ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

When I'm 67!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: interested by 78 related shows or remembers Return to archive
10-13-03 06:15 AM
meauro I'm looking for daily newspapers review, article about 1978 tour shows.
I'm also very interested by your remembers for a 1978 show you experienced.
If you can help me, or if you still have some pics in your minds about those shows to related, email me

[email protected]
10-13-03 08:31 AM
jfk78 i was ther at the jfk june 14 1978 alot of people say that it was a bad show but i think is was fucking raw it was a mist of rain before it started and then went to 102 degrees outside full day show 90.000 people there it was really hot outside jagger it use with the firehose. he really did not talk to the crowd to much i really do not think he was sick i think they drank to much the night before and did not get to much rest they went on very late the set was very short as they left the stage no anchore the fucking crowd including myself trash the stage tossing beer bottles and whiskey bottles on the stage we were pissed but i had a blast.
10-13-03 12:02 PM
jb I attended the 78 show in Oakland and it was fucking great...the Stones last real tour....
10-13-03 12:08 PM
steel driving hammer Jeanmarie does very good work btw. Bought her 150 page project/collection earlier this year of news paper articles, pix, and reviews of just about every show on their 1975 tour and I'm just still amazed how wild the 75 tour was.

Just waiting for her to put together a 81-82 book.
10-13-03 03:17 PM
jb
10-13-03 03:19 PM
Joey

10-13-03 03:38 PM
jb
10-13-03 04:23 PM
palacerevolution I was also at the JFK show in '78. Was living in NYC and at the time there was still no,confirmed show for the Big Apple. They were barely announcing dates and playing under phony names. A record store on 2nd Ave. underneath our appartment organized a Bus down to Philly the night before the show. Me, my buddy and our two girls went. We had no tickets and a bunch of dollars. On the Bus the raffled off three tickets. I knew the Stones' spirit wouldn't abandon me and of course I didn't win one ticket. I won all three!!! This is the honest truth. It was just out of this world. Whe we got to Philly we immediately found a deal on a scalper ticket and then had a bunch of money left over and a night outside of the stadium to kill. The place was already packed and everyone was partying hard. "Some Girls" was blasting everywhere. We were still very young. Little kids. We bought mucho dope and rocked with a vengeance. In the am thet only opened two small gates. One of our girls narrowly escaped being seriously crushed in the onslaught. These were the days of real Stones madness still, where you had to fight hard to get in, and up front. we race to the front of the grass. It was open war. Once the crowd was packed tight there was NO getting out. You were stuck for the duration. And it was only 7am. It got warmer, then it rained. Peter Tosh came on and no one was in the mood. Tosh says "Don't throw things at me for I free all herbsmokers of the world" and BAM! an orange comes flying and knocks Sly Dunbar's racktom over. But the worst was yet to come. Foreigner! What a cruel joke. They simply would not leave the stage. encore after encore. They came up to the front of the stage, arm in arm to take a bow and 90,000 people screaming "Get the Fuck out of here!!!". And they would slap each other five and wave and we were just fuming. So the dope runs low, everyone is getting edgy and exhausted. the frisbees are nothing but a nuisance by now. One of our girls who was as hardcore a Stonesfan as can be was just getting ill. She starts turning green. With a heavy heart I decided I had to get her out of there. I knew once we got out of the front we'd never get back in. One last look at the stage and there he was: Charlie Watts settling in. All was forgotten, no more pain. The Stones had arrived. It was the first time I ever saw them in person. Although it was outdoors in a huge stadium I could not believe I was this close to them. That they actually were real. like jfk78 says Jagger was rumored to be ill and the show was supposed to have been weak but it was heaven to me. It was plenty long. they played all the stuff that was on the tour's setlist. Jagger was doing some bizarre mime type highsteppin'. Keith and Ron hanging on the mike croaking out the real Stones backing vox. (None of this Lisa/bernard shit). I vividly remember "Imagination" and thinking "this is just paradise". Mac was there and so was Stu. Jagger grabbed his crotch on "Starfucker" like a real man. rebel yell was passed around the stage. seen the Stones many times but this was my first time. went back to NYC and then saw the show at the Palladium. best gig of my life. It was SOOOO hot in there. All of NYC came out to see them. A chick outside payed $600 and two Springsteen tickets to get in. met Patti Smith's guitarrist Ivan Kral at the show. '78 was a gas.
10-13-03 04:25 PM
glencar Didn't make it.
10-15-03 03:12 AM
UGot2Rollme like Palace and JFK, I too saw the Philly 78 show. We camped overnight at the stadium and it was a hell of a party - I brought my boombox and was blasting Love you Live and, of course, Some Girls. A grey day with misty rain, my girlfriend got a little sick from drinking too much gin waiting for the Stones. I remember Foreigner's only good song being Star Rider. Long wait for Stones, during which I traded a doobie for a great picture of Mick and Keith on same mike (Happy) taken at Passaic a few days earlier - framed and hanging on my wall today. Anyway, my distinct memories of the show were Mick leading a fantastic Whip Comes Down and also a nice version of Far Away Eyes. Both Ian's added to the show, also - McClagan looked alot like Ronnie with his Rooster hairdo. I just got a boot of the show and it's quite an exuberant performance - they played most of the Some Girls album that we were all playing every day at home. I don't remember seeing whisky being passed around the stage, but it doesn't surprise me - Mick does sound a bit buzzed. Guitars were great - clearly heard (unlike Licks Tour). They also played Satisfaction which wasn't on the setlist too often (if at all?) during rest of tour.
They did leave without playing an encore, and I remember seeing the stage pelted with bottles as their helicopter took them back to DC. I read a quote from Mick later saying that it was his worst show of the tour as he had a fever of 103, but you wouldn't know it by listening to the boot.

It may have been their last "Great Tour", but they're still awesome and I'll always cherish the memory of that day at JFK.

Cheers!
10-16-03 09:55 AM
Jumping Jack Get a copy of Joint Trip's Ft. Worth 1978 Deluxe DVD.