ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Aloha a Dutch magazine with Hawaiian name - Thank you again The Juf!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Unreleased Stones Material...? Return to archive
October 13th, 2004 10:44 PM
rockstarbrian I was just on a website dedicated to all the recordings that Mick Taylor has been on, and there are tons of unreleased Stones songs listed on this website during the time of the Sticky Fingers album. Supposedly, there are 7 versions of Wild Horses (including one with Billy Preston on organ?)? Other songs include As Now, Dancing In the Light, Rock It, Travelling Tiger, Tumbing Dice (then called Good Time Woman), Who Am I, and 4 versions of You Gotta Move. I know that when in the studio, bands will record songs multiple times and pick which is the best but what gets me is these songs I've never heard of and the fact that there's a Tumbling Dice version out there with a Sticky Fingers sound rather than an Exile sound.

I read an interview with Keith Richards saying that there were a couple songs that carried over to Exile from the Sticky Fingers album like Sweet Virginia. I was wondering if any of these recordings have been released at any time and if they haven't, is there any way to get a hold of them? They would be like the holy grail of unreleased material and I would do anything to get my hands on them.

So is there any record that they came out on or is there any website you can download them from? I know I downloaded an alternate version of Brown Sugar from Kazaa that had Mick Taylor playing slide and a guitar solo after the sax solo. Anyway, is there a website where we could download the unreleased Stones material? If there was, it would be seriously amazing...
October 13th, 2004 11:00 PM
Soldatti Dude, that's legendary.
They have more than 100 unreleased songs on very good quality ready to go sometime on a box set, take a look here and click on any year:
http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm
October 14th, 2004 03:42 AM
rockstarbrian is there any place to download any of the unreleased stuff? A box set would like make me the happiest person on earth... man I would like cry if that came out... WHY DON'T THEY DO IT?????
October 14th, 2004 05:02 AM
Zack
quote:
rockstarbrian wrote:
is there any place to download any of the unreleased stuff? A box set would like make me the happiest person on earth... man I would like cry if that came out... WHY DON'T THEY DO IT?????

Dude, there's something called bootleg training that you desperately need to understand. Send me a PM and I'll learn you the ropes.

Zack
October 14th, 2004 06:07 AM
Gazza
quote:
rockstarbrian wrote:
I was just on a website dedicated to all the recordings that Mick Taylor has been on, and there are tons of unreleased Stones songs listed on this website during the time of the Sticky Fingers album. Supposedly, there are 7 versions of Wild Horses (including one with Billy Preston on organ?)? Other songs include As Now, Dancing In the Light, Rock It, Travelling Tiger, Tumbing Dice (then called Good Time Woman), Who Am I, and 4 versions of You Gotta Move. I know that when in the studio, bands will record songs multiple times and pick which is the best but what gets me is these songs I've never heard of and the fact that there's a Tumbling Dice version out there with a Sticky Fingers sound rather than an Exile sound.

many of the songs youve listed have never circulated. Theres a big difference between knowing what was recorded and what has been bootlegged. Good Time Women is on bootlegs but its nothing special, neither are "Dancing in the light" (an instrumental), "Who Am I". Theres a couple of takes of "You gotta move" but I think theyre generally fragments from the "Gimme shelter" soundtrack as the unused Muscle Shoals tracks were destroyed after use.

>I read an interview with Keith Richards saying that there were a couple songs that carried over to Exile from the Sticky Fingers album like Sweet Virginia. I was wondering if any of these recordings have been released at any time and if they haven't, is there any way to get a hold of them? They would be like the holy grail of unreleased material and I would do anything to get my hands on them.

Shine a light, Sweet virginia, Loving Cup, stop Breaking Down, All down The Line are all available on bootlegs from sessions dating from 1969-70. Apart from All Down The Line, theyre not that different from the released versions, apart from the addition of the session musicians later on. far from being "the holy grail" theyre all very easy to find. I wouldnt sell your soul to get them so easily!

>So is there any record that they came out on

dozens!!

> or is there any website you can download them from? I know I downloaded an alternate version of Brown Sugar from Kazaa that had Mick Taylor playing slide and a guitar solo after the sax solo.

that sounds like the version cut at Olympic Studios on keith's birthday. Eric Clapton plays lead.

October 14th, 2004 09:41 PM
Soldatti
quote:
rockstarbrian wrote:
A box set would like make me the happiest person on earth... man I would like cry if that came out... WHY DON'T THEY DO IT?????

Because not much money there...
October 14th, 2004 10:56 PM
corgi37 When they are finished, we will get all this stuff. They will package and re-package every year, until doomsday.

Hey, much like they do now!
October 14th, 2004 11:30 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
When they are finished, we will get all this stuff. They will package and re-package every year, until doomsday.

Hey, much like they do now!

Like the Grateful Dead, more than two albums every year since Jerry's death.