ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Air Canada Centre by Rick with thanks to Brenda, Tony & Rachel
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:

CLICK THE IMAGE AND LISTEN THE ROLLING STONES WEB RADIO SPECIAL!!!

[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Any " hard-core Side Two-of-Tattoo You cultists" out there? Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-15-02 11:07 PM
Martini I just started reading the October 31 issue of Rolling Stone magazine and I found the review of Forty Licks pretty amusing. When mentioning that some fans are likely to have a few problems with some of the omissions, author Rob Sheffield states, �Eighties mall rats will mourn the fabulous �She�s So Cold,� and the hard-core Side Two-of-Tattoo You cultists (who really exist, believe me) will blow gaskets over the shameful omission of �Waiting on a Friend.��

I found the statement about �Side 2 of Tattoo You cultists� interesting, since I�ve long considered myself a passionate admirer of that side of the album. It is so different. It is actually my favorite side of any album they have ever made, even though as a whole the album is not my favorite. (This is because �Neighbors� is such a weak tune that it throws the whole LP off balance. The rest of the tunes on Side 1 are great, though.) I even burned Side 2 of Tattoo You three times in a row on a CD just so I can hear those fascinating songs with such wonderful textures repeatedly.

So who is in the �cult" with me?

[Edited by Martini]
[Edited by Martini]
10-15-02 11:09 PM
moy i'm one, i love heaven and tops
10-15-02 11:09 PM
BILL PERKS I'LL DRINK THE KOOL-AID IN THIS CULT.I LISTENED TO THAT SIDE EVERY NIