ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Angel Stadium of Anaheim - Anaheim, CA - 4th November 2005
© and thanks Fernando Aceves (premier today)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Never A Dull Moment.... Return to archive
18th October 2007 12:17 PM
Nellcote So, after a bit of work overload, I needed a pick-me-up today. Several threads about one Ronald Wood, made me seek out this Rod Stewart/Faces incarnation, as I'd not spun this simply magical wonder in a fortnight. What a overlooked fantastic gem of a lp from the great 70's!
Just look at the songs Stewart covers here:

Angel-Hendrix
Mama, You've Been On My Mind-Dylan
Twistin-Sam Cooke
I'd Rather Go Blind-Foster/Jordon

All sterling musicianship from the day....
In most cases, my fav over Every Picture...

Here's the AMG review, while a bit touchy, recognizes this as it is.....

Essentially a harder-rocking reprise of Every Picture Tells a Story, Never a Dull Moment never quite reaches the heights of its predecessor, but it's a wonderful, multi-faceted record in its own right. Opening with the touching, autobiographical rocker "True Blue," which finds Rod Stewart trying to come to grips with his newfound stardom but concluding that he'd "rather be back home," the record is the last of Stewart's series of epic fusions of hard rock and folk. It's possible to hear Stewart go for superstardom with the hard-rocking kick and fat electric guitars of the album, but the songs still cut to the core. "You Wear It Well" is a "Maggie May" rewrite on the surface, but it develops into a touching song about being emotionally inarticulate. Similarly, "Lost Paraguayos" is funny, driving folk-rock, and it's hard not to be swept away when the Stonesy hard rocker "Italian Girls" soars into a mandolin-driven coda. The covers — whether a soulful reading of Jimi Hendrix's "Angel," an empathetic version of Dylan's "Mama, You Been on My Mind," or a stunning interpretation of Etta James' "I'd Rather Go Blind" — are equally effective, making Never a Dull Moment a masterful record. He never got quite this good ever again.

So, thank you for allowing me to expound upon one of the truly great lp's of the 70's.
Place this on rotation today, let the rip of Woody's gitar on Italian Girls take you away......
Enjoy!
18th October 2007 12:24 PM
sirmoonie Great album Nellmon, I play it relatively often, along with Stewart's other 70s greats. Wear it Well is Rod at his best.
18th October 2007 12:43 PM
Mel Belli Maybe even better than "Every Picture" and "Gasoline Alley" ... Love it.
18th October 2007 01:14 PM
LoveinVainRonnie Great album. My favorite song on the record would have to be Lost Paraguayos. Hard rock and Folk what a fusion.

I bought the "Rod Stewart : In Performance" dvd. It wasn't really worth 30 bucks, for most of the stuff the journalist and Rod biography writers said has long been discussed. There were a few insightful moments. They focused on the 1977 Melbourne concert, and nothing else. "Atlantic crossing" and his campy stages were their biggest focus. It was disappointing that it wasn't more comprehensive, and touched a bit more on the things he actually contributed. However it was still interesting.

Below are two clips...One a series of clips of the better moments from the dvd...At one point the writer makes a comparison to the singability of Maggie and Stay with me, to Mick Jaggers dancing...One of them talks about how the people that find "The Faces" to be greater than "The Stones" they usually bring out "Stay with me" to prove their point. At one point (not in the clips) the journalist says something about Keith Richards selling his soul, but when Rod does it, it isn't right because he sells it to hollywood...

Also there is a clip about their look at "The Killing of Georgie" which I found interesting.

Clips from In Performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XedFsIXt7eg

Look at "The Killing of Georgie"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TsI0-yyagw
18th October 2007 01:49 PM
Saint Sway Great record. Lost Paraguayos is one of my favorites all-time tunes

I always think of those 1st 4 Stewart albums as essentially Faces records because it seemed like he had all the boys playing on them. The musicianship on those records is even better than on the Faces stuff.
18th October 2007 02:16 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I always think of those 1st 4 Stewart albums as essentially Faces records because it seemed like he had all the boys playing on them. The musicianship on those records is even better than on the Faces stuff.

I agree. They were the Faces, only seemingly more sober!
18th October 2007 02:18 PM
LoveinVainRonnie
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Great record. Lost Paraguayos is one of my favorites all-time tunes

Yeah, I remember hearing that the band was getting mad at Rod and Ron, because it seemed they were saving or writing the best songs for Rod's solo stuff, rather than for Faces stuff.
18th October 2007 02:24 PM
glencar I shall look into this...
18th October 2007 03:26 PM
LoveinVainRonnie Faces to reform?

