ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Palais des Sports, Paris September 22, 1970
by Dick Waterman From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wyman back in fold? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10-23-02 11:52 AM
T&A dkmonroe:

that is correct. MT is waiting for a personal call, which never comes. "you gotta tell me you're coming back again...."
10-23-02 11:58 AM
Pants Make the Man
quote:
dkmonroe wrote:
He made some disparaging remarks to a German newspaper back in 1998:

BBC News Wednesday, November 11, 1998 Published at 05:50 GMT

Wyman Slams Stones Former Rolling Stones bass player Bill Wyman says he can't stand his old group and would never buy any of their records. The 62-year-old, who now confines his musical appearances to occasional club dates, says he has not looked back since he quit the veteran group in 1991.

"I left the Stones because their music really annoyed me, so why should I go listen to their music?" Wyman told the German newspaper Bild.

"When you're a Rolling Stone, you do nothing but Stones music. My life is more exciting since I'm not one," he said.

Wyman did not confine his criticism to his own former colleagues - he also slated two of Britain's newest success as well.

He said: "Oasis bother me even more than the Rolling Stones." As for the Spice Girls: "I like talent, so I don't like them."

The Artist Formerly Known As Prince "was the last to really impress me in the early 80s. But he's really gone downhill since," he said.

[Edited by dkmonroe]

Oh well- at least he took a shot at Oasis.
10-23-02 12:14 PM
Maxlugar That is Ronnie on bass on Fingerprint File live in '75 -'76, Savage.

Ronnie is a hell of a bass player. See Jeff Beck Group.

You sure that's Taylor on Live With Me?

10-23-02 02:46 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

i'm looking at my Let it Bleed sleeve as i write this post. BASS on Live with Me is credited to KEITH RICHARDS. WYMAN is credited for BASS on all the other tunes. MICK TAYLOR is credited for SLIDE GUITAR on COUNTRY HONK and GUITARS with KEITH on Live With Me. these are the only 2 tunes TAYLOR is credited for.

for the sake of the archives, here's the 2 articles i found on this topic in full:

ITV:Wyman considers Stones comeback

Wyman
18.23PM BST, 22 Oct 2002

Bill Wyman has revealed that he would consider playing with the Rolling Stones one last time - but only if they ask him.

The former Stones bassist said he has had no regrets since quitting the band after their 30th anniversary in 1992, but he admits to having pangs of nostalgia now they have turned 40.

"As it is the 40th and it might be the very last tour - and I think it quite likely that it is - then maybe the one time might be nice to do," Wyman, 64, said in an interview ahead of this week's launch of his new book on the band.

"I haven't directly spoken to any member of the band about doing that. I'm not wildly excited by it or anything but if they approach me and ask me, I might well think about it."

While the remaining Stones - Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood - have spent the past year preparing for their Forty Licks world tour, Bill has been compiling what he hopes will be the definitive book on the band.

"Rolling With The Stones" is based on the diaries Bill has kept all his life and features the kind of personal insights and insider information that fans will relish.

"I've just relived my youth and remembered all the things I'd forgotten," he said. "But it is a very comprehensive look at the history of the band and the life and times we lived through."

The book takes a candid look at band's behind-the-scenes history, including the death of founder Brian Jones in 1969, the drugs, groupies, fights.

He even talks about his own controversial marriage to teenager Mandy Smith in the 1980s, although it is a topic he will not discuss in interviews.

He also shows that life with the Rolling Stones was not the glamorous merry-go-round of money and

women that everyone imagined.

"I don't miss any of it actually. Well maybe the money. In the early days, it was by no means as lucrative as it is now because you didn't have sponsorship or merchandising like now."

"The money wasn't really around in those days. Although we were always called multi-millionaires, we never were."

He certainly doesn't miss the fame, saying he never craved adulation or mass recognition but just wanted to play his music.

"I always tried to avoid it, to stand in the shadows. It absolutely ruins your private life. You can't have relationships when you are always on tour. It's very destructive in that way.

