ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Air Canada Centre by Rick with thanks to Brenda, Tony & Rachel
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:

CLICK THE IMAGE AND LISTEN THE ROLLING STONES WEB RADIO SPECIAL!!!

[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Poll: Concert that most impacted your life. Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-17-02 04:44 PM
Mickjagger1963 Does not have to be Stones show either, I think mine would be either Giants Stadium from this year, my first show, or my that first time I saw the Allman Brothers at SPAC and my eyes were opened to Rock and Blues at its finest.
10-17-02 04:50 PM
Gazza Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band : Wembley Arena, London 29.5.81 ("River" tour)

the day before my 18th birthday..my first trip to London and still to this day the best show I've ever seen.

all for �6.00
10-17-02 04:52 PM
Mickjagger1963 wow thats a deal.
10-17-02 04:52 PM
Moonisup 06-14-1995 Rolling stones in Nijmegen my first

Chuck berry, little Richard and Jerry lee Lewis in Concert, the Hague, july 2000

ahhhhh man to see the good old chuck doing all those classics, I was crying from happiness!!
10-17-02 04:56 PM
nankerphelge SPAC is awesome -- my home away from home --grew up (well) outside Schenectady and spent many a fucked up summer nite there -- Talking Heads was one of the best shows I ever saw there (mushrooms helped). But to answer yer question -- Stones baby -- '81 in Buffahole -- twas there I saw the light!
10-17-02 04:59 PM
Mickjagger1963 Nanky- do you still live around here? SPAC is the ultimate concert stop. I live in Troy, and in the summer if there is a good concert, ie. DMB, ALLmans, Tom Petty, Santana, there will always be like 30 of us from Troy High partying getting crunked....easy place to score some drugs.. lol
10-17-02 05:02 PM
David Mine would be my first because it set the standard. The Kinks in 82
10-17-02 05:05 PM
Moonisup drugs oh no, that ain't legal hahhhhahahaa

WEED = AMSTERDAM

i remember a line from 'old gods almost dead'

'de 5 avonden in de door hashdampen benevelde amsterdam arena'

that means:
5 nights in a row at the Hash occupied Amsterdam Arena.
I remember that, I smelled it so much that I almost get high of the smell haahhahaha
10-17-02 05:12 PM
Nellcote Rolling Stones-7/19/72 Boston Gahden $6.50

The night after they got busted.
Stevie Wonder opens the show, Superstition his hit at
the time. On fire!!
First row Balcony, Mick T side
Jagger humping the stage during Midnite...
"Heard about the Boston...Sheeeeit!'
Street Fighting Man, the mirror swings wildly!
Put the hook in me forever....
Listening to the Exile Boot as I type this....

Muddy Waters Paradise Theatre Boston March of 1978

Absolute testosterone! Right after Hard Again came out!
My girlfriend, now wife thought I had entered another hemisphere...Muddy leaps, screams. pure, best ever blues!

J Geils Band,Cape Cod Coliseum 7/24/75....

Wild, braless chicks throwing themselves at Ole Nellcote, along with Peter Wolf, concert must have lasted 3 1/2 hours...Hot Summer Cape Cod night...plenty of hooch!

Lynyrd Skynyrd,Cape Cod Coliseum August of '78

They had played most of their last album live, before it was released, Magnificent White Super Trooper spotlights made night out of day in the old barn during, what else, FREEBIRD!!! Sadly, it was over sever months later...

WHAT A PISSA THREAD!!!!

