ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Palais des Sports, Paris September 22, 1970
by Dick Waterman From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hey Beer, regarding Open G... Return to archive
10-19-02 07:24 PM
steel driving hammer Is the GDGBD open G Sir?

If so, is the 1st G, supposed to be the 2nd string?
Because the first one is left off?
I have a BEAUtiful Tele and it's tuned as GDGDBE.
But it doesn't sound too well.

Please, any advice on the thickness of the last GBD chords would be appreciated.
I call my local guitar shops and they haven't the slightest clue!
Like on this months cover of The Rolling Stone w/ Keith.
The bottom strings are supposed to be thinner but they look thick.
Like is the last string "D" supposed to be on the 3rd string in non Stones music?
Does Keith use the thicker strings on the 5th n' 6th tuners?

Please advise, I'll buy you a Beer.

Thanks you and Cheers.

Stones.
10-19-02 07:48 PM
beer i replied in the other topic.
i really don't know a whole lot about the technical side of guitar stuff. i don't even know the names of the chords i play! i learned how to play guitar from listenin to Stones albums and tryin to play along with 'em. i learned a few things from old Keith interviews i've read.

There are other people on this board that know alot more about technicl guitar stuff that will shine a light on this.

Good luck!

10-19-02 07:55 PM
steel driving hammer Thanks Beer.

Lets drink anyway though ok?

Seems the Cardinal Fang is busy at the moment.

Just longing to get that strum you know?

10-19-02 08:02 PM
beer
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Thanks Beer.

Lets drink anyway though ok?

Seems the Cardinal Fang is busy at the moment.

Just longing to get that strum you know?

Sure thing! I'm gonna have a drink and put on side two of Talk is Cheap. Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
10-19-02 08:12 PM
steel driving hammer Great fucking album!

Could of used Mick, Ronnie and Charlie on it though...

If they didn't go solo w/ Talk Is Cheap, Main Offender and Wandering Spirit,

we could of had another Exile.

Yup.

10-20-02 12:06 AM
no_cole_porter Hey Steel Driving Hammer,
Just a little advice on Open G. Basically all the chords you play on Open G are pretty simple 1 finger barre chords. 2nd Fret is A, 4th is B, 5th is C, 7th is D, 9th is E, 10th is F and 12th is G.

A lot of Stones songs use the same chord patterns. If you can learn to play Brown Sugar, You can play Start Me Up, Honky Tonk Women, Tumblin' Dice, Street Fighting Man, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Happy, Hand Of Fate, Before They Make Me Run, You Got Me Rocking, Love Is Strong, Mixed Emotions, Highwire, Rock And A Hard Place, Don't Stop And Take It So Hard, Struggle, How I Wish And Wicked As It Seems from Keef's Solo albums.

But it's those suspended fourths is what makes the Stones the Stones.

I realize that Street Fighting Man And Jumping Jack Flash were done originally in Open E/Open D tuning, But Keef uses Open G tuning for these songs live.

Good Luck!
10-20-02 10:16 PM
steel driving hammer Thanks no_cole_porter!

I will print that out and try to study it.
It seems easy knowing Brown Sugar then I will be as free as bird swaying.
But first I must get the first step, IE tune the guitar.

I know the the chords are easy w/ the 2/3 left hand finger push.

Roll on.

Stones music means almost everything to me.
10-20-02 11:40 PM
beer Hey Steel Drivin Hammer, check this out

http://www.hci.net/~lmn/tunings.htm
10-21-02 12:34 AM
no_cole_porter Does anyone else know of any Stones songs done in Open G?
10-21-02 12:52 AM
beer Rip this joint, All down the line, Soul survivor.....
maybe Hand of fate
10-21-02 09:44 AM
steel driving hammer Thank you guys.

Honestly and Genuinely as John Henry (the Steel Driving Man) was...
10-22-02 04:06 AM
no_cole_porter Oi Steel,
What kinda set-up are you playing through? I remember you mentioning a Tele and my eyes just lit up...LOL

Keith uses Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's. If you go to your local guitar shop, You just ask for a set of 10's. 10 is the gauge for the high E string.

If you put a Capo on the 4th fret, So the guitar would be tuned to B, You can play Tumblin' Dice, Street Fighting Man, Happy and Jumping Jack Flash.

If you move the Capo up one fret, to the 5th fret, It will be tuned to C and you can play You Can't Always Get What You Want.

If you're in standard tuning, EADGBE, Slap the Capo on the 7th fret and you've got Midnight Rambler.

Also, If you watch Live At The Hollywood Palladium, On Happy, Keith's got the capo on 2nd fret I believe, Because it sounds a bit odd.

