ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy 70th Bill!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones longevity killed Stones music? Return to archive
18th October 2006 08:27 PM
real wild child In ī89 when the Stones decided to comeback on the road the longevity became an important fact to see them live...and music?...someway their longevity killed their music...There were bands as Beatles,Doors,Zepellin and I dare to say Guns and Roses (plus Hendrix and Janis)that had a very short period in music industry but their songs are so alive!!! Maybe it would be better if Mick and Keith decided to hang up everything at the end of the Tattoo You tour...In ī81 was the last moment that Stones and music were together...Now itīs all about Mickīs jumping at 63, money,posing and entertainment...and ,well they are still playing but the fucking setlist itīs always the same,play other songs damm it!! the band is 44 years old!!!!! or Satisfaction,Brown Sugar,JJF will be dead!!!!
[Edited by real wild child]
18th October 2006 08:40 PM
Nellcote Couldn't Homeland Security be off with you?
Do you drive a Pacer, or a Matador, or a Fairmont?
Ever see a baby's arm holding an apple?
Look like Nick Nolte at the lineup?
Ask for one paperclip at Staples?
Can't understand "light fuse-get away"?
Think Donna Shalala can see straight?
Ask why you "drive on a parkway"
Question why Slurpee is the national drink of India?
These are about as timely as complaining about the World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band.
It's the Stones, dammit!
You don't like it?
Go turn on your eight track with the Little River Band..
18th October 2006 08:42 PM
texile as cynical that assessment is,
i partly agree....
the fan in me loves em and will pay money out of my ass to see them no matter what...
but can you imagine if the stones had quit in 78, 80,... maybe after tattoo?
they would be GODS to younger generations.
there coolness and badness would have be enshrined forever.
18th October 2006 08:47 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
texile wrote:
as cynical that assessment is,
i partly agree....
the fan in me loves em and will pay money out of my ass to see them no matter what...
but can you imagine if the stones had quit in 78, 80,... maybe after tattoo?
they would be GODS to younger generations.
there coolness and badness would have be enshrined forever.

Yes, true. Many people in my school just think of the stones as some old guys trying to be cool and hip. They don't realize how badass they were, and still are, in some cases.
18th October 2006 09:38 PM
Soldatti I've seen them in 1998 and 2006, I say NO.
18th October 2006 10:17 PM
ebmp I would never have the chance to see them if they had quit in 81. I saw them in Copacabana and it's something I'll never forget. You know, we complain about the setlists, that they're boring, but when you're seeing them, that doesnt matter
18th October 2006 11:46 PM
Spru Not a bad arguement, but when you hear JJF, HTW, Sympathy or some of the other warhorses for the first time or two, you are still blown away. I remember when I first got into these songs in my mid-teens (2000-ish), and I knew who the guys were already and knew they were still going, but it doesn't take away from what you hear when those originial studio tracks come on the radio, CD player, etc. The Stones still rock - always have, always will - period.
[Edited by Spru]
18th October 2006 11:58 PM
Bruno
If they quit in the 80s I wouldnīt see them in Copacabana.

You know what would turn the Stones into a "Rock Mythology BadAss Monster" to younger public? If Keith or Mick had died due to overdose in the 70s. Itīs a ridiculous "reason" but you know it works to a lot of people.
19th October 2006 12:14 AM
Route66 To me the Stones still write great music, and their worst albums are better than most groups' best.

I disagree.
19th October 2006 01:47 AM
MikeyC613 If people can't dig the Stones, they can't dig the Stones, and I can't dig those people.
19th October 2006 02:14 AM
Route66 Well said Mikey!

19th October 2006 05:14 AM
Honky Tonk Man In terms of their actual recording career, if they'd called it a day after Exile On Main Street, they'd be right up there with the Beatles in my opinion. I certainly think they'd be regarded higher in some circles. However, I'm so glad they've carried on. There is nothing more exciting than the release of a new Stones LP. I learnt that last year!
19th October 2006 09:34 AM
NHStonesfan
quote:
ebmp wrote:
I would never have the chance to see them if they had quit in 81. I saw them in Copacabana and it's something I'll never forget. You know, we complain about the setlists, that they're boring, but when you're seeing them, that doesnt matter

Well said! I've seen them 10 times since Steels Wheels and none before. Whenever I seee another band even ones that I enjoy I wish it was the Stones.

If Larry Bird could come out of retirement and score 12 per game, 5 assist and 5 rebounds, I'd watch. The Stones who used to average 30 points per night are still scoring in the teens. I even enjoy their new albums, the enjoyment just isn't infinite like their pre 81 stuff.
19th October 2006 09:52 AM
Some Guy If they could somehow release a hit album with some killer tracks all would be forgiven.
19th October 2006 10:06 AM
jb The music has sucked sionce 84 inward-a disgrace.
19th October 2006 08:21 PM
texile
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

Yes, true. Many people in my school just think of the stones as some old guys trying to be cool and hip. They don't realize how badass they were, and still are, in some cases.

yep,
and that's a shame because the stones really were the epitome of cool and decadence in thier day...
and it wasnt't all a pose.
19th October 2006 08:34 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
If they could somehow release a hit album with some killer tracks all would be forgiven.

Yeah, but what are the chances of that happening, I suspect that even if there were killer tracks we might miss them, everything is so familiar, especially the voice, can't make bad tracks (even the horrible SSMC), can't make great tracks anymore.

It's probably just me, but I'd say that the two best Stones related tracks of the past 25 years have been the solo "Wandering Spirit" and "Words of Wonder" tracks, WS is probably the only time Mick's been writing genuine lyrics, since...forever.
19th October 2006 10:03 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Yeah, but what are the chances of that happening, I suspect that even if there were killer tracks we might miss them, everything is so familiar, especially the voice, can't make bad tracks (even the horrible SSMC), can't make great tracks anymore.

The chances of a killer album or hit is almost zero, they're very out of touch with the mainstream.
19th October 2006 11:19 PM
Route66 Then why is anyone here still bothering to go see them in concert?

Their albums are still better than 90% of the other shit being played on today's airwaves. Their worst albums are better than most band's best albums. There is practically no act performing any where in the world today I'd put on the same par with the Stones.

There are a few, but not very many.
[Edited by Route66]
[Edited by Route66]
20th October 2006 11:39 AM
egon
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

they're very out of touch with the mainstream.

which is a good thing right?
20th October 2006 11:51 AM
texile
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:

It's probably just me, but I'd say that the two best Stones related tracks of the past 25 years have been the solo "Wandering Spirit" and "Words of Wonder" tracks, WS is probably the only time Mick's been writing genuine lyrics, since...forever.

true - i've always said that jagger's WS is the best stones album since undercover, no matter what keith thinks.
20th October 2006 10:20 PM
Spru
quote:
Route66 wrote:
There is practically no act performing any where in the world today I'd put on the same par with the Stones.

There are a few, but not very many.
[Edited by Route66]
[Edited by Route66]

Stones are my favorite of all-time, but Pearl Jam is the best live band of right now and one of the best ever. So, Pearl Jam is one of the "few". Go see them if you have a chance. They are genuine, true to their fans, extremely energetic, and everything else a rock band should be.
20th October 2006 11:10 PM
Route66 I wouldn't mind seeing PJ.
21st October 2006 12:41 PM
Spru Go for it. A PJ concert is an expreience like no other.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)