ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Palais des Sports, Paris September 22, 1970
by Dick Waterman From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Beggars in Columbus Return to archive
10-21-02 08:26 AM
nankerphelge 'Bout frickin' time! Great to see No Expectations being played -- bet Ronnie just abused the shit outta that slide!! But they need to dig a bit deeper instead of just moving SFM and SFD around. Dear Doctor or Parachute Woman are calling out to be played live! But, as promised, I am insanely jealous!!

10-21-02 10:49 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The set list from http://www.iorr.com

Start Me Up
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Rocks Off
No Expectations
Stray Cat Blues
Street Fighting Man
Sympathy for the Devil
Tumblin' Dice
--- Introductions
Slipping Away
Before They Make Me Run
Love Train
You Got Me Rocking
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction
Mannish Boy (B-stage)
Like a Rolling Stone (B-stage)
Brown Sugar (B-stage)
Midnight Rambler (encore)
Jumping Jack Flash (encore)

Start time : 9:10
End time : 11:30

IORR Reviews at http://www.iorr.org/tour02/columbus.htm

Shiddobeeland reviews at http://pub6.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm105.showMessage?topicID=2.topic

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
10-21-02 10:57 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

ROBERT CAPLIN | DISPATCH
Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger entertains the crowd with old favorites and newer songs. The Stones brought their never-ending party to the Nationwide Arena last night >

There's an article at http://www.dispatch.com howevere Dispatch.com is provided at no charge to print subscribers of The Columbus Dispatch and at $4.95 per month to all others.

The story is at http://www.dispatch.com/features-story.php?story=dispatch/news/features02/oct02/1445525.html
10-21-02 10:59 AM
TomL What a great show. Pre party, party the show. We were able to here the sound check from the bar. Doug myself and Blue Lena were able to get right up front at the b-stage. Martha it was nice to finally meet you. Great time in the middle of nowhere. The boys rocked last night. Off to Ft Lauderdale this evening for both Fla shows. Nanky call me at home if your out there. My head is still tingling.
10-21-02 11:31 AM
Martha GREAT show and even greater time meeting Stonesdoug and you TomL...a real pleasure indeed.

I'll be joining you Nanky with the jealousy thing as this was my last show...that I have tickets for that is. I plotting to somehow get to the Oklahoma City and Denver shows next year....

No Expectations was gorgeous..I cried.

This has just gotta be the equivilant of rock and roll heaven!!!
10-21-02 12:27 PM
steel driving hammer Whats the 8th Wonder of the World?

Charlie?
10-21-02 08:08 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Whats the 8th Wonder of the World?

Charlie?

Nope. King Kong.

I really love the arena show. I think that it's the best entertainment the band has put on live since I've been attending Stones shows. The Columbus show was fantastic.

I got within a witch's pubic hair of getting backstage. I'm a long time acquaintance of the White Stripes and their entourage, and we went to the show with the expressed purpose of crashing the backstage area for a very detailed report for my cronies on Rocks Off! When we got to the venue, we ran into the Stripes' booking agent almost immediately, and he went back in search for additional "work passes" for us. Unfortunately, the Stones' ship is too tightly run and they were not able to get us in to the show. But aaargh, it was close. We almost pulled it off.

Tickets were ridiculously easy to acquire for half of face. If I had held out for longer than I did, I could have gotten two 300 seats for $200, I'm sure. As it was I paid $300 for two seats about halfway back on the floor (say row, uh, 30) where I was able to get great position for the b-stage, right next to the barricade near Charlie. He was wearing red socks.

The White Stripes were very good. The Nationwide Arena is a very nice, new, upscale, yuppified sporting facility, and the acoustics are amazingly clear. For both bands, it was the best sound I'd ever heard in an arena. The Stripes were actually rather loud, and their strange blues/garage/glam sound really worked in the arena. They did me right proud, and as far as a Stones show goes, I've personally never seen a better opening act. The crowd seemed to enjoy them, although they for the most part stayed seated.

