ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thank so much Box!
Long John Baldry and Mick Taylor - Lone Star Roadhouse, NYC April 5, 1988
© 1988 Arjem Boxem Thanks Box for sharing it!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Dirty Work virgin no more Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 18th, 2005 03:41 PM
Egbert I done gone and did it - finally got around to completing my Stones non-boot collection. While I can't say Dirty Work compares to anything the Stones put out pre-1980, for me it's on par with Undercover and slightly better than Steel Wheels. Favorites are One Hit, Too Rude, Dirty Work, Had It With You, and Sleep Tonight. Atrocious artwork though. Anyone else have any thoughts/feelings about this little gem to share? If not, I understand.
[Edited by Egbert]
October 18th, 2005 03:52 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Egbert wrote:
Favorites are One Hit, Too Rude, Dirty Work, Had It With You, and Sleep Tonight.

those are great songs!! Fight is a great JJFlash-style rocker as well!

guitars are loud and raunchy on Dirty Work. That alone makes it cool.

One Hit is the most overlooked song in there catalog.
Had It With You could fit on ANY of their records.
and Sleep is both haunting and beautiful at the same time. And it sounds best when you PLAY IT LOUD. One of Keef's finest.

it gets a bad rap. Its not the albatross that people make it out to be. There's some good stuff on there.... just know when to keep your finger on the skip button
October 18th, 2005 06:23 PM
Lethargy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

those are great songs!! Fight is a great JJFlash-style rocker as well!

guitars are loud and raunchy on Dirty Work. That alone makes it cool.

One Hit is the most overlooked song in there catalog.
Had It With You could fit on ANY of their records.
and Sleep is both haunting and beautiful at the same time. And it sounds best when you PLAY IT LOUD. One of Keef's finest.

it gets a bad rap. Its not the albatross that people make it out to be. There's some good stuff on there.... just know when to keep your finger on the skip button

Sway is so right. The filler on DW is so bad that it ruins the experience of listening to the whole album from start to finish. But One Hit is in the top ten post-Tattoo songs! And Fight, Had It With You, Sleep, Harlem Shuffle, and the jumbled rauncy mess Hold Back are great. Burn yourself an EP-length 'best of dirty work' and you have yourself a great 20 minutes of Stones!
October 18th, 2005 06:42 PM
BILL PERKS FUCKIN ROCKS!!!THE ANGST,RAW GUITARS,NO STUDIO BULLSHIT PRODUCTION..ROCK N ROLL AT ITS FINEST IN 1986.TO DENIGRADE IT IS TO SULLY THE MEMORY OF STU.
October 18th, 2005 07:06 PM
ListenToTheLion It's a disgrace the Stones have released this pile of shit
October 18th, 2005 07:16 PM
stonedinaustralia i love it as well - it's in my car CD player right now - as well as the tracks mentioned above i also rate the title track as classic stones - what many consider filler "back to zero" "hold back" "winning ugly" (which is how i considered them on release)i have come to like over the years- even the '80s sounding keyboard sounds which at first i thought a bit dumb have held up well (if not actually improved) over time

"find some dumb-ass to do it all for free" - brilliant!!
October 18th, 2005 10:29 PM
Poison Dart 1/ One Hit to the Body- Great underrated song. Awesome guitar work. One of the most underrated songs in the Stones canon

2/ Fight- A nasty rocker

3/ Harlem Shuffle - Decent pop song. But not good enough to be a lead single from a Stones record.

4/ Hold Back- 80's sounding filler

5/ Too Rude- Nice sloppy Keith/Ron tune. But it is overproduced.

6/ Winning Ugly- There was a great song hidden in here. If it didn't come out in the 80's (shitty production) it could have been quite good. Instead it's very mediocre

7/ Back to Zero- This song is hands down the worst song the Stones have ever released. Please spare us the anti nuclear statement set to an 80's dance beat.

8/ Dirty Work- Again a victim of the 80's. If this song was released in a different era (say the Some Girls era) it could have been a classic. Instead it just misses the mark.

9/ Had it with You- Very solid rocker with some nasty lyrics and Mick on harp. Good stuff

10/ Sleep Tonight- The best song on the record. Great Keith ballad that never gets played in concert.

