ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy 70th Bill!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Life with the Stones - Ian McLagan Return to archive
20th October 2006 07:10 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Life with the Stones
Austinite Ian McLagan opened for the Stones back in the '60s and can still remember most of it
By Lynne Margolis
Austin360.com

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Ian McLagan is certainly no stranger to the upper echelons of rock stardom. He was, after all, a member of that storied British semi-supergroup the Faces. But, despite his hit-making history and his sideman stints for artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Bonnie Raitt, Buddy Guy and Bob Dylan, the Austin-based keyboardist still finds himself answering questions about that other band of wild and crazy Londoners he's hung with in the past: the Rolling Stones.

Fortunately, McLagan is cheerfully game for such quizzes, even if he must speak from a cell phone in a van full of Bump Band mates en route from Toledo, Ohio, to Chicago, keeping himself busy after the tragic death of his beloved wife Kim in August. Needless to say, when he accompanied the Stones on their "Some Girls" and "Tattoo You" tours, the traveling arrangements were somewhat more elegant.

"They rented a plane. We don't do that much in this band. But I just got a new van; it's very luxurious," he cackles, his post-show hoarseness drying his laugh as his bandmates — guitarist "Scrappy" Jud Newcomb, drummer Don Harvey and bassist Mark Andes — burst out giggling in the background.

Asked if life with the Stones was as decadent as rumored, he responds, "No, it never is. And also, 'cause it's the eye of the storm, there's nothing much going on. The excitement's all around them."

In their book, "The Rolling Stones: A Life on the Road," Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, ex-Faces guitarist Ron Wood and their support staff discuss how that excitement built, and how it altered their lives as they evolved from station wagons to Learjets, and fixing sandwiches in hotel kitchens to toting their own catering crews. Though McLagan has known the Stones since the early London days, when he'd catch one or two of their gigs a week (he rang Wood directly to inquire about the opening slot for Sunday's show), by the time he toured with them in '78 and '81, the traveling circus was well-established. McLagan says it didn't change him, however.

"I was used to the high life, you know, in the Faces and the Small Faces. When I was with the Rolling Stones, I knew it wouldn't last." But while he was with them, it was a great ride. "I had the best fun. They treated me great — I mean, they treat you like you're one of the band. It's a nice feeling."

When he talks about the high life, McLagan isn't exactly speaking metaphorically. The Faces, he points out, were a much wilder band — known for bringing the bar along wherever they went, including onstage. (He elaborates cleverly about their history in the fabulous, aptly titled box set, "Five Guys Walk into a Bar. . .".)

"It's relatively peaceful with the Stones," McLagan says. "But there was a lot of silliness with the Faces. Accidents would happen . . . we were very naughty boys." (Said with a nod and a wink, no doubt.)

Still, there's the matter of Richards' fabled party habits. Outside the Waldorf-Astoria ballroom at a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction a few years ago, he was overheard saying he couldn't attend the after-party because he had to drive his kid to school the next day. Is this the Keith whom McLagan stayed up with while recording Ron Wood's solo discs or those Stones tunes, including the now classic "Miss You?"

He laughs and says, "Yeah, he's a family man.

"I don't know that he's changed that much," he adds. "Maybe there's less intake. But he's always been the same character. He's a very funny bloke."

As for Wood, who's still doing roundtrips to rehab resorts, McLagan says, "He's been told he mustn't drink, but he's a natural drinker. He likes to drink. . . . If he'd dislike it more, it'd be easier."

So maybe they've settled down some with age (and the enormous responsibility of keeping their giant corporate enterprise afloat), but has anything else really changed for the Stones — or any band out there trying to live their rock 'n' roll fantasies?

Not really, according to McLagan. "Life on the road is life on the road. It's always the same, whoever you're with. I like a drink after the gig, and I like to relax. I like a laugh, and I like another drink. And another laugh."

He's looking forward to sharing some of both with his old friends after opening for them on Sunday. Maybe Woody will even sit in on an old Faces song, or Mac will join the Stones during their set.

Then it's back to the Lucky Lounge the following Thursday. Same as it ever was.
20th October 2006 07:18 AM
Nellcote Great read TTM, thanks.
I'll take this chance to remind others who have not picked it up, go to Mac's site, get your personally signed copy of "All The Rage". A Wicked Pissa book about Mac's adventures with all of his mates.

http://www.macspages.com/
20th October 2006 07:51 AM
FotiniD I like Ian, both as a player and the humour he has... Can you imagine just how great it would be if he took Chuckie's place? Oh brother.
20th October 2006 10:33 AM
Rags Just want to clarify the details for Ian McLagan & the Bump Band’s gig at the Continental Club in Austin.