I almost got my ass kicked by a big fat shaved headed guy in a Voodoo Lounge shirt because I refused to stay seated for the White Stripes. Trixie and I were standing up, clapping along, lending our support, when this guy behind us, drunk and obnoxious, started yelling "Hey - sit your asses down! Nobody else in the whole goddamn place is standing but you!"

Something about his tone was so belligerant, that I looked at him and said, "Well, then, we're the only ones rocking!" People in the section lended our support - we were obviously not just STANDING, but moving and clapping and having fun. The security guards stopped him as he rushed me, and made HIM sit down. But me, they let be. I made sure to shake my ass in his direction for about 5 minutes during the next song. I'd never even seen the White Stripes somewhere where I could sit down before, and wasn't about to sit down now.

The Stones were great. The sound was loud and clear, the mix was good, and my only complaint is the one I've consistently had in these shows. Keith is not loud enough, nor is he playing with as much intensity as everyone else. I'm beginning to wonder if he's not an inner band saboteur sometimes. See commentary on Sympathy for the Devil, below.

The entire band came out blazing. The first five numbers had a very very high energy level. Set the tone for the entire show.

Keith did play very well on Only Rock 'n' Roll, which is sporting a new breakdown towards the end where the guitars really get to strut before breaking into the chorus one more time.

If You Can't Rock Me was perfect. It was just perfect. It was the version of this song I've wanted to hear since I first heard it on Only Rock 'n' Roll, all the words right, great funky middle with a spotlight on Charlie, killer Ronnie wah wahs, the guitars in all the right places. They even bring the middle section back around at the end before heading out. Could not have been better. Fuck YUP!

Don't Stop continues to work, and even had a bit of a Keith solo this time around. Charlie gets another unaccompanied spotlight. The rave up at the end is really getting good. Featured some good adlibs from Mick surrounding the pictures of you locked away line.

Rocks Off beat the Tower by a long shot, and was the best version I've seen. After a slightly slow start, it was really kicking by the end - the slow section was climaxed by Charlie really bringing up the tempo, doubletiming before the fast part came back, which really made the band smoke on "The sunshine bores the daylights out of me" line. I was certainly airborne during that part and so was the band. Definitely Charlie's number.

I have to agree with Nanker that the Beggar's set could have been deeper. I could not believe they didn't at least play Salt of the Earth, and Trixie was desperate to hear Parachute Woman. That said, the Street Fighting Man was great, with Ronnie's electric sitar getting a wah-wah treatment, which was his pedal of choice last night. Neither No Expectations nor Stray Cat were up to the level of squalid splendor of the Tower.

Sympathy was just strange. First off, its tempo is too laid back, and there is little menace to its current arrangement. But what was weird was Keith's and Ronnie's interaction on stage. Did anyone else figure out what was going on? When it came time for Keith to play his solo, Ronnie started playing lead along with him, like he was going to add an accompaniment, which I say, yay, how about some weave? But Keith looked at him and I think told him NOT TO PLAY during his solo. Which pissed Ronnie off fierce. He stood there, like a robot, with his hand over his head, and he would bring down his pick when a chord change happened, make a ringing noise, and then go back into his stock still robot pose. There was definitely a look of anger on his face. As Keith crossed the stage, Ronnie gave him the evil eye, seemed to actually flip him off, and eventually walked over to Darryl Jones and said something to him. By this time he had stopped playing completely. I really got the impression that Ronnie felt like what Keith was playing was bullshit (and it kind of was) and that Keith should either put up or shut up when it comes to telling people what to do and how to do it right. But maybe I'm projecting. I would LOVE to hear from anyone else what their impressions were of this very bizarre version of Sympathy. It was the only time during the show that I actually stopped having fun and just watched, totally perplexed.

As if to answer for Keith's rambling incoherence on Sympathy, Ronnie played an explosive, gloriously melodic solo on Tumbling Dice, which now has some fun Mick falsetto.