Bill is happily married to Suzanne and has three young daughters

LONDON (Reuters) - Bill Wyman just might rock with the Rolling Stones one last time -- but only if they ask him.

Bill Wyman

The former bassist has no regrets about turning his back on the Rolling Stones when they creaked to their 30th anniversary in 1992 but admits to just the tiniest bit of nostalgia now the world's biggest rock band has turned 40.

"As it is the 40th and it might be the very last tour -- and I think it quite likely that it is -- then maybe the one time might be nice to do," Wyman, 64, told Reuters in an interview ahead of this week's launch of his new book on the band.

"I haven't directly spoken to any member of the band about doing that. I'm not wildly excited by it or anything but if they approach me and ask me, I might well think about it."

While the remaining Stones -- Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood -- have spent the past year preparing for their "Forty Licks" world tour, Wyman has been compiling what he hopes will be the definitive book on the band.

"Rolling With The Stones" is based on the diaries Wyman has kept all his life and features the kind of personal insights and insider information that fans will relish.

"I've just relived my youth and remembered all the things I'd forgotten," he said. "But it is a very comprehensive look at the history of the band and the life and times we lived through."

Wyman writes candidly about the band's music and behind-the-scenes history, including the death of founder Brian Jones in 1969, the drugs, groupies, fights.

He even talks about his own controversial marriage to teenager Mandy Smith in the 1980s, although it is a topic he won't discuss in interviews.

"I did it pretty much as things happened and gave them whatever space I felt was necessary to that event."

But he expects some people will be disappointed to find that some of their favourite Stones' legends do not appear in print.

"If people start asking about Mars Bars or certain things like that, they won't see those things there because they didn't happen," he said, referring to a salacious rumour which has long dogged Jagger and his then girlfriend Marianne Faithfull.

Although adored by the world's youth and held up as a symbol of rebellion and corruption by their parents, life with the Rolling Stones was not the glamorous merry-go-round of money and women that everyone imagined, said Wyman.

He remembers endless boring hours shut up in hotel rooms unable to go outside for fear of being mobbed.

"I don't miss any of it actually. Well maybe the money. In the early days, it was by no means as lucrative as it is now because you didn't have sponsorship or merchandising like now."

"The money wasn't really around in those days. Although we were always called multi-millionaires, we never were."

He certainly doesn't miss the fame, saying he never craved adulation or mass recognition but just wanted to play his music.

"I always tried to avoid it, to stand in the shadows. It absolutely ruins your private life. You can't have relationships when you are always on tour. It's very destructive in that way.

Now happily married to Suzanne, and with three young daughters, Wyman said he spent his days working to "support them in the style I have become accustomed to".

He has just finished a book on medieval English history and archaeology and plays small gigs with his band, "The Rhythm Kings" -- an experience that takes him back to his youth.

"Back then you didn't think about career, you didn't think about being famous and rich and driving in limos. You just played music. And if someone likes it and you get a couple of pounds in your pocket, that's a bonus."

10-23-02 02:54 PM
sirmoonie Wyman: "I'm not wildly excited by it or anything but if they approach me and ask me, I might well think about it."

Don't hold your breath Perkie, I can just see Keith calling you now and begging "PLEEEEEEASEEEE! You gotta help us out.....uh, whats your name...uh...Bill, yeh Bill! You just gots to help us out, Bill!"

"Look over at Daryl Jones, light another butt and smile, Ronnie!"
10-23-02 07:46 PM
luxury1 I always thought he was a good bass player--especially with Charlie--you know, the whole engine room thing--but he has such a whiny personality---no wonder Keith can't stand him.
10-23-02 08:12 PM
MRD8 You guys should be talking about the great shows they are playing on tour this year instead of rehashing this old, tired crap! I saw them last night in Ft. Lauderdale and they were amazing...THE best setlist I've seen in the 37 years I've seen them live...! Rest assured that Wyman and Taylor won't play ONE note on this tour...or any other ones either! They are both part of the Stones great history...nothing more...
10-23-02 08:31 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
That is Ronnie on bass on Fingerprint File live in '75 -'76, Savage.

