ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

When I'm 67!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: London - things to see? record stores, and stuff Return to archive
10-15-03 04:12 PM
hmps Greetings folks.

I will be going to Brittain in November and I was wondering if you folks had some tips on things to see and so forth.

I've been to London before - it's not that.
I was just hoping for some suggestions on excellent.. stores, or anything,

thanks folks

10-15-03 04:18 PM
glencar First, you should spell the name of the country properly. It's "Britain" with only one T. Hang out on Oxford Rd. The Tower of London is good for seeing how savage the Brits can be. Buckingham Palace has a dog & pony show every midday. The food's not all that great. A side trip to Oxford U is worth it if you have time. Trafalgar SQ is fun. Berwick St has many record shops & is a nice diversion. Abbey Rd is in St. John's Wood & deserves a stop. Of course, Stones sites are Cheyne Walk, The Wick in Richmond Hill, and that first place where they all lived together that's in Martha's pic. I'll remember it later.
10-15-03 06:36 PM
Gazza Downe House (Mick & Jerry's pad) is also on Richmond Hill...just about 50 yards from The Wick

if youre looking for bootlegs, go to Camden Lock at the weekends - (Tube to Camden, turn right into Camden High Street when you leave the station)

the place in Martha's pic is Edith Grove - the street number is 102. Its still a very dingy looking flat (it was me who took that pic!)and Mick and Keith's former homes in Cheyne Walk are only about a 15-20 minute walk away. Keith lived in number 48 and Mick in number 3.

The street Glencar's referring to is Oxford Street, not Oxford Road. Fine for shopping and tourist crap, but hardly the cultural heartbeat of the city

[Edited by Gazza]
10-15-03 06:52 PM
glencar Does Mick still live there? I heard he moved out.
10-16-03 04:15 PM
Gazza he did..but he kinda sneaks back in when jerry isnt around

he did have a flat upstairs in the house until recently
10-16-03 04:21 PM
glencar I took a tour arranged by Martin elliott & Bob Drummond 2 months ago. It was well-done but things like the Chelsea drugstore are now gone. Time marches on.
10-16-03 04:22 PM
jb Gazza, what is the median income for households in Great Britain? (Please convert to US dollars). Thanks.
[Edited by jb]
10-16-03 04:57 PM
egon i hear that these things called 'pubs' are quite nice.
10-16-03 05:50 PM
scully I'm sure you will find some great pubs! Oxford Street is OK for shopping, but there you could be in any major city in the world. There are some good department stores, Harrods and Selfridges particularly). Soho is interesting and fairly safe, you can walk down Carnaby Street and imagine what it was like in the 60s. Nice shopping areas are Covent Garden and Portobello Road. Camden and Notting Hill Gate are best for record shopping - Camden High street and the Camden Lock market are well worth a visit, there's always a load of things going on there. There's usually someone on that's worth seeing - good places for smaller gigs are the Borderline, Mean Fiddler, Astoria, 100 Club, Hope and Anchor and a couple of pubs in Camden. If you want to buy a guitar (or just window shop) Denmark Street is amazing, and there's a great music bookshop (Helter Skelter) there too. The shop is built above what used to be Regent Studios (or IBC, I'm always getting it wrong!) so there's a Stones connection. You could nip out to Barnes on the train to look at Olympic too (not a lot to see). Obviously there are loads of great museums and art galleries in London as well, it depends on your tastes. There are great open spaces and parks too, though it may be a bit cold/wet in November. It's worth going on the 'London Eye' which is a huge (highest in Europe) ferris wheel, from the top of which you get a great view of London.

The King's Road in Chelsea is cool too, it still seems to have a bit of the boho atmosphere it must have had back in the day. The Chelsea Drugstore is gone though, as noted above. It's now a McDonalds.

If you want any specific details on anything, or want me to look if any gigs are on, post here and I will find out.