During the intros, Ronnie did his hand over the head wave back and forth crowd bow. When it came time to introduce Charlie, he sort of mockingly did the same. Doing a funny little wave with his hands half up. It was very charming.

Keith sang and played both of his numbers very well. Before they Make Me Run was really good, with no train wreck qualities. It was like they were really trying to get through it.

Love Train is just outstanding. It deserves to be the centerpiece of the show like it is, is a perfect reintroduction of Mick and showcases everything good about the Rolling Stones 2002 in an inspired setting. This version included the encore portion after they finished, a la the Orpheum. They must get this to radio stations right away.

Can't You Hear Me Knockin' was when Jagger took over the show with his harp playing. He seemed especially into his harmonica last night and his solo, with all sorts of breathy little runs and tongue stops, was brilliant. I have never heard Mick Jagger playing better harmonica than he is on this tour, and I think it's mainly because of the CYHMK solo slot. Charlie and Keith seemed less concentrated in their support roles than they were in Philly.

You Got Me Rockin' was very exciting. Sometimes I wish this song would not follow me around so much, but whatever. I am almost ready to give up and say, OK, this is a great live 90s Rolling Stones song.

Satisfaction, however, was a locomotive. This version was so fast, so alive, so swingin and violent that I almost fell down dancing. I did get one of those running stitches in my side.

The B-set was more harmonica madness, with a very inspired Mannish Boy - nice Keith/Ronnie duelling, lots of fun. The Like a Rolling Stone was the best I'd ever seen them do, even if Mick did fuck up and sing the "finest schools all right" verse twice. His harp made up for it, and the sound was outstanding. The White Stripes had done a version of Love Sick in the opening slot, and I thought that it was cool as shit that both bands did Dylan covers. I didn't like their version of this song when it came out but I give up my resistance. I surrender, but I don't give myself away. On this tour it's great.

The best thing about Sympathy being in the Beggar's slot was that I knew I was going to get a Midnight Rambler encore. More inspirational harmonica, and it was very cool for the encore to be the five core members plus Chuck at first before the big JJF all band finale. Rambler, as ever, did not disappoint.

Lovely night, lovely show. At the end of the night, standing in line at the crowded souvenier stand, looking for a red sparkly key chain, I ran into a couple groupies moderne, who told me about partying with Bernard Fowler and Bill, Keith's bodyguard, "all night long". They were funny and obviously drugged, and freely shared that they were staying at the Hyatt, where the Stones were supposed to be, but they'd checked out. I looked back at my wife standing patiently while I was crushed in the crowd, and sighed. Couldn't start up with a "Hey I'm staying at the Hyatt too, and I know I'm no Bernard and Bill but . . ."

Such are the sacrifices one makes as he/she grows older and more responsible. Oh well. I proceeded to drive all night, on my way to visit my old stomping grounds in Missouri for a week. Listening to late night radio and swilling coffee, choking down classic rock songs healthy ("Helen Wheels", "Surrender"), fun but stupid ("Riding the Storm Out", "Sand Man") and annoying ("November Rain", not once but TWICE in two hours on two different stations. YUCK.)

So here I am in Missouri. Will not be checking in much this week, and shall miss you all.

Nasty!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
10-21-02 11:16 PM
Child of the Moon Thanks much, Nasty Habits. Hmmm... while I hope there's no hard feelings between Keith and Ronnie, it would be kind of fun to see something like that again.

"Y'know, I sometimes get the feeling there are thousands of people watching us. Is it just me, or...?" -Ronnie Wood (per Keith Richards)
10-22-02 02:14 AM
parmeda Thanks Nasty...

