ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Angel Stadium of Anaheim - Anaheim, CA - 4th November 2005
© and thanks Fernando Aceves (premier today)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Wyman/Watts rhythm section Return to archive Page: 1 2
10th October 2007 09:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels These guys could cook, if given the space.
Thoughts? Stray Cat Blues?

10th October 2007 09:36 AM
Jumacfly What can I say?? Watts n Wyman are may be the best rythm section of RNR history!!
Let me go from 81' tour is also a great example of their work...jumping bass folowing Charlie's train...Love it.

Bill is seriously missed by many fans like me
10th October 2007 09:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
What can I say?? Watts n Wyman are may be the best rythm section of RNR history!!

My best guess is that is indeed the case. But then what the fuck do I know?

10th October 2007 09:44 AM
Joey
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
What can I say?? Watts n Wyman are may be the best rythm section of RNR history!!
Let me go from 81' tour is also a great example of their work...jumping bass folowing Charlie's train...Love it.

I fell ya Baby Juma ........

Whenever I hear ANYTHING from the 1981 tour I get that " The Party Has Just Started Feeling " .

Indeed , When I play " Hampton ' 81 " I hear barkers and see colored balloons falling down all around me .....

.....and you's ?!

" What We Drinking Tonight Ronnie ?! "

Baby Joe .... Wolcott ! ™
10th October 2007 10:00 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Being a bass player yourself, how would you rate the Clifford/Cook rhythm section? 1-10. Sure, the vocalists, guitar players, pianists, lyricists, etc present the final plate to the public but in rock n roll the rhythm section does the cooking.
10th October 2007 10:50 AM
CraigP The biggest blow to the Stones in 'recent' history was when Wyman left.

At least Keith has a good drummer and lead singer who of which he dosn't have to 'carry'.

When Ronnie started to suck, it was one thing, then Bill left. Damn.
10th October 2007 11:10 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Being a bass player yourself, how would you rate the Clifford/Cook rhythm section? 1-10.

7/10 for me.
they play rawer than the rythm section of the Stones,got a more rock n roll sound which sounds really direct.
Stones rythm section got more virtuosity for me.
Both are working for me
May be a question of education as we know that Charlie is from the jazz old school.
With Bill, they got something different than the other rock bands,more technicity and less brutality...they left that for Keef

Since Darryl plays with the band, as good player as he is, we don't hear bass at all and that sucks
10th October 2007 11:19 AM
Ten Thousand Motels >Since Darryl plays with the band, as good player as he is, we don't hear bass at all and that sucks <

My bitch with ABB, the Potential with no Punch.
10th October 2007 11:38 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
>Since Darryl plays with the band, as good player as he is, we don't hear bass at all and that sucks <

My bitch with ABB, the Potential with no Punch.

Exactly...Bass on ABB is a disaster, it's sloppy and uninspired.
10th October 2007 12:31 PM
doo doo doo Dude Wyman/Watts is untouchable

10th October 2007 03:40 PM
guitarman53 Wyman & Watts were fantastic, but another rhythm section was Keith Moon & John Entwistle.
10th October 2007 06:13 PM
Child of the Moon Ahh, The Drive... Richards + Wyman x Watts = The Drive. There really is nothing better.

As far as Moon and Entwistle go, I'd go as far as saying that they weren't much of a "rhythm section" at all. No, those two were more lead players than anything else. The Who was full of lead players (one of the hardest things about mixing their stuff - who do you turn up? All of 'em, I guess...).
10th October 2007 11:29 PM
guitarman53 Best Bass & Drummer from 2 sites.
http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_bassguitar.html
100 Greatest Rock Bass Guitarists
http://ilikedrums.tribe.net/thread/0fa6252f-0937-4bb7-97d6-079be6626030

[Edited by guitarman53]
10th October 2007 11:38 PM
Lethargy The only thing Watts ever screwed up was a reggae beat. Other than that, he (along with Bill) are untouchable.
11th October 2007 08:39 AM
Zack
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Wyman/Watts is untouchable

As a bassist, AND a dresser. Leg warmers just out of shot.
11th October 2007 08:49 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I uploaded this video of Bill and Charlie with Alexis Korner... not as a rhythm section but as a touching backing...

