ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Palais des Sports, Paris September 22, 1970
by Dick Waterman From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WINTER PEOPLES THOUGHTS/GHS Return to archive
10-22-02 01:37 AM
woodywoodpecker Hi guys,
whats people thoughts on GHS WINTER?
I would love to see this song done Live.
I play this song every Christmas Eve with a beer in hand
Its a little ol Tradition of Mine.

Great Song IMO

Whats people thoughts?
10-22-02 03:02 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
woodywoodpecker wrote:
Hi guys,
whats people thoughts on GHS WINTER?
I would love to see this song done Live.
I play this song every Christmas Eve with a beer in hand
Its a little ol Tradition of Mine.

Great Song IMO

Whats people thoughts?

A truly under-rated song IMO! My favourite of the ballad type songs. One the critics always miss because it is on the most unfairly maligned of the bands albums. Yes! play it live!
10-22-02 06:23 AM
luxury1 I saw that they did rehearse it in Toronto a coupla times this summer. I love it also. I love when I can hear Mick breathe on those ballads--this one especially. And GHS was my very first Stones album (that I bought myself, and didn't steal from my older brother's collection), and it remains one of my favorites. I listen to it regularly.
10-22-02 08:09 AM
nankerphelge Yeah they did rehearse it AND STILL HAVEN'T PLAYED IT!!!
GHS had the unfortunate distinction of following Exile and it was doomed from the start. Too bad -- it is a great Stones release -- Silver Train, Winter, 100 Years Ago, Hide Your Love.

Plus it has the whole voodoo, goat's head, Dancin' Wif Mr. D in the graveyard spooky evil thing going which I just luv!
But hey, that's just me!
I'm a devil...
10-22-02 08:49 AM
dealer squealing Great song, one of my favorites!
I also play this every christmas along with Trough the lonely nights and Run Rudolph Run!
I think they will play it sooner or later, it is a great opurtunity for Jaggers voice i think!
10-22-02 09:36 AM
winter Absolutely hate it,

winter
10-22-02 09:46 AM
luxury1 Oh yeah, and I forgot to add that I used to practice my "make-out" techniques on the front cover--loved that eerie pic of Mick, and there is a worn-out spot on my album cover right on his lips!!--I'm afraid it is a true story--hey, I was like 12 or something!
10-22-02 10:00 AM
nankerphelge Oh yeah, that was necessary...
10-22-02 07:25 PM
sly Winter is one of there most underrated songs and GHS is there most underrated album.
10-22-02 08:21 PM
doo doo doo Dude GHS is awesome. A true gem. I love keith's coming down again and taylor's solo on winter is magical.
10-22-02 08:55 PM
Freind are Junkies I love Winter and GHS, It looks like i have a new Christmas tradition.
10-23-02 05:52 AM
F505 One of the best ballads ever made
10-23-02 07:36 AM
corgi37 Hit a nerve here. If Winter isnt one of the best ballads in history, what is? Fucking McCartney's "Silly Love Songs"?. I too saw winter was rehearsed for this tour, and i was rapt. Of course, not surprised that they havent done it. Me thinks they are sticking to the 1-2 surprises this tour, no room for 3. Bloody shame. Live, this song would dominate. It would knock the socks off people who know it, and make converts of those who dont. "Hey mate (buddy for my Yank mates), what the fuck is this song called? Its great"? They must do it sooner or later.
10-23-02 08:04 AM
woodywoodpecker Well its nice to see Im not the only one
that regards the song Highly! I cant believe they have rehearsed this one. Its great to see the boys playing
different stuff this tour so I shouldnt complain.
Oh by the way Keef, Love ya but Im getting damn tired of Happy that reminds me I love keefs song "WE HAD IT ALL"
He knows how to deliver them ballads.

Pecker
10-23-02 08:17 AM
Maxlugar It is one of the most beautiful works of art I have ever heard.

I read a story once that said Mick did a take or two in that wonderful unique vocal you hear and then Bianca called. They had a fight and when he came back he had lost it. Never could get that vocal back.

That bitch almost cost us that song.

Mick Taylor's guitar and that special vocal mesh in a way that is not often found in music.

SHIVER!!!!

MAXY!!!
10-23-02 11:09 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Sorry... I like "Shine A Light" and "Coming Down Again" better...