Enjoy your needed rest, lol.
10-22-02 11:09 AM
Jaxx Tuesday, October 22, 2002
Rolling Stones gathering moss

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Songs are timeless, performers aren't

By Chris Varias
The Cincinnati Enquirer

COLUMBUS - Mick pandering to the crowd at every opportunity with his decades-old kung-fu dance moves. Keith uttering "Thank you Columb-i-us!" into the mic. Ron dropkicking guitar picks into the front rows. Charlie doing, well, whatever it is Charlie does.

When the year is 2002, and each Rolling Stones tour packs less of a wallop than the last, these are the images in which the sellout crowd at Nationwide Arena in Columbus Sunday night could take comfort. Because if a $300 ticket-holder wasn't distracted by the Stones' zany stage antics, he may have judged the band's performance on song-by-song quality, which in turn would make him question his sizable investment.

The nearly 21/2-hour performance had its highlights, like the finale, when they played "Mannish Boy," "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Brown Sugar" on a mini-stage in the middle of the main floor, and the revved-up encore of "Midnight Rambler" and "Jumping Jack Flash."

But the meat of the set was littered with missed opportunities - great song selections but mediocre playing.

The main culprit was the man who reportedly dried himself out for the tour, guitarist Ron Wood.

Mr. Wood single-handedly torpedoed a four-song block from Beggars Banquet. It began with "No Expectations," and Mr. Wood's acoustic-slide playing was the key to the song. Unfortunately, some of the licks were never played, as he was busy adjusting the waist on his dungarees.

"Stray Cat Blues" and "Street Fighting Man" fared better, with help from large ensemble arrangements that included longtime Stones-road keyboardist Chuck Leavell, three backup singers and a four-piece brass section anchored by saxophonist Bobby Keys. Darryl Jones, who has been with the band since Bill Wyman quit, was back playing bass.

Mr. Wood hardly played at all during the last Beggars Banquet number, "Sympathy for the Devil." His contribution to the tune was flicking his cigarette at guitarist Keith Richards, then walking over to retrieve it and smoke it some more.

Led by drummer Charlie Watts, the Stones sustained the jazzy coda of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," with Mr. Keys contributing a note-perfect rendition of his solo from the Sticky Fingers cut. But when it came time for Mr. Wood to play the Mick Taylor solo, he came up short not only because he's a pure rhythm player, but also because he didn't seem to care.

Worse than what Mr. Wood did or didn't do was a version of the O'Jays' "Love Train," which the band performed in a disco style faithful to the original. Singer Mick Jagger wore a spangled white-leather overcoat for the occasion. Bootsy Collins might have been able to get away with it, but it looked truly ridiculous on the 59-year-old Englishman.

Equally surreal but far more satisfying was the Stones' choice to open the show, the White Stripes. It has been a meteoric rise for the Detroit blues-deconstructionists, who not to long ago could be seen around these parts playing underground rock shows and the Southgate House. The arena was about half full for their 40-minute set, and the crowd seemed to enjoy the songs from last year's album White Blood Cells plus covers of Dolly Parton's "Jolene" and Bob Dylan's "Love Sick."
10-22-02 11:15 AM
nankerphelge Everyone is entitled to be stupid -- but this guy is abusing the privilege!
10-22-02 12:24 PM
sirmoonie Strange review by Varias. He threw in a lot of stuff that makes it look like he knows what he's talking about, but he certainly didn't see the same show Nasty Habits did.

Would have loved to see SFTD go haywire like that. These guys are human (so some "people" tell me) and their mistakes can be as entertaining as their triumphs. Bet they had a good bash at each other backstage about it.

"Dress me up like a pimp and call me Bootsie, Ronnie!"
10-22-02 01:41 PM
Martha GREAT review Nasty...I concur with everything you said. Saw the whole Ronnie got pissed at Keef thing and him going over the Bernard and telling him all about it ..etc...and later Charlie waving his hand and laughing.

The White Stripes are really talented we loved their performance...sorry you didn't make it backstage.

Thanks for the review. I relieved the show through your eyes...

