ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy 70th Bill!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Did Seattle sell out? Return to archive Page: 1 2
19th October 2006 11:07 AM
glencar It's nice not see any politics threads this week!
19th October 2006 11:10 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's nice not see any politics threads this week!

I would like to nibble your elbows .
19th October 2006 11:11 AM
glencar Joey have you bought Carly's new tome yet?
19th October 2006 11:13 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joey have you bought Carly's new tome yet?

Frig No .......................

But I am currently reading Bob Woodward's latest tome ....... Beautiful .

" STATE OF DENIAL RONNIE !!! "

J.
19th October 2006 11:13 AM
glencar Yes, Woodward saw which way the wind was blowing & he sucked it in. Good for him!
19th October 2006 11:59 AM
Gazza
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
So, forgive my logic here:
If the attendance is 38K , which may be more than two nights of arena shows @ 19K a show, without having to multiply out the entire overhead factor that two shows carries, does this make The Stones juggernaut tour machine unhappy, or does it infuriate long time fans who think they must sell 66K in seats to be considered a positive thing.
I submit to you that The Stones are happy with attendance which exceeds two arena shows, where everything beyond that number is money for "their kids". In summary, the phrase "doing it for the kids", is dead on.

I submit to you that they are men with huge egoes and pride who are somewhat embarrassed at not only the scrambling that Cohl has had to do in recent weeks to paper huge stadiums with little demand but also at the large (and until now unprecedented) amount of press reports having a pop at them for losing their appeal and mocking the fact that ticket prices are being slashed in order to entice a disinterested public in going.

Bottom line is that if they were only capable of selling 35,000 tickets then they should have played two shows at an indoor arena. Its not like they have a tight schedule (just over 20 shows in two months!) Playing a midweek show in a stadium at this time of year in a cold city where theyve already played to over 80,000 people already on this tour is fucking nuts. When they booked these shows, EVERYONE was amazed they had chosen to play stadiums in areas where theyve been through two or three times already in the last year.

Overheads? Their overheads are minimal compared to the profits they make that its a non factor.
19th October 2006 12:04 PM
Some Guy Dudes are greedy.
19th October 2006 12:06 PM
glencar Yet somewhat lazy?
19th October 2006 12:15 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:

The bottom line is they are not selling well...we are "happy" that 5-60k seat arenas have 30-38k? Yes, it is still profitable, but what a hit to the bands image.

Well I guess it took this leg of the tour and another hundred million in the bank to define the difference between image and reality.
19th October 2006 12:18 PM
Nellcote While WE would understand profits might allow for two nights, said profits certainly would be diminished by the per diem of an additional two night stay that a multi night arena gig would cause. Additionally, I'd imagine the marching orders are "no additional time" this round for multinight gigs, due to the band wanting to maximize profits beyond what two arena nights could reap. Just business. Finally, all of the tours since '89 have had outdoor gigs in questionable weather environs, somehow they lucked out. Was there not a gig in Iowa in November one tour?

Certainly, the inability to fill stadiums, ticket price drop at the least minute, will or could have an impact the going forward touring plans, or, as one prominent RO board member has noted, "this will be the last time"..Of which I do not, never have thought is the truth, albiet only if one of the four should depart from this orb...
19th October 2006 12:32 PM
glencar I'm not sure but I would think the road crew/support staff would be paid per diem for the entire length of the tour. And 2 full nights in an arena looks better than one half-sold night in a cold stadium.
19th October 2006 12:32 PM
glencar And it sure feels like it's winding down.
19th October 2006 12:35 PM
Nellcote GC, the "per diem" was just a phrase for the entire overhead costs associated for a night, not the actual pay structure. I was cutting to the chase, as my harried lifestyle has me on most occasions. AC is not in the radar at this time. I tried for Austin in earnest, family & business pick at my bones constantly. I might just evaporate for a 36 hour period soon, so, AC may just occur...
19th October 2006 12:38 PM
glencar Give it a go! Chevysales is going too!
19th October 2006 12:43 PM
Dan My guess is the tour was booked around logistics such as moving the stadium stages around to the sold out gigs that it would be more profitible to book just stadium shows to offset the expenses of using those stages to begin with.

Also, its not just ticket sales. The band sells a lot of T shirts on the road so having 30,000 potential customers in a place that holds 50,000 is also more profitible than 15,000.

But yeah the routing and playing stadiums in some of these markets doesn't make much sense.
19th October 2006 12:47 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I submit to you that they are men with huge egoes and pride who are somewhat embarrassed at not only the scrambling that Cohl has had to do in recent weeks to paper huge stadiums with little demand but also at the large (and until now unprecedented) amount of press reports having a pop at them for losing their appeal and mocking the fact that ticket prices are being slashed in order to entice a disinterested public in going.

Bottom line is that if they were only capable of selling 35,000 tickets then they should have played two shows at an indoor arena. Its not like they have a tight schedule (just over 20 shows in two months!) Playing a midweek show in a stadium at this time of year in a cold city where theyve already played to over 80,000 people already on this tour is fucking nuts. When they booked these shows, EVERYONE was amazed they had chosen to play stadiums in areas where theyve been through two or three times already in the last year.

Overheads? Their overheads are minimal compared to the profits they make that its a non factor.

Gazza, you really hit a homerun with this one...I don't buy foir one minute that jagger and Co. are happy about their declining appeal and the smoke and mirrors used to get people in....brillisnt post. I have e-mailed this post to some friends as it sums up my feelings very well.
[Edited by jb]
19th October 2006 12:55 PM
Nellcote JB, Gazza may have scored a winning goal, however, last time I checked, baseball is not played in his native land..
Could you please be a bit more cognizant of this type of item in the future. Thank you for your continued support and cooperation.
19th October 2006 12:56 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
JB, Gazza may have scored a winning goal, however, last time I checked, baseball is not played in his native land..
Could you please be a bit more cognizant of this type of item in the future. Thank you for your continued support and cooperation.

O.K.-he scored a huge Gooooooooooooooooaaaaaaallllll!!!!!!!!!
19th October 2006 12:58 PM
Nellcote That's it, insert wild, uncontrollable, maniac call there..
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)