ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

When I'm 67!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best Female Guitar Player Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
10-15-03 06:46 PM
icydanger

stale......lurk

female guitarists are not as popular as males in many fields same ole same ole

can only think of few a part from ones above mentionned:
T. Chapman, Siouxsee, Joan Jett, c. Love, J. Batten
(nothing to do with jimi)
10-15-03 06:46 PM
Sir Stonesalot That's exactly right Glencar, we need new schtick.

Like I told Jaxxy, you fellas need to figure out a new way to entertain us. Your audience is starting to turn on you.

>we turned people on to our humor and the "jew" list and "smiley" faces only enhanced this board...<

Yeah jb, for a day or two it WAS funny. But just like South Park reruns, it's only funny the first couple of times you see it...then it just gets annoying.

I mean you guys have milked this stuff to death and beyond. If you want to be top notch entertainers, you are gonna have to come up with something new every couple of days. If you can't keep it fresh...well, no one will bother reading your posts. I mean, you don't see me still doing the "Bono is a twat" thing anymore. If you are going to be a top notch poster like me, or Maxy, or Nanky, or Sirmoonie, you will need to come up with fresh material. I realize that it won't be as easy for you and Joey as it us for the rest of us considering your diminished intellect and dull sense of humor. But you really have to try.

All you guys are doing is showing that you are just a one trick pony. And one trick ponies are LAME!!!
10-15-03 06:49 PM
glencar "And one trick ponies are LAME!!!"

And that's why we no longer see The Storm. Punk's been put out to pasture. Beware the fate of the storm, Joey.
10-15-03 06:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Punk's been put out to pasture<

Well, that is a matter of opinion.

What passes for punk today sells a shitload of records and concert tickets.
10-15-03 06:54 PM
glencar Oh yeah, that "Gotta Keep Them Separated" group.
10-15-03 07:12 PM
gypsy jb, you don't get it. you're not keeping the board 'fresh.' SS did by asking an interesting question. but you and joey made it stupid and boring by flooding it with smiley faces and lists...not fresh...it's the same ol' routine you two have been doing for the last few weeks. you've been a bad influence on joey.
i'll tell you who the best posters are:
SS
nanky
sirmoonie
Maxy
LadyJane
FactoryGirl
Voodoo
Jaxx

...and the others who continually keep this board alive with new and interesting ideas.

[Edited by gypsy]
10-15-03 07:18 PM
Boomy Wait, wait...just to be different, I want to be a part of the "worst poster" list.

Yeah, that's me...I like it. Put me there with the others.
[Edited by Boomy]
10-15-03 07:25 PM
gypsy if jb screws anything like he posts, i bet his secretary is bored.
10-15-03 07:38 PM
steel driving hammer Gyspy you are not a Gypsy, you are such an Angel darling.

Never would of thought there'd be women as beautiful as you in Oklahoma!

A woman like you needs stay healthy for as long as you can.
10-15-03 08:03 PM
beer Great topic, too bad jb and Joey pissed all over it like usual. the world has not known a flood like this since biblical times.

I dunno about the best female guitar player, too hard to pick one. i really like the way Carrie Brownstien from the band Sleater Kinney plays guitar. She rocks!

Do any of the Rocks Off ladies play guitar?
10-15-03 08:32 PM
mac_daddy Bonnie Raitt is a good call, and she probably is the "Best Female Rock 'n Roll Guitarist."

Joni Mitchell has to be considered, too.

My favorite, however, is Gillian Welch. If you have never heard her, pick up the album "John the Revelator" - it was one of the best albums to come out that year...

Other favorites are:
Emmylou Harris
PJ Harvey

and the sentimental favorite would have to be Kristin Hersh...

I also remember digging the first two Suzanne Vega albums when I was in high school, along with Tracy Chapman, and the first album the Indigo Girls did (the one with "Closer to Fine" and REM guesting - back when REM was cool, too).

quote:
gypsy wrote:
if jb screws anything like he posts, i bet his secretary is bored.

now that made me laugh!
10-15-03 08:44 PM
LadyJane
quote:
gypsy wrote:

SS
nanky
sirmoonie
Maxy
LadyJane
FactoryGirl
Voodoo
Jaxx

...and the others who continually keep this board alive with new and interesting ideas.

gypsy...YOU..MY DEAR FRIEND...belong at the TOP of the list!

I'm honored...thank you!

LadyJ.

[Edited by LadyJane]
10-15-03 08:48 PM
Some Guy Nancy Wilson. Everybody keep on doing what ya do I enjoy all of ya!!
Top ten predominantly jewish rock stars:
1 David Lee Roth
2 DLR
3 DAVE
4 Diamond Dave
5 Mr. Roth
6 D Roth
7 David Lee Roth
8 Dave TV
9 Dave Roth
10 Waldo
10-15-03 08:54 PM
gypsy Thanks to everyone who gave me a nice compliment above.

Steelie, I've been busy at work...but I wanted to tell you THANKS! I received your package Saturday. I haven't even had time to listen to and/or watch any of it. I am at work right now. I will probably not have a day off until some time next week. So, don't worry...I will have it all returned to you soon enough. Let me know if you need it back sooner.

10-15-03 09:04 PM
Sir Stonesalot Did you get my package yet Gypsy?

You won't be running to the mailbox like a retard much longer.
10-15-03 09:43 PM
gypsy No, not yet. But when I get home from work tonight, I will run like a retard to the mailbox.
10-15-03 10:46 PM
Sir Stonesalot OK, just promise me, you will crank it up and dance naked.