I heard on Ken Burn's new program airing on PBS that the 8th wonder of the world is the........ Brooklyn Bridge. But King Kong should be on that list somewhere!
10-22-02 02:11 PM
sirmoonie Must have been a real dearth of good reviews of Columbus, because this not exactly complementary one is taken from official site.

Hope I get to see the footage of SFTD from this one though.

-------
Aaron Beck for THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH reports:

Used to be the Rolling Stones recorded a full album, secured sponsorship from a telephone company or something, and hit the road for a good long while.

The recipe remained the same for the tour that stopped last night in Nationwide Arena, with the exception of the first ingredient. This time, the Stones managed to produce four new songs before calling it a day in the studio.

The approach apparently allowed the 40-year-old band more time to concentrate on rehearsing a catalog that contains some of the toughest-sounding rock songs the world knows and making them even tougher.

From the start and throughout the night, guitarists Keith Richards and Ron Wood, drummer Charlie Watts, lead singer Mick Jagger and longtime hired hand, bassist Darryl Jones wore knowing grins as if to say, "Yeah, okay mates, now feel this."

When the curtain rose, Richards lurched to center stage and hit an open chord. Away they went with Start Me Up, from 1981.

If Wood seemed slap-happy here -- he raised his middle finger at Richards 30 seconds into the song -- he became only sillier with each selection. During Sympathy for the Devil, while a flaming Stones tongue logo burned on video screens, Wood casually strummed and smoked a cigarette. Soon, he wasn't playing at all and flicked his fag at the back of the soloing Richards. Like a Rolling Stone, Wood strutted and swaggered over, picked up the cigarette and began to smoke the remaining tobacco.

No wonder Richards recently told Rolling Stone magazine that he can't discern between a sober or drunk Ron Wood.

Goofiness notwithstanding, tunes such as It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Tumbling Dice, Rocks Off and one the band never has played live, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, simply came alive.

Jagger, strong as always in voice, danced like a rooster with hot feet, of course, but Richards, geez, standing still music's Bohemian No. 1 says all anyone needs to know about rock attitude and heart.

The Stones call this 40th anniversary, props-free tour "stripped down.'' If anyone truly desired a stripped-down affair, they arrived early to see openers the White Stripes.

The Detroit duo's stage set-up could have fit into Jagger's hotel bathroom but the noise Meg and Jack White created with their drums and electric guitars (and on a couple of tunes -- keyboards) packed a wallop.

Jack White sang like a Marlboro-throated witch, his voice quavering as if the body it belonged to was standing in knee-high flames. Meg White, whom Jack called "his older sister," locked into Jack's eyes and bruised her kick drum. The dark blues lament Death Letter, Dolly Parton's man-stealing Jolene and Bob Dylan's Love Sick superbly complemented the White Stripes' own songs.
10-22-02 02:19 PM
Moonisup well maybe woody had a bad day, anyway, it doesn't matter. I have one too on occasion
10-22-02 02:35 PM
Martha Oh...by the way....

Chris Varias doesn't know what the FUCK he's talkin' about......period!

Ronnie Wood for President.
10-22-02 04:13 PM
twicks1 I hate, hate, hate to say it...but Ronnie was goofing off more at this show than any of the ones I saw in '97 or '99. The little temper tantrum during Sympathy lasted for quite a few songs, and even then things just didn't seem right. Some of his leads were just bizarre. Sometimes he spent more time toying with his belt (which kept dropping down from around his waist) than he did playing.

It still couldn't ruin a mostly good, sometimes great show.
10-22-02 07:28 PM
glencar Never mind what the "pros" wrote; Nasty Habits had one of the best reviews I've ever seen in these forums. Nice job.
10-22-02 10:11 PM
greenpete
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Nope. King Kong.

I really love the arena show. I think that it's the best entertainment the band has put on live since I've been attending Stones shows. The Columbus show was fantastic.

