ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Montauk, Long Island, NY - 1978 by Chris Makos
From the 40x20 Exhibition Now on world tour!!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: PIX OF KEITH ON HIS ASS @ ACC! Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-16-02 11:28 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

Shidoooooobee!

Apparently, Keith fell on his backside, and it took him 15 seconds to recover!

MORE PIX AT THE BOTTOM

1. Street Fighting Man
2. It's Only Rock n Roll
3. If You Can't Rock Me
4. Don't Stop
5. Rocks Off
6. Love in vain Ronnie Unbelievable
7. Let It Bleed Ronnie Slide
8. Monkey Man
9. Gimme Shelter
10. Tumbling Dice
Introductions
11. Thru and Thru - Keith was Great

Keith says Hey at least I'm on my feet

12. Happy
13. Start Me Up
14. Honky Tonk Women
15. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
16. Satisfaction
17. mannish boy
18. neighbors -- Keith messed up bad on the solo
19. brown sugar
20. Sympathy for the Devil -- started out bad Chuck ??
21. Jumping Jack Flash

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
10-17-02 12:57 AM
JGN Saw the show tonight, The boy's were not quite in a groove for most of the show, Keith ended up on his ass within 20 seconds of being on stage, many songs seemed out of tempo and others such as Rock's off were botched. Even Sympathy was started badly, However, I love this band and seeing them Fuck up is almost better, for you see how they piece themselves together for another frontal assault and usually but not always win!
Glenn
Looking forward to Friday!
10-17-02 01:06 AM
Nasty Habits Did they drop the soul cover?!?

10-17-02 01:31 AM
supergoatz No "Can't Turn Me Loose" tonight...

I was in the front row..directly in front of Keith for the whole show...

Sympathy was very weird...Daryl came in in the wrong key...looked bewildered..Keith was lookin at him too..giving him a bit of the stink-eye...then the guitar tech came out and told daruyl what key was happening...then Keith comes in and he's out of key too...my guess was that they didn't communicate what key they were gonna play it in and maybe played it a bit different to accomodate Mick..hard to say..but they finally got it together..

Keith was outstanding at several points tonight...Jumpin Jack Flash was great...

I thought the set list was killer...Keith wiped out...but had a good laugh about it all through Street Fightin Man...he looked right at me after the tune and gave me the roll of the eyes and a good chuckle...awesome...The Let It Bleed set was incredible...Ronnie was God-Like on the slide

Tonight was truly one of the most enjoyable concert experiences of my life...all I can say is WOW!!

Mick says Mother@#$%er a lot off mic...very cool to be that close...

latr
sg

10-17-02 06:48 AM
Moonisup seems that the Air canada centre has a bad influence on the stones!! I have listened to While the cold wind blows over toronto, taken from that same centre in 1999, and also in that show there where a lot of mistakes, Midnight rambler ohhhhhhh that one went bad!

Cool, I love when the stones make mistakes! It just shows that they aren't playing on Auto-pilot!

Rik tha wooden shoe
10-17-02 09:23 AM
CS Rolling Stones electrify fans at first of 2 Toronto shows on Forty Licks tour

ANGELA PACIENZA
Canadian Press

Thursday, October 17, 2002

TORONTO (CP) - The grizzled bad boys of rock 'n' roll brought their Forty Licks tour to Toronto on Wednesday, returning to the city where they spent most of their summer ironing out any wrinkles accumulated from their four-decade long career. The Rolling Stones - Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts - took to the stage with an aggressive rendition of Street Fightin' Man, a fitting start to a show celebrating their 40-year reign over the world's rock landscape.

"It's nice to be back here after our lengthy absence," said the jangly lead singer.

Jagger and Richards billed the 27-city, 40-show tour as their most elaborate show ever, having rehearsed more than 130 songs for a set list that changes nightly.

And with every shrieked lyric and sprint across the stage, Jagger proves he can still charm audiences.

Please see below for:

Some facts about the Rolling Stones

Some memorable dates in the career of the Rolling Stones

Toronto fans were enthralled by the band's irresistible, yet simple, stage show and blistering musical attack. The sleek steel stage was adorned only with a flat screen which often displayed close ups of the rockers.

A thin bridge from the large stage linked to a tiny set up in the centre of the floor seats.

The Stones followed their opening number with It's Only Rock 'N' Roll and If You Can't Rock Me. But the majority of the songs came from 1969's Let It Bleed, including Gimme Shelter, Monkey Man and Country Honk.

"You're having a good time, yes?" Jagger asked the delirious audience, most of whom seemed to be swaying their hips and flailing their arms alongside the notorious singer.

