ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Gracias Jordi !
© Jordi Vidal - ¡Gracias!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Delusions of Grandeur Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 19th, 2005 11:49 AM
exile besides an unfortunate title "Butt Town" is a pretty good song.

Which is more than you can say for anything Alice did post 1980.

I'm not comparing anybody to Alice.

I'm just saying Alice is not remembered as fondly or as the seed of a popular movement in music as all the others I mentioned Alice he does come off as cheesy and he is probably pissed off about it.

Also I saw Alice live in 1997 and it was a yawnfest...truly
October 19th, 2005 01:05 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
exile wrote:
besides an unfortunate title "Butt Town" is a pretty good song.

Which is more than you can say for anything Alice did post 1980.

Three words: Clones (We're All)

October 20th, 2005 02:11 AM
Egbert
quote:
exile wrote:
Yes true...Im not that familiar with the whole Iggy leaving the stogges story. Was that before of after Iggy apparently went into a mental institution? Well before the Iggy Bowie collaboration in Berlin anyway. I should read up on it would be a good read.

It’s good to see The Stooges playing back together. I heard somewhere they are recording a new album.

Are there many alternate and live versions around of their stuff?

Have you read "Please Kill Me" by Legs McNeil? GREAT book - lots of Stooges lore covered and also Velvet Underground, MC5, NY Dolls, Television, Richard Hell/Heartbreakers, Dead Boys, Ramones, etc. If you have a juvenile sense of humor (kind of a given for us Stooges fans) you'll find it to be funny as hell.

Not much live stuff available from '68-'74 other than Metallic K.O. - that and the few others are horrid sonically.

As for the studio stuff Bomp has put out a lot of Stooges material - my favorites are "Year Of The Iguana" and the "I'm Sick Of You" EP. Pilot put out "Studio Sessions" a few years back and that's good too but may be out of print now. Also there's a 2 CD collection "Head On" that covers most of this stuff as well. All of these CDs are comprised of demos, outtakes, and rehearsal tracks from the '72-'74 Raw Power lineup and the sound quality is varied.

Also worth checking out is "Kill City" from Bomp which was recorded by Iggy and James Williamson in '74 around the time of Iggy's stay at UCLA hospital's mental health facility. Kill City sounds very Stonesy and Iggy even wrote a song supposedly about Mick & Keith called "Lucky Monkeys".

Not too much available from the original lineup other than what's on the bonus CDs of the Stooges and Funhouse remasters PDog mentioned earlier.
October 20th, 2005 03:00 AM
beer
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
The problem with punk is that it sucked, not that all punk bands sucked, but punk as a genre has no staying power. Just like rap, punk has no staying power. Punk is just a bunch of wanna be rock n rollers who could never learn to rock.

ten thousand, your a good guy, but this is the stupidest thing you've ever posted. Rap and punk had no staying power?

-
October 20th, 2005 03:28 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
beer wrote:
, but this is the stupidest thing you've ever posted.

Not quite.

(actually this has turned into quite a good thread.)
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
October 20th, 2005 03:37 AM
beer
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Not quite.

(actually this has turned into quite a good thread.)
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

Well, it is interesting!

-
October 20th, 2005 08:47 AM
exile
quote:
Egbert wrote:
Have you read "Please Kill Me" by Legs McNeil?

No I havent but after my current Pharmacy exams Ill be looking for a good book thanks

quote:
Egbert wrote:
If you have a juvenile sense of humor (kind of a given for us Stooges fans) you'll find it to be funny as hell.

Indeed I do

quote:
Egbert wrote:
As for the studio stuff Bomp has put out a lot of Stooges material - my favorites are "Year Of The Iguana" and the "I'm Sick Of You" EP. ....Also worth checking out is "Kill City" from Bomp which was recorded by Iggy and James Williamson in '74 around the time of Iggy's stay at UCLA hospital's mental health facility. Kill City sounds very Stonesy and Iggy even wrote a song supposedly about Mick & Keith called "Lucky Monkeys".

Wow I would like to hear "Lucky Monkeys" sounds interesting...sorry to show my own ignorance but what is bomp? I would like to get a hold of all of this stuff. Is Bomp the record label? is there a website?

I have actually in the last few days read a few Iggy bios on the net. Pretty interesting stuff especially about his stay in the UCLA hospital mental health facility circa 1974. LOL!!! what a maniac.

sounds to me like Bowie was a good friend to Iggy. helped him out a lot. and used his for his own experiemnts in european electronica. definitely interesting stuff.

-------------------------------------- UPDATE----------
forget that I found Bomp records on the net will check it out thanks for the tip
[Edited by exile]
October 21st, 2005 09:09 AM
Egbert A caveat regarding Lucky Monkeys - the recording quality on that particular tune is poor and the lyrics are a blur. Kill City is still worth a listen if you're a Stooges and Stones fan - mellower than Raw Power with prominent slide guitar and sax, much of it sounds like '70s era Stones. My favorites from it are Kill City, Sell Your Love, I Got Nothing, Johanna.
October 21st, 2005 09:15 AM
DAVINO I don't quite agree with his self-apointed title, but Big Apple Dreaming was a great tune!

Big Apple Dreamin' (Hippo)

We're so young and pretty
We're so young and clean
So many things
That we have never seen
...from Ohio
Sell this damn old store
Big Apple dreamin
On a wooden floor

Skyscrapers
And subways and stations
Starin' up
At the United Nations

New York is waiting
For you and me, baby
Waiting to swallow us down
New York, we're coming
To see what you're made of
Are you as great as you sound

Heard about them massages
And all those dirty shows
Well, I read somewhere
Some places never close
While we waste time on yokels
Comin' through the door
Big Apple dreamin'
On a wooden floor

(* **)

New York is waiting
For you and me, baby
Waiting to swallow us down
New York, we're coming
Are you as tough as you sound

(***)

Yeah, New York is waitin', baby
Waitin' to swallow us down
New York, we're coming
Can't be as tough as you sound

(**)

Oh, New York
Oh New York, we're comin'
Oh we're comin'
Oh can't be as good as you sound
Me and my baby, we're comin'
Oh we're comin'
They're waitin' for you and me, baby...

I was thinking of the tune where it says "ask me why the singers name is Alice... Great tune.
October 21st, 2005 10:19 AM
exile
quote:
Egbert wrote:
A caveat regarding Lucky Monkeys - the recording quality on that particular tune is poor and the lyrics are a blur. Kill City is still worth a listen if you're a Stooges and Stones fan - mellower than Raw Power with prominent slide guitar and sax, much of it sounds like '70s era Stones. My favorites from it are Kill City, Sell Your Love, I Got Nothing, Johanna.

Thanks Egbert, appreciate the advice.
Im familiar with albums "The Stooges" and "Raw Power" and all of "Iggy solo" stuff. Thanks for the lowdown on Kill City and others from Bomp. Its my next purchase believe me.
By the way I have tickets to see Iggy and The Stooges on Jan 26 at the Big Day Out in Sydney. so Im totally excited and in a bit of a Iggy mood.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)