I got within a witch's pubic hair of getting backstage. I'm a long time acquaintance of the White Stripes and their entourage, and we went to the show with the expressed purpose of crashing the backstage area for a very detailed report for my cronies on Rocks Off! When we got to the venue, we ran into the Stripes' booking agent almost immediately, and he went back in search for additional "work passes" for us. Unfortunately, the Stones' ship is too tightly run and they were not able to get us in to the show. But aaargh, it was close. We almost pulled it off.

Tickets were ridiculously easy to acquire for half of face. If I had held out for longer than I did, I could have gotten two 300 seats for $200, I'm sure. As it was I paid $300 for two seats about halfway back on the floor (say row, uh, 30) where I was able to get great position for the b-stage, right next to the barricade near Charlie. He was wearing red socks.

The White Stripes were very good. The Nationwide Arena is a very nice, new, upscale, yuppified sporting facility, and the acoustics are amazingly clear. For both bands, it was the best sound I'd ever heard in an arena. The Stripes were actually rather loud, and their strange blues/garage/glam sound really worked in the arena. They did me right proud, and as far as a Stones show goes, I've personally never seen a better opening act. The crowd seemed to enjoy them, although they for the most part stayed seated.

I almost got my ass kicked by a big fat shaved headed guy in a Voodoo Lounge shirt because I refused to stay seated for the White Stripes. Trixie and I were standing up, clapping along, lending our support, when this guy behind us, drunk and obnoxious, started yelling "Hey - sit your asses down! Nobody else in the whole goddamn place is standing but you!"

Something about his tone was so belligerant, that I looked at him and said, "Well, then, we're the only ones rocking!" People in the section lended our support - we were obviously not just STANDING, but moving and clapping and having fun. The security guards stopped him as he rushed me, and made HIM sit down. But me, they let be. I made sure to shake my ass in his direction for about 5 minutes during the next song. I'd never even seen the White Stripes somewhere where I could sit down before, and wasn't about to sit down now.

The Stones were great. The sound was loud and clear, the mix was good, and my only complaint is the one I've consistently had in these shows. Keith is not loud enough, nor is he playing with as much intensity as everyone else. I'm beginning to wonder if he's not an inner band saboteur sometimes. See commentary on Sympathy for the Devil, below.

The entire band came out blazing. The first five numbers had a very very high energy level. Set the tone for the entire show.

Keith did play very well on Only Rock 'n' Roll, which is sporting a new breakdown towards the end where the guitars really get to strut before breaking into the chorus one more time.

If You Can't Rock Me was perfect. It was just perfect. It was the version of this song I've wanted to hear since I first heard it on Only Rock 'n' Roll, all the words right, great funky middle with a spotlight on Charlie, killer Ronnie wah wahs, the guitars in all the right places. They even bring the middle section back around at the end before heading out. Could not have been better. Fuck YUP!

Don't Stop continues to work, and even had a bit of a Keith solo this time around. Charlie gets another unaccompanied spotlight. The rave up at the end is really getting good. Featured some good adlibs from Mick surrounding the pictures of you locked away line.

Rocks Off beat the Tower by a long shot, and was the best version I've seen. After a slightly slow start, it was really kicking by the end - the slow section was climaxed by Charlie really bringing up the tempo, doubletiming before the fast part came back, which really made the band smoke on "The sunshine bores the daylights out of me" line. I was certainly airborne during that part and so was the band. Definitely Charlie's number.

I have to agree with Nanker that the Beggar's set could have been deeper. I could not believe they didn't at least play Salt of the Earth, and Trixie was desperate to hear Parachute Woman. That said, the Street Fighting Man was great, with Ronnie's electric sitar getting a wah-wah treatment, which was his pedal of choice last night. Neither No Expectations nor Stray Cat were up to the level of squalid splendor of the Tower.