"It feels nice in here," he added comparing the large, airy Air Canada Centre with the small Palais Royale bar, where the Stones played a surprise gig before 1,000 fans at the end of the summer, presumably to warm up for the tour.

"It was the hottest place I've ever played," he said.

Jagger's hard earned macho rock star arrogance was matched only by Richards, who staggered on the stage strumming his guitar with a large grin on his face for most of the show.

"Hey Toronto, I don't know what to say to you guys. We're all here despite ourselves," Richards told the cheering crowd.

"I owe you love and affection."

And with that message, the guitarist launched into Thru and Thru from the band's 1994 album Voodoo Lounge.

"It's good to be back," said Richards, clad in a billowy white open shirt. "It's good to be anywhere. I've got a hell of a band."

He then commanded the crowd to "cheer up. I can fall over any time."

The Stones, who've played a pivotal role in defining rock 'n' roll, will follow up their sold-out Wednesday night performance at the Air Canada Centre with a concert at SkyDome on Friday night, where its expected Jagger with belt out Stones' staples like Jumpin' Jack Flash and Honky Tonk Woman.

In between the two shows, Jagger and Richards are scheduled to attend a private dinner at the home of Sir Andrew Burns, the British high commissioner to Canada.

The band spent several weeks in Toronto preparing for the tour, a tradition started in 1994. That year, the band took over a private school in the city's north-end to prepare for the Voodoo Lounge tour. In 1997 it was the Masonic Temple for the Bridges To Babylon tour. And this summer they practised in a variety of locations because the tour sees them play three different sized venues - stadiums, arenas and theatres.

Some fans believe the Forty Licks tour could be the final chance to catch the legendary rockers on stage. Jagger and Richards are 59 and drummer Charlie Watts is already 61.

"I've listened to them on my monophonic record player in the bush when I was 11 or 12," said Wade MacWilliam, 49, who drove 800 kilometres from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. to attend the concert.

"This could be their last tour," added his wife, Janis, holding a bag of goodies purchased at the show.

Others travelled even greater distances to ensure they didn't miss seeing the legendary rockers.

"They have the best music," said Tasha Gordon, 18, who flew to Toronto from Victoria for a three-day trip to catch the performance. Like many in the crowd, she was wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the Stones' famous red lips and tongue emblem.

"It was an amazing experience," added her friend Alanna Gammage, 18, also from Victoria.

"I was brought up with my dad telling me Keith Richards wasn't a man but a god. I guess it was only natural to follow his lead."

Despite their age and the lack of a No. 1 hit single in over a decade, the Rolling Stones are currently the hottest ticket in rock and one of the few acts still able to fill stadiums.

Most of the 70,000 tickets for the two Toronto shows were sold, but there were still some $300 tickets available for the Friday night show. When tallied, the two shows add up to about $6 million from the pockets of Toronto concert goers.

Industry observers say the tour could be the biggest money-maker of the year. The Stones 1994 Voodoo Lounge tour grossed an industry record of $124 million US. The Bridges to Babylon tour made $66.7 million.

The Licks tour will hit Montreal on Jan. 8.

Some facts about the Rolling Stones:

Formed: 1962, London.

Members: Mick Jagger, 59, vocals; Keith Richards, 59, guitar; Charlie Watts, 61, drums; Ron Wood, 55, guitar. Bass player for tour, Darryl Jones (replacing original member Bill Wyman, who quit band in 1993)

Forty Licks Tour: Stones' 14th tour in North America, celebrates band's 40th anniversary.

Shows: Wednesday arena show at the Air Canada Centre, Friday stadium show at SkyDome.

Attendance: Approximately 80,000 tickets sold, costing between $50 and $350 each.

Some memorable dates in the career of the Rolling Stones, who brought their Forty Licks tour to Toronto on Wednesday:

1962 - Brian Jones, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards begin performing as Rollin' Stones, named after Muddy Waters tune Rollin' Stone Blues.

1963 - Bass player Bill Wyman and drummer Charlie Watts join the band, name changed to Rolling Stones.

June 8, 1969 - Jones leaves the band. Mick Taylor replaces him on guitar.

July 3, 1969 - Jones dies.

Dec. 14, 1974 - Taylor announces he is leaving the band.

April 14, 1975 - Jagger confirms Ron Wood will accompany the Stones on North and South American tour. He later becomes a permanent member.

Feb. 27, 1977 - Richards arrested for possession of heroin in Toronto. Later released to undergo addiction therapy.