If this mean spirited (that's a good thing) album had not been released in the 80's it could have been quite good. But as it is it is simply way to overproduced and sounds like it was made by 80's stars like Wang Chung or Duran Duran than the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

October 18th, 2005 11:28 PM
CraigP Great album, except for a few bad apples.
October 18th, 2005 11:37 PM
Soldatti About half of the album is great, but the other half is 80's music shit. For the 1986 standard, it's a pretty good record.
October 19th, 2005 02:23 AM
cc This was the first stones album I old enough to get for myself when it came out. So of course I listened to it probably a hundred times.

I think it has a nasty, unfriendly vibe that most stones fans didn't recognize, who were hoping for more late 60s grandeur. Taken for what it is, it's a very good album.

cc
October 19th, 2005 06:02 AM
Gazza Jimmy Page's guitar solos on "One Hit" are the highlight of the album - along with the haunting vocals (both Keith's lead vocals and the backing vocals) on "Sleep tonight"

"Fight" is a potentially excellent song ruined by a shitty drum sound.

The production and mix on the whole album is generally a mess. Especially on the drumming. Ugh. the fact that the guitars are upfront on it is offset by the horrible drum sound and dated 80's production.

The sound on the outtakes is actually better, and some of them are better than what was released (however as most feature Keith on vocals, you would have had an album with Mick singing on about half of the songs. Which wouldn't really have made sense)

Hold Back is quite possibly the most unlistenable piece of crap the Stones have ever recorded. However, it has a decent lyric which gets totally lost as the band thrash around for a few minutes in a vain search for a melody.

There are a couple of gems (One Hit, Sleep), three or four songs that are good enough and the rest is, by Stones standards, definitely subpar.

But its still better than Satanic Majesties
[Edited by Gazza]
October 19th, 2005 08:12 AM
Ronnie Richards Dirty Work is indeed underrated, but back to zero & winning ugly are the two most horrible "songs" the stones have ever released
October 19th, 2005 08:42 AM
egon would have been a great EP
October 19th, 2005 10:04 AM
Nasty Habits The most honest record the Stones have made since Some Girls. It's so fascinating and intense it's frightening - even the "bad" songs are such clashes of giants that they add to the album's intentional and unintentional content.

The fact that Jagger STOLE the idea of covering Harlem Shuffle from worshipping whipping boy Pete Townshend only adds to the general sense of decay, and I don't care what anybody says, it's a great version, very much in keeping w/Stones tradition and it's a goddam shame Dirty Work is the last album with cover songs on it.

And while Winning Ugly and Back to Zero are good songs ultimately done in by their production, Hold Back simply burns - its atonality and halfrapped lyrics sounding like something out of the early 80s No-Wave. Plenty of people I know can't listen to Sister Ray either.

I'll put the "Dirty Work/Had It With You/Sleep Tonight/Key to the Highway coda" run up against any post-Exile Stones album for emotional and human reality. Not to mention the rocks.

Do it do it do it do it do it do it!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
October 19th, 2005 04:34 PM
Joey
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
It's a disgrace the Stones have released this pile of shit

You SHALL be greeted !!!!!

|
|
|
|
|
V
October 19th, 2005 04:38 PM
pdog
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
Dirty Work is indeed underrated, but back to zero & winning ugly are the two most horrible "songs" the stones have ever released

The only bad songs of the bunch, still The Stones... If you take Undercover and Dirty Work minus these two songs, it will fit on one CD-r and it's a great listen.
October 19th, 2005 05:29 PM
Joey " The fact that Jagger STOLE the idea of covering Harlem Shuffle from worshipping whipping boy Pete Townshend only adds to the general sense of decay ..... "

October 19th, 2005 05:55 PM
blackandblue This album should be buried deep in the ground.
October 19th, 2005 09:10 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:
There are a couple of gems (One Hit, Sleep), three or four songs that are good enough and the rest is, by Stones standards, definitely subpar.

