ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Montauk, Long Island, NY - 1978 by Chris Makos
From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Andrew Oldham Return to archive
10-20-02 12:16 PM
Harrylime This is a small extract from an article on Andrew Oldham I
came across in the Times.
"Once they'd had their first hit,he set about making them the most notorious group in the world.In creating the template for all subsequent rock'n'roll excess,the Stones
merely followed Oldham's personal example.If he wanted drugs
he went not to some street dealer but to the NY doctor who had scripted JFK's amphetamine pick-ups.To choose a car,he got the showroom to drive the latest models in every available colour past his window.
Yet within four years his creation would turn and devour him.After the establishment had decided the Stones had to be taught a lesson and Jagger ,Richards and Brian Jones had all been busted,their manager fled to America in a state of panic.
"My bottle had gone because I knew they'd come after me and I knew I wasn't going to have fans outside the jail with placards saying 'free Andrew' he admits.One night in early 1967,the police followed his chauffeur driven Rolls-Royce home from the studio and produced a search warrant.'I provoked them to hit me because I calculated that if I started a fight,it would create a distraction and give Eddie
my driver,time to get rid of the drugs.While all this was going on,Eddie duly disposed of the incriminating evidence.
Oldham took off for California,leaving his charges to face
the trauma of court appearances and nights in the nick alone.By the time he deemed it safe to return,it was too late.Jagger was unforgiving and their mutual parting of the waves came in a phone call which ended with the words "Goodbye,Mick,Have a good life".
When the Stones were inducted into the Rock'n"Roll Hall of Famein 1989,Jagger read a long list of thanks which pointedly omitted the groups's first svengali.It was left to Pete Townshend,who was conducting the ceremony,to rectify the omission.
10-20-02 04:59 PM
stonedinaustralia "When the Stones were inducted into the Rock'n"Roll Hall of Fame in 1989,Jagger read a long list of thanks which pointedly omitted the groups's first svengali.It was left to Pete Townshend,who was conducting the ceremony,to rectify the omission."

funny that, as the band made a reasonable acknowledgment of andrew's contribution in "25x5" which came out shortly after

btw, i watched "25x5" again yesterday - it must have the funniest stones interview i've ever seen, when the interviewer asks charlie what it's been like playing in the band for 25 years:

"5 years of work, 20 years of hanging around"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-20-02 11:36 PM
gypsymofo60 I love the bit where some wanky northern monkey asks Charlie how much the band have made, and Charlie replies in that hysterical way; Thouuuuuuuuuuuusands! Then quickly corrects himself with; "I don't know Bill, what would you say? About two or free 'undred quid?" Meanwhile look at Jagger in the background, he is genuinely cracking up!
10-21-02 03:31 AM
Child of the Moon "It's a million-dollar concern... must be!"

Oh, Charlie Watts... is there anything he doesn't know?
10-21-02 07:26 AM
stonedinaustralia and it's weird seeing them all smoking

and mick's "very diplomatic" routine - what a scream