Oct. 23, 1978 - Richards given one year probation, ordered to perform benefit concert.

January 1993 - Wyman announces he is quitting the group.

May 1994 The Stones announce Voodoo Lounge tour. Bass player Darryl Jones joins band for the tour.

Sept. 30, 1997 - Stones release Bridges to Babylon, their 23rd studio album.

June 14, 2002 - Queen announces Jagger's knighthood, for his services to music.

May 7, 2002 - Jagger, Richards and Watts travel in a yellow blimp painted with big red lips to announce Forty Licks tour.

Oct. 1, 2002 - Release Forty Licks retrospective CD which contains 36 classic hits and four new tracks.

� Copyright 2002 The Canadian Press
10-17-02 10:30 AM
Zaravytch Does anyone know who the opening act for the 10-16-02 TO show was? They were a brother-sister duo, but i missed the name of the band... any info is much appreciated. thx!
10-17-02 10:36 AM
midnightmagic Please change songs 2,13, 14 , 19 we know how these go. They even played these songs in the clubs, etc. Can't complain about the other great stuff we have heard, I am just bored with those warhorses.
10-17-02 11:26 AM
Moonisup does anyone have the photo of keith on his ass?
10-17-02 11:41 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Zaravytch wrote:
Does anyone know who the opening act for the 10-16-02 TO show was? They were a brother-sister duo, but i missed the name of the band... any info is much appreciated. thx!

That was the White Stripes.

I am very curious -- anyone who was at the show -- how did they sound? How did it go over?

10-17-02 11:45 AM
The Scribe The opening band was White Stripes. They played for almost 45 minutes.
10-17-02 11:51 AM
steel driving hammer Keith fell?

Watch Leno have a hey day.

10-17-02 11:55 AM
Moonisup oh yeah, all the so called funny guys will bash them again, suckers
10-17-02 12:31 PM
Mickjagger1963 whats funny about that article is that they dont mention he fell, but put in a Keith quote about it. If i didnt hear he fell that quote would make no sense, lol, and yeah, does ne1 have a pic?
10-17-02 01:01 PM
CS GIG RUMOURS

And as always when Mick and the boys are in Toronto, rumours were flying that they'd do a downtown club gig tonight

THEY'RE GREAT!
Fans worship at Stones altar

By BRETT CLARKSON, TORONTO SUN

Rolling Stones fans don't just have sympathy for these old devils, they've got reverence for them.

"They're (bleeping) awesome," said Derek Mahoney in true Ozzy Osbourne fashion. His family of eight had just arrived from Halifax to see the show.

"Some people go to Disney World, we go to Rolling Stones concerts," laughed Derek's mom, Marilyn Mahoney.

Even before the Exile on Bay St. got started, fans from all over were jumpin' like Jack Flash -- braving a chilly rain and "daunting" ticket prices, as one fan put it, before last night's Air Canada Centre stop on the Licks Tour.

Scalpers were reporting weaker sales, but one seller named Steve said he hawked a pair for $1,000.

Phillippe Zeller, a 38-year-old Montrealer who bears an uncanny resemblance to the patron saint of hard living himself, Keith Richards, has seen every gig since Licks started up in Boston Sept. 3. "Tonight's going to be my 55th or 56th time seeing them," Zeller said.

When asked if he ever gets bored, he just struck a Keith-like pose and asked, "Do I look like I'm getting bored?"

"They play better, they sound better, they look better," added fan Tony Mitchell.

"But the Rolling Stones were never about that -- we liked them when they were drugged out and smoking and the sound was (bad)," he said.

GIG RUMOURS

And as always when Mick and the boys are in Toronto, rumours were flying that they'd do a downtown club gig tonight.

Responding to a suggestion that perhaps the band should consider buying homes in Toronto -- this being their adopted pre-tour practice spot -- fan Neil Warburton stumbled on to an interesting suggestion.

"So, do you think they should donate some money to the city and get the Gardiner fixed or something, and name it The Rolling Stones Expressway?"
10-17-02 07:50 PM
Packet i saw em lats night for the first time *EVER*...
dear god, i'm a changed man... \m/
cant wait till friday to see em again at the skydome...

(looking for montreal tickets now)
10-17-02 10:59 PM
John Wood I do have a picture of Keith on his ass. It was the first photo I took of the show, and almost didn't take one as his fall caught me off gaurd as it happened so fast and so early in the show. I'm not sure how to get photo's posted as I suck with computers. Maybe on Friday or Saturday I will get my wife to help. I took about 70 photos (about 20 good ones) at the show. I was 3rd row floors Keith's side and also got to the b-stage and had some good shots there also.
10-17-02 11:31 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl John I would sell my soul to post the photo as a header, with full credits to you. Just e-mail it to me at [email protected] and it will be up! Send as many as you want!
10-18-02 12:00 AM
Zaravytch
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

That was the White Stripes.

