ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

When I'm 67!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New DVD Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10-03-03 04:46 AM
Mathijs Doesn't this new DVD smells a bit? I don't have any hard proof or evidence, it's just my own opinion, but I sense something isn't quite right. I had this feeling ever since the first rumours, but now when I heard the title "Extreme Western Grip" it really got me. Isn't this new DVD set a complete hoax?

First, the Stones would never release anything just like that: they always have to endlessly mess with it. Touching up No Security took 3 weeks -how much time will it take to touch up 55-some tracks (picture AND sound!)? For this reason I really doubt Twickenham will be released -there just isn't enough time!

Further -Olympia was a great gig, but about a month ago someone from the management told us that Jagger had rejected the entire film. I really could imagine this: Ron Wood was drugged up to his nose (har, har), and really didn't start playing until Keith's tracks. If I see Hand Of Fate from Olympia is on the list -well, this is just impossible. This was the most awfull mucical experience since Sing This Song All Together Part 2. Some tracks from Olympia I did find best ever (Dance, THSMLI, WAY), but most of them...Respectable was nice to hear live, but I am certain Jagger would never allow to have this version released.

And the Extreme Western Grip. Sound like a European political joke doesn't it...something very un-Stones-like in my opinion.

I don't know. It just doesn't feel right. Remember back in 1993 and 1998 when the Stones "were working" on a 4-CD anthology set, and track listings and release dates were announced, filled with songs that even the most hard core fan didn't know? It feels like this again.

I wouldn't be surprised if only the MSG part will be released...Of course, I sure hope this 4 DVD set is NOT a hoax, just as much as you do.

Mathijs
10-03-03 05:02 AM
marko Hah,i�m agree with your points,ir you remember,they almost
released a box set in 1975? or was it 74.It never came out.
Never will.I�m not to euthastic about this either,not before
i got it in my own hands.Hoax or not,we�ll see that november
11th.
10-03-03 05:03 AM
Jumacfly wait and see..
10-03-03 06:14 AM
fmk438j What about this for an idea.

Maybe it is all 'testing the waters'.

You know, leaking some info on a fictional package just to get some feed back from fans. Then they'll go off and create the real thing, with the necassary changes using the reaction of the fans to the bogus release.

10-03-03 07:28 AM
Nellcote From Shidobee Looks like this is release is a lock!

Let's all gather round the tv, drink a few beers, watch the boys in action, iun about 45 days...

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 2, 2003--The Rolling Stones four DVD set
"Four Flicks" featuring over 5 hours of music and more than 50 songs will be
released November 11th by TGA Entertainment. Three DVDs will feature more
than 25 classics including, "Satisfaction," "Brown Sugar," "Jumpin' Jack
Flash," and "Sympathy for the Devil," as well as many songs never released
live before including "Love Train," "Rock me Baby," "Nearness of You,"
"Monkey Man," "Worried About You," and "Hand of Fate." The fourth DVD
presents two exclusive behind the scenes documentaries, "Tip of the Tongue"
and "Licks Around the World." "Four Flicks" will be sold exclusively at Best
Buy for $29.99 and is expected to be a key generator of excitement and sales
for Best Buy through the holidays. The four DVD set can be pre-ordered
starting today through Best Buy's website (www.BestBuy.com).

"Four Flicks" will present the magic and excitement of having a front row
seat for the spectacular sold-out and critically acclaimed Rolling Stones
"Licks" World Tour 2002/2003. It showcases the band's diversity as musicians
and performers by documenting three dramatically different shows from the
intimacy of the historic Olympia Theatre in Paris to the excitement of New
York's legendary Madison Square Garden to the gigantic spectacle of London's
Twickenham Stadium.

"This DVD includes not only the classics but songs that we have never before
recorded including 'I Can't Turn You Loose,' and 'Love Train' along with
songs that have never been recorded live such as 'Monkey Man' and 'Rocks
off,'" said the Rolling Stones.

"Tip of the Tongue," is a never before seen documentary chronicling the
conception and preparations for the innovative 3 show/3 venue concept from
the recording studio in Paris to Toronto where the band prepares for their
"Licks" World Tour. "Licks Around the World" offers fans the opportunity to
travel on the road with the Rolling Stones, from the tour's beginnings in
the United States, through Japan, India, Europe and the United Kingdom, with
bootleg tracks "Beast of Burden," "Bitch," "You Don't Have To Mean It," and
many other hidden features.

The "Four Flicks" collection features the latest in DVD technology offering
cutting edge interaction, special viewing features and inside commentary.
Bonus features include "Backstage Pass," which allows the viewer to cut back
and forth from the performance on stage to what is going on at the same time
backstage. "Select-A-Stone" allows the viewer to select his/her own isolated
camera shot of their favorite Rolling Stone. "Band Commentary" lets the
viewer drop in on the band talking about writing and recording the song
currently playing. Audio options include a totally immersive Dolby 5.1
surround sound audio experience.

