ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy 70th Bill!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 2 week countdown for Beacon shows. (updates re; Ticket sales to be posted here) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
17th October 2006 12:10 AM
Paranoid_Android ...and STILL no ticket news!!!We FINALLY got the AC opener announced...(pass the vaseline please)...but no NYC news...nohing on RS.com or TM...I think my friend was right...Box Office ONLY...but who knows, right?

Does anyone out there know? I mean really know?!?
17th October 2006 10:12 AM
throbby Rolling Stones

Beacon Theatre
New York, NY Tue, Oct 31 2006
7:00 PM click to see
venue map

The following sets of tickets are available for Rolling Stones. To sort the list, click the column header. To purchase tickets from a set, click the purchase link in that row.
All prices are PER TICKET and shown in US dollars.

= Scroll down for more options.

Most tickets are sold for substantially more than face value.

We are NOT the box office. These tickets, like all tickets offered by 1-800-Bestseats are 100% guaranteed. We realize you have many options when shopping for tickets, and we appreciate your business. We work hard to have the widest variety and availabilty of tickets at the lowest cost.

Section and Row Our Price Available

Section: GA Row: GA $5,000.00 2 available

Section: GA Row: GA $9,000.00 1 available

Section: GA Row: GA2 $9,000.00 2 available
17th October 2006 10:54 AM
jb Throbby, so far my broker has nothing. Is it going to be GA for all seating? Why one set 5k and another 9k???
17th October 2006 10:56 AM
SweetVirginia

I really think the brokers are guessing at this point, JB.

17th October 2006 11:05 AM
jb
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

I really think the brokers are guessing at this point, JB.

Agreed...I just called my concierge service and hopefully their vendors will have a better idea...this show is a must for me as I plan on making it my last ever...like RCMH, a great way to end it............................"DIFTK"!!!!
17th October 2006 11:16 AM
jb
quote:
throbby wrote:
Rolling Stones

Beacon Theatre
New York, NY Tue, Oct 31 2006
7:00 PM click to see
venue map

The following sets of tickets are available for Rolling Stones. To sort the list, click the column header. To purchase tickets from a set, click the purchase link in that row.
All prices are PER TICKET and shown in US dollars.

= Scroll down for more options.

Most tickets are sold for substantially more than face value.

We are NOT the box office. These tickets, like all tickets offered by 1-800-Bestseats are 100% guaranteed. We realize you have many options when shopping for tickets, and we appreciate your business. We work hard to have the widest variety and availabilty of tickets at the lowest cost.

Section and Row Our Price Available

Section: GA Row: GA $5,000.00 2 available

Section: GA Row: GA $9,000.00 1 available

Section: GA Row: GA2 $9,000.00 2 available

Throbby...spoke to my broker...are you interested in going ion on a pair together,,,it is 5k a ticket. Please advise asap-thanks.
17th October 2006 11:25 AM
throbby Hey JB! No idea on the GA seating. I was at the Tower in '02 and the tickets were assigned seating, like the Beacon. All the same face value though. Just the luck of the draw on where your seat was.

I'm afraid this may be a day before or day of box office only event to cut down on the scalping. Does not look good for those not residing in NYC.

Will your concierge service provide a "sidewalk camp out option" to procure you a ticket?

I'm thinking 9K is for the orchestra and 5K further back on the floor.
17th October 2006 11:28 AM
jb
quote:
throbby wrote:
Hey JB! No idea on the GA seating. I was at the Tower in '02 and the tickets were assigned seating, like the Beacon. All the same face value though. Just the luck of the draw on where your seat was.

I'm afraid this may be a day before or day of box office only event to cut down on the scalping. Does not look good for those not residing in NYC.

Will your concierge service provide a "sidewalk camp out option" to procure you a ticket?

I'm thinking 9K is for the orchestra and 5K further back on the floor.

My concierge deals with his preferred vendors and the only benefit is they charge it on their card fiorst to ensure that I am getting what I paid for. He had very little knowledge of the specifics so far. I gave him a list of questions to ask his vendor and I will call him later as he is on West Coast Time. The price was 5k a piece or a single for 9k!!! I do not want to pay 9k for a singlre if I can get a pair for 5k. I agree, this may be difficult to do if you are not there...anyway, I'll find out more and let you know....it is important that we be there as this could be our very last show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
17th October 2006 11:36 AM
throbby I agree! I would hate for Giants to be the final show.

I'm fairly close to Manhattan, but it would still take me a couple of hours before I could make it to the Beacon box office. By then it will be a total clusterfuck. Using a broker may be the only alternative.
17th October 2006 11:50 AM
jb It's amazing how difficult they have made everything for the fan this tour-even this, supposedly for 35-50 doillars, is going to be impossible for most.
17th October 2006 12:17 PM
Saint Sway I expect the cancellation announcement to be made by this Friday. Possibly, Monday at the latest.
17th October 2006 12:18 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I expect the cancellation announcement to be made by this Friday. Possibly, Monday at the latest.

I know the Clinton thing seems a go...but I would not be surprised if the 2nd was cancelled...this is very late in the game to still have no ticket info???
[Edited by jb]
17th October 2006 12:28 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I expect the cancellation announcement to be made by this Friday. Possibly, Monday at the latest.

I have been fearing this. Hope it doesn't happen.

They'll probably put them on box-office-only sale while we are all in AC.