Sorry, these are all foundation forming gigs, had to include as one!
[Edited by Nellcote]
10-17-02 05:15 PM
sonicrock well to name one is too hard the lyres paris 85, johnny thunders in 84 and the pretty things in 2000 all in paris
10-17-02 05:20 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! The Grateful Dead, July 7th 1987, Roanoke Virginia. This was my first Dead show and it changed my whole perception about music. After this show and shows that followed, I completely approached music in a different light. It took me to places that I have never been before and it certainly has been a life changing experience since I've been "On the bus". Of course, The Stones first show was great, but it didn't have that "something" that changed my life as far as music, life style and make you see things just a little differently. My concept of The Stones hasn't changed since I was 5. They are still the Greatest Rock Band that ever walked the planet, but The Dead opened my eyes to a completely other universe!
10-17-02 05:23 PM
SirMuddy Syracuse, NY
Carrier Dome
November 27, 1981

My first Stones Show
Escaping on a running free from home
Long trip
Grand-M�re, PQ (Not even on the map) to Syracuse!
Fall in tears during Beast of Burden
thinking 'bout it's my father's only stones song he loved...
Anyway Nice trip
I was swet little 16
I became a man that night
10-17-02 05:35 PM
Mickjagger1963 I hope to see The Other Ones at Pepsi Arena this fall, that will be life-changing, even though Jerry is gone, they still rock.
10-17-02 05:46 PM
luxury1 KISS--May 1975.
It's been downhill since.
God, I loved that band
10-17-02 06:10 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Don't kill me, but... man, I can't decide. I've only seen two 'real concerts', that is, with famous people & so forth - I go out to the bar with my father when a good band is playing, but that's about it.

Paul McCartney, April 19, 2002 - The FleetCenter. This man puts on a Rockshow. Even ballads that I usually have no time for ("Your Loving Flame", "Blackbird") were soulful, and the only songs I disliked were "My Love", that wretched "Freedom" and "C Moon". The last part of "Band On The Run", which I think is silly in the studio, is a no-holds-barred rock song live. And on the other side, I bawled my eyes out during "Hey Jude". It's just such a good song. You play that song, get people singing along, it's a catharsis of the first degree - absolutely staggering how powerful it was.

And I don't care what people say. Driving Rain was an ass-kicking album. It was like "This is fucking it. I'm going to play what I want to play, Silly Love Songs are out the window." Even if you absolutely hate Paul McCartney, just try and deny that "Rinse The Raindrops" is not a rock epiphany. I'll post it somewhere if people want to download it. I've told this story before, but it bears telling again - he started crying halfway through this song in the studio, and instead of stopping he kept playing and just ripped his guts out into the microphone.

And of course, the other one was...

The Rolling Stones, September 3, 2002 - The FleetCenter, again. Man, what a friggin' great show. Keith's side, up in the balcony - a chiba-phonic experience with the college kids behind me and one of the candidates for Liutenant-Governor next to me. I didn't care - hearing "Rocks Off" live made my adolescance. I'm ready to legally drink and vote now. That was my coming of age, Thank you...

And of course, my hopes for Ronnie Wood were fully realized as "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" became this writhing monster under his control. Not to mention the rest of the night was his bitch. 'Specially through the Exile set. And Keith apparently didn't wake up until next show, so I got a Ronnie Wood And His Rolling Stones for one night only experience...

-tSYX --- Let me go!
10-17-02 08:08 PM
mick&keith The Rolling Stones, 2 Nights (in a row), Werchter, Belgium, 1998. So transformative I am still there (well, a part of me anyway)!
10-17-02 08:13 PM
RubyFriday
Jimi Hendrix Fehmarn 6.Sept.1970

10-17-02 08:56 PM
Martha Geez..what a question..I've seen so many live shows.

The first blow-my-head-off show that changed me from a casual concert-goer to a fanatical must-go-see-this-live shit was Jethro Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery tour in 1975. I went completely berserk and made my soon to be first husband drive us all the way (in those days this was a big deal for me) to Bloomington IN to see the show a second time. I also demanded that my Mother stop at the record store after she got off work and buy me the 8-track..I had to hear it over and over and over again...you know the drill.

I went crazy for Tull after this tour and saw every show that came my way. By now I am so far gone I need to meet the band after the show so I started hanging around afterwards behind the venue and would follow the limo's (in a Pinto wagon, hubby drivng and me screaming at the top of my lungs "DON'T FUCKIN' LOSE THEM!!!") to the hotel and were able to meet the band on several ocassions in the hotel lobby where they always stayed. Met others too Like Floyd, ELP, Heart..etc.

