ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Gracias Jordi !
© Jordi Vidal - ¡Gracias!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RS Books! Return to archive
October 20th, 2005 01:59 PM
Madafaka I have bought this book but didn't arrived yet.
What do you think? Is a good book or so?

"Images of the World Tour 1989 / 1990"
David Fricke and Robert Sandall
Magna Books, 175 pages, 140 color photos, edited in 1990 out of print.

And another question. What do you think about "Rolling with the Stones"? I'm thinking buy it or not.
TIA!
October 20th, 2005 02:06 PM
egon nice book, but like it says on the cover;
it's mainly images.

and the images are also the highlights in rolling with the stones. can't even remeber if i ever really read it.
October 20th, 2005 05:28 PM
The Porkchop Express get Stone Alone by Bill Wyman

it's great to get a different take, rather than the same old revisionist history
October 20th, 2005 05:36 PM
glencar I am in the middle of "A Journey Through America With The Rolling Stones" by Robert Greenfield & it's fascinating.
October 20th, 2005 06:19 PM
Saint Sway Madafaka

that book is a nice souvenier of the Wheels tour. But IMO it was filled with too many forced shots of Mick & Keef "chumming it up" for the cameras.

also, looking back on it now.... some dreadful 80s outfits.

recently I've been updating my Stones books with the new audio/narrated versions
October 20th, 2005 07:45 PM
Riffhard I've said it before,but I'll say it again. The best book ever written about the Stones is Stanley Booth's "The True Advetures of the Rolling Stones".

See here----->www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

As for Bill's book. I thought is was one of the most boring books that I have ever read. He was a hell of a bass player,but his writing skills leave much to be desired. It was all I could do to get through the damn thing. Not to mention the way he continualy has to remind the reader that he got laid alot.

Get the above book and thank me later. A great read!

Riffy
October 20th, 2005 08:25 PM
Madafaka Thank you all, mates!
October 20th, 2005 08:27 PM
texile
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I've said it before,but I'll say it again. The best book ever written about the Stones is Stanley Booth's "The True Advetures of the Rolling Stones".

See here----->www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

As for Bill's book. I thought is was one of the most boring books that I have ever read. He was a hell of a bass player,but his writing skills leave much to be desired. It was all I could do to get through the damn thing. Not to mention the way he continualy has to remind the reader that he got laid alot.

Get the above book and thank me later. A great read!

Riffy

that's a good one riff - but the greenfield book is a great one...
booth was a little too enthralled by his heroes....
October 20th, 2005 09:06 PM
Riffhard I like the Greenfield book as well. It's a very good and informative read,but Stanley lived with Keith for a couple of years and he was a close friend with the entire band during the historic '69 tour. That alone makes his book a must read for a real insider's perspective on Altamont,Brian's death,Nellcott,and the entire period that encompassed the "big four" years. He sticks mostly to the 1969 tour and it's horrible consquences on that December night in 1969,but he really gives the reader a feel for the seamy underside of the the whole sorrid affair.

He is not afraid to point out the darker undertones of the tour and the within the band itself. His take on the 1966 Blackpool show is funny as hell. He paints the picture of Keith getting fed up by a bunch of drunken Scotts spitting on him until he finally kicks one of them right in the gob with his "Beatle" boots! Then all hell breaks loose. Funny shit to be sure!

I read this book 15 years ago and I can still recite passages from it.

So I agree with you,textile,that the Greenfield book is on the short list of "must reads" as far as Stones' books are concerned,but I like Booth's writing style more. I really like the way he makes you feel that you(the reader) was actully there with him behind Keith's amp at Altamont,and onstage in Blackpool,etc.

Riffy
October 21st, 2005 12:17 AM
The Porkchop Express
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

well most of that is true, I wouldn't say it's boring....Bill gives Brian the credit he deserves and that's part of the reason why I respect him
October 21st, 2005 12:33 AM
Madafaka A good friend of mine, told me that this ones are the best:

Any comments about that books?
October 21st, 2005 08:17 AM
Scratched Back Growing up, I just couldnt get enough of Tony Sanchez' Up and Down With the Rolling Stones. Loved every bit of it! Think I'll read it again some day...
October 21st, 2005 09:52 AM
GhostofBrianJones I have all those books except for the Love You Live book. They are
good books if you like photos which is what I am always looking
for during the period 1963-1969 with BJ. Have about 25 books,
articles, magazine, etc. for that period. Need to check out the
others mentioned. Thanks.
October 21st, 2005 10:31 AM
exile
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Not to mention the way he continualy has to remind the reader that he got laid alot.

Thats true and Bill likes you to know also how BILL had much more sex than
a) Mick Jagger
b) Keith Richards
c) Brian Jones
d) Ronnie Wood
e) Everyone on planet Earth.
f) Charlie was faithful (not sure if I believe that one)

Bill book sucks
Stanley Booths was better
October 22nd, 2005 01:09 AM
texile true riff - i was miserable in high school when the booth book came out and i swear - it got me through some shit....
i would carry it with me to school just to escape for a few minutes during the day....
i read it and reread it throughout that bleak winter - and it was like a time machine to another world....
but the 72 tour is my personal favorite - so the book had a more historical vibe to it - because greenfield was a old-school journalist...and the cast of characters OUTSIDE the stones were just as mush a part og the story as the stones themselves - i think greenfield kept his distance more and that's good journalism...
but i won't disagree about booth's book -
id say these two books are the most significant and valueable stones documents ever written.

then again - nothing can beat buying up and down...when you're 13 years old and reading it in one night.....
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)