ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Montauk, Long Island, NY - 1978 by Chris Makos
From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Old gods almost dead?! Return to archive
10-18-02 01:00 PM
denis wilson Ok, I'm reading the current 'biography' of the Rolling Stones by Stephen Davis of Led Zeppelin 'Hammer of the Gods' and Aerosmith 'Walk this way' fame. What's everybody's opinion on this..? I know Gazza doesn't care much for it when compared to the likes of the account of their 72' exile tour. Is there any truth behind the bad blood between Ry Cooder and the Stones?
[Edited by denis wilson]
[Edited by denis wilson]
[Edited by denis wilson]
10-18-02 01:14 PM
jb It's been discussed a thousand times here..most think it is a pretty unfaithful account of the band...he seems to have quite a negative agenda..
10-18-02 04:08 PM
voodoopug I still found it a pretty good read though, although some stories dont follow with other books (notably Wymans).
10-18-02 04:10 PM
Moonisup Good book, some great lies in it and some great mistakes, however, it remains a nice reading book

rk
10-18-02 07:40 PM
Gazza Cooder despised the Stones as human beings when he worked with them in the late 60's - he considered that they ripped a lot of musical ideas off him

Its worth noting that on the LP "Jamming with Edward" that Keith doesnt play on it - there was a lot of animosity between him and Cooder and he wasnt there that night.

I dont think the book's up to much.....its reasonably entertaining to an extent but a lot of the factual errors in it are really embarrassing considering the way its been trumpeted as a major biography. A lot of scissors and paste style lifting from other accounts - and when youre copying other people's ERRORS it doesnt say much for his credibility as a witness. To my knowledge, Stephen Davis doesnt know any of the band members so IMO that hardly qualifies him as an authority to write a biography.
10-18-02 08:39 PM
Jaxx while the text is a rather large "rag sheet" of half truths, the photos are dyno-mite
10-19-02 05:04 PM
jean-pierrre M ..This book is not bad at all..some errors but as a whole it
covers well enough the 40 years..nearly everything is here
.. as a stones'fan since the beginning I have discovered some
unknew stories like Keith & Peter Tosh feud.....
10-19-02 05:25 PM
Gazza .. as a stones'fan since the beginning I have discovered some
unknew stories like Keith & Peter Tosh feud

was that the same one that was in Victor Bockris' Keith biography ?? (ie the story where Tosh was staying at Point of View,Keith's home in Ocho Rios and when asked to vacate the place refused to do so until Keith basically threatened to turn up and shoot him.....when he arrived Tosh had abandoned the house and completely trashed the property)
10-19-02 05:28 PM
jean-pierrre M
quote:
Gazza wrote:
.. as a stones'fan since the beginning I have discovered some
unknew stories like Keith & Peter Tosh feud

was that the same one that was in Victor Bockris' Keith biography ?? (ie the story where Tosh was staying at Point of View,Keith's home in Ocho Rios and when asked to vacate the place refused to do so until Keith basically threatened to turn up and shoot him.....when he arrived Tosh had abandoned the house and completely trashed the property)

....yes....JP
10-19-02 05:56 PM
gotdablouse I finally picked it up the other day, $10 for the updated version (much better cover...) and I'm really pleased with it.

You guys know I'm a maniac for details, but I have yet to find any lie/mistake in there. Can the bashers point a few out for my education ?

On the other hand it's got the only substantial account of the B2B sessions I've seen anywhere to this day. That enough justifies the $10 !

10-19-02 06:52 PM
gotdablouse Well I just read the 86/90 period - not bad but I did find a few mistakes:
1) He calls Steve Jordan, Steve JordOn for some reason...
2) He says "So Young" was recorded during Steel Wheels for Carla Bruni. Not true it dates back to 77/78 and was polished by Mick at the Power Plant in late '93. Note that Karnbach who had access to the session tapes said it had been recorded in 94...so it's not much better and unlike Karnbach he correctly attributes the "Call Girl Blues" working title to "Break the Spell", not "Cook Cook Blues"
3) Same ting for "Wish I'd Never Met you". While no one knows for sure, it's likely this was recorded in Paris in '85 and even possibly '82
4) He says Mick wasn't involved in "Slipping Away" to continue his point about the "feud", but in fact it's one of the rare "Keith" tracks with Happy and The Worst where he can be heard...

Still nothing that makes me regret my $10 and he's already hinted at some "trouble" for Matt Clifford...let's see what's next
[Edited by gotdablouse]
[Edited by gotdablouse]