ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy 70th Bill!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Most stylish movies of all time Return to archive
17th October 2006 09:33 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The chic gods

With their stylish actors, GQ names best fashion flicks

By JOE DZIEMIANOWICZ
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

'North by Northwest,' starring Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint, was named the most stylish movie of all time by GQ’s November issue.

The biggest — and most mimicked — style statements don't always come from runways or the street. They're made in movies.
Flicks like "North by Northwest," 1960's "Ocean's 11" and "A Hard Day's Night" made GQ's list of the 25 most stylish movies of all time.

"Films are where style is immortalized," said Adam Rapoport, style editor of GQ. "They're something everyone has access to." The roster, out tomorrow in GQ's November issue, represents six decades of timeless looks, chosen by the glossy's editors. Each film's fashions have had a lasting influence on the catwalk and men's closets alike.

Take Fellini's "8½," starring Marcello Mastroianni in a black suit, white shirt and black tie that screamed classic confidence — even though his character was falling apart.

The look, from 1963, is still coveted, copied and revered.

Alfred Hitchcock's 1959 thriller "North By Northwest" topped the list. Cary Grant's impeccably tailored gray suit "is arguably the most legendary in the history of American cinema," according to GQ.

It is also one of the most knocked off: see Tom Cruise in "Collateral," Ben Affleck in "Paycheck" or at any New York power lunch. In 1975's "Three Days of the Condor," Robert Redford played a CIA researcher who never took off his jacket and jeans. "That's what every American guy wears now," says Rapoport.

Richard Roundtree's long leather coat in 1971's "Shaft" is still on most guys' must-have lists.

Several of the movies on the GQ list have anti-heroes, including 1996's junkie flick "Trainspotting" and 1980's "American Gigolo," which found male prostitute Richard Gere in head-to-toe Armani. The designer's career zoomed after the movie came out.

Al Pacino was no angel as Michael Corleone in 1974's "The Godfather Part II." But his form-fitting double-breasted suits were "a timeless look," Rapoport said.v "Bullitt," the 1968 cop classic starring Steve McQueen, made the cut thanks to the title character's thick wool turtlenecks and worsted wool trousers.

McQueen gave those pants much consideration, according to costume designer Theadora Van Runkle: "Mainly, he liked his fanny to look good."

GQ's 25 Most Stylish Movies

1. "North by Northwest" (1959)
2. "Breathless" (1959)
3. "Ocean's 11" (1960)
4. "Purple Noon" (1960)
5. "8%BD" (1963)
6. "A Hard Day's Night" (1964)
7. "How to Steal a Million" (1966)
8. "Blowup" (1966)
9. "Bullitt" (1968)
10. "Get Carter" (1970)
11. "A Clockwork Orange" (1971)
12. "Shaft" (1971)
13. "Badlands" (1973)
14. "The Harder They Come" (1973)
15. "The Godfather Part II" (1974)
16. "Shampoo" (1975)
17. "Three Days of the Condor" (1975)
18. "Quadrophenia" (1979)
19. "American Gigolo" (1980)
20. "Diner" (1982)
21. "Stranger than Paradise" (1984)
22. "Reservoir Dogs" (1992)
23. "Trainspotting" (1996)
24. "Rushmore" (1998)
25. "In the Mood for Love" (2000)

Originally published on October 16, 2006

17th October 2006 09:39 AM
TampabayStone I don't particularly care for your sig. Or something like that.
17th October 2006 09:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:
I don't particularly care for your sig.

Not very stylish, is it?
17th October 2006 09:46 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Not very stylish, is it?

I just hope I can get that image out of my mind before bed time.
17th October 2006 12:23 PM
texile i love all the old corny douglas sirk movies...
and those bright, colorful mgm movies of the 50s...
17th October 2006 03:26 PM
MrPleasant If I understand a film's style differently than those metrosexual geeks at GQ, Vertigo is much more stilysh, as a movie, than North. Also, if we're dealing exclusively with clothing, where the hell are Pret à Porter, Tarzan The Ape Man (with Bo Derek) and Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls?

These are memorable for their style (art production, photography, framing) (and more):

Eyes Wide Shut.

Barry Lyndon.

Suspiria

Last Year At Marienbad.

Manhattan.

Irreversible is very stylish. It's sickening too (with the beating to death of a man with a fire extinguisher and the raping and killing of a young woman).

(Last year's most shocking film, by word of mouth, is called The Great Ecstasy Of Robert Carmichael: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117927122.html?categoryid=1929&cs=1 ).
17th October 2006 04:32 PM
Fiji Joe Hard to believe "Quest for Fire" did not make the list...

17th October 2006 04:36 PM
pdog

17th October 2006 04:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot Most stylish movie?

Hmmmmm.....

I'd have to say "Hot Asian Lezbo Ass 4".

17th October 2006 05:00 PM
TampabayStone Sacred Sin
17th October 2006 05:23 PM
Egbert Blow Up is a good selection. 2046 and In The Mood For Love are very stylish as well.
17th October 2006 10:35 PM
BILL PERKS everything kubrick did was stylish... and fantatstic
17th October 2006 10:42 PM
lotsajizz Repo Man, A Fistfull Of Dollars, Triumph Of The Will, Reservoir Dogs
17th October 2006 10:45 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Hard to believe "Quest for Fire" did not make the list...

Stop posting summit pics....

17th October 2006 10:54 PM
MrPleasant There's David Lynch also, of course.

And a great dating movie: Salo (by Pasolini).

Sadly, my only two dating movies have been The Blair Witch Project and The Fight Club. I once asked my ex-girlfriend to watch Belle Du Jour with me, and she gave me a funny look. Maybe she thought I was a pervert or something. I mean, I am a pervert, but at least I don't like to make out in public. It embarrasses me.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
17th October 2006 10:59 PM
not bound to please
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

And a great dating movie: Salo (by Pasolini).

Hahaha...you know - I did see that on a date once....

Seriously.

17th October 2006 11:10 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

Hahaha...you know - I did see that on a date once....

Seriously.

Peter Greenaway, I'm sure, is in love with that flick. Or with the "idea" of the flick, at least.
17th October 2006 11:35 PM
not bound to please
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Peter Greenaway, I'm sure, is in love with that flick. Or with the "idea" of the flick, at least.

Derek Jarman is pretty good too.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)