Got Ian Anderson to autograph a 5x7, taken the tour before, of us together...and he signed it to "A" pril (my birth name) putting the "A" in quotes.... because I told Him that I had told ALL my friends that his latest album entilted "A" had been named for me! lol!

Tull was unstoppable in the day..never saw a bad show..always crystal clean, explosive, tight and on fire. Surely impressed the shit outta me.

Second melt-down came in 1998 July 3rd..Gund Arena. Page and Plant tour. I hadn't seen them since 1975..yes I saw Zep once...only once...but once. I can't truly explain what happended to me at this show..I've never been so affected by a live show as I was this one. I was completely sober up in the nosebleeds straight back from the stage..(as far away as you can get)...and was so blown away by the show that I began having mini-blackouts during it..I simply could not take it all in...and somewhere in my head I heard myself thinking...I HAVE TO SEE THIS AGAIN. I did...Seattle, LA and the last show of that tour in Memphis. By the way, I got a message from a friend today that the London Times had a blurb on the reunion rumors of P, P and JPJ reuniting and touring this coming summer. Holy Mother of GOD!

The next major kick me down show that really stems from a lot of nostalgia and my musical history was the MACCA show this past spring in Cleveland. I sobbed like a baby after it was all over...so many memories flooded back contiually throught the night (like being at my Grandmother's and playing Beatles 45's on her phonograph...and she's no longer living)...I grew up with the Beatles people. The show was very good..tight and really took me back.

Then there is the night that has forever changed my life...for the absolute better. And it cannot be touched...

Rolling Stones Detroit MI Ford Field 10/12/02

I still cannot gather my thoughts to put on paper what happened to me at this show. There are simply not enough superlatives..adjectives, verbs or adverbs in the English language. I am still in a stupor....stunned and as vulnerable as a newly born infant. Naked and wet and screaming into the darkness looking out at the light....that was me at Ford Field.

I don't really like putting numbers on things...makes no sense to me...so I'll just leave it as it is.

There have been many, many stellar and unforgettable performances by countless other bands along the way. I am profoundly grateful to have been at them all.

Great thread topic!
10-17-02 09:42 PM
Dan Anthrax/Public Enemy/Primus/Young Black Teenagers at Irvine Meadows 10/19/91. I wasnt the least bit into rap and never heard any P.E. except for Bring The Noise with Anthrax but their set totally blew me away. Chuck D is one of the best front men ever. I had never seen anything like it my life, I bought all their albums the next day. I still dig them even though their politics suck!
10-17-02 09:48 PM
Angiegirl Stoneswise:
- Rotterdam (Holland) May 21 '90
my first show, with my parents and my brother. I sneaked away from them to get closer to the stage. I was a 15 year old girl, so people pretty much let me through if I smiled sweetly I was in trance, with my eyes and mouth wide open and all...

- Madison Square Garden Jan 16/17 '98
My first Stones shows in the States. I just got on the plane by myself and there I was in New York City! Had the best seats too. Fantastic.

- Sheperds Bush Empire, London, June 8 '99
Although it was certainly not the best clubgig of the Stones in the nineties, it was my very first clubshow. Couldn't believe I made it after just missing them at the Paradiso in Amsterdam. I met Gazza and his wife in the Sheffield hotel, we got on the train, we got a taxi (with 4 people and lots of bagage!) and queued up at Tower Records. Man, that was something. At the day of the show I got there at 6 in the morning and at night I was the 3rd one to get in. I stood up front on Ronnie's side (well, small stage, so not really sides, lol). I almost fainted from the heat and got crushed so badly that I had several dark bruises on my chest and ribs. But hey, who cares, I was just 2 meters from the band. Keith gave me his guitar pick after You got the silver, my first too. What more can a girl wish for...

