ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Montauk, Long Island, NY - 1978 by Chris Makos
From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Some Girls question Return to archive
10-17-02 04:57 PM
Mickjagger1963 Just wondering is the LP cover of Some Girls WITH Lucille ball and Marilyn Monroe on it valuable and/or hard to find? I just traded my friend Hotel California for it. I don't know whether to save it and store it or play the hell out of it.
10-17-02 04:59 PM
Moonisup Save and store it!!
10-17-02 05:35 PM
Mickjagger1963 that what i figured, thanks
10-17-02 08:39 PM
gypsymofo60 The original cover, before they had to delete certain celebrity faces is getting harder to find, but a large number of those covers actually stayed in production in out of the way countries for quite a few years. I wont mention the countries for fear of offending any natives of those countries, but recently when replacing my worn out copy, I was able to obtain a fairly recent pressing of record and cover.
10-18-02 04:15 AM
F505 I still have the original album I bought in 1978: it's one of my treasures. Beautiful artwork. One of the best designed covers ever.
10-18-02 07:22 AM
Maxlugar I have the original I bought in '78 too.

I snuggle it every now and then.

Ma-maxy!
10-18-02 08:57 AM
Mickjagger1963 I also got a goat's Head soup alsbum that I think may be some kind of import, It says something like world records on the back, and it is a plastic clear holding for the record, not paper or wahtever, is this the regular American print or soemthing else?
10-18-02 09:03 AM
gypsymofo60 Hahaha! Lovely to hear peoples 'Some Girls' stories. I can still remember a frigid,frosty Morwell morning; 9:00 am, I'm standing on the doorstep of Roxy Music,(great record shop that single handedly pushed my old radio show along), I know it's not gonna make much sense to anybody else, but I beg humour me for a second), I was the first person in town to buy the record, it meant alot for so long, and it weren't just my imagination. What a year! What an album! What a fucking band!......Nuff said, droogs!
10-18-02 09:24 AM
F505 I bought the Goat's Head Soup album in London in 1973. As a 10 year old kid I was on holiday with my parents. My mother allowed me to buy a souvenir and instead of a miniature copy of the Big Ben I bought that incredible yellow album: my first Stones record (that I still have). The interior sleeve has photos (a.o. Nicky Hopkins and Billy Preston) and there is a special inlay photo with a goat' head floating in a fat soup. Great!
10-18-02 09:44 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
F505 wrote:
I bought the Goat's Head Soup album in London in 1973. As a 10 year old kid I was on holiday with my parents. My mother allowed me to buy a souvenir and instead of a miniature copy of the Big Ben I bought that incredible yellow album: my first Stones record (that I still have). The interior sleeve has photos (a.o. Nicky Hopkins and Billy Preston) and there is a special inlay photo with a goat' head floating in a fat soup. Great!

That kicks major arse! 10? Even I was still listening to David Cassidy at ten. I had that vinyl copy of Goats, the one with all the stills of the contributers, and the yummy stock-pot. 1973 was a great year in Britain...Goats Head, The Stones toured, did The Empire Pool. and Liverpool F.C won nearly everything on offer. Moonisup would have enjoyed it too, Holland were kicking alot of football arse, Ajax won ABSOLUTELY everything, Hey Moonie? Cruyff was the football equivalent of Jagger. But I gotta say buying your first Stones album at 10, and choosing such a great album must be worth something in the after-life!
10-18-02 01:20 PM
Mickjagger1963 My goats head soup dosent have any pictures or anything, also how many postcards does the original Exile have? the copy of Exile I just bought has four.
10-18-02 05:30 PM
Stonesprofessor Um....Exile postcards? I believe there were six....
10-18-02 05:32 PM
Stonesprofessor Speaking of GHS..anyone have a decent scan of that 'soup' pic??? Or maybe posted in an online album??? Have been searching for years to find it somewhere...
10-19-02 11:48 AM
F505 I have the pic but it is too large for my scanner....sorry!
10-19-02 02:28 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Mickjagger1963 wrote:
Just wondering is the LP cover of Some Girls WITH Lucille ball and Marilyn Monroe on it valuable and/or hard to find? I just traded my friend Hotel California for it. I don't know whether to save it and store it or play the hell out of it.

According to the last edition of Jerry Osborne's "Official Price guide to Records 2001" you album value is only $10 to $15 depending on the conditions.

10-19-02 02:32 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Stonesprofessor wrote:
Um....Exile postcards? I believe there were six....

The original edition Number 2900 1972 had 12 postcards the price according to the guide is $13 to $20 withthe 12 bonus postcards
10-19-02 04:19 PM
Mickjagger1963 Thanks Voodoo. Big help
10-19-02 04:47 PM
Nasty Habits Some Girls is still pretty common. I see them all the time.

Play it.
10-20-02 05:58 PM
F505 Yes, i don't think it is very difficult to get the original album....
10-20-02 06:16 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl That's why the value on the guide is only $10 to $15
10-21-02 04:00 AM
Mathijs Contrary to popular believe, the so-called 'banned sleeve" was never really banned, and therefore about 1.5 million of these sleeves are on the market. When SG came out, the Stones were threatened with legal actions if they didn't change the sleeve AND if they didn't take out the sentence "black girls just want to get fucked all night". Agreed was that no second edition or reprints of the original album sleeve would be made, but the lyrical problems were denied with "artistical freedom". So, not one sleeve was pulled back from the store, and therefore this version is not a collectors item. The original single of Beast of Burden WAS pulled back from the store after about a 1000 were sold, and is worth now around $1000.

Mathijs
10-21-02 04:14 PM
Mickjagger1963 that clears it up, thanks