[Edited by no_cole_porter]
10-22-02 09:29 AM
steel driving hammer Yes I have a BEAUtiful black and white Tele.
Looks exact to the one Ronnie used in the She's So Cold Vid.

Seems I like polishing it more than playing.

But thanks for the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky.

Noticing Keiths guitar on this months Rolling Stone, the last 3 strings are supposed to be thin, but they look like more of a Bass string.

You spoke of YCAGWYW, I can play that down the the note on DGDGBD. Just Keiths, and it sounds good btw. But not Ronnie's style for it changes every night.

Thanks for the info, prolly got more here than at the "other board"....

10-22-02 11:17 AM
steel driving hammer Some nice reading on IORR message board...

Author: jeffreyscott (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 10-20-2002 02:27

keef has always used a capo on alot of songs because it doesn't require
him to play barre chords. he started doing this in the 70's to help himself
make it through the shows. one question comes to mind as i look at the cover, what is sticking out of keef's waist band? a flick blade? also,
what interview has keef talking about his fingers?

Reply To This Message

Re: Keith's Fingers
Author: Glenn Harper (---.nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: 10-20-2002 05:15

I think he would still find a way to play if he had no fingers,that man is a dedicated musican.

Reply To This Message

Author: Mathijs (---.dial.tiscali.nl)
Date: 10-20-2002 13:18

>>>keef has always used a capo on alot of songs because it doesn't requirehim to play barre chords. he started doing this in the 70's to help himself make it through the shows. one question comes to mind as i look at the cover, what is sticking out of keef's waist band? a flick blade? also,
what interview has keef talking about his fingers?
>>>

This is quite nonsense. The only reason Keith uses a capo on many songs is to raise the key to B and C, as this is the key Jagger sings best in. Second, if you play Tumbling Dice or Jumping Jack Flash in G for example, the licks sound muddy. Raised to be all the slides and riffing jump out far better. That's part of Keith's song writing skills.

Mathijs

----------------------------------------------------------------
The Rolling Stones in Review : http://stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl/

Bootlegs for Sale - The Guitars of Keith Richards
Bootleg Reviews - Brussels Affair 1973

Reply To This Message

Date: 10-20-2002 18:14

refer: bockris bio page 213 paragraph four nick kent explains,

he was on automatic on the '73 tour... All his guitars had capos on them
so he didn't have to play bar chords.
this was of course due to his drug use
I was making reference to this as a point that he has used capos in the past to help himself through concerts.
I'm well aware of the use of capos to achieve different tunings and keith's frequent use of this technique.
what I meant was that as he is getting older he may lean towards the
capo to help him save on his fingers. even if he says that they don't bother
him there surely must be some stiffness on the mornings after a show.
but thanks for the tuning theory anyway.

Reply To This Message

Author: Lori (---.214.107.176.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: 10-20-2002 20:04

If Keith says that it doesnt hurt ..it doesnt..

Reply To This Message

Author: Mathijs (---.dial.tiscali.nl)
Date: 10-20-2002 23:37

Changing the key by using a capo makes no difference to the amount of chords or the form of chords played. E.g., playing Tumbling Dice in G is exectly the same as playing it in B with a capo. This is just another bullshit story by Bockris, as is most of his ideas on the Stones.

Mathijs

Bootleg Reviews - Brussels Affair 1973

Reply To This Message

Author: justamonkeyman (---.asis.com)
Date: 10-21-2002 19:29

Bring back Mick Taylor

jstamkymn

Reply To This Message

Date: 10-22-2002 02:58

mathijs- were you there on the '73 tour of europe? in case you hadn't realized this keith was a full blown junkie at the time. i gave you a reference from nick kent, not bockris. nick kent was there on the tour so i should think that he would know what was going on in terms of getting
keith on stage.
in case you didn't know this without keith there is no rolling stones, so
at the time they did what was necessary to get the music out and get the
money in.
have you read the bockris bio? if you had then you would know that the
core of the book revolves around five of keith biggest interviews and has
over seventy five primary sources and interviews including stanley booth,
robert greenfield, and william burroughs. so it isn't bockris 'bullshit' it's
people who were actually there and know keith.
everyone knows that keith is the man as far a guitar players are concerned and that he will keep on playing no matter what.
again, thanks for the guitar theory.

Reply To This Message

Author: Mathijs (195.193.67.---)
Date: 10-22-2002 11:00

Jeffrey Scott, Bockris is a guy completely full of shit, who just went the wrong way. If you see him talking in the 4 hour Let It Bleed special, you know not to trust this guy. Jagger said last month in Germany: "he's a fool and an idiot, I don't want to talk about him".