Ronnie is a hell of a bass player. See Jeff Beck Group.

No, they're right, I'm wrong - that is Keith playin' bass on "Live With Me".

Really? Ronnie on "File" on Love You Live? That's crazy - Ronnie *is* a killer bass player - I just don't like that rendition at all. Maybe, like "Live With Me" on Ya-Ya's, because it's a concert setting it can't risk being as bass-driven as in the studio.

-tSYX --- Hey bulldog!
10-23-02 08:36 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
I always thought he was a good bass player--especially with Charlie--you know, the whole engine room thing--but he has such a whiny personality---no wonder Keith can't stand him.

According to Victor whatever-his-name-is that wrote the biography "Keith Richards" which was last revised in 1993, Charlie would sit with Bill at lunch because no one else could stand him and his 'dirty old man' routine.

Poor Bill - great bass player - hell of a bad character.

No, both Micky T and Bill would just recall that whole "we are old men" thing. The Stones have *moved on*. That chapter of their lives is said and done with. The current and most likely final edition of The Rolling Stones (unless they finally give up and induct Darryl) contains Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts. Period.

-tSYX --- But after all is said and done...
10-23-02 08:48 PM
Martha
I love Bill's playin' and agree with those of you who think he and Chaz had an unstoppable groove goin' on. I do too..just love to listen to it on all the live albums that he played on and that I now have.

As far as his playing at MSG if asked to..I don't take that in the same way some of you are seeming to take it. He isn't coming from the perspective that any of us might be coming from . He was and still is an equal to the Stones...they are his professional peer group..he knows them as friends...not as rock and roll gods. He's seen it all the good, bad and ugly.

That he left the band when he chose to is no crime.

Whether or not they are all friends now isn't really relevant, particularly, either. Hell, I just saw Ronnie and Keef have a big spat right on stage at the Columbus show and the next gig they are smilin' away lookin' into each others eyes while playin a riff. I just can't take all the "he said this" and "he said that" shit too seriously... it looks as though they certainly don't.

Some people just can't continue that lifestyle of touring and touring. I think it would be grueling myself.

I would be thrilled to see him appear with the Stones at MSG since I never had the pleasure of seeing him perform live with the boys.

I agree too, that we are in a glorious hey-day of the Stones with this incredible unprecedented tour..which may never be repeated...so see as many shows as you possibly can.

I have heard at least three people in the past two days state unequivocally, that this tour is the best they've EVER seen..(after having seeing the Stones since '72 or '75 and every tour since).

Now that IS something to discuss and to celebrate!!!!

I was sorta hopin' that EC would guest in Columbus since he sometimes resides there..but forgot all about that as the show unfolded and had to be reminded later that I'd ever even considered it.

The moral of that story................................................
this tour IS mind blowing!!!! Or blowing my mind away.

I've lost precious brain cells......but don't even care!

Dare I say it...............fuck Yup!

Get me to another show Ronnie! Keef...Anyone!

If it's happening now...it's happening!
10-23-02 09:22 PM
BILL PERKS THE LITTLE HANDS THAT COULD ALSO DID'NT PLAY BASS ON EMOTIONAL RESCUE,WHICH IS THE FINEST BASS PART RECORDED BY THE BAND.AS FOR HIM APPEARING ON STAGE,DOES ANYONE GIVE A SHIT?HAS ANYONE REALLY MISSED HIM?I'D RATHER SEE BRIAN'S MUMMIFIED CORPSE UP THERE PLAYING THE MELLOTRON.
10-23-02 09:48 PM
Maxlugar I miss him.

10-23-02 09:54 PM
JaggaRichards and his solo stuff sucks too
10-23-02 09:59 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
You guys should be talking about the great shows they are playing on tour this year instead of rehashing this old, tired crap! I saw them last night in Ft. Lauderdale and they were amazing...THE best setlist I've seen in the 37 years I've seen them live...! Rest assured that Wyman and Taylor won't play ONE note on this tour...or any other ones either! They are both part of the Stones great history...nothing more...