10-15-03 11:44 PM
gypsy How 'bout I just *tell* you that I danced around naked?
10-16-03 08:44 AM
Factory Girl Thank you, gypsy! That was very nice of you .

How do you like your new home?

If you get the SS pkg, will you pose like Britney on the cover of Esquire mag???
10-16-03 09:52 AM
Joey " I realize that it won't be as easy for you and Joey as it us for the rest of us considering your diminished intellect and dull sense of humor. But you really have to try."

Ya , I got your " One Trick Pony " right here :

" Beat Me Senseless Ronnie "

The Jacky

10-16-03 10:13 AM
nankerphelge Yeah gyps -- you should toot your own horn a bit -- that crack about jb's secretary being bored was simply beautiful!

And new material is very important. Of course there is always room for a running gag or two -- I still crack up anytime Joey puts up the Howe website. And where would we be if occasionally we didn't talk about sheep (the gift that keeps on giving).

But the key to any running gag is not to overdo it!!
When it becomes a substitute for fine posting, you have reached a creative plateau, and should take some time off to ponder some of life's mysteries: like how does the Vatican know that condoms don't prevent transmission of AIDS? And what is that amazing material that those indestructible airline "black boxes" are made of and why isn't the entire plane made of it?

10-16-03 10:18 AM
Joey " I still crack up anytime Joey puts up the Howe website. And where would we be if occasionally we didn't talk about sheep (the gift that keeps on giving). "

Sheep Lie !!!!!!!!

...............Cloven hoofed Bitches !!!!!!!!!!!!

Nanky , like my new " sign - off " ?????? If you want I can PM you the link ?

Developing ........................................

The Jacky !
10-16-03 11:38 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Steelie, I've been busy at work...but I wanted to tell you THANKS! I received your package Saturday. I haven't even had time to listen to and/or watch any of it. I am at work right now. I will probably not have a day off until some time next week. So, don't worry...I will have it all returned to you soon enough. Let me know if you need it back sooner.

Darling I said you can keep the bootlegs just the Hampton DVD back whenever your Satisfied since I only just started collecting DVD bootlegs and haven't really shopped for a burner yet.

Anyone tell you that you look like Ralph's girlfriend in the Sopranos? You do. All you need to do now is move to Jersey! LOL.
10-16-03 12:03 PM
Joey " Anyone tell you that you look like Ralph's girlfriend in the Sopranos? You do. All you need to do now is move to Jersey! LOL. "

I always felt that Gyps. had a little " Britney Spears " in her ........................................and you ?

Developing ........................................

Now , if anyone needs me , I will be at " Sanfords " for lunch .

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! Tasty !

Skittles Joe !

The Jacky !
10-16-03 12:59 PM
Zeeta
quote:
gypsy wrote:
jb, you don't get it. you're not keeping the board 'fresh.' SS did by asking an interesting question. but you and joey made it stupid and boring by flooding it with smiley faces and lists...not fresh...it's the same ol' routine you two have been doing for the last few weeks. you've been a bad influence on joey.
SS
nanky
sirmoonie
Maxy
LadyJane
FactoryGirl
Voodoo
Jaxx

[Edited by gypsy]

Gazza needs to be on this list incidentally...and Savage Young thingy!
10-16-03 01:51 PM
gypsy Hey, FG! I love the house. I have been working a ton of extra hours just so I can buy things for the house. Everyone in our neighborhood is really nice...and we have a bunch of cool jogging trails and I've been using them lately...gotta stay in shape.

Steelie, thanks again. I know a guy who is going to record Hampton for me this weekend. I'll mail it right back to you ASAP!
10-16-03 02:34 PM
Martha The first female guitarist to get my attention was the gorgeous and talented Nancy Wilson (HEART sisters, circa 1975ish). I was very taken by her energy talent and beauty.....I immediately had a crush on her which still lingers to this day.

I also love Susan Tedeschi.

Bonnie Raitt..I need to see here live this coming year if possible.

Joan Jett

Chrissie Hynde

Cheryl Crow

And Memphis Minnie and Sister Rosetta....I already forgot her name but she blew me away when I first saw her in the Blues Film series on PBS. Holy Crap! And all the while she wears those flower dresses while she tears up the Gretsch! What a mind-flip!

10-16-03 02:42 PM
Joey

[ Surgically Edited by The ]
10-16-03 03:16 PM
glencar I've been reading the Muddy Waters bio by Robert Gordon this week. As I left work this morning, the college station played "Mannish Boy." Now that makes life just a bit sweeter. Did Memphis Minnie do anything as good as "Mannish Boy?"
10-16-03 04:48 PM
Nasty Habits FPM -- Shame on you for not thinking I would be hip enough to mention Memphis Minnie!

Or do I post so infrequently I am now "off the board"?

You are correct, the right answer is . . . Sister Rosetta Tharpe!

Followed closely by Poison Ivy.

Off the top of my head, the only non-bass player that hasn't been mentioned that I can think off the top of my head is Ellen McIlwaine, from Canada. I can't recommend all of her albums, not even all the ones that I've heard, but this little Oddball is one of the strangest pieces of femme acoustic blues I know about, featuring among other things a solo acoustic slide guitar version of Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground". The woman rips it up, too.

And about two months ago I saw Wendy Case from the Paybacks rip shit up pretty good.

Apologies for anyone who mentioned Ellen McIlwaine in this thread already. My eyes were smarting from the emoticons and I couldn't see the board. I vote for an immediate ban on all emoticons, with Martha My Dear grandfathered in and the only exception.

OH SHIT!

Almost forgot about the Duchess! I don't really know how she played, but she is the hottest thing ever to hold six strings!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5