ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thank so much Box!
Long John Baldry and Mick Taylor - Lone Star Roadhouse, NYC April 5, 1988
© 1988 Arjem Boxem Thanks Box for sharing it!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Drum Solos? Return to archive
October 17th, 2005 04:43 PM
gimmekeef I've always hated drum solos and that was re-inforced when I heard one on "Toad" from the new Cream re-union disc..(yuchhhhhh).I stand to be corrected but I dont believe Charlie has ever done a sustained solo or has he?
October 17th, 2005 04:55 PM
scratched Never heard Charlie do a solo with the Stones, but I remember Charlie appearing as a guest on Later With Jools Holland and doing a 'solo' on there. There were three drummers doing a soul/jazz type song with Jools' rhythm and blues orchestra - Steve White (Paul Weller's drummer), Jools' drummer and Charlie. They all took turns in the middle of the song to perform a brief solo. The first two drummers proceeded to show off their flashy chops during their turns, and then it was Charlie's turn. With a mildly embarrassed look on his face, he carried on playing the rhythm of the song for a bit and then hit the snare a couple of times and that was it! Funny as fuck. I loved Charlie from then on.
October 17th, 2005 04:59 PM
J.J.Flash Well..... "Toad" played at RAH on May of this current year has nothing to do with what Ginger had done in the great days of Cream.......Although I don't enjoy every drum soloist, Ginger Baker and Ian Paice certainly need to be at least "respected"..... of course there are various great drummers like Keith Moon, John Bonham, Neil Peart, and so forth...but compared to the two I've first mentioned, they are a little bit overrated.
October 17th, 2005 05:03 PM
pdog Charlie's solo is in every song for the entire song!
October 17th, 2005 06:14 PM
FPM C10 When the Stones were playing "Saint of Me" in '97-'98, there was always a moment in the ending where Charlie got to do a little flourish before the last chord - every night it would be different, and he always "said" more in those 5 seconds than Neal Peart has said in an entire lifetime of overplaying.

Drumming is not about soloing. It's about being the engine that drives the train. And Charlie is a locomotive.
October 17th, 2005 06:54 PM
texile
quote:
pdog wrote:
Charlie's solo is in every song for the entire song!

and that's all we need.
my favorite "flourish" however is on sway....
October 17th, 2005 08:20 PM
Riffhard "Charlie's the engine,and we don't go anywhere without the ,huh,....engine."-Ronald Wood 2002

Well said Ronnie!

Riffy
October 18th, 2005 02:09 PM
Egbert It would be hilarious to see Charlie play Moby Dick!
October 18th, 2005 07:06 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Egbert wrote:
It would be hilarious to see Charlie play Moby Dick!

It would be even more funny to see John Bonham try and keep time like Charlie. He would be lost.

"Charlie's the only white drummer with swing."-Keith Richards 1981

Well said Keef!

Riffy
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)