The Stones performed a traditional Mexican song, very famous worldwide, which song and when did they play it?
    "La Bamba" during the 1962 shows. It was also played before by Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. The song was not composed by Ritchie Valens, but he made it popular in the USA and then all over the planet. It was also plagiarized by The Beatles in �Twist and Shout�

• 15. Mick Jagger produced half the release of a great female singer who has also played and/or toured with Bill Wyman, Roger Waters, Tina Turner, Eric Burdon, Small Faces, Humble Pie and many more. (a) Who is the singer? (b) Who produced the other 50%? (c) Mention the songs produced by Mick Jagger
    (a) P. P. Arnold (b) Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane (c) Though it hurts me badly. This is the only answer as it�s the only release with 50% Produced by Mick Jagger, it was a single released on January 5 1968.

• 16. A former official member of King Crimson recorded for the Rolling Stones, mention (a) the musician, (b) the song(s) and (c) the albums in which he appears.
    (a) Mell Collins (b) Miss You and Everything is Turning to Gold However with just answering �Miss You� we gave 1/3 (c ) Some Girls and Sucking in the 70s. He consequently appears in the compilations Jump Back and 40 licks. He is also credited in �Love you Live� but we�re not sure what he did there

• 17. What is the significance of Act One, Scene One?
    A coffee bar the stones occasionally used as a meeting spot before gigs
    ALL ARE OFFICIAL RELEASES: (a) �Blue� by Mick Jagger from the Goddess in the Doorway single (b) �It's Unholy� from the album �Now Look� by Ronnie Wood (his second studio album) (c) �Spanish A Minor� from the album �Mick Taylor� by Mick Taylor (his debut studio album) and (d) Something Happened To Me Yesterday from the album �Between the Buttons� by The Rolling Stones

• 19. For the following track mention the date, studio, and the musicians involved in the recording. TRACK 19
    (a) September 29, 1993 Voodoo Lounge Sessions (b) Sandymount Studios (c ) The Four Rolling Stones members (Mick Jagger on harmonica), Chuck Leavell and Darryl Jones. BTW, the song�s name is �Hold on You�

• 20. Identify the song and mention the sessions in which the following track was recorded TRACK 20
    (a) No Spare Parts (b) Path� Marconi Studios Bolougne-Billancourt, during the �Some Girls� Sessions

• 21. When and how this song was released? What is the song? TRACK 21
    (a) 1970 (b) as a bootleg (c ) Cops and Robbers

• 22. For the following photos mention what is Mick doing; be specific and brief.

Acting for (a) the "Too Much Blood" video in Mexico City in 1983 and (b ) the Werner Herzog�s movie "Fitzcaraldo" in the Iquitos Ju ngle in Peru, January-February, 1981

• 23. Mention the event, date and venue for this photograph.

(a) NME Pollwinners Concert (b) May 12, 1968 (c) Empire Pool, Wembley

• 24. Where this photo comes from?

The New Barbarians warming up backstage during the USA Tour May, 1979 and NOT from the Emotional Rescue Sessions.

• 25. Where, when and what are they doing in this scene?

(a) LWT Studios, London (b) 11/29/68 (c ) Rehearsing the TV Show "Frost on Saturday"

BONUS QUESTIONS

• B1. Name the band who opened for the Rolling Stones and performed only Beatles covers.
    The Liverbirds (an all female cover band who opened for the Stones in Liverpool in 1963, we received very funny answers about JB involved as �Josh Esq. and the jb's� etc

• B2. Which songs recorded by the Rolling Stone songs have also been covered by the grateful dead?
    It's all over now, Last time, Little Red Rooster, Not Fade Away, Satisfaction, Walking the dog, etc

• B3. This is a very special photo as it was taken during the making of �something�. Who they are and what they were doing during those photo sessions.
      (a) Lois Chiles, Patti & Keith, Sean Ferrer (b) Rehearsing for the movie "Past all Dishonor" Keith was on the verge of making his long-awaited acting debut that never was concluded. He was tentatively set to star in a movie version of the James M. Cain steamer Past All Dishonor.

Additional information: He was supposed to play a pianist in an 1860s bordello. Patti co-stared as a prostitute, the pianist interest was the bodello's madam played by Lois Chiles. Keith was also asked to compose some music for the soundtrack. The movie was not finished for many reasons, one was that Keith is a real bad actor LOL but also because the European tour schedule or the budget and many more. Directing was Blaine Novak and the film producer and leader was Sean Ferrer.
08-24-03 05:13 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl due to the results instead of three in the finals we have four

These are the results based on the accumulated points

08-24-03 05:17 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl To the particpants, please download and check this XL spread sheet, see how each cell has the formula used with the points of each incise on each question

http://rocksoff.org/h3-trivia2evaluation.xls
08-24-03 06:14 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Alright!

Congrats to FPM, Angie, RubyFriday and Cardinal Fang!

I had a damn great time with this sucker. Lookin' forward to the big finals.

How the hell did I manage to get .58 points or whatever? I'll have to check the Excel spreadhseet...

And how did I miss "It's Unholy" and Steve while getting Liverbirds? I must've been zonked when I sent my answers in! I'd been listening to 'Now Look' constantly for the previous week!

I still think my answers for the photos of Mick are right. Technically. *manic grin*.

-tSYX --- Somethin' happened to me... somethin' really groovy!
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
08-24-03 06:26 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Waitaminute. You said this round started us off with zero points, wiped clean, right? Or is it with the accumulated points?

Now I'm just confused. I think I'm going to go drinking.