According to reports originating in America, the Faces will be playing live shows in the US and the UK next year...

posted by John Gray

According to reports originating in America, the Faces will be playing live shows in the US and the UK next year, more than three decades since they parted company!

Rod together with Ronnie Wood, Ian McLagan and Kenney Jones, plus a yet to be named bass player, are said to be putting together an itinerary, with an official announcement due in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, release of the group’s four studio albums (First Step, Long Player, A Nod Is As Good As A Wink… To A Blind Horse, and Ooh La La) featuring previously unheard bonus tracks, has been delayed to next year - maybe a sign that they are being held back to coincide with some live shows.
18th October 2007 03:27 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
I shall look into this...

do it!

and while you're at it throw out ABB and your Mick solo collections
18th October 2007 07:43 PM
Saint Sway been listening lately to The White Stripes Icky Thump record... and that "Effect and Cause" really reminds me of one of those great hoot and strut acoustic stomps that Rod and Ronnie would do
18th October 2007 07:44 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
been listening lately to The White Stripes Icky Thump record... and that "Effect and Cause" really reminds me of one of those great hoot and strut acoustic stomps that Rod and Ronnie would do

Or Ronnie and Ronnie.
18th October 2007 08:04 PM
duck 1970-1975 lots of great music by the faces family tree.
1970 The Rod Stewart Album
Faces-First Step
Gasoline Alley
1971 Faces-Long Player
Every Picture Tells A Story
Faces-A nod is as good as a wink
1972 Never a Dull Moment
1973 Faces-ooh la la
1974 Ron Wood-Got my own album to do
Smiler
Mahoneys last Stand
1975 Ron Wood-Now Look
19th October 2007 07:15 AM
corgi37 1977 Melbourne show, eh? My sister went to that. It was quite a big deal as i recall. Ian "Molly" Meldrum, Australia's "rock guru" was very good friends with Rod & Elton in the 70's.

I might add, he was very, very friendly with Elton!

Meldrum is still going. He is famous for:

Being kicked out of the Beatles concert in Melbourne for screaming too much.
Fainting when his football team (which is also mine) one its one and only Grand Final in 1966.
Being the 1st person John Lennon told that the Beatles were breaking up.
Being locked out of the studio in 1969 while producing smash Oz classic 'THE REAL THING" because he spent too much money and time on it. He had to steal the master tape to finish it.
Wears a cowboy hat and has done for about 30 years. Elton gave him his 1st hat.
His Sunday tv show "Countdown" was a institution for all teen kids in the 70's-80's. He helped break local acts like Skyhooks, Sherbet, Ac/Dc, Rose Tattoo, Little River Band, The Church, Cold Chisel, Inxs, Men at work and many, many more.
Telling Prince Charles on Countdown: "I saw your Mum the other day", to which Charles replied "Oh, you mean Her Majesty the Queen". Meldrum nearly passed out with stress.
Having a shirtless and drugged Iggy Pop say "Hello, Dogface" to him live on Oz t.v. while climbing over the furniture.
He broke Abba in Australia - the 1st country in the world apart from Sweden to do so.
Broke Blondie in Australia.
Ditto Madonna.
Countdown was the only show in this country Bill Wyman perfomed "Je Suis en Rock Star" (well, he mimed it) live in the studio.
Came out and admitted he was gay a few years ago.

One of the greatest sports in Aussie clubs and discos is to try to take his hat off his head. He is bald apart from the sides and back and dies his hair worse than Keith.

That is all. Carry on.
19th October 2007 01:15 PM
gustavobala
quote:
LoveinVainRonnie wrote:
Faces to reform?

According to reports originating in America, the Faces will be playing live shows in the US and the UK next year...

posted by John Gray

According to reports originating in America, the Faces will be playing live shows in the US and the UK next year, more than three decades since they parted company!

Rod together with Ronnie Wood, Ian McLagan and Kenney Jones, plus a yet to be named bass player, are said to be putting together an itinerary, with an official announcement due in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, release of the group’s four studio albums (First Step, Long Player, A Nod Is As Good As A Wink… To A Blind Horse, and Ooh La La) featuring previously unheard bonus tracks, has been delayed to next year - maybe a sign that they are being held back to coincide with some live shows.

hello, rod and ronnie: TETSU STILL LIVE!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)