But its still better than Satanic Majesties
[Edited by Gazza]

Really, is there any other band on the planet that, for better or worse, has albums as wildly different as Satanic Majesties and Dirty Work in its catalog? Sure, there was an interim of almost 20 years there, but still - pretty staggering when you think about it.
October 19th, 2005 09:47 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Really, is there any other band on the planet that, for better or worse, has albums as wildly different as Satanic Majesties and Dirty Work in its catalog? Sure, there was an interim of almost 20 years there, but still - pretty staggering when you think about it.

good point, i agree
October 19th, 2005 10:03 PM
sammy davis jr. Dirty Work 'aint all that bad.....I have great memories of driving to gigs with "Had It With You" blaring out of the speakers. It does have some good gritty guitar work.
October 19th, 2005 10:17 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Dirty Work 'aint all that bad.....I have great memories of driving to gigs with "Had It With You" blaring out of the speakers. It does have some good gritty guitar work.

AMEN!!!HOLD BACK ROCKS!!
October 19th, 2005 10:20 PM
voodoopug
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

AMEN!!!HOLD BACK ROCKS!!

I disagree with you, but do so with respect, as you also understand the responsibilities of raising happy pugs
October 19th, 2005 10:23 PM
Bob Tamp yes it might be stones shit, but I will easily take it over Undercover any day.
October 20th, 2005 03:29 AM
Prodigal Son I'm gonna talk to my dad about some site he downloads music off of (paid of course) so I can get Dirty Work minus "Back to Zero" and "Winning Ugly." Hearing samples of the songs convinced me those two songs are downright crappy. I find "Hold Back" to be underrated. It's a very angry and agressive song. The Stones sound like they were on tour in 73 all over again at times. At its best, Dirty Work is nearly as good as ABB and Voodoo Lounge, better than Steel Wheels and B2B, on par with Emotional Rescue and kicks Undercover's ass, IMO. But at its worst, yech. Had they added in some other great unreleased stuff and took out thne aformentioned tracks, plus fix the lousy 80s drums, and you've got a great album.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
October 20th, 2005 03:48 AM
Egbert
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
I'm gonna talk to my dad about some site he downloads music off of (paid of course) so I can get Dirty Work minus "Back to Zero" and "Winning Ugly." Hearing samples of the songs convinced me those two songs are downright crappy. I find "Hold Back" to be underrated. It's a very angry and agressive song. The Stones sound like they were on tour in 73 all over again at times. At its best, Dirty Work is nearly as good as ABB and Voodoo Lounge, better than Steel Wheels and B2B, on par with Emotional Rescue and kicks Undercover's ass, IMO. But at its worst, yech. Had they added in some other great unreleased stuff and took out thne aformentioned tracks, plus fix the lousy 80s drums, and you've got a great album.

Nailed it. I would still rate DW about on par with Undercover - but only due to the unfortunate inclusion of BTZ & WU. Love the guitar at the end of Hold Back.
October 20th, 2005 07:58 AM
silkcut1978 funny - I don't listen to DW anymore - but if there's exactly one song which ever made me want to dance (and I hate dancing) then it was "Winning Ugly". I always loved that song while I never liked Back To Zero, Hold Back or even Sleep Tonight - crappy tunes. So my EP includes One Hit, Fight, Winning Ugly and Had It With You...
October 20th, 2005 10:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
silkcut1978 wrote:
funny - I don't listen to DW anymore - but if there's exactly one song which ever made me want to dance (and I hate dancing) then it was "Winning Ugly". I always loved that song while I never liked Back To Zero, Hold Back or even Sleep Tonight - crappy tunes. So my EP includes One Hit, Fight, Winning Ugly and Had It With You...

"our" outtakes tape was better, I'm sure you'd agree!
October 20th, 2005 11:06 AM
Joey " Really, is there any other band on the planet that, for better or worse, has albums as wildly different as Satanic Majesties and Dirty Work in its catalog? Sure, there was an interim of almost 20 years there, but still - pretty staggering when you think about it. "

You raise an interesting and saliant point my deceased law practicing , altamont organizing , California loving ..........................*************************** END TRANSMISSION ******************************

[Edited by Joey]
October 20th, 2005 11:42 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Really, is there any other band on the planet that, for better or worse, has albums as wildly different as Satanic Majesties and Dirty Work in its catalog? Sure, there was an interim of almost 20 years there, but still - pretty staggering when you think about it. "

You raise an interesting and saliant point my deceased law practicing , altamont organizing , California loving ..........................*************************** END TRANSMISSION ******************************

[Edited by Joey]

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)