ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Montauk, Long Island, NY - 1978 by Chris Makos
From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Licks World Tour Guitar List Return to archive
10-20-02 12:19 AM
no_cole_porter Hey All,
Now that the boys have been on the tour for 2 months now, I was just wondering if there have been any guitar changes since the first few weeks? Did any ever find out what the fuck Ronnie's been playing on Street Fighting Man? Is it a Rickenbacker? A Sitar? A Hamster?

P.S. Mathjis, If you've got any info on Keith's Skull And Crossbones Zemaitis guitar, It would be fab of you to share. Or anyone else for that matter.

Why hasn't much been said about Keith's Zemaitis? It is a 5 String I belive. Was it stolen? I remember that photo of Bob Dylan playing it backstage in Vanity Fair.

Which reminds me, I was reading On The Road With The Rolling Stones, And had to get this off my chest, Shame on Chet Flippo for calling Keith's Zemaitis a Gibson.
10-20-02 02:17 AM
FPM C10 Woody's playing an electric sitar, I think a Coral, but I'm not sure if it's vintage or one of the recent reissues. Woody's got the coolest guitar rack this year - especially since he got himself a Dan Armstrong. Bet that makes Keith wish he still had the prototype, which got stolen in '71 or '72.

I noticed Keith has added a red ES-335 to the black one he's been using the last few years - maybe the one from the back cover of YaYas? - and it's cool that Jagger got a vintage Telecaster for this tour. But Woody's got the goodies.
10-20-02 02:22 AM
FPM C10
quote:
no_cole_porter wrote:
P.S. Mathjis, If you've got any info on Keith's Skull And Crossbones Zemaitis guitar, It would be fab of you to share. Or anyone else for that matter.

Keith was playing that the first time I saw the Stones.
I thought Ted Newman-Jones built it. About the same time he got that he also got a Gibson L-6S which is shaped similarly, so that might be why Chet got flummoxed. After all, he's a professional journalist!
10-20-02 03:12 AM
no_cole_porter There was a book at our local library that featured a blueprint for the making of the Ted Newman Jones Keith Richards guitar. It was something like The Rolling Stones: The First 20 Years or something. Someone nicked the book before I had a chance to read it again.
10-20-02 07:25 AM
Mathijs The 5-string with skulls and daggers is a Zemaitis, Keith mentioned it in the Guitar World issue of 1975. Last time Keith used that one was at the beginning of the 1978 tour. I don't think it is stolen, as Keith took better care of his guitars since 1975, I think it is standing in the warehouse were they keep all their equipment. According to Alan Rogan, the fired guitar tech for 20 years, all Stones stuff starting from 1963 is standing there, and he sais there's about 200 guitars of Keith. The guitars built by Newman-Jones were only used in 1973, and never after that. These are the strange looking guitars with P90 pickups. The guitar of the blue print in the "First 20 Years" has, has far as I know been used by Keith one time during the 1979 Barbarians tour. I haven't seen any other pics of it. If anybody knows what Newman-Jones is doing now, please let me know, he seems to have dissapeared completely.

Mathijs
10-20-02 11:39 AM
SirMuddy Keith got at least two guitars with skulls & Knife... the Zematis... and a gybson or a ted newman Jones...
I have the pictures here... but don't know how to put it on the boards!