Sunday, October 22
Continental Club
1315 South Congress Avenue

Tickets: $10
Doors: 9pm
Heybale: 9:30pm
Ian McLagan & the Bump Band: 12am

Tickets are available on a first come first served basis at the door.

Hope to see you there...

Lynne
Bump Secretary
20th October 2006 10:53 AM
glencar For those lucky enough to have VH1 Classic, the BBC Crown Jewels will be showing the Faces special today at 2PM EST. I shall be putting it on DVD.
20th October 2006 11:20 AM
Nellcote Crank it GC!

Think of this guy when you are watching...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVYEebcMlFU
[Edited by Nellcote]
20th October 2006 11:22 AM
jb It is a shame that he was let go for Chuck!!! RW may not, however, made it with MAc in the lineup...
20th October 2006 02:44 PM
killerbitch I have a friend who saw the Stones about two nights ago and was talking
about Keith. I am trying to encourage him to write what he wrote to me
on this forum. I think you all will be very interested.
20th October 2006 02:56 PM
jb
quote:
killerbitch wrote:
I have a friend who saw the Stones about two nights ago and was talking
about Keith. I am trying to encourage him to write what he wrote to me
on this forum. I think you all will be very interested.

Please do!!! I love an honest opinion!!!
20th October 2006 03:05 PM
throbby Did he post this on a Yahoo Stones boot message board a couple of days ago?
20th October 2006 03:18 PM
jb
quote:
throbby wrote:
Did he post this on a Yahoo Stones boot message board a couple of days ago?

What did it say Throbster?
20th October 2006 03:25 PM
throbby Don't jump on me, just relaying a review. I've removed his name.

Hello fellow Stones obssessives,

I saw our boys last night here in Seattle at the big stadium show. They even did 3 or 4 songs I haven't seen them do before, including She Was Hot, which was fantastic. Overall, the show was not the best I've seen, but very good and I had a lot of fun.

My concern is that Keith really seemed out of it. The first half of the show was really good for him and the rest of the band, but on his second song (T & A, which was a surprise, and a pleasant sort of trainwreck. Don't get me wrong, I loved it), he really started to fade. He barely played guitar at all. Then, on the way to the small stage on Under My Thumb, he barely played or moved. On ONNYA, the same thing and the song was slow and lifeless. The band even seemed to wonder how he was. Mick touched him on the back twice (maybe just getting by him, but it seemed like concern). He played HTW really fast like he wanted it to be over, but I was happy that he was playing and it was a different version.

He made several efforts to move around on stage and even smiled some, but still played and moved minimally. Sometimes he just stood or crouched with his head down, barely or not playing. This continued throughout the show. Mick even looked back at him a couple of times.

Every time he went down to his knees like he does, he had trouble getting back up. He wandered around the stage once or twice not playing and occassionally swaying or staggering (I doubt it's physiologically possible for him to get drunk anymore).

He started Brown Sugar perfect, but between the intro and the lyrics, he was completely off, hitting wrong chords. The band seemed to get him back on track. He perked up near the end (last 2 songs) kind of like there was a light at the end of the tunnel. There were bursts here and there or movement and playing, but not like the Keith we all know and love.

I was so completely preoccupied with him, I barely enjoyed the second half of the show. I was actually worried about him. I know it sounds silly, but it's sobering to see my hero like this after he's been a part of my life for 26 years.

Does anyone know anything specific? Was it the fall from the coconut tree? Has that done some long term damage? Is he just slowing down due to age and an excessively abusive lifestyle? Did he just have a bad show?

I read a lot of the reviews of the shows for this leg of the tour on iorr.org, and there are other similar observations for some, not all, of the shows. Anyway, I hope this is ok to express here. If not, please let me know nicely.
20th October 2006 03:28 PM
jb Similar to what many have reported.....I am very anxious about AC!!!
[Edited by jb]
20th October 2006 06:05 PM
Saint Sway I'm having doubts.... maybe I should of stuck by my original commitment to have made MSG my last show... I hope he rocks in AC... I dont want my last Stones show memory to be of a frail Keith....
21st October 2006 10:23 AM
Sir Stonesalot I'm tellin' ya, this really sounds like he's having some medication issues. He's most likely on pain meds as a result of his fall, and his chronic arthritis. The meds work during the beginning of the show, and as he plays and moves during the gig, he starts to hurt more...so he takes a couple more pills, and when they kick in...blammo. You got a dazed & confused keith. And if he's had alcohol on top of it...well it's a wonder that he can function at all.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't know any of this to be a fact...but it seems to make the most sense to me.

Once the tour is over, I think he'll be fine. However, his touring days could be done at that point.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)