ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thank so much Box!
Long John Baldry and Mick Taylor - Lone Star Roadhouse, NYC April 5, 1988
© 1988 Arjem Boxem Thanks Box for sharing it!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A contentious Question? Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 17th, 2005 08:56 PM
speedfreakjive Is anyone out there of the opinion that Sticky Fingers is as good, if not better than Exile? The general concensus seems to be that Exile is better, but why? When you consider the overall quality and consistency of each song on SF, there's no filler like Shake Your Hips and Stop Breaking Down, and its recorded in better quality. And IMO there's more Stones classics on it (Bitch, Sway, Dead Flowers). Just cos its shorter, it don't mean its not as good. I'll probs get slated for this, but f**k it!

P.S, it contains The Stones' 2nd best tune, Brown Sugar
October 17th, 2005 09:18 PM
Neocon It's hard to pin down, but it's about the feel of Exile. Give it time. It seems to hold up better.

"You Got to Move" is an inferior cousin to "back of My Hand," and not as good as the covers on Exile/ "Bitch," is a more electric guitar version of Motown song like "Get Ready" and "Sister Morphine" has always been a sing I figured I should like, but never realy could like. "Dead Flowers," "Brown Sugar," "Moonlight Mile," and "Wild Horses" are great stuff for sure. All in my humble opinion.
October 17th, 2005 09:30 PM
speedfreakjive I'm sorry but Back Of My Hand is not as good as You Gotta Move, to illustrate, is Mick Jagger a better guitarist than Mick Taylor? er no. But I see your point, but i've owned both albums for 6 years, and i just reckon their as good as eachother, in a way. I hear the feel on Exile, but u not reckon that Jaggers vocals are better on SF?
October 17th, 2005 09:34 PM
winter Bengar's Banquet is my favorite. Dear Doctor, Parachute Women, Jig Saw Puzzle, Factory Girl, No Expactions, Salt of the Earth, coupled with the War Horses Sympathy and Street Fighting Man (and the Semi-War Horse - Stray Cat Blues), to me it doesn't get any better than this.

If I had to rank the big 4, it would be as follows:

1. Beggar's
2. Exile
3. Sticky Fingers (although Moonlight Mile is one of my top 5 Stones songs)
4. Let it Bleed

While I'm at it, the top two songs that the Stones have never played live, but should are:

1. Winter
2. Dear Doctor

wintah
October 17th, 2005 09:39 PM
pavlovs dog
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Is anyone out there of the opinion that Sticky Fingers is as good, if not better than Exile? The general concensus seems to be that Exile is better, but why? When you consider the overall quality and consistency of each song on SF, there's no filler like Shake Your Hips and Stop Breaking Down, and its recorded in better quality. And IMO there's more Stones classics on it (Bitch, Sway, Dead Flowers). Just cos its shorter, it don't mean its not as good. I'll probs get slated for this, but f**k it!

P.S, it contains The Stones' 2nd best tune, Brown Sugar

A Contentious Question but an excellent one. No doubt Sticky Fingers is a masterpiece, a real gem and in my opinion a very close second to Exile. I think Exile is better because it is a more ambitious and more cohesive album. Even though the Stones themselves said each side was supposed to be listened to separately each of those 'sides' has a thematio or musical unity. While no individual song off of Exile can compare to Brown Sugar or Bitch the whole sweep of Exile is like a giant mural whereas Sticky Fingers is like a perfect portrait or still life. An experienced Exile listener knows from the 1st few notes of Rocks Off that a sweet journey is about to begin and when the the beginning riff of Soul Survivor announces that the journey is nearing an end a sense of passage, redemption and purification washes one's soul.
October 17th, 2005 09:44 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
winter wrote:
Bengar's Banquet is my favorite. Dear Doctor, Parachute Women, Jig Saw Puzzle, Factory Girl, No Expactions, Salt of the Earth, coupled with the War Horses Sympathy and Street Fighting Man (and the Semi-War Horse - Stray Cat Blues), to me it doesn't get any better than this.