17th October 2006 12:31 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
jb wrote:

I know the Clinton thing seems a go...but I would not be surprised if the 2nd was cancelled...this is very late in the game to still have no ticket info???
[Edited by jb]

Do you really care if you see the Rolling Stones live ever again? THESE Rolling Stones? Why kill yourself to get these?
17th October 2006 12:33 PM
GotToRollMe You guys are driving me nuts (and it's a short drive, believe me).
GA tickets for the Beacon?
And if they go on sale while I'm in AC, I shall cry big tears.
17th October 2006 12:47 PM
Saint Sway $5 to $9k is criminal to see this band in this shape!!

whats even more frightening is this is the worst show for Scorcese to document. Its harldy the Stones at this point.

Keith had a stroke. He is now wheeled onstage. Blondie will be handling all the guitar parts at the Beacon. Woody will be too busy waving to his celebrity friends. Bubba will guest on saxaphone. Daryl Jones will get mistakenly shot as soon as he onstage by a confused and overly zealous Secret Serviceman. Mick will have to take over bass. Chuck Leavell will unexplainably wear a mesh shirt and post the next day on his blog that the 12 song set was his idea.
17th October 2006 12:52 PM
Altamont When do tickets go on sale for the Stones club show at the Loving Cup?
17th October 2006 12:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Altamont wrote:
When do tickets go on sale for the Stones club show at the Loving Cup?

No show.

They have just been secretly rehearsing there between gigs.

Did you hear Flavor Flav hooked up with L'Wren?
17th October 2006 01:05 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

No show.

A- List.
17th October 2006 01:06 PM
Altamont
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

No show.

Lerwen shops at Big & Tall.

I leave for the Seattle show in one hour, I will report back all current medical conditions of the Stones based upon my view from the the floor. However, I fear I may have to take shelter underneath a tarp to avoid being trampled by warhorses.
I heard that the Strokes are the opening band tonight. Can you confirm?
17th October 2006 01:08 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Altamont wrote:

I leave for the Seattle show in one hour, I will report back all current medical conditions of the Stones based upon my view from the the floor. However, I fear I may have to take shelter underneath a tarp to avoid being trampled by warhorses.

don't get tarped.
17th October 2006 01:50 PM
jb
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Do you really care if you see the Rolling Stones live ever again? THESE Rolling Stones? Why kill yourself to get these?

Hello Max....unlike some who made Chicago their last ever show, I want to see them again in a smaller venue like the Beacon. RCMH was an inspired show, and I hope top see them one last time in a venue where we may all get a great performance.
[Edited by jb]
17th October 2006 02:00 PM
Poplar
quote:
Altamont wrote:

we can we expect the report?
17th October 2006 02:06 PM
Altamont
quote:
Poplar wrote:

we can we expect the report?

It takes a little while to draft up reports based on wild speculation and rumors, but I'll do my best. Pray I am not tarped and Omaha'd (tarred and feathered) .

The peg leg will be revealed.
[Edited by Altamont]
17th October 2006 02:12 PM
jb I am interested in the origin of the term "stool pigeon".
17th October 2006 02:14 PM
Altamont
quote:
jb wrote:
I am interested in the origin of the term "stool pigeon".

Ask Joey, he's all about stool.
17th October 2006 02:22 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
jb wrote:
I am interested in the origin of the term "stool pigeon".

Q] From Phil Potter: “I am interested in the historical origins of the phrase stool pigeon.”

[A] These days a stool pigeon is an informer, but when the phrase first appeared—in the US in the 1830s or thereabouts—it meant a person used as a decoy to entice criminals into a trap. In that sense, it’s not far from the French agent provocateur.

Most modern dictionaries say the phrase came from the practice in hunting of tying or nailing a dead pigeon to a stool to act as a decoy. Why a pigeon? More importantly, why a stool? Presumably the reference is to a tree stump rather than the backless seat with short legs (though as the tree stump sense of the word is rather uncommon, it does make one wonder; would a hunter actually carry a stool out into the field specifically for the purpose?). To add to my suspicions about this definition, it seems from the evidence that stool pigeon has always been used for a person, never for a hunter’s decoy.

The phrase starts to make sense when you delve into the history of words for decoys, of which there are a surprising number. The one to focus on is the archaic term stale, which probably comes from the French estale, applied to a pigeon (aha!) used to entice a hawk into a net. Stale appears in English from the early fifteenth century; by the end of the following century it was being used for a person who acted to entrap another.

Another spelling was stall. At the end of the fifteenth century this began to be recorded as a bit of thieves’ jargon for a pickpocket’s accomplice, who acted as a decoy to distract the attention of the victim. The verb for this action evolved into our modern sense in phrases like to stall for time.

It seems pretty clear from all this that the Americans who started to employ stool for a decoy bird were using yet another version of this old word. The use of stool in this sense is older than that of stool pigeon—the earliest reference in the OED is to the town records of Huntington, New York, in 1825: “No person shall be permitted to gun with macheanes [machines] or stools in said Town”. It was also a verb: stooling was decoying ducks or other birds by the use of stools.

The other half of the expression, pigeon, has been used in slang since at least the sixteenth century for a person who allows himself to be swindled, a simpleton or fool, a sucker. It seems that this idea formed part of the genesis of stool pigeon, so you might explain the term as “a fool used as a decoy”, though with a nod to the literal sense of the word. By the 1840s, stool pigeon had shifted from being a decoy to being an informer.

World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion, 1996–2006.
All rights reserved. Contact the author for reproduction requests.
Comments and feedback are always welcome.
Page created 27 January 2001.
17th October 2006 02:28 PM
jb Thank you...that was very informative.
17th October 2006 02:42 PM
luxury1 Well, I am keeping the faith in this band...I shall be paying 50 bucks to get in, and have a super-hot outfit planned.
17th October 2006 02:46 PM
jb
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Well, I am keeping the faith in this band...I shall be paying 50 bucks to get in, and have a super-hot outfit planned.

You shall be greeted..
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)