ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Montauk, Long Island, NY - 1978 by Chris Makos
From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: If Your Band Could Pick *ONE* Stones Song To Cover... Return to archive
10-19-02 09:39 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Would you be pissed off? Yeah, and I am, but at least I'm in a band. I figure I can get away with recommending *one* Stones song. We have no harp, nor do we have a drummer that remotely approaches Charlie. But if he plays any of that stupid ultra-fast tom-tom beat 'wow modern pop ruelz' type-crap, I will hit him with my bass.

So one Stones song... what would you pick? I'm torn between "Rocks Off" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" (subbing a guitar in for the sax... blasphemy, right?).

Any others? Preferably rock numbers, grungy, hard numbers.

-tSYX --- Help me, baby! Ain't no stranger!
10-19-02 09:50 PM
beer Dead Flowers, Jumpin Jack Flash, and Sympathy(Ya ya's version) would all be fun to cover. Even some of the great obscure songs off of Aftermath.

Don't know anyone who could pull off the Richards/Taylor guitar solo's in the Ya Ya's Sympathy though!
10-19-02 09:54 PM
gypsymofo60 Bitch always works quite well.
10-19-02 09:58 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The first one I always cover when I join a band on a party or bar, is and always will be SFTD.

In fact I did it at the Giants Stadium parking lot with some cool new friends (Roland and Kevin and "my singers" four very cool girlfriens) I found next to our car (well Scope's LOL)

Did anynone heard me sing it on the parking lot?

I also love to do Gimme Shelter and Rocks Off, next time we need to make a gig babies!

this was the reply I got from them

Hey, Bro

Just wanted to drop you a line to say what a great time we all had at the Stone's show at Giant's stadium!
And a VERY good time jammin' Stone's tunes with our acoustic guitars in the parking lot!

It was so cool to hear everyone singing along and drinking and having a great time.
Hope all is well, take care and keep rockin' and rollin'!!

Love your website, fantastic job. I'll visit it often.

Rolling Stones Rule my man!

Cool people!
10-19-02 10:18 PM
justforyou One of my favourites has always been Crazy Mamma, with the dirty fat lead ontop of that staggering rhythm and the mean lyrics :- coz if you really think you can push it...
10-19-02 10:26 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I forgot one, I love to do Jumpin' Jack Flash backing Mick Jagger... yeah... with no shoes on my feet and using the sole of my left shoe as a mike!

The Stones rock and the fans MUST do the same, life is to Rock

rock on my friends,

Salud!
10-19-02 10:28 PM
Child of the Moon I used to be in a fantastic band in high school - I mean some really GREAT folks were in that band, as far as playing goes - and we used to jam on damn near everything. We used to play every single song from Satanic Majesties (plus We Love You and Dandelion) for friends... little mini-concerst, I suppose. We played almost everything; if we didn't know it, we learned it or played it by ear. I think we kept Midnight Rambler going for fifteen or sixteen minutes once! :-) I played guitar and did vocals, BTW... sang all of the Keef songs and most of the Mick ones.

I wish we hadn't have broken up, because it was a gas. Guys went to college, etc...
10-19-02 10:40 PM
Flash77 My last band used to cover "Dead Flowers". I am thinking about asking my new band to do "Stray Cat Blues". I can't get enough of that one at the moment.
10-19-02 11:12 PM
full moon I Go Wild...
10-19-02 11:33 PM
FTELE52 I'm in a stones coverband now and my personal favorite is Monkey Man. Killer Keef riffing and lovely piano makes this thing work.
10-20-02 12:32 AM
Boomhauer Starfucker
If You Can't Rock Me
Hand of Fate
When the Whip Comes Down
All Down the Line

........are just some suggestions. I think "Hand of fate" would be a good one to cover.

But I play sax........so I would probably choose something like Brown Sugar.........so I can get my rocks off. lol
10-20-02 03:07 AM
MidnightRambler Shoot! I wanna be in a Stones-cover band!! Damn!

I play the guitar and don't have any friends who like classic rock/Stones for a band.

Heck, if I get a band of all adults---that'd be great too!
10-20-02 05:16 AM
luxury1 Maybe you should stay current and cover "Don't Stop". It sounds pretty easy to do (like I know what I'm talking about). It makes me want to dance.
10-20-02 06:23 AM
no_cole_porter Well during our lunch hour at school, My friends and I would meet in the band room, plug in and crank out songs. The one that would constantly pop up was Brown Sugar. There's such a danceable groove to that song and it's so damn funky. But I gotta say, I'd love to do Rambler or Bitch with a hot band.
10-20-02 06:28 AM
Moonisup Bitch, SFTD, Brown Sugar, Start me up and JJF are so cool to do at a guitar, so rocky, also the slower ones are groovy, on an acoustic guitar, no expectations, wild horses, love in vain, you know

under my thumb is cool to!
[Edited by Moonisup]
10-20-02 09:11 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Maybe you should stay current and cover "Don't Stop". It sounds pretty easy to do (like I know what I'm talking about). It makes me want to dance.

I was thinking that, actually. It's not a hard song at all to play, and the bass line's just a drone, so I could probably sing it if I really wanted to.

But hmm... "Sympathy" and "Rambler" are both good suggestions, easy prey for a "My Generation" epic jam.

"I Go Wild", too...

Damnit! Stupid Metalheads! I want to cover all of these!

I was thinking we'd let our rhythm guitarist (who's into hard rock, the modern rock revival a la Strokes, White Stripes, etc., and The Beach Boys for some reason) sing "Mannish Boy", since he's this scrawny little guy whose guitar probably weighs more than he does.

We've got our first real get-together tomorrow - hopefully we'll pull a few originals together along with some covers and be able to take ourselves on the road, play a few of the bars 'round here.

We do not, however, have a blimp to announce this. Perhaps we could get one of those remote-controlled ones.

Or maybe just a rooftop concert, which I have been trying to get together with *somebody* for two years now...

-tSYX --- Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner...
10-20-02 12:50 PM
sonicrock right now we coverin "in another land"
10-20-02 01:07 PM
Martini I think "Soul Survivor" would be a fun tune to learn and play. "Salt of the Earth" would be great too, if your band has some decent backing vocals. "Crazy Mama" is another tune that rips, and would also be a great choice.

-M
10-20-02 01:38 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
sonicrock wrote:
right now we coverin "in another land"

I wasn't even going to *suggest* that one. The chorus is just so damn cool, though. "Then I awoke... is this some kind of joke?"

Hmm... I don't think "Crazy Mama". My whole "I hate Black And Blue" thing... and yeah, I'm not fond of "Crazy Mama". I like "Hand Of Fate", that might work, but no "Hot Stuff"! Ever! "Salt Of The Earth" just wouldn't cut it with the hard-rock crowd, much as I like it - I may cut loose and do that one solo this year at a bar somewhere. "Soul Survivor" would do well, though.

-tSYX --- Much to my suprise...
10-20-02 03:40 PM
Chico Sympathy is dead easy and a great one to play. As for the solos, well you dont have to do them how Keith or Taylor did them on Ya Yas. Just let rip yourself and go with the flow.(provided you know yer pentatonic scales of course)We did that and JJF.We speeded up JJF at the end like on Street Fighting Man from Brussels Affair. Fuckin' Amazin'
10-20-02 03:55 PM
Pants Make the Man I would cover Soul Survivor because I want to give the people what they need, not what they want.