If I had to rank the big 4, it would be as follows:

1. Beggar's
2. Exile
3. Sticky Fingers (although Moonlight Mile is one of my top 5 Stones songs)
4. Let it Bleed

While I'm at it, the top two songs that the Stones have never played live, but should are:

1. Winter
2. Dear Doctor

wintah

Dear Doctor is good. Winter; what a vocal by Jagger. I reckon Winter's twin is Tops off Tattoo You. Aye, I wish they'd play Stray Cat more. Why the F**K don't Keith just play All About You or something? I'm not sure thats ever been played live?

I'd say Some Girls is better than Beggars tho, its at my no.5, joint with Bridges 2 Babylon, no,, only messin, joint with Goats Head Soup.
October 17th, 2005 09:46 PM
pdog Exile is the greatest creation in mankinds history. YES! It is better than the pyramids and philly cheesesteaks... It's great to explore space, Exile is a journey into your own soul.
October 17th, 2005 09:47 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
pavlovs dog wrote:

A Contentious Question but an excellent one. No doubt Sticky Fingers is a masterpiece, a real gem and in my opinion a very close second to Exile. I think Exile is better because it is a more ambitious and more cohesive album. Even though the Stones themselves said each side was supposed to be listened to separately each of those 'sides' has a thematio or musical unity. While no individual song off of Exile can compare to Brown Sugar or Bitch the whole sweep of Exile is like a giant mural whereas Sticky Fingers is like a perfect portrait or still life. An experienced Exile listener knows from the 1st few notes of Rocks Off that a sweet journey is about to begin and when the the beginning riff of Soul Survivor announces that the journey is nearing an end a sense of passage, redemption and purification washes one's soul.

I'm afraid you've probably hit the nail on the head there!
but "I feel a little fragile", ha ha
October 17th, 2005 09:57 PM
winter
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Dear Doctor is good. Winter; what a vocal by Jagger. I reckon Winter's twin is Tops off Tattoo You. Aye, I wish they'd play Stray Cat more. Why the F**K don't Keith just play All About You or something? I'm not sure thats ever been played live?

I'd say Some Girls is better than Beggars tho, its at my no.5, joint with Bridges 2 Babylon, no,, only messin, joint with Goats Head Soup.

All About You. LOVE THIS SONG! The last line always gets me. Absolutely beautiful. I dig GHS, but don't rank it with Some Girls or Beggar's. It's just personal preference. For the longest time, I swore by Exile, and then one day (actually when I bought the remasters), Beggar's just got me. Objectively speaking, Exile is an epic masterpiece, but for the past few years, I have been digging Beggar's more.

That is one of the many great things about this band, hell I listened to VL for the first time in years, and I really dug songs that I didn't dig before. Alway new nuggets to discover, or re-discover.

Some other never been played's that I'd like to hear live:

2000 Man
Sitting on a Fence
Coming Down Again
Mona
High N Dry

wintah
October 17th, 2005 10:06 PM
pavlovs dog
quote:
pdog wrote:
Exile is the greatest creation in mankinds history. YES! It is better than the pyramids and philly cheesesteaks... It's great to explore space, Exile is a journey into your own soul.

If I understand you correctly!

greatest creation in mankind's history:

1. Exile On Main Street
2. The Ancient Pyramids of Egypt
3. Philly Cheesesteaks

I think you might have #2 & #3 backwards

October 17th, 2005 10:17 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
winter wrote:

All About You. LOVE THIS SONG! The last line always gets me. Absolutely beautiful. I dig GHS, but don't rank it with Some Girls or Beggar's. It's just personal preference. For the longest time, I swore by Exile, and then one day (actually when I bought the remasters), Beggar's just got me. Objectively speaking, Exile is an epic masterpiece, but for the past few years, I have been digging Beggar's more.

That is one of the many great things about this band, hell I listened to VL for the first time in years, and I really dug songs that I didn't dig before. Alway new nuggets to discover, or re-discover.