Other bands:
- Pink Floyd, Werchter/Belgium, May 13 '89
Those lasers with that music did it for me, my first big show.

- Black crowes, Rotterdam/Holland '95
- Smashing Pumpkins Rotterdam/Holland '95
- Levellers, Pinkpop Festival, Holland, '95

I could get on and on, most concerts have so many great memories for me.

Angelique
10-17-02 10:56 PM
scope Gotta go with my first Stones show at MSG '72. Stevie Wonder opened this show too. I remember there was a mail in lottery for the opportunity to buy tickets. I had a friend who mailed in 100's of postcards and got picked for 3 or 4 shows. I don't remember how many shows they did in total that week. He gave me a pick of shows, and I took the one with the best seats, 12th row center on the floor. For $6.50 I saw the legendary Rolling Stones with seats that I may never see again. I remember standing on a folding chair, rockin' my ass off to one hell of a show. I'm sure I had been to shows before that, but none as memorable as this one.

Honorable mention goes to MSG this year. Not only is the band on fire, reminding everyone once again what this band is all about, but meeting lots of folks from this place, sharing stories and reviews before and after the show made September 26, 2002 a day too that I shall not forget.

Hey Martha, I too saw alot of Tull. Thick as a Brick, Passion Play and Minstrel were great shows. I think for Thick, the band came out in overalls, looking like roadies. All of a sudden they pick up their instruments, rip off the overalls and start playing. Cool opening! Or, maybe it was a hallucination, but I swear it happenned.
10-17-02 11:10 PM
keefnmick The Who at Shea Stadium in 1982
Eric Clapton at the Fillmore in Nov 94
Neil Young at Princton Landing ( a bar in Half Moon Bay, Cali) with 80 people in it 1996
Tom Waits Paramount Theater, Oakland 1996
The Stones at Roseland Sept 30, 2002

Hard to choose from these
10-17-02 11:33 PM
Martha Hey Martha, I too saw alot of Tull. Thick as a Brick, Passion Play and Minstrel were great shows. I think for Thick, the band came out in overalls, looking like roadies. All of a sudden they pick up their instruments, rip off the overalls and start playing. Cool opening! Or, maybe it was a hallucination, but I swear it happenned.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL It WASN"T a hallucination my rock and roll friend...my chiropractor just told me the same story yesterday when I went for an adjustment (standing somewhat stooped over on the chair all night at Ford Field threw my back out). He saw the very same Tull tour and gave the exact same story to me about them posing as roadies. It's a small world!
10-18-02 12:12 AM
Bluzian Ooh, I gotta get in on this one too!! *LOL*

The ALL-TIME best concert that I wet-dreamed about for ten
years finally happened at the Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame in
September 1995. Since I was a child I loved Chuck Berry
and Jerry Lee Lewis (Little Richard..etc) and on taht night
all my dreams came true.. It's in a category all by itself.
It's too surreal to even consider "best concert". It's more
like a life altering experience. A real break-through. A
multi-orgasmic experience.

Second most moving was at the Syracuse Blues Festival, on
July 19, 1999 - same night JFK Jr. died in that wicked storm.
My buddy and I flew down the NY-thruway in torrential monsoon
downpour - practically hydro-planing the entire way there..
On the bill was Leon Russell, Mick Taylor, John Mayall, and
this unheard of Demi-God boogie-woogie player named Kenny
"the blues boss" Wayne. It was what they refer to as a
"Religious Experience". I'd never even heard of this cat,
but he blew my mind the way he tickled the ivories. Un-fucking
believable. My buddy and I STILL talk about this to this day.
We cannot get rid of that memory. It's a concert experience
that is the bench-mark which was monumental. A mere "nobody"
came out, we weren't suspecting a thing, and he fucking blew
the roof off the hotel ballroom. I was so shaken by the
experience, I couldn't even approach the guy to get his
autography. (my buddy got it for me in lieu of my out of body
experience). I was trembling. I cried. I was exstatic.