Sympathy was just strange. First off, its tempo is too laid back, and there is little menace to its current arrangement. But what was weird was Keith's and Ronnie's interaction on stage. Did anyone else figure out what was going on? When it came time for Keith to play his solo, Ronnie started playing lead along with him, like he was going to add an accompaniment, which I say, yay, how about some weave? But Keith looked at him and I think told him NOT TO PLAY during his solo. Which pissed Ronnie off fierce. He stood there, like a robot, with his hand over his head, and he would bring down his pick when a chord change happened, make a ringing noise, and then go back into his stock still robot pose. There was definitely a look of anger on his face. As Keith crossed the stage, Ronnie gave him the evil eye, seemed to actually flip him off, and eventually walked over to Darryl Jones and said something to him. By this time he had stopped playing completely. I really got the impression that Ronnie felt like what Keith was playing was bullshit (and it kind of was) and that Keith should either put up or shut up when it comes to telling people what to do and how to do it right. But maybe I'm projecting. I would LOVE to hear from anyone else what their impressions were of this very bizarre version of Sympathy. It was the only time during the show that I actually stopped having fun and just watched, totally perplexed.

As if to answer for Keith's rambling incoherence on Sympathy, Ronnie played an explosive, gloriously melodic solo on Tumbling Dice, which now has some fun Mick falsetto.

During the intros, Ronnie did his hand over the head wave back and forth crowd bow. When it came time to introduce Charlie, he sort of mockingly did the same. Doing a funny little wave with his hands half up. It was very charming.

Keith sang and played both of his numbers very well. Before they Make Me Run was really good, with no train wreck qualities. It was like they were really trying to get through it.

Love Train is just outstanding. It deserves to be the centerpiece of the show like it is, is a perfect reintroduction of Mick and showcases everything good about the Rolling Stones 2002 in an inspired setting. This version included the encore portion after they finished, a la the Orpheum. They must get this to radio stations right away.

Can't You Hear Me Knockin' was when Jagger took over the show with his harp playing. He seemed especially into his harmonica last night and his solo, with all sorts of breathy little runs and tongue stops, was brilliant. I have never heard Mick Jagger playing better harmonica than he is on this tour, and I think it's mainly because of the CYHMK solo slot. Charlie and Keith seemed less concentrated in their support roles than they were in Philly.

You Got Me Rockin' was very exciting. Sometimes I wish this song would not follow me around so much, but whatever. I am almost ready to give up and say, OK, this is a great live 90s Rolling Stones song.

Satisfaction, however, was a locomotive. This version was so fast, so alive, so swingin and violent that I almost fell down dancing. I did get one of those running stitches in my side.

The B-set was more harmonica madness, with a very inspired Mannish Boy - nice Keith/Ronnie duelling, lots of fun. The Like a Rolling Stone was the best I'd ever seen them do, even if Mick did fuck up and sing the "finest schools all right" verse twice. His harp made up for it, and the sound was outstanding. The White Stripes had done a version of Love Sick in the opening slot, and I thought that it was cool as shit that both bands did Dylan covers. I didn't like their version of this song when it came out but I give up my resistance. I surrender, but I don't give myself away. On this tour it's great.

The best thing about Sympathy being in the Beggar's slot was that I knew I was going to get a Midnight Rambler encore. More inspirational harmonica, and it was very cool for the encore to be the five core members plus Chuck at first before the big JJF all band finale. Rambler, as ever, did not disappoint.

Lovely night, lovely show. At the end of the night, standing in line at the crowded souvenier stand, looking for a red sparkly key chain, I ran into a couple groupies moderne, who told me about partying with Bernard Fowler and Bill, Keith's bodyguard, "all night long". They were funny and obviously drugged, and freely shared that they were staying at the Hyatt, where the Stones were supposed to be, but they'd checked out. I looked back at my wife standing patiently while I was crushed in the crowd, and sighed. Couldn't start up with a "Hey I'm staying at the Hyatt too, and I know I'm no Bernard and Bill but . . ."