Some other never been played's that I'd like to hear live:

2000 Man
Sitting on a Fence
Coming Down Again
Mona
High N Dry

wintah

Yeah, I know what you mean. For me its been Emotional Rescue recently. Dance Pt 1 for me is in Miss You's league, and Little Indian Girl, love the acoustic guitar on that one. Its so crap of them to maintain with YGMR, when they've got stuff like Winter and Soul Survivor in the vaults.
October 17th, 2005 10:52 PM
JuanTCB The way I look at it, Sticky is the greatest "Mick" album and Exile is the best "Keith" album. I've never heard Mick sing better than he did on Sticky (he was at his most Mick-eriffic then, w/o resorting to self-parody) and no album in the history of mankind has the atmostphere that Exile does - vague, drawn out, stoned, drunk, smoky, nitty, gritty, murky, muddy, passionate . . .

That said, they're both masterpieces. Looking at it objectively, I'd say Sticky takes the prize. It's more consistently solid, the songs are better, and the production/sound is stunning. Also, it's the most self-assured album I've ever heard.

But screw objectivity - I'm a guitar player (started out on a tennis racket pretending I was Keith), Exile was released the day I was born, and the sunshine bores the daylight out of me.

"Keith" wins this one.
October 17th, 2005 11:49 PM
Stonesthrow SFJ-- Sticky Fingers is absolutely better than Exile.
October 17th, 2005 11:49 PM
pdog
quote:
pavlovs dog wrote:

If I understand you correctly!

greatest creation in mankind's history:

1. Exile On Main Street
2. The Ancient Pyramids of Egypt
3. Philly Cheesesteaks

I think you might have #2 & #3 backwards

My bad!
October 18th, 2005 12:17 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
JuanTCB wrote:
The way I look at it, Sticky is the greatest "Mick" album and Exile is the best "Keith" album. I've never heard Mick sing better than he did on Sticky (he was at his most Mick-eriffic then, w/o resorting to self-parody) and no album in the history of mankind has the atmostphere that Exile does - vague, drawn out, stoned, drunk, smoky, nitty, gritty, murky, muddy, passionate . . .

That said, they're both masterpieces. Looking at it objectively, I'd say Sticky takes the prize. It's more consistently solid, the songs are better, and the production/sound is stunning. Also, it's the most self-assured album I've ever heard.

But screw objectivity - I'm a guitar player (started out on a tennis racket pretending I was Keith), Exile was released the day I was born, and the sunshine bores the daylight out of me.

"Keith" wins this one.

I agree, but thats the problem. I like Mick just as much as Keith, so its gotta be a draw.
October 18th, 2005 12:41 AM
JuanTCB Nothing wrong with a draw in this case! Two sides of the same coin . . .
October 18th, 2005 12:35 PM
texile the myth that exile is all keith is blasphemous....
and what would all those great grooves be without those dark, cryptic and hypnotic voocals and lyrics?
exile, like some girls, is jagger's finest achievements.
i'd put some girls above beggars too....
October 18th, 2005 01:58 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
texile wrote:
the myth that exile is all keith is blasphemous....
and what would all those great grooves be without those dark, cryptic and hypnotic voocals and lyrics?
exile, like some girls, is jagger's finest achievements.
i'd put some girls above beggars too....

Indeed, and look no further than Shine A Light for the finest Stones' sans Keith song.
October 18th, 2005 02:02 PM
Neocon They are both victories for both those albums. They had plenty to do with both.

Oh yea, my favoite Stones song of all time is "Rocks Off."
October 18th, 2005 02:28 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Neocon wrote:
They are both victories for both those albums. They had plenty to do with both.

Oh yea, my favoite Stones song of all time is "Rocks Off."

What, cos its the name of this website?
October 18th, 2005 04:03 PM
pavlovs dog
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Indeed, and look no further than Shine A Light for the finest Stones' sans Keith song.

Amen

may the good lord shine alight on you!
make every song your favorite tune!

I'll be cremated to that song
October 18th, 2005 04:09 PM
Egbert I'll be cremated to Play With Fire
October 18th, 2005 04:20 PM
FPM C10 Cool thread - don't know who said what, but "All About You" was played beautifully on the B2B tour. I really didn't like it much until I heard it live, and then I fell in love with it.