11th October 2007 05:42 PM
Joey
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Ahh, The Drive... Richards + Wyman x Watts = The Drive. There really is nothing better.

As far as Moon and Entwistle go, I'd go as far as saying that they weren't much of a "rhythm section" at all. No, those two were more lead players than anything else. The Who was full of lead players (one of the hardest things about mixing their stuff - who do you turn up? All of 'em, I guess...).

Child of the Moon ......................

That is some of the FINEST posting I have ever , EVER had the distinct pleasure of reading .

The Drive... Richards + Wyman x Watts = The Drive.

...and you are right , Moonie made the drums a lead instrument .

JACKY ! ™
11th October 2007 05:52 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Exactly...Bass on ABB is a disaster, it's sloppy and uninspired.

So are the guitars, though. All of the solos are boring and too short and you can even hear mistakes on them. ABB is a good record, but I truly believe it had the potential to be great. It just needed an extra kick.

Who played bass on ABB? It wasn't Jones if my memory serves me correctly. Keith and Mick?
11th October 2007 06:08 PM
Joey " .... All of the solos are boring and too short and you can even hear mistakes on them. "

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11th October 2007 06:29 PM
mrhipfl but it's true.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11th October 2007 08:43 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
These guys could cook, if given the space.
Thoughts? Stray Cat Blues?

Tell me something that doesn't already rule please...
12th October 2007 11:03 AM
glencar
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

Tell me something that doesn't already rule please...

This is just another thread it started. Why? Eh...
12th October 2007 11:11 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

Who played bass on ABB? It wasn't Jones if my memory serves me correctly. Keith and Mick?

Mostly Mick...this explains a lot!

12th October 2007 11:17 AM
speedfreakjive wyman and Watts- good but too understated IMHO
12th October 2007 11:47 AM
yellerstang I can't wait for "oldkr" to come soil this thread with how "boring" they were.

Check out Watts/Wyman here.....No other Stones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poDnXzWukq4
17th October 2007 11:17 PM
Kilroy I wonder if there is a chance The great bass drums combo that made the Stones Great would ever be able to back up the Stones again on a record. Would'nt it be great IF Wyman was allow to do the Bass parts for the records but not have to tour. It could happen, could'nt it, what's stopping it from being that way. Jagger, Richards or both.
18th October 2007 03:34 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Kilroy wrote:
I wonder if there is a chance The great bass drums combo that made the Stones Great would ever be able to back up the Stones again on a record. Would'nt it be great IF Wyman was allow to do the Bass parts for the records but not have to tour. It could happen, could'nt it, what's stopping it from being that way. Jagger, Richards or both.

Richards was really pissed of when Wyman left the band, & those 2 never really hit it off (in Bill's book, Stone Alone, he mentions Keith never really liked him) so it would be Richards who wouldn't just have him for recording.
18th October 2007 06:01 PM
Saint Sway witness them make this lil diddy swing with the ease of a trapeze artist

18th October 2007 06:12 PM
Throwaway
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
witness them make this lil diddy swing with the ease of a trapeze artist

I love this fucking boot..though I think Bill and Charlie sound best on "Just My Imagination" from this tour. Look at you and look at me!!
[Edited by Throwaway]
18th October 2007 06:20 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Throwaway wrote:

I love this fucking boot..though I think Bill and Charlie sound best on "Just My Imagination" from this tour. Look at you and look at me!!

agreed.

its dope how they can flawlessly drop those bad ass tempo shifts on Imagination

Watts and Wyman were just unconscious on tour. They telecommuted some kind of mystic Asian twin shit between each other.

bear witness to them on Rambler. Stone cold dope. I'm tellin ya - unconscious!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)