(*tSYX prepares for beatdown*)

Goat's Head Soup had some great numbers that were marred by the semi-conscious Jimmy Miller trying to do an Exile In Kingston Proper rather than get on with their careers. But I've actually come to enjoy "Dancing With Mr. D", along with "100 Years Ago" and "Coming Down Again". But "Hide Your Love" is lifeless, "Can You Hear The Music" has a great chorus thing but sounds like a Satanic out-take the rest of the time, "Angie" is nice but overplayed. "Winter"s a great ballad, true, but I can name at least ten ballads I like more.

The best song on the album?

Probably "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)", followed closely by "Starfucker", although the Love You Live version's better.

Now I *know* they won't play "Heartbreaker" any more... damnit! Stupid terrorists! Taking away our favorite Goat's Head Soup song!

-tSYX --- You can't say we never tried...
10-23-02 11:17 AM
F505 What do you mean with 'our' SavageYoungXyzzy???
It certainly is not my favorite (though very good)...
10-23-02 11:53 PM
kc152 I always loved GHS,& Winter(and Comming Down Again) being my favorite. There's a Mick solo song,Hold On To Me Tonight,that has that that same sort of feel as Winter.
10-24-02 04:47 AM
Moonisup GHS soooooooo good, I think it has some very touchy songs on it:

And it sure been a cold, cold winter
And the wind ain't been blowin' from the south
It's sure been a cold, cold winter
And a lotta love is all burned out

It sure been a hard, hard winter
My feet been draggin' 'cross the ground
And I hope it's gonna be a long, hot summer
And a lotta love will be burnin' bright

And I wish I been out in California
When the lights on all the Christmas trees went out
But I been burnin' my bell, book and candle
And the restoration plays have all gone 'round

It sure been a cold, cold winter
My feet been draggin' 'cross the ground
And the fields has all been brown and fallow
And the springtime take a long way around

Yeah, and I wish I been out in Stone Canyon
When the lights on all the Christmas trees went out
But I been burnin' my bell, book and candle
And the restoration plays have all gone 'round

Sometimes I think about you, baby
Sometimes I cry about you

Sometimes I wanna wrap my coat around you
Sometimes I wanna keep you warm
Sometimes I wanna wrap my coat around you
Sometimes I wanna but I can't afford you

thanks to Gasx3

10-24-02 05:59 AM
Scot Rocks GHS is a fantastic album, seriously underated. Winter, Heartbreaker, Dancing With Mr D., 100 years ago, Starfucker, Coming Down Again, Silver Train, Angie...superb!!!!!!

Hopefully we might see some of these classics in 2003

FUCK YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
10-24-02 06:46 AM
Child of the Moon You know what I used to do in the summer days of my youth? (Okay, it was the summer of 2000, but it seems like my youth to me.) I used to brew a huge glass of iced tea, crank the fuckin' hell out of "Winter," lay back on the couch, and just sit, sip, and salivate. I'd seriously take every last ounce of that song in, and I swear you've never felt anything more relaxing in your whole life. Like a natural high...

I love that song. No, let me rephrase that. I *LOVE* that song. That is hasn't been played live yet in its entire 30-year history is a crying shame, and I mean that seriously. Brings a tear to the eye. Just like Nicky Hopkins's piano near the end, when Mick is just quietly singing (almost whispering), "Sometimes I wanna keep you warm, and sometimes I wanna wrap my coat around ya..."

Now I have to hear it again.
10-24-02 11:59 AM
Lazy Bones Winter, imo, is a great song. Yes, it was rehearsed...and I heard it! Twice! The first night I went to rehearsals it was the second song they did (after Monkey Man). I thought it sounded great.
If I'm not mistaken, it was rehearsed 3 or 4 nights. Don't quote me, though. I'd have to look back through the reheased songs and dates pages.
10-24-02 12:42 PM
Nellcote "Gonna wrap my coat around ya, woman"

Yeah, this is the cut. Mick T takes off on this tune to the outer limits.

We are so lucky for this cut on what is a largely trashed album, as it was considered inferior to the before released
Exile. We all here know it contains some terrific early 70's Stones.

My guess is that this song makes it's appearance on the tour, sometime after the season changes to, what else?

WINTAH!