JuanTCB - you were actually born the day Exile was released? I have a friend in Cleveland who wants to adopt you.

"Stop Breaking Down" and "Hip Shake" are FILLER? Wha? They are ESSENTIAL. ESSENTIAL I SAY! The Stones covering Robert Johnson and Slim Harpo is NOT filler, especially in the context of Exile. I used to think "Just Wanna See His Face" and "Sweet Black Angel" were filler, but now I know - there is NO filler on Exile.

And whoever said Some Girls is better than Beggar's Banquet - you are TRIPPING.

Hey, it's 4:20 - smoke em if ya got em.
[Edited by FPM C10]
October 18th, 2005 04:28 PM
Gimme Shelter Even though I love every album the Stones have put out, Let It Bleed is my favorite.
October 18th, 2005 04:37 PM
Neocon Yea, I rate Let it Bleed pretty high:

My top four:

Exile
Let it Bleed
Sticky Fingers
A Bigger Bang
Undercover
Some Girls

I don't rate Beggar's banquet that high because I only like 3 songs a lot. Those 3 Sympathy, Street Fighting Man, and Stray Cat Blues. No Expectations is pretty decent. I don't much care for the rest. Just my humble opinion. Jig saw Puzzle, Dear Doctor, Salt of the Earth, Parachute Women do sort of get on my nerves. Let me put on my protective gear now. Okay start firing.
October 18th, 2005 04:39 PM
Neocon top 6.
October 18th, 2005 04:45 PM
JuanTCB Of course Exile isn't all Keith, but it just has more of a Keith vibe to it. Plus, given that Mick spent a lot of the sessions dealing with pregnant Bianca in Paris and the fact that they made the bulk of it in Keith's basement, it's safe to say that Keith had a bigger hand in overseeing the album than Mick did.

And FPM C10 - yes, Exile and I were released on the same day. According to the old official site, that is - they had it listed as 4/12/72. Now I keep reading that Exile came out on 5/12 - that said, I choose to believe the old version!

Great to finally be posting here - I've been lurking for years.
October 18th, 2005 04:47 PM
Egbert My Top 6 would be:

Exile
Bleed
Beggars
Some Girls
Tattoo You
October 18th, 2005 05:58 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Cool thread - don't know who said what, but "All About You" was played beautifully on the B2B tour. I really didn't like it much until I heard it live, and then I fell in love with it.

JuanTCB - you were actually born the day Exile was released? I have a friend in Cleveland who wants to adopt you.

"Stop Breaking Down" and "Hip Shake" are FILLER? Wha? They are ESSENTIAL. ESSENTIAL I SAY! The Stones covering Robert Johnson and Slim Harpo is NOT filler, especially in the context of Exile. I used to think "Just Wanna See His Face" and "Sweet Black Angel" were filler, but now I know - there is NO filler on Exile.

And whoever said Some Girls is better than Beggar's Banquet - you are TRIPPING.

Hey, it's 4:20 - smoke em if ya got em.
[Edited by FPM C10]

I know there not filler (Stop Breaking Down & Hip Shake), I was just saying that to get some reaction. Some Girls IS better than Beggars, and I ain't tripping. There's half a good album on Beggars, the rest bores me, there's never a dull moment on Some Girls. And its more original than BB (Miss You, Shattered, Beast Of Burden, When The Whip Comes Down).

Anyway, now I've got some reaction, my final verdict is that Sticky Fingers has more amazing individual tunes than Exile, but as an album, (since this is the mode of delivery) Exile is better cos it has an amazing vibe and fits together better than Sticky.

Also, Sticky Fingers has its Keith moments too (Can't You Hear Me Knocking, I Got The Blues, Bitch Solo).

Of course this is in the obligatory IMHO
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
October 18th, 2005 06:13 PM
Neocon I really like "let it Loose," "Rocks Off" "Loving Cup".... lots of soul. I really like those songs. Great lyrics on that album.

Keith came up with Wild Horse, Can you hear me knocking, the far east sounding guitar on Moonlight mile, defined or refined the Bitch riff. Plenty of Keith there. Unlike Bigger Bang! Lol.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)