ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Montauk, Long Island, NY - 1978 by Chris Makos
From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ron Wood DVD: Far East Man Return to archive
10-20-02 06:09 PM
Mathijs Today I bought Ronnie Wood�s new (well, first) DVD �Far East Man�, recorded in December 2001 in Shepherd�s Bush. I must say I didn�t expect much of it, as we all know the stories about Ronnie�s drinking habits at that time, and the stories about how he almost dropped dead at these gigs to promote his new album. I bought it mainly since I am a big Slash fan, and Ronnie Wood&Slash equals something very interesting in my opinion. I must say I am really pleasantly surprised by an absolutely ripping Rock and Roll show, and an excellent playing Wood! The DVD starts of a little shaky with a nervous Wood finding his way through a slow Hey Negrita and an off-version of Rock and Roll Star (with a really out of tune solo by Ronnie), but everything seems to fall in place with This Little Heart. Brilliantly sung and great guitar work, only I do find Lea Wood�s off-key singing a bit annoying. Then to two acoustic songs, which have a very nice laid back atmosphere, spiced up by Franky Gavin on violin. But now the real fun starts as Slash enters stage. I must admit that I think Slash is the best guitar player since the 70�s, but he also manages to get the best out of Wood. Slash�s tone and feel are actually really reminiscent of Mick Taylor, you can hear he has been listening closely to Taylor�s work. It starts with a ripping version of Testify (not included in the concert menu, only accessible through the tracks menu!) were we have a duelling Slash and Wood. I haven�t heard Wood playing these kind of lead guitar since the �75 and �78 tour! The Groovin� You, which resembles the shaky approach of the Barbarians, but now spiced up with excellent lead guitar by Slash. Next is the Faces� old Flying, and here Wood also seems inspired by Slash�s guitar work, as he start duelling again. This version really rocks! And now the best of the evening: a beautiful version of Far East Man, with excellent slide work by Ronnie and Slash who�s doing tasty fills much in the original way of Taylor. �Imagine� is quite o.k., but just not my favourite song. Next is Guns �N Roses Paradise City, which Slash starts with the riff of �Just Like Anything�, of the Slash�s Snakepit Album �Ain�t Live Grand� . Slash�s work is nice here, but it is clear the band is struggling to follow him as he speeds it up. Then a perfect �Crotch Music� of Wood�s I�Ve Got My Own Album To Do (now called �Kilburn/Crotch Music!), with again excellent work by Slash and Wood, who really seems to be challenging each other. Stay With Me is a nice closer, but a little shaky as Wood seems to more into pleasing the crowd.

All in all an excellent DVD, which really surprised me. I think that Wood shows his best playing in years here, even if his voice is sometimes a bit lost. Even if you don�t like G �N R, the memory of Taylor really shines through in the work of Slash, who choose to keep a lower profile than he had in Guns. IN my opinion the best side project of a Stone since Jagger�s Wandering Spirit and Wood�s excellent Slide on This. Come on now Stones �it�s your turn for a great DVD of a club show, and ask Slash to join in!

Mathijs
10-20-02 06:29 PM
Gazza >I haven�t heard Wood playing these kind of lead guitar since the �75 and �78 tour!

Told y'all at the time he was in good form..and that was BEFORE he got sober!!

I was at the Dublin show,Mathijs, a few days earlier and went there with only medium expectations...but I thought it was a superb show and that Woody and Slash were great (I've never been a huge GNR fan although obviously the guy's a terrific musician - this show just blew me away,it was a great evening)
10-20-02 08:57 PM
Cooper Where can i buy one of the Woody DVD's?
10-21-02 01:19 PM
Starfucker Mathijs,

Do you know where Miss You can be found. It's on the back of the DVD but I can't find the track on the disc...
10-22-02 03:56 AM
Mathijs I am looking for that one myself too. There's a small snippet at the end of the No Beginner back-stage material, but that's all I know.

Mathijs
10-22-02 03:58 AM
Starfucker Yes, but there's also a small snippet of IORR and that one isn't on the box....