Wait, I can't. Damnit.

-tSYX --- Take your partner...
08-24-03 06:52 PM
Angiegirl Wow! Number 2!!! I never expected that to happen to be honest. After the Cardinal, who is the top as we all knew before.

Great. So, what's the next round? Live in the chatbox? With my slow connection I can never win....lol, just thinking of excuses ahead, whahaha! So I will be number 4 in the end, that's cool too .

Come over to Holland Xyzzy, you only have to be 16 over here to drink...
08-24-03 07:30 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl It was clearly stated in this second level, all start in zero points for the second round

THE FINALISTS ARE

Cardinal Fang
Gomper
Angiegirl
TheSavageYoungXyzzy

The accumulated points are shown just as a reference
08-24-03 07:33 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The fourth place will have a this photo and the Mick Taylor Live in Mexico City CD only, same as the third

08-24-03 07:34 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl ...of course without the ugly legend in yellow
08-24-03 07:41 PM
stonedinaustralia congrats to all - esp. those who made the final (well done tSYX)

some of the answers came right back to me once i heard them (how could i forget "yellow humphrey"!!??) - i made a couple of stupid mistakes (Emotional Rescue sessions!! what an idiot!!) and, as always, if only i'd had more time...

anyway, it was all good fun
08-24-03 07:53 PM
Angiegirl Ok, well number 3, lol!!! Don't beat me tSYX!!

[Edited by Angiegirl]
08-24-03 09:49 PM
Cant Catch Me Congrats to the finalists!!!

And, damn, seeing that pic again of Keith and the "Too Tough" t-shirt hurts, it's just too cool not to have!!! Ouch!! I shoulda' saved the photo and looked at it every now and then for motivation, oh well, that's, as they say, "tough!"

But I had a blast, and had fun answering the few questions I did with the help of my daughter, who at 9 is now a HUGE Stones fan -- now that's a real reward all by itself, as any parent will know!

08-24-03 10:00 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy !!!

One love, Voodoo. One love. And 'tis you and your fellow Unholy Trinitarians!

I think everyone who tried for this contest from round one's quite astounding. Even those questions were nigh impossible. And while I know I'm travellin' on a wind and a prayer, by the skin of my teeth, by a bredth of a hair (oh wait, wrong band), I just wanted to say that for just signin' up to play along, from Cardinal Fang down to Soulie, you're all quite the best. So pat yourselves on the back. Or go drinking, if you can.

quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Come over to Holland Xyzzy, you only have to be 16 over here to drink...

I did, Angiegirl, I did! First time in my life that I got properly drunk was over there in Amsterdam. I am not someone you want to get drunk... I get the feeling that another glass of Vodka and orange soda and I'd've been picking fights. (I was already deeply involved in an argument over drugs with my waiter... me quite trashed and him quite happy to keep me trashed)

-tSYX --- Too tough to die!
08-24-03 10:31 PM
Cant Catch Me In the interest, only, of mathematical accuracy, how did C. Fang get a 1.10 on question 25?

If the answer is by playing one of the songs on a nose flute or butt kazoo then I would have appreciated the opportunity to try it too!
08-24-03 10:56 PM
parmeda Yep...my gut feeling was correct.
After seeing the answers, I definately wasn't the brightest bulb in this box, lol!

'Good Luck' to the finalists!
The final round is going to be very exciting

08-24-03 11:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
In the interest, only, of mathematical accuracy, how did C. Fang get a 1.10 on question 25?

It wasn't Cardinal but FPM C10 as he gave more detail about the answer and it was the only case in the whole evaluation, I sent it for cross check to Jaxx and Gazza and they didn't make a comment. ANyway it does not change the final results as it's only 0.1 points

08-25-03 01:08 AM
Cant Catch Me

Of course it's just 0.10, and sorry, I meant FPM C10, not C. Fang. And I was just curious, not trying to boost my own standing or subtract from anybody else's, cuz it certainly wouldn't do much for my final position!
08-25-03 01:22 AM
Cant Catch Me Oh, and if anybody's looking for me tonight, I'll be in this here bar drowning my sorrows . . .

08-27-03 10:02 AM
Jumacfly Beware of the barmaid CCM!! and don t forget your garlic!!
09-05-03 11:34 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
09-10-03 09:43 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Third and final phase will be held as soon as Gazza is back home. The questions will be very easy (no need for research, questions that a regular "hard core" fan use to know)
09-11-03 09:07 PM
Angiegirl And when I'm back too. I will be back from London's shows on Tuesday night, so no sooner than Wednesday please.
09-12-03 01:34 PM
gomper Propongo que sea en dominguito porque los dem�s d�as estoy en chinga.
09-12-03 05:57 PM
Angiegirl Fine by me .
09-15-03 11:05 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Good Spanish Angie, a good one!

So Sunday is fine for all? Please let us know the day and the time that fits for you as we have people from Europe and North America
09-15-03 02:11 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy El Xyzzy salvaje y joven tiene tiempo libre en el domingo, pero con una persona en Europa, y otro en Mexico, y dos en EE.UU., vamos a tener problemas. Ser� un dolor en el culo.

-tSYX --- No puedo obtenerlo!
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
09-15-03 05:48 PM
gomper I think that 4 pm. New York time it's fine for all, it's afternoon in America (including Mexico) and it is evening in Europe.
09-18-03 11:53 AM
Angiegirl Yep, 10pm here, sounds fine!
09-23-03 09:42 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl ok, we're going to decide the final step now, this is takin longer than expected
Page: 1 2 3 4