ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Air Canada Centre by Rick with thanks to Brenda, Tony & Rachel
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:

CLICK THE IMAGE AND LISTEN THE ROLLING STONES WEB RADIO SPECIAL!!!

[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Header Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-17-02 08:38 AM
F505 Indeed nasty, you were right! My apologies to harry:

HARRY SMITH (1923-1991)

Harry Smith was an artist whose activities and interests put him at the center of the mid twentieth-century American avant-garde. Although best known as a filmmaker and musicologist, he frequently described himself as a painter, and his varied projects called on his skills as an anthropologist, linguist, and translator. He had a lifelong interest in the occult and esoteric fields of knowledge, leading him to speak of his art in alchemical and cosmological terms.
10-17-02 09:45 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Even that now is off-topic in the new direction of the thread LOL, here is the reference header

Have you seen your mother baby, Standing in the shadow was one of the very first rehearsed, in the Crescent School before moving to the CTV Studios in the Old Masonic place, it was told to me by someone working in a non -related project (Stage) as he heard about it directly with indiders at the rehearsals, in a bar, I reported it, in fact I only reported two songs LOL this one and Stray Cat Blues.

Then as you can see it was rehearsed later as reported by Toronto Tom, Miss U or whoever it was.

But what the fuck is going on? PLAY IT! Play it with the original power, but play it!!! I love that one.

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
10-17-02 09:50 AM
Sir Stonesalot Check out David Johanson and the Harry Smiths. It'll take yer head clean OFF.
10-17-02 10:45 AM
jb Remember that band "The Smiths" from college in the 80's..
10-17-02 10:49 AM
Sir Stonesalot I never got into that whole Goth scene...The Smiths, The Cure, Bauhaus etc. Too much eye make-up for me. I used to use a little bit of eye liner, and every other finger painted black. That was about it for me.
10-17-02 11:23 AM
F505 What about Alice Cooper?
10-17-02 11:25 AM
jb Still Tours occassionally...I used to love "Billion Dollar Babies", "No more misty nice guy", "18"...aLICE WAS A HELLUVA SHOWMAN AND A GREAT GOLFER!!!
10-17-02 11:38 AM
Sir Stonesalot F505, I put Alice more in the hard rock catagory than in the goth rock catagory. While Alice was certainly a gothic image, his music was not as....dismal and depressing as say The Smiths.
10-17-02 11:50 AM
jb What about the great english band "The Cult".. a great jagger likr lead man and killer guitarist...very underrated...
10-17-02 11:52 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Check out David Johanson and the Harry Smiths. It'll take yer head clean OFF.

I never got around to hearing their second album, but I loved that first album with a passion. That song "Richland Woman", which is an old Mississipi John Hurt tune, is so great.

I wish it was David Johansen and the Hairy Smiths and it was just a tiny shade more Holy Modal Rounders, though.

I assume you've got Harry Smith's "Anthology of Folk Music" box on Smithsonian? That thing is as profound as it is strange.

10-17-02 12:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well, I COULD have the Smithsonian box if I wanted it. My Uncle has it(I'm not kidding, the guy has a better inventory than most record stores.), and I've heard bits of it, and I'm sure he'd record it if'n I want it.

I owe my Uncle a great deal. I've spent many hours listening and treading down the righteous path with him. On his dime.

Nasty....do you know about "living room" shows?
10-17-02 12:59 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Nasty....do you know about "living room" shows?

?????

Help me to learn.

10-17-02 01:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot A living room show-Hire a musician to play a private party.

My Uncle, and a good buddy of mine put on parties at my buddies house.

3 parties in the last 2 years.

The first party they hired Robbie Fulks(yes, THAT Robbie Fulks.).

The second party they hired Graham Parker(Yes, THAT Graham Parker.).

The third party they hired Steve Wynne(Yes, THAT Steve Wynne).

The aforementioned musicians play their sets in the living room.

It's pretty neat. Don't know who is next. I'm pushing for the Mekons, or at the very least Jon Langford. My buddy is hot to get the World Party guy, Karl Walenberg(SP?). I don't know who it's gonna be next.
10-17-02 02:33 PM
Nasty Habits Oh! A rent party! I thought we were still talking about strippers.

Wow! Your uncle really IS the shit!

I saw Graham Parker about a year ago with his band the Figgs, and he was great. Closed his show with a version of Shake Your Hips. Did Sheena Is a Punk Rocker as an encore.

Steve Wynn came over to my house one time in Missouri after a gig at the local club and sang songs for about two hours. He mainly did it because he wanted to fuck one of my employees (which he did). At one point I almost had him convinced to do all of Beggar's Banquet, but we decided that that was maybe a little extreme, so we settled for a drunken duet on Dear Doctor followed by a rather lovely No Expectations. Top night.

Apparently the Mekons are on fire right now, covering the entirety of their career and really blowing it out. Let me know if such a thing should happen. I would be intrigued and enticed by such an event. . . .

NASTY!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
Page: 1 2