You are oh so right, my wisdomical friend. But, I just cannot believe the friggin' yutz. "if they approach me..." What the fuck is he doing by saying that except "approaching" them? Then he's gotta save face by adding "he'll think about it." Word to your mother, Perkspank. Don't quit your day job playing lounge music and then wait around the house waiting for the phone to ring.

FPM opined that "Who the fuck is Mick Taylor?" t-shirts may be opportune at the moment. What he said goes ditto with Wyman.
10-23-02 10:23 PM
sammy davis jr. Sure guys- bash Bill for being a dirty old man....I mean Mick is pushing sixty and he has a new floozy what- every other week? Even while he was married. Now that's character. Then there's Saint Keith, who shoved anything and everything into his veins he could find for 20 years. And still is a freaking drunk.(Ya think that might have something to do with all the clams he makes night after night)? And don't forget about ole Ronnie "The Hoover" Wood, who's probably snorted one or two Columbian cartels dry himself. Look, none of these guys are saints. I was just commenting on my earlier post that Bill's bass is missed in the groups sound. No matter how technically great DJ is, or how funky he plays, it's not the same as Chaz and Bill locking up. That's all I was saying. I just think it'd be cool if he played one last gig with the Stones, that's all. And about Keith and Bill not getting along anymore- Mick and Keith don't get along any more either, so just maybe Keith is the reason Bill wanted out of the Stones.
10-23-02 10:54 PM
Boomhauer

[Edited by Boomhauer]
[Edited by Boomhauer]
10-23-02 11:08 PM
full moon Just curious, who says Keith and Mick do not " get along"???
10-23-02 11:12 PM
Boomhauer Has Bill ever performed the song "I'm just a Bill", a School House Rock Tune?

lol
10-24-02 12:47 AM
Martha No matter how technically great DJ is, or how funky he plays, it's not the same as Chaz and Bill locking up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I hear ya SD JR. and I agree..it doesn't sound the same. I love that locked up sound Chaz and Bill made.

I miss him too!
10-24-02 03:55 AM
Pants Make the Man
quote:
Martha wrote:

I love Bill's playin' and agree with those of you who think he and Chaz had an unstoppable groove goin' on. I do too..just love to listen to it on all the live albums that he played on and that I now have.

As far as his playing at MSG if asked to..I don't take that in the same way some of you are seeming to take it. He isn't coming from the perspective that any of us might be coming from . He was and still is an equal to the Stones...they are his professional peer group..he knows them as friends...not as rock and roll gods. He's seen it all the good, bad and ugly.

That he left the band when he chose to is no crime.

Whether or not they are all friends now isn't really relevant, particularly, either. Hell, I just saw Ronnie and Keef have a big spat right on stage at the Columbus show and the next gig they are smilin' away lookin' into each others eyes while playin a riff. I just can't take all the "he said this" and "he said that" shit too seriously... it looks as though they certainly don't.

Some people just can't continue that lifestyle of touring and touring. I think it would be grueling myself.

I would be thrilled to see him appear with the Stones at MSG since I never had the pleasure of seeing him perform live with the boys.

I agree too, that we are in a glorious hey-day of the Stones with this incredible unprecedented tour..which may never be repeated...so see as many shows as you possibly can.

I have heard at least three people in the past two days state unequivocally, that this tour is the best they've EVER seen..(after having seeing the Stones since '72 or '75 and every tour since).

Now that IS something to discuss and to celebrate!!!!

I was sorta hopin' that EC would guest in Columbus since he sometimes resides there..but forgot all about that as the show unfolded and had to be reminded later that I'd ever even considered it.

The moral of that story................................................
this tour IS mind blowing!!!! Or blowing my mind away.

I've lost precious brain cells......but don't even care!

Dare I say it...............fuck Yup!

Get me to another show Ronnie! Keef...Anyone!

If it's happening now...it's happening!