"Fans will get to experience the best band on their best tour," said Michael
Cohl, tour director. "The Rolling Stones and TGA Entertainment have worked
with Best Buy to present the ultimate Rolling Stones live DVD for the
ultimate price."

"We're extremely excited to work with the Rolling Stones and TGA to offer
our customers this exclusive concert four DVD set," said Gary Arnold, senior
vice president of entertainment for Best Buy. "Best Buy is committed to
finding ways to bring people closer to the music they love and this is part
of an ongoing effort to bring fans unique entertainment. This four DVD set
uses never-before-seen concert material and behind the scenes footage to
provide fans with a unique look at the greatest band of all time."

The "Four Flicks" DVD is produced by TGA Entertainment, a multi-faceted
entertainment company and worldwide tour promoters for the Rolling Stones
"Licks" World Tour. The Paris/New York/London concerts were all produced and
directed by Marty Callner and produced by Randy Gladstein. Audio mixes were
done by Ed Cherney. The New York Madison Square Garden concert was featured
on HBO and has earned four Emmy nominations.
10-03-03 07:36 AM
Mathijs $30 for a Rolling Stones four DVD set? Do you really believe that? The 2-CD set of Led Zeppelin was $40. Any decent movie on DVD is $20. Don't you think the Stones would charge a bit more than $30?

Mathijs
10-03-03 08:06 AM
Sir Stonesalot OK, don't believe it. I don't care what you do.

I just pre-ordered the thing from Best Buy for $29.99. If this is a hoax, then Best Buy is in on it...and Best Buy is one of the largest entertainment retailers in the US. They took my CC number, I have an order confirmation number.

Did it ever occur to you Mathy, that this has been in the works since the beginning concept of the tour? They didn't need as much time to "tweek" because it didn't all come in at once. They "tweeked" the HBO show in Jan. while it was still being aired by HBO! Paris was in the can before the Twick show was even filmed. All the pre production work would have been done before the HBO show. In other words, with a little forthought and organization, there has been plenty of time for this to be completed.

As for the performances...well, I'm sure you have heard of overdubs. With the editing programs that are available today, it's a simple matter to drop in a guitar dub from another gig. Overdubs could be done in less than a week. And any video editor worth a lick(pun intended)can make a train wreck look like a good thing. Also, most of the editing was done on the fly while the show was going on. A good video editor, with state of the art editing equipment could have the "tweeking" done in less than a week. Again, plenty of time for this project to be completed.

Folks, this DVD is a lead pipe cinch. This is not a "test". It will happen, and is happening as we speak. The plan was to have this thing released in time for the Christmas shopping season. And it will indeed be under the tree of many a good Stonesboy & girl.

Mathy...would you care to make a bet on this?
10-03-03 08:15 AM
Factory Girl You can pre-order through BestBuy. It is $29.99. Someone posted a link earlier.

10-03-03 08:15 AM
parmeda
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
$30 for a Rolling Stones four DVD set? Do you really believe that? The 2-CD set of Led Zeppelin was $40. Any decent movie on DVD is $20. Don't you think the Stones would charge a bit more than $30?

Mathijs

Mathijs...this is a blessing!
Don't you think the amount everyone was charged for tickets to see these shows was ENOUGH damage? I'm hoping that someone was 'not wanting to push that envelope' and charge an outrageous amount for the DVD.
10-03-03 08:20 AM
Factory Girl Link

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1334525&skuId=5938596&type=product

With thanks to Shidoobee, Stonesdoug, FullMoon.
10-03-03 08:34 AM
Sir Stonesalot Mathy...you ever heard of "market pricing"? The Stones know damn well that they can't charge much more than $30.00usd because then they would be pricing themselves out of a lot of people's budgets. If you remember, 40 Licks, a 2 CD set, was available in the US at the same price as a single CD!!

I don't know where you get your pricing info, but tons of movies...good movies...get released on DVD for under $15.00. Some are even under $10.00. The less expensive a movie is, the more likely someone is to buy it, instead of renting it.

The Stones machine put that price on it to move units at Christmas. We will see Best Buy run TV ads in about a week or so.

C'mon Mathy...bet me.
10-03-03 08:55 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy In re "Hand Of Fate" and the other Ronked-Out-Ronnie numbers from Olympia...

Import Utrecht sound.

Cut around annoying bits with Ronnie yelling "what the fuck am I supposed to do here?"

Show primarily Keith and Charlie throughout.

Show Mick only when syncing works.

Do not do the Select-A-Stone (TM) for this song, as anyone trying to follow Ronnie will wind up on a green screen with him muttering "Keith, what was *in* that last one?"

Voila.

-tSYX --- Well uh-huh... you don't have to meeeeeaan it...
10-03-03 09:31 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
You can pre-order through BestBuy. It is $29.99. Someone posted a link earlier.

Saw the link below, thanks!
10-03-03 09:32 AM
Sir Stonesalot The select a stone thing won't be available on every song.

You hit the nail on the head Savage Young one...they will just drop in sound from another gig, and do some creative editing...lots of fast, MTV type cuts. With the pro editing programs that are out now, a project like this one could be done in under a week or two. I'm sure the 2 docos were finished a while ago.