Further, Keith has been using capo's since 1968, only to raise the pitch of the song in order to fit with Jagger's voice, nothing more. In 1972 and 1973 Keith STARTED to be a junky, but wasn't one yet (see Bill Wyman's books e.g.), and Keith's playing on the 1973 tour was, IMHO, his best ever playing. Listen to Berlin, Brussels, Antwerp, Rottherdam (3 shows) Essen and Munich, and you will hear a ripping Keith being technically at his top. His playing started to suffer from the drugs in 1975, where he sometimes seemed to have these drop-outs, like he suddenly forgets who he is and what he is doing. His left hand seems to have become somewhat stiffer.

If we take a normal 1973 set list, we find that 8 out of 15 songs are played without a capo. Of the 7 songs played with a capo, 5 are played in open G tuning and the capo is used to transfer the pitch of the songs to the original B, and therefore it is not used to make the playing any easier. The 6-th song is YCAGWYW is played in the key of C, just like the original record. Also, here the capo is used on an open G tuned guitar only to raise the pitch to C. The 7-th capoed song is Midnight Rambler, and here also the capo is used just to raise the pitch to Jagger�s vocal pitch, namely B.

1. Brown sugar: no capo
2. Gimme shelter: no capo
3. Happy: capo to raise pitch to original B
4. Tumbling dice: capo to raise pitch to original B
5. Star star: no capo
6. Dancing with mr. D.: no capo
7. Heartbreaker: no capo
8. Angie: no capo
9. You can't always get what you want: capo to raise the pitch to original C
10. Midnight rambler: capo to raise pitch to original B
11. Honky tonk women: no capo
12. All down the line: no capo
13. Rip this joint: capo to raise pitch to original B
14. Jumpin' jack flash: capo to raise pitch to original B
15. Street fighting man: capo to raise pitch to original B

One of the forces of the Stones is just a lucky coincident: Jagger�s vocal pitch is between A and B, and an open G tuned guitar sounds best when capoed at A to C. If you are a guitar player yourself, you might notice that when you tune your guitar to open G, you quite automatically reach for the capo, as most licks just ring out better and nicer when shifted to B or C. With open D or E this is not true: most licks sound better an nicer without the capo, if you transfer an open E tuned guitar to B or C things start to get soupy and too bassy.

Further, if it�s true that Keith would use a capo to make the playing easier, then just listen to his rhythm playing on Tumbling Dice from Brussels, October 17, first show. If you call that �simple�, then your definition of simple is different then mine.

I think this story is just one of the many untrue myths of the Rolling Stones�Keith changed his blood in Switzerland, Keith injected himself on stage, Jagger is a devil worshipper, Keith doesn�t know the names of the chords he plays, blah blah blah,,,,,

Mathijs

10-22-02 03:35 PM
steel driving hammer Hey no_cole_porter,

Would you recommend .11 gauge strings?

Like Brian did, I always seem to want to go a bit higher....

10-22-02 06:37 PM
no_cole_porter Steel,
This is one of the best conversations I've ever had...LOL

Well personally I started using Ernie Ball Super Slinky's which are 09 gauge. Then my fingers got a bit better so I switched up to 10's because they didn't break as easily and I liked a bit more meat on my strings.

I've never used 11's. I don't know if my fingers and hands could take the abuse...LOL

As for the top strings being larger, that's the way that it is meant to be. The low E string is the thickest, and the high E string is the thinnest. So it's just a matter of A,D,G, and B getting thinner till it's the E string.
10-23-02 09:21 AM
steel driving hammer Thanks, I've learned alot from you and Beer.

If I ever get rich and famous, I'll remember you.

Maybe I'll let you be my guitar tech. LOL!

Keep on Rolling.

Gonna start w/ the 10 gauge.

I'd give my left pinky toe for Keith.
10-23-02 11:28 AM
FTELE52 For open G I've found that 10's work best for me. I play this setup on a beat to shit '96 Tele relic that I routed the neck on and put a Duncan Antiquity humbucker in there. That neck pickup along with the open G tuning is killer especially for Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Honky Tonk.

I also play open G leaving all 6 strings on (even though low D is not the root note) as when I'm gigging I could always tune back up to standard if I break a string on my other guitar which is tuned to standard.