#3 Prince's Trust, June 28th, 1996, Hyde Park. Front Row! (you know the one)

#4 Black Crowes, Massey Hall, Oct 18, 1996. Wicked.

#5 Rolling Stones, Wembley, July 11, 1995. (first show - Front Row!)!!!

#6 Black Crowes w/ Jimmy Page @ Roseland, Oct. 1999.

#7 Little Richard, Ontario Place Forum, June 1992. *CHILLS*

#8 Big Sugar, any show.. it's a mind-blower each and every time!

#9 Rolling Stones, Montreal Molson Centre, April '98. (1st show)

#10 Tina Turner, Wembley, July '96. Front Row!

Thanks for the laughs you guys.. I loved reading all your
stories and concert experiences!!

Ian
10-18-02 04:32 AM
parmeda As a young girl, I was exposed to a vast array of music. I have my parents to thank for that. As a young teenager, and growing up in an area amply supplied with 'garage bands', I couldn't wait until I finally was allowed to attend my first 'real' concert. I couldn't wait to go spend the night on a sidewalk in line with hundreds of others to buy a ticket, first thing the next morning. I couldn't wait for the day to arrive to go back to the 'big city' with my friends, to push through the crowds to find our seats and to have my jaw drop when I realized we were so fricken close to the stage. I couldn't wait to find somebody old enough to go sneak and buy me a beer. I couldn't wait for The Stadium to fill up fast enough. I couldn't wait for the lights to go out. I couldn't wait to hear 'that humming' coming from the stage. I couldn't wait for the deafening screams from the fans. I couldn't wait to hear that first song.....

The Place: The Chicago Stadium - 1976
The Band: Queen (God Bless Freddy Mercury)
The Song: Boheimian Rhapsody

Did this make an impression and an impact on me? You bet your ass it did! I was only 16. My friends and I made a personal vow to ourselves from that day on, to see 'the big head-liners' that came into Chicago...we did...and we still do.

It took another two years before I could FINALLY see The Stones...that happened in 1978...I haven't missed one of their shows in this town since then. Am I still impressed and have they been able to make that same impact on my life? Let me just say...I still can't wait to buy those tickets. I still can't wait to fight the crowds. I still can't wait to hear the deafening screams from the fans. I still can't wait for the lights to go out. I still can't wait to hear that first song.

BTW...one of those garage bands that I used to see regularly, finally made it to 'the big show'. That band...was STYX.
10-18-02 05:12 AM
dealer squealing The concerts that changed my life are the first ones with my idols: Stones in Gothenburg 1990 (great show Keith was in a killer form) and Bob Dylan in Iceland 1990(very stoned but performed a awsome concert)
10-18-02 07:50 AM
F505 easy for me: the Paradiso Club gig (second night) in 1995: to see the Stones at a Stone's (!!!) throw playing these immortal songs like Still a Fool, Down in the Bottem, Shine a Light and Dead Flowers was the best thing I ever witnessed...
10-18-02 08:13 AM
nankerphelge MJ'63 -- no I live in the greater DC area (was that a gunshot?) these days. But SPAC was my home during the summers -- $6 lawn seats were the key to the benefits program from '79 on! Drugs were always easy to score there and at one time you could roll a big ol' cooler right on in and plop on the grass. I pretty much went to any show didn't much matter to me what was playing! Ponies during the day and SPAC at nite! Saratoga is great!
10-18-02 08:24 AM
scope Hey Nanky, I was just in Schenectady last weekend. My daughter goes to Union. What a dead town. I guess it was different when GE was in full swing there, but I can see why you made it to SPAC so often.
10-18-02 08:33 AM
nankerphelge Schenectady is a sad place these days -- but truth be told, it always was, even when GE was booming! But it was a good blue collar town and had plenty of things to do. Union is a great school -- I thought seriously about going there or RPI for engineering, but wanted to be a bit farther from home.

SPAC is great because it is an outdoor ampi -- beautiful place to see a show and catch a retard buzz on a hot summer nite.
Page: 1 2