Such are the sacrifices one makes as he/she grows older and more responsible. Oh well. I proceeded to drive all night, on my way to visit my old stomping grounds in Missouri for a week. Listening to late night radio and swilling coffee, choking down classic rock songs healthy ("Helen Wheels", "Surrender"), fun but stupid ("Riding the Storm Out", "Sand Man") and annoying ("November Rain", not once but TWICE in two hours on two different stations. YUCK.)

So here I am in Missouri. Will not be checking in much this week, and shall miss you all.

Nasty!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]

10-23-02 06:12 AM
F505 it seems the old debate starts again: is ronnie still as good as he was in the seventies? I've my doubts too but I've only heard the Fleetwood boot so far....
10-23-02 06:22 AM
stonedinaustralia welcome greenpete - an interesting post particulalry as it is your first

you will have to get a handle on the quote facility or if it was your intention to simply endorse nasty's thread you could just say something like "what nasty said" or "i agree" - great as it was,if i wanted to read it again i would have simply gone back to the original post

no just kidding - but didn't you have something you wanted to say for yourself?

nasty - i find your comments and those that followed re the "spat" between k&r not a little disconcerting - interesting that you were the only one to suggest that keith was not entirely the innocent party - let's hope they not only put a lid on it but totally sort out the problem - while internal animosity within a band can sometimes produce great performances i would say that at this stage of the game it would be no good for the stones AT ALL

let's hope it's just a passing thing - but for ronnie to be so public about it makes you wonder if it doesn't run a bit too deep

anyway, as usual great work - you handled the moron with total elan - it's funny how sometimes the security can work for you

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-23-02 10:19 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote

nasty - interesting that you were the only one to suggest that keith was not entirely the innocent party - let's hope they not only put a lid on it but totally sort out the problem - while internal animosity within a band can sometimes produce great performances i would say that at this stage of the game it would be no good for the stones AT ALL

It IS interesting, isn't it my stonedfriend?

I think it's time that fans take a long hard long at what is going on stage left.

Some people have been getting a free ride for too long.

What's that line from Bowie's Cracked Actor?

"Stiff on my legend . . ."

Something like that.

Nasty as I'll ever be.

10-23-02 10:54 PM
stonedinaustralia nasty - i'm sure you appreciate that i place great credence in your observations - i would trust your perceptions of the interpersonal dynamics of the boys over any of the "hacks" who have also provided reports

what was MJ's attitude to all this while it was going down?? - the recently posted pics of the Ft.Lauderdale show show k&r seemingly getting along

my real concern is that by the time they are due here - mid Feb next year - they will all be heartily sick to death of one another and that that will be reflected in the performance

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-24-02 08:14 AM
Maxlugar My first feeling was to jump all over Keith about this. My initial reaction was to call him a hypocrite for not letting Ronnie take some of the spotlight from him now that he is clean. You know, the exact thing Keith complians about Mick doing to HIM when he got clean and wanted to take some of the load?

But after reading so many comments about how Ronnie was acting and playing I gotta think he was drinking again.

If he was, I'd say Keith is Justified.

But I wasn't there.

If Ronnie is off the wagon he is jeopardizing the tour.

Oh and Nasty, I was able to make the CD's after all. Email me at home! They're yours buddy.
10-24-02 12:06 PM
Nasty Habits Mick was off dancing stage right and didn't seem to notice what was going on very much - he was busy playing with his dancers and singers.

Although who knows, maybe he saw what was going down and went over to the Chuck/Lisa/Bernard/Blondie part of the stage to get the hell out of the way.

I really took it to be a temporary meltdown between them - R & K hugged at the end of the show, and the two of them really clicked on Before They Make Me Run - Ronnie was very good on his slide guitar part on that song. The whole version of BTMMR made me think some real rehearsal or at least determination went into this number - they weren't gonna wreck it yet again.

I honestly think Keith told Ronnie to back the fuck off on Sympathy and it pissed Ronnie off because Ronnie knows Keith could use some accompaniment on that solo to make it genuinely exciting, or at least sound good.

But again, I could be projecting.