Pardon me, but what spat are you talking about between Keef and Ronnie?
10-24-02 04:51 AM
stonedinaustralia check out the thread "beggars in colombus"
10-24-02 06:19 AM
Pants Make the Man Thank you, stonedinoz. That is a bit disturbing. I hope Sir Mick and Ronnie Money aren't ganging up on Keith like Mick and Keith did to Brian. Anyway, that was a great review by Nasty Habits.
10-24-02 06:46 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Pants Make the Man wrote:
I hope Sir Mick and Ronnie Money aren't ganging up on Keith like Mick and Keith did to Brian. Anyway, that was a great review by Nasty Habits.

pants, that's an interesting observation that hadn't really occurred to me...particularly given that mick has some reason to be pissed with k - from what i can gather from the reports of the tour so far there is next to zero interaction between m & k - charlie seems to be holding the whole show together on any number of levels

it certainly isn't very happy talk and i don't like it one bit and i sincerely hope that we are making a mountain out of a molehill!!

nevertheless, as i said above, i trust nasty's eye and ear as to what was happening - you can understand they'd get annoyed with each other at times but like i say it's the fact that ronnie was so ready to make his feelings public that is a worry

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-24-02 07:34 AM
Maxlugar The Smithstoneian Institution defines The Drive as:

Bill Wyman + Charlie Watts x Keith Richards.

There will always be a piece of The Drive missing in little Maxy's eyes.

Oh for another night of it!

MAXY!!!!
10-24-02 08:24 AM
nankerphelge I agree -- there was a magic with Bill in the band and his style -- it is still damn amazing even without him, but to hear the Stones with him would be amazing. Problem is, the guy is his own worst enemy -- he bad mouths the band, cashes in on his former status with them, and now has the audacity to say "yeah I might think about it if they were to ask."

I think they should ask him:

Keith: "Hey Bill, it's Keith, just wondering if you'd like to play MSG on Jan 18th"

Bill: "Yeah I'd love to!"

Keith: "I bet you would...PSYCH!!!!"

10-24-02 08:25 AM
Pants Make the Man Maxy nailed it! Anyway, Mick, Keith and Brian ganged up on Bill in the early day's (Charlie is above that sort of thing, stonedinoz). He just let it go in one ear and out the other. Brian was not so lucky when the game turned on him- he was too sensitive. But Bill was good to Brian (Bill, also, was above that sort of thing- power struggle's).
[Edited by Pants Make the Man]
10-24-02 09:43 AM
Maxlugar Does anyone else have Bill's Blues Odyssey?

Damn fine book. DAMN fine!

"Prop open my sphincter with Blues Odyssey and let Stone Alone just fall right in, Ronnie!"
10-24-02 09:52 AM
Moonisup well just read the last page of his book!! Friends they still are!!
rik
10-24-02 01:12 PM
Street Fighting Man Love em' or not, Bill Wyman was + still is a part of the Stones folklore - kind of like Brian Jones but still kicking! Let's face it, pretty much every time you turn on the radio, pop in a CD, MP3, cassette, eight tracks, or spin vinyl (covering range of options), he's there (pre-Voodoo work that is)! Heck, I even like his vocals on "In Another Land."

That aside, while Bill's stage presence was about as dynamic as a stone (read that "rock"), he could play some great base. Bill always did have that cutting English "wit," but why he chose to bad mouth the Stones in the press is anybody's guess. Maybe it helps keep his name in the press and sell books. MSG, we'll just have to see, won't we.

As for Daryl Jones, as Ronnie says, "He's rocking." However, he's strictly a professional musician (i.e., "session player") who was hired to tour. After all the guy played with Madonna. If Englishman Ian Stewart didn't fit the image, how in the world would Daryl? Plus, what would be the incentive for the Stones to promote a "hired hand" at this late stage of the game.

There was nothing quite like hearing him play the ending bass lines on "19th Nervous Breakdown" live. Classic Stones!

Bottom line, retirement stinks����..I miss Bill too!

10-24-02 01:49 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I'm not sure Nasty Habits has ever had a bass played on him.

But you never know with those Southern guys.......

Speaking of songs Keith played bass on, Live With Me is another.

MAXY!

My wife plays bass on me.

All over!

"Hit my low E again, Trixie!"

Page: 1 2 3