ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Palais des Sports, Paris September 22, 1970
by Dick Waterman From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wyman back in fold? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10-22-02 11:22 PM
Hand O Fate Just read this story and found it pretty interesting. Check it out:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/021022/80/dc9gx.html
10-22-02 11:35 PM
Boomhauer Just say that they will have a special guest at the HBO show (MSG). Don't you think if there was a chance of Bill playing at a gig, this would probably be the one?

Maybe he would only play in Europe.

But he does say "if they ask him." Do you think he says that because he is too good to ask the band to join in or because he doesn't want to impose? I think it's the latter because I'm sure he will say, "It's great if they do and fine if they don't. At least the issue was brought up."
[Edited by Boomhauer]
10-23-02 12:04 AM
sammy davis jr. I truly miss Bill's bouncy bass lines to Charlie's drumming. They were definitely the best rythymn section in a rock band. I've been listening to some older stuff lately and Bill's bass playing is just part of what made the groove happen. Check Black Limousine, Worried About You, Start Me Up etc. I hope Bill will do a show or two with the boys this time around. I mean no disrespect to DJ at all, he obviously is very talented, but IMO Bill's bass was a huge part of some great records.
10-23-02 05:49 AM
F505 I think Darryl is not only talented but a hell of a bass player. Check out his superb bass playing on Decoy (Miles Davis). Bill was indeed a perfect bass player for the Stones but The Rhythm Kings is unfortunately music for rollator-users.
10-23-02 07:30 AM
Maxlugar Bill really shines live.

Sweet sperm on a triscuit, that man can play!

I miss Bill.

M!
10-23-02 07:31 AM
corgi37 To me, Bill is so lucky he had a superb amp set up in 63. He earnt zillions, and screwed his way around the world for 30 years because of it. The fact he plays on around 40% (or less) on every record says alot about him. He should count his lucky stars. Since he quit, he plays it so cool. "Oh, the stones are behind me", "oh, i find touring boring", "i dont wanna play the same songs every night". Fuck, gimme a break! Whats his restaurants name? what was his 1st solo record called? what are his trashy tell all "biographies" called? Darryl should be given more credence, should feature more in clips, and with his talent, should erase Bill's "contribution" off the map. Hey, your fave Bill bass line is probably Keith or brian or Mick Taylor anyway!!!!! But boy, didnt Bill dance a storm on stage! The guy is only remembered for 3 things: Being so boring, the end bass run of "19th nervous breakdown" and looking at Charlie cute in film clips. Oh, sorry, 4 things. ALso having the worst hair in rock.
10-23-02 07:38 AM
F505 you forgot 5: the worst hamburgers in town
10-23-02 07:43 AM
stonedinaustralia some of your points are valid

he probably was lucky he had that gear and there are plenty of great tracks where he doesn't play

but there's no denying his contribution musically - he played with a great style and a great sound - check out ya ya's or any of the boots from '72 to'75 - he was rock solid but never just plodded along

as for your personal comments about him i have no comment 'tho not a few opinions

and i agree now he's part of the band DJ should be treated as such - does anybody know if he does other gigs when the stones aren't working?
10-23-02 07:57 AM
Maxlugar I don't know how you can say that Corgi, as Bill is one of the best parts about the band on the early albums. Those albums are pivitol in the Stones success.

Having Bill and Charlie in the band was extremely important. These were two guys who just shut up and played. A quiet, rock solid rythm section.

I think on the albums where you have Keith playing bass is due more to the hours Keith kept in the studio. This would happen to both Bill AND Charlie. They would come in and hear it and be like "I couldn't do better, go with it".

Now, of course in the later years Bill go fed up with it but you can't say he was just dead wood.

Handsome Girls alone will tell you otherwise.

Maxy
10-23-02 08:05 AM
nankerphelge I agree -- it is a magical union between him and Chaz -- and the rest really. I used to bash him, but Handsome Girls tells the story.

MSG 1/18?? They'll play a long Miss You wif Bill!

10-23-02 08:13 AM
Nellcote My 2 cents...

Wyman has stated he plays if the Stones are calling this their last tour. As long as Keith is alive, Bill does'nt play. Period.
10-23-02 08:29 AM
Maxlugar If Keith is dead, there is no Stones show and he doesn't play then either. So I don't get it.

10-23-02 08:42 AM
Nellcote Has'nt Keith stated on several occasions that he views the band being able to continue forever? He constantly mentions that he views Muddy, Howlin Wolf along with others, playing until they have dropped. Thus, I feel it would be safe to say that the band stays together until fate intervenes. So, Bill will ride the pine with other Stones players, eh?
10-23-02 08:59 AM
dkmonroe Well, if Bill will wait to be asked, it'll never happen. The Stones will never ask.

But as for Bill only playing on 40% of any particular album, that's nonsense. Bill played almost all of the bass on Stones albums. Brian never played bass, and I don't believe Mick T. played bass on Stones albums either, although it's certainly possible. If he was there and Bill wasn't, he would have played the bass part, but I'm not aware of any Stones track that feature Mick T. on bass. Still we're talking a track here and there, not 60% of any album. Keith managed to cop the bass parts on some very prominent Stones hits, and Ronnie copped them on some not-so-prominent Stones non-hits, but Bill played more than all of them put together.

The bottom line is, Bill is a great bass player. If he wasn't, he would have been gone very early on. That extra Vox amp wouldn't have kept the Stones satisfied for very long if he was a poor musician. It's a pity that he wasn't as agressive as Mick and Keith, because he let some juicy songwriting credits (such as JJF) and bass parts go to Keith, but it wasn't because Keith was a better bass player. Listen to JJF in the studio (Keith) and live (Bill). Keith's bass part isn't bad, but Bill's is better.