This thing is already in the manufacturing stage. The discs are being burned as we speak. In stores in time for Christmas. Bank on it, this was the plan all along.
10-03-03 09:41 AM
beer With all the editing and overdubbing they're gonna do with these DVD's, maybe they can edit out Leavell and replace him with a computer generated Stu.
10-03-03 10:05 AM
glencar Will Euros get to buy this? I've never purcahsed from Bestbuy.com but I soitenly will now!
10-03-03 10:13 AM
Boomy NO, it's not a hoax.
|
|
|
|
|
v

from Billboard.com

Best Buy Gets Exclusive On Stones DVD

The Rolling Stones have struck an exclusive deal with Minneapolis-based retailer Best Buy to carry the band's new "Four Flicks" DVD set, containing more than 50 songs and previously unreleased footage. The four-DVD set, which will be released Nov. 11 on TGA Entertainment, will sell at a retail price of $29.99.

A Best Buy spokesperson tells Billboard.com that the length of time it will exclusively sell "Four Flicks" is still being determined but that the company will carry it exclusively through at least the holiday 2003 season. Best Buy is now taking pre-orders on its Web site.

The first three DVD discs in the set will be of concerts from the band's 2002-2003 Licks world tour at Paris' Olympia Theatre, New York's Madison Square Garden and London's Twickenham Stadium. The fourth disc will include two previously unreleased documentaries: "Tip of the Tongue" (chronicling preparation for the Licks tour) and "Licks Around the World," a behind-the-scenes look of the tour in progress.

"Four Flicks" will have several live versions of Rolling Stones songs that have never been officially released before on DVD, including "Hand of Fate," "Love Train," "Monkey Man," "Nearness of You," "Rock Me Baby," "Rocks Off" and "Worried About You."

The DVD set will also include features such as band commentary, a custom setlist, "Select-A-Stone" camera zooming capabilities, and a "Backstage Pass" option that gives a backstage-angle view of the band playing from a few feet away.

-- Carla Hay, N.Y.
10-03-03 10:15 AM
glencar But Mathjis still won't believe it. Wasn't he the guy with the burning American flag at his website?
10-03-03 10:17 AM
egon I BELIEVE, OH YES I DO!!!

However usd 30 for 4 dvd's???????
this I do not believe at all.
in europe you pay about eur 30 for 1...

10-03-03 10:34 AM
Mathijs Glencar, as I have mentioned about ten times to you: I was not the one with a burning US flag on my site. My opinions about the US are known, but I would not put up a burning flag.

Stonsalot: I will not make a bet with you, as -and read my first post- I have a FEELING it is a hoax. I really don't know it for sure, I hope it is not a hoax.

Maybe it is that after 15 years of promising multiple releases (L&G, Anthology sets and so on), I have a hard time believing the Stones are finally doing something for the fans....

Mathijs
10-03-03 10:35 AM
glencar I have a feeling Mathjis is a jackass but I'm not sure.
10-03-03 10:51 AM
telecaster
quote:
glencar wrote:
But Mathjis still won't believe it. Wasn't he the guy with the burning American flag at his website?

For some real fun check out iorr.org on the Sept 11th posts
on Sept 11th this year for his real feelings about the US

That is if they haven't taken it down
10-03-03 10:55 AM
T&A no way this is a hoax - the Stones themselves have put out a press release on it, for chrissakes...

...perhaps you should wait to buy until you get confirmation from the rest of us that the discs actually play and it's not just four dvd's of "Bambi" or something.
10-03-03 11:05 AM
telecaster
quote:
T&A wrote:
no way this is a hoax - the Stones themselves have put out a press release on it, for chrissakes...

...perhaps you should wait to buy until you get confirmation from the rest of us that the discs actually play and it's not just four dvd's of "Bambi" or something.

CNN announced it on TV this morning. Still must be a hoax
10-03-03 11:11 AM
jb ....
[Edited by jb]
10-03-03 11:16 AM
Joey

..................JACKY !!!!!! ..........................
10-03-03 11:30 AM
Jumping Jack I've order mine. I'll bet Best Buy is tossed in a bunch of money for exclusive rights.

The September 11 thread is why I don't visit IORR any more.

I'd like to say a lot more, but he isn't worth my time.
10-03-03 12:03 PM
glencar Telecaster, I read just the first 20 posts there. I don't have time to read them all but I will. Those people are sick bastards.
10-03-03 12:08 PM
jb Yes Glencar...my political posts have always been tongue and cheek, yet people jump all over me...these posts, IMHO, represented some very disturbing viewpoints...nonetheless, thats why our men and women are dying, to defend freedom ...
10-03-03 12:18 PM
Mother baby
quote:
jb wrote:
...nonetheless, thats why our men and women are dying, to defend freedom ...

Yeah but noone HAS TO DIE, Repealing the "Patriot" act would be a good start though. ("Patriot Act" now doesn't that have a nice Orwellian ring to it???)
Page: 1 2 3