Mathijs is dead on...anyone who plays guitar knows that you use a capo to change the key of a song or to play open chord forms in a different key not because you're too fucked up to play barre chords.
10-23-02 05:55 PM
Cracker2550 First of all this is my first message to this board, I just wanted to say hey. Second of all, I love playing guitar. Especially my telecaster in g. I only use five strings GDGBD. I use a capo like yall have said on the fourth for JJF, Happy, Tumbling Dice, and Street Fighting Man. I use one on the fifth for LARS and YCAGWYW. I don't use one at all for HTW, Before They Make Me Run, Start Me Up, You Got Me Rocking, Brown Sugar, Wanna Hold You, LSTNT, Don't Stop, Wild Horses, and CYHMK. Maybe some more but I can't think of them now. Also, how do you play Midnight Rambler?
10-23-02 08:12 PM
no_cole_porter Well you can play Rambler in Open G. Just slap the Capo on 4th Fret. But, If you're in standard you'll have to put it onto 7th fret.

A second thought on something as well. What is your favorite Keith Guitar/Moment. Keith's got a lot of old beauties, So which one do you love seeing Keith with?

I've got two that stick out in my mind. I love the Carol scene in Hail Hail Rock And Roll, That is a beautiful Mary Kaye Strat he's got on, Plus the bends he does during I'm Through With Love.

My second is Keith's tele in Love Is Strong. I remember seeing that video and just being transfixed on his Tele. I am guessing that might be Micawber. But I'm not sure.

My last question is this. For the Steel Wheels tour, Keith used a Butterscotch Blonde Telecaster during Brown Sugar, And in the Rolling Stones Live At The Max film, It's got a Open Coil Humbucker. Does anyone know any more info on this guitar?
[Edited by no_cole_porter]
10-23-02 08:40 PM
Cracker2550 First of all, could you tell me a little more about MR? Second, I will never forget how freakin cool it was watching Keith come out with the coat, glasses, and telecaster playing Satisfaction on the B2B tour. I've got a tele just like it on the way and can't wait to get my hands on it. About the telecaster, I think he only used that open coil telecaster like that for BS during that tour. If I am not mistaken (which more than likely I am LOL) I think the telecaster he uses on LARS has an open coil pickup in it. Keith dosent really use too many pickups like that though.
10-23-02 09:42 PM
no_cole_porter You are absolutely correct sir. Keith's 3 Tone Sunburst Telecaster has a Open Coil Black Humbucker in it, Which he uses for You Can't Always Get What You Want, Like A Rolling Stone And Tumbling Dice.
10-23-02 10:22 PM
Cracker2550 Cool. Also, I figured MR out. One of the greatest things about the tele is the ease at which you can put a different pickup in the neck.
10-24-02 09:47 AM
steel driving hammer Hey Cracker2550....

GET IT ON RIDER!!!
10-24-02 10:04 AM
no_cole_porter I was watching a few videos this morning, When I saw Keith using that open coil humbucker was featured in the Wicked As It Seems video. Lovely cinematography in that thing.
10-24-02 10:35 AM
Mathijs Keith's four main Tele's are:

1. Micawber -this is the Tele he purchased in 1971, and can be seen at most pictures from Nellcote 1971. This guitar was his only open G-tuned Tele for the 72, 73 and 75 tour, and starting from 1976 he started using various Tele's, but Micawber remains his No. 1. It�s a blond 1953 model (now turned completely yellow), and until 1977 completely stock. Keith replaced the neck pick-up in 1972 for a humbucker, and in 1977 he had the tuners replaced for Grovers, and the three-saddle bridge was replaced for a Schecter brass unit. Micawber can be recognised quite easily, as it has a 1/4� spot, mark or scratch on the upper bout (bass side) of the guitar. Judging on the pics of the new tour I have seen, and the fact that Keith uses the guitar for just 1 or 2 songs lately, this guitar is quite at the end of its life. The body is starting to crack, and the fret board is scalloping (the wood between the frets is disappearing).

Malcolm is his second Tele, and this is the butterscotch 1956 Tele with the see through grain. According to Keith this one is lighter and therefore louder than Micawber. The tuning pegs are changed to Klusons and the bridge has been replaced by a nickel-plated Schaller unit.

The third one is the sunburst Tele used for Honky Tonk Women, Tumbling Dice and YCAGWYW. This is a maple-capped-maple-neck (thus the neck is made of two parts, with a glued-on finger board, instead of the one-piece neck of the pre-�66 Tele�s) from 1967. First seen on a picture in 1979, this guitar started to be his main open G Tele on the 81 tour, and is used extensively ever since. The sound is warmer and fuller than of the 50�s Tele�s, as the body isn�t ash like the 50�s models, but basswood.

The fourth Tele is a completely stock (except for the bridge) 1959 rosewood board Tele, which made its first appearance in 1985 at the Dirty Work sessions. Keith started to use this Tele on the B2B tour in 1997, and always uses it in standard tuning, not open G.

Mathijs

10-24-02 11:00 AM
no_cole_porter Wow.