ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Air Canada Centre by Rick with thanks to Brenda, Tony & Rachel
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:

CLICK THE IMAGE AND LISTEN THE ROLLING STONES WEB RADIO SPECIAL!!!

[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Poll: Concert that most impacted your life. Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-18-02 08:35 AM
Mathijs September 30, 1987, the day that changed my life: after being a Stones "fan" since I was 8, a friend of mine took me at the age of 11 to Amsterdam to see this unknown band called Guns 'N Roses, playing in the Paradiso. I can not describe what happened to me, but the the main message to me was 1)I want to be THAT rythm guitarist (Izzy Stradlin), 2) I want to be a rock star. From that day I started play the guitar and be involved in general with bands, music and performances. Now I am the rythm guitarist of a Stones/GnR band playing 1000-seaters in Holland and Germany.

The second concert that changed my live, is one I have never been to: Stones, Brussels, October 17 1973 second show. This performance is what the Stones are to me, and the recordings have taught me all I know about music, performing, interplay, guitars etc. Still, in my opinion, there's not a single gig to ever come close to this concert. Everytime I listen to it, I hear new things. Unfortunaly, all the best ever Stones gigs happened before I was old enough to see them, and of all the Stones concerts I have seen (30+ since 1990) there's not one that I find exceptually good.

Mathijs
10-18-02 09:04 AM
Mickjagger1963 Saratoga is an ubleievable town- I love the horses and the concerts, you can still bring a cooler for some shows, i.e. Barry Manilow lol. But I usually get an audio recorder, camera. and few cans of beer into SPAC these days, the trick is Half of the security is 16 year old fat girls and the other half is State police. Get in the line withh one of the fat girls they dont give a shit. - Schnectady has gone down, it used to be my dear old Troy that was the dumpster of the capital region, but now, unforunatley Shcenctady is very gang ridden with murders being a monthly occurance. Keep an eye for those white vans nanky. You should make it back to SPAC for next summer. I'd love to meeet ya.
[Edited by Mickjagger1963]
10-18-02 09:10 AM
nankerphelge I was hoping to make the July 4th Petty show this year but it just didn't happen! I usually get to my parents' place in the summer at some point -- I'll keep an eye on the SPAC schedule for next year -- would be great to see a show at the old haunt and have a beer and a big ugly joint with ya!

10-18-02 09:20 AM
gypsymofo60 Well apparently! You will have to take my parents word for it, but the concert that changed,( or rather shaped my life), was a small town suburban gig at a place called 'The Red Lion' in suburban Sutton, sometime in early , or maybe mid 1964. Unfortunately I can't remember a fucking thing about it, see I would have been about 3, and according to the participants my dummy beat this band called The Rolling Stones into first place that night........Who knows? It's not my story, it's me dads! But I also got a kick out of a young lady by the name of Rickie Lee Jones one night in '85. Oh!..There was also a guy called Kevin Borich(guitar hero), Aussies may know him,...... shit! So that's a guitar!!!!!!!
10-18-02 09:28 AM
egon keith richards - rotterdam/holland - october(?) 1992

without the boys, but man did he rock!
10-18-02 10:04 AM
Sir Stonesalot Well this ain't gonna be easy!

And the nominees for Best Concert witnessed by Sir Stonesalot are:

The Pixies at The Cameleon Club sometime in 1989-90
The Rolling Stones 9/30/02 Roseland Ballroom
The Sex Pistols Roseland Ballroom Filthy Lucre Tour
David Bowie/Nine Inch Nails HersheyPark Stadium Outside Tour
The Rolling Stones 3 Rivers Stadium Steel Wheels Tour
The Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge Tour Opener 8/1/94
Bob Dylan Oct 2001 Penn State University
The Concert For The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Red Hot Chili Peppers/Smashing Pumpkins/Pearl Jam Rec Hall PSU 1992
Rock Am Ring, Nurburgring racetrack, 3 day festival 1985
Robbie Fulks, Johnstown, Aug 2002
Rolling Stones MSG 9/26/02
AC/DC, Frankfurt, 85?
Les Paul & Chet Atkins, Harrisburg Forum

All of these shows have special meaning to me. Honestly, I could pick any of them, and it would be OK. Truthfully, I could add a bunch more. I've literally seen hundreds of shows. When I think of all the cash I spent on tickets, gas, drugs, food, and booze...I could probably pay for that '75 Stingray convertable that I want so bad.

But as of this moment, I gotta go with The Stones at Roseland. I'm still having problems wrapping my brain around that one. The Voodoo Tour Opener, and Pittsburg '89 are close too.
10-18-02 02:56 PM
jb 1981...Tangerine Bowl.....old enough to appreciate
1989..Orange Bowl........sheer joy after almost 8 yrs...
1999...NCR center...first arena Stones show
10-18-02 04:21 PM
goatshead 8/31 and 9/1 1989 (Philly-The Vet) My first two Stones shows and they happened to be the much anticipated first Stones shows in over 7 years. Awesome. I remember paying $28 per ticket for great field seats. Times have changed.

9/22/02 (Philly-Tower) A dream come true to see the boys at a venue this intimate. The energy level was amazing as the boys dug deep playing pesronal favorites No Expectations, Stray Cat Blues, Hand of Fate, and CYHMK. I never thought I would ever hear such gems.
10-18-02 05:29 PM
Fiji Joe Barney and Friends, 1997, Topeka, Kansas. I can never listen to "Hungry like the Wolf" again.
10-18-02 07:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot Good Lord Feej!

How could I have forgotten "Barney's Magic Castle" tour at the Bryce Jordan Center 2000!

Man, those kids were lip synching so dead ON!

And at the end I got to stomp Barney in the 'nads.

Beautiful.
10-18-02 07:27 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
egon wrote:
keith richards - rotterdam/holland - october(?) 1992
without the boys, but man did he rock!

Oh right Egon, how could I forget that one! It was December 4 actually . I went there with my mum (she loves the Stones too, she infected me) and it was a fantastic show. Would like to get a decent recording of that night some day!
10-19-02 03:30 AM
marco_stone
quote:
Mickjagger1963 wrote:
Does not have to be Stones show either, I think mine would be either Giants Stadium from this year, my first show, or my that first time I saw the Allman Brothers at SPAC and my eyes were opened to Rock and Blues at its finest.

Paul McCartney
10-19-02 01:41 PM
egon
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Oh right Egon, how could I forget that one! It was December 4 actually . I went there with my mum (she loves the Stones too, she infected me) and it was a fantastic show. Would like to get a decent recording of that night some day!

i just looked at my t-shirt (will never throw that one away), and you are right; december 4th

noticed it was a really short tour; only 11 gigs in 6 countries.

groeten

egon
10-19-02 04:21 PM
Mickjagger1963 How many people have ever seen The beatles live? just wondering?
Page: 1 2