I am very curious -- anyone who was at the show -- how did they sound? How did it go over?

For a 2 piece band I thought they sounded quite good. I'd never heard of them before, but I was extremely impressed with their performance. Impressed enough to go out and buy an album... They covered Bob Dylan's "Love Sick" and, as a huge Dylan fan, I thought it was quite impressive.

Overall, however, it didn't go over very well at all, unfortunately. The 'older' (no offence intended) crowd definitely wasn't into it. They only really got a response from the late teen to late twenty-something audience - but that response was fairly positive. Personally, I thought they were really good, and quite an interesting choice for an opening act for the Stones. Glad to see the Stones are giving such great opportunities to new, young acts.
10-18-02 02:33 AM
FotiniD So how did Keith actually fall? Did he trip on something or what? And how did the rest of the Stones react to that? I can only imagine Ronnie's face!

So, it wasn't Hamburg and it wasn't a hamburger but that didn't stop Keith from falling on his back
10-19-02 01:57 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Now John has sent me some great pix, including two of Keith on his ass at the Air Canada Centre

Thanks John... Johnny "B" Wood
10-19-02 02:09 PM
Mickjagger1963 hilarious pics, thanks
10-19-02 02:11 PM
moy thanks john, you made my weekend lol
10-19-02 02:16 PM
Child of the Moon Keith on his ass... this really is classic. It'll go down for a long time to come in Stones history, I think, just to show how terribly cool the guy really is.

As for the White Stripes, I'm surprised as to how many people here haven't heard of them. I really enjoy their music - sort of a coked-up David Bowie meets Sex Pistols meets a whole lot of other stuff. The two members of the band, Jack and Meg White are actually not brother and sister; they're ex-husband and wife. They cite two of their greatest musical heroes as Blind Willie McTell (Jack) and Loretta Lynn (Meg).

All in all, excellent stuff. Pick up the White Blood Cells album as soon as you can, for those who don't have it yet.

[Edited by Child of the Moon]
10-19-02 02:36 PM
Moonisup hhaahah this is reallllllllllllll cool. I love those things hahaah lol!

Anyone noticed he uses a different guitar for SFM! They same he used for Tumbling dice during the 1994-95 tour
[Edited by Moonisup]
10-19-02 02:39 PM
Tom Hey John that was the coolest pix from the whole tour and rehearsals so far, do you have them in a better resolution? I don't mean they are not good, I just was to print them.
10-19-02 04:59 PM
John Wood The pictures were not taken with a digital camera but they are much clearer than they appear here. I have quite a few really good pics from the ACC and few from the Skydome last night.
10-19-02 05:23 PM
beer
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:

As for the White Stripes, I'm surprised as to how many people here haven't heard of them. I really enjoy their music - sort of a coked-up David Bowie meets Sex Pistols meets a whole lot of other stuff. The two members of the band, Jack and Meg White are actually not brother and sister; they're ex-husband and wife. They cite two of their greatest musical heroes as Blind Willie McTell (Jack) and Loretta Lynn (Meg).

All in all, excellent stuff. Pick up the White Blood Cells album as soon as you can, for those who don't have it yet.

[Edited by Child of the Moon]

The White Stripes are the musical guest on Saturday Night Live tonight. Gonna watch fer sure.
10-19-02 07:17 PM
steel driving hammer
Hey Beer!!!

Hey B e e r!!!!!!

H e y B e e r!!!!!!!!!

Is the GDGBD open G Sir?

If so, is the 1st G, supposed to be the 2nd string?
Because the first one is left off?
I have a BEAUtiful Tele and it's tuned as GDGDBE.
But it doesn't sound too well.

Please, any advice on the thickness of the last GBD chords would be appreciated.
Like on this months cover of The Rolling Stone w/ Keith.
The bottom strings are supposed to be thinner but they look thick.

Please, I'll buy you Beer.
10-19-02 07:33 PM
beer ya just remove the thick E string, then tune to GDGBD. It's 5 string open G. I think the strings on Keith's guitar look thick cuz he plays heavy gauge Ernie Ball strings.
Brown Sugar is played in open G. and quite a few others are too, like Tumblin Dice, Happy etc, usually with a capo on the fourth fret.
Page: 1 2