ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

When I'm 67!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 3 exclusive Stones tracks at iTunes Music Store Return to archive
10-16-03 04:23 PM
luridchief The Storm, It's All Over Now (STRIPPED Outtake) and a GREAT live NEIGHBORS!

Now for Mac AND Windows:
http://www.apple.com/
10-16-03 04:25 PM
Moonisup well OK where are they on the site!
10-16-03 04:36 PM
glencar My friend called me about these. I'm considering downloading iTunes.
10-16-03 05:33 PM
luridchief Hey there, MoonIsUp!

The iTunes Music Store is actually available right through the free program--it's not a website.

Here's more info:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/

I've been using the Music Store since it debuted and it works flawlessly for me!

10-16-03 05:37 PM
Moonisup well I am a dumbass with computers, I can't seem to find the songs for a download!!

but thanks for your quick reaction!!

RIk
10-16-03 06:21 PM
luridchief Hey, there!

Once you download iTunes, click on "Music Store" on the left. After a few seconds, the Music Store main page will load right in the program. On the left side of that page is a "Featured Artists" section--just click on "The Rolling Stones" and it'll take you right there! There's also a "Search Music Store" field on the top right where you can type the name in of any artist, song, etc.

Quality of the exclusive tracks is amazing--I already had THE STORM, of course, but the live tunes ROCK!
10-16-03 07:27 PM
Uri Hi, I still have Windows 98 so I won't have the chance to get those tracks that look awesome...

Is there a mercyful soul that might upload them somewhere on the net?

Thanks a lot

Saluts
Uri
10-16-03 07:46 PM
luridchief Hey, uri!

They're "protected" AAC files, which means you have to have an ITunes Music store account name/password to play them (you only have to type them once to 'authorize" your hard drive for your account, then anything purchuased from the online store plays without any problem). Thus, folks can't upload them to the sharing sites. Later, if you buy a new computer, you just do the same thing after you fire it up and transfer your tunes over. it sounds more complicated than it is, but it performs flawlessly. You can also burn 'em to CD as many times as you want--there are no Draconian usage rules. This, of course, prevents piracy and keeps the record company a-holes somewhat happy.

I'd imagine that someone COULD burn them to a CD-R, then reimport them as MP3 files that wouldn't be "protected," but that would cause a loss in quality.

I still buy entire CDs, but have downloaded the occasional "bonus track" from the Music Store, and a few whole CDs as well. Bought an amazing Bo Diddley release (The Chess 50th Anniversary Collection: Bo Diddley - His Best) there--less than 10 bucks for 22 songs. It's remastered and it puts the sound quality of my old Chess Box to shame.

I've heard that the iTunes store also encodes their tunes from some sort of master tapes--not just from the "store-bought" CD, thus the quality is great and the AAC files remain relatively small.
[Edited by luridchief]
10-16-03 07:59 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Right. That's what makes me laugh about iTunes. If it's a song that everyone loves, one kind soul will snatch it, put it on Kazaa through that AAF/CD/MP3 process, and voila!

-tSYX --- Ain't no more cane, Ronnie!
10-16-03 08:24 PM
luridchief Yeah, well Apple has to do what it has to do to please industry folks, but there are ways around it.

If it's an artist I really love, I still go out and buy the CD, though. Weird, because those just go into iTunes anyway, but I like having my favorite artists on the shelf for when the next big encoding breakthrough arrives, LOL!