ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Aloha a Dutch magazine with Hawaiian name - Thank you again The Juf!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why is it the Stones fault??? Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 13th, 2004 07:31 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
One out of the four new songs on 40 Licks being performed over 117 shows wasnt a good indication of them having faith in their new material, however.

Well, the most important part of the last tour were the warhorses because was an aniversary tour...
October 13th, 2004 07:53 PM
Gazza indeed, but they toured behind a HUGE selling compilation album. Which also had 4 new songs on it.

Its not like they were playing 5-6 songs off a new studio album that most of the audience didnt own and therefore wouldnt know the songs.

I dont think the other 3 new songs were great but hearing some of them occasionally wouldnt have been bad. I was just surprised they didnt try ANY of them at any time on the tour.
October 13th, 2004 07:58 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I dont think the other 3 new songs were great but hearing some of them occasionally wouldnt have been bad. I was just surprised they didnt try ANY of them at any time on the tour.

Imagine Keith performing Losing My Touch, half of the crowd on the bathroom and the other half sleeping.
The other 2 songs were throwaways for Forty Licks, the only REAL new song was Don't Stop and was great for me.
On the next tour they will do 2-3 new songs x night plus another one of Keith on his set. I imagine 20 songs setlists with 3-4 new songs, not more than that.
October 14th, 2004 06:50 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Imagine Keith performing Losing My Touch, half of the crowd on the bathroom and the other half sleeping.
The other 2 songs were throwaways for Forty Licks, the only REAL new song was Don't Stop and was great for me.
On the next tour they will do 2-3 new songs x night plus another one of Keith on his set. I imagine 20 songs setlists with 3-4 new songs, not more than that.

They were ALL new and I agree that "Dont stop" was the only 'good one' (Stealing my Heart was decent IMO and the other two were weak). However, Keith playing "Losing My touch" wouldnt have been any more or less a floor clearer for some folks than some other slow songs he plays each night. I doubt we'd have guessed that "Nearness of you" - which, unlike "losing my touch" MOST of the audience would NOT have known - would have gone down so well. Keith could sing "Happy" and youre still, sadly, going to get half of the crowd sitting down or going to the bog.

I think we'll be lucky to get 20 songs a night in future. The shows are getting shorter with each tour and in every tour, they get shorter as the tour proceeds. What was it - 19 songs by the time the last tour left the US? Theres as much chance on the next tour of the setlists going above 20 songs again as there are of the ticket prices going down!
October 14th, 2004 09:51 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
They were ALL new and I agree that "Dont stop" was the only 'good one' (Stealing my Heart was decent IMO and the other two were weak). However, Keith playing "Losing My touch" wouldnt have been any more or less a floor clearer for some folks than some other slow songs he plays each night. I doubt we'd have guessed that "Nearness of you" - which, unlike "losing my touch" MOST of the audience would NOT have known - would have gone down so well. Keith could sing "Happy" and youre still, sadly, going to get half of the crowd sitting down or going to the bog.

I think we'll be lucky to get 20 songs a night in future. The shows are getting shorter with each tour and in every tour, they get shorter as the tour proceeds. What was it - 19 songs by the time the last tour left the US? Theres as much chance on the next tour of the setlists going above 20 songs again as there are of the ticket prices going down!

Agree, the new songs were "NEW" but the only that they can play on stage is Don't Stop and maybe Stealing My Heart but this last can be a mess.

They can do 20 songs chosing more short songs, one of the reason why they played 19 songs on Europe was because the warhorses lasted forever (8 minutes versions of JJF and Satisfaction for example) and they played long songs too as YCAGWYW or CYHMK.
If they play more short songs as Rip This Joint, Respectable or Shattered the shows can be the same on time but with more songs on the setlists.
Page: 1 2