As for Daryl Jones, of course he's good. He's a professional musician. But he's not a rock'n'roll legend. Bill Wyman is.
10-23-02 09:03 AM
stonedinaustralia [quote]dkmonroe wrote:
I don't believe Mick T. played bass on Stones albums either, although it's certainly possible. If he was there and Bill wasn't, he would have played the bass part, but I'm not aware of any Stones track that feature Mick T. on bass.

dkm check the credits for "tumblin' dice" - i think you'll get quite a surprise
10-23-02 09:06 AM
dkmonroe Yeah, I forgot about Tumbling Dice, but it's hardly a suprise. It's not 60% of Exile either.
10-23-02 09:09 AM
stonedinaustralia also "torn & frayed" "shine a light" and "just wanna see his face" 'tho bill plummer (whatever happened to him) did the stand - up on the last

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-23-02 09:17 AM
Pants Make the Man The bass on 'Satisfaction' is truly sublime. Strange, but if you listen to it, it make's the rest of the song, except for Mick's vocal's, somehow dissappear into the background. Mick and Bill obviously listened to and cued off one another, 'Satisfaction' being the prime example of that.
10-23-02 09:20 AM
dkmonroe Actually, I just did some research, and it turns out that Mick T. played bass quite a bit on GHS and IORR, which I wasn't aware of, mostly because I dislike both albums by and large. It actually looks like saying Bill played on 40% of THOSE albums is quite generous, actually!

However, on the 60's albums (which I love and am most familiar with) it's Bill all over the place, with an occasional Keith. It looks like Bill got pushed out of the bass spot a lot during the 70's, but I still disagree with the earlier contention that he only played on about 40% of any given Stones album. Most of what you hear from 1963 to 1970 is Bill's bass.
10-23-02 09:24 AM
stonedinaustralia i don't know if he was "pushed out" - once they left england they became fractured as a band in a way and as max pointed out their modus operandi (chiba chibare chibatus!!)changed quite significantly up to the time of "some girls"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-23-02 10:09 AM
David who played bass on nasty habits?
10-23-02 10:25 AM
T&A Politics and personalities are the issue with both Wyman and Taylor and they are the reason any, even a one-off, reunion is unlikely.

Taylor has said he won't consider it unless personally asked by Mick or Keith, which won't happen - the Stones will only communicate via intermediaries, which have made contact with MT.

So it goes round and round...
10-23-02 10:29 AM
Maxlugar I'm not sure Nasty Habits has ever had a bass played on him.

But you never know with those Southern guys.......

Speaking of songs Keith played bass on, Live With Me is another.

MAXY!
10-23-02 11:02 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Speaking of songs Keith played bass on, Live With Me is another.

MAXY!

Sorryta burst ya bubble, Maxy, but according to the new remasters, that's our friend Micky T. Keith plays both guitars on "Live With Me".

Taylor was a bass machine on IORR... "Fingerprint File", now that's a way to go out with a bang. The band's lead guitarist, on his final album, on the final cut of his final album... playing a killer bass riff. The reason this song sucks live is because Bill couldn't keep up on that one.

Because Bill has small hands.

But that's not to say he's not a great bass player - he is, for sure! I'd like to see him guest with the Stones one time - but I don't think they'd let him back in. It'd be kind of "You left, man... sorry..."

-tSYX --- They're so twentieth century...
10-23-02 11:13 AM
F505 In London Keith asked Bill at gunpoint to reconsidder
his decision to leave the band with the well-know result. I don't think Bill wil be back because in interviews he has said some very negative things about Mick and Keith and the last albums of The Stones....
10-23-02 11:14 AM
Pants Make the Man JB said that Darryl went off on 'Live With Me' last night.
[Edited by Pants Make the Man]
10-23-02 11:16 AM
dkmonroe T&A, you mean that intermediaries have contacted Mick T. about a reunion, and he's holding out because it's not "Mick and Keith" personally? If true, what a dweeb!
10-23-02 11:22 AM
Pants Make the Man
quote:
F505 wrote:
In London Keith asked Bill at gunpoint to reconsidder
his decision to leave the band with the well-know result. I don't think Bill wil be back because in interviews he has said some very negative things about Mick and Keith and the last albums of The Stones....

"Negative thing's" like what? No to open old wound's, but I just haven't seen quote's from him slagging the band's 1990's output. Is that true? Did he slag them in the press?
10-23-02 11:25 AM
dkmonroe He made some disparaging remarks to a German newspaper back in 1998:

BBC News Wednesday, November 11, 1998 Published at 05:50 GMT

Wyman Slams Stones Former Rolling Stones bass player Bill Wyman says he can't stand his old group and would never buy any of their records. The 62-year-old, who now confines his musical appearances to occasional club dates, says he has not looked back since he quit the veteran group in 1991.

"I left the Stones because their music really annoyed me, so why should I go listen to their music?" Wyman told the German newspaper Bild.

"When you're a Rolling Stone, you do nothing but Stones music. My life is more exciting since I'm not one," he said.

Wyman did not confine his criticism to his own former colleagues - he also slated two of Britain's newest success as well.

He said: "Oasis bother me even more than the Rolling Stones." As for the Spice Girls: "I like talent, so I don't like them."

The Artist Formerly Known As Prince "was the last to really impress me in the early 80s. But he's really gone downhill since," he said.

[Edited by dkmonroe]
10-23-02 11:30 AM
sirmoonie Wyman was a honkey. And a pretty lame-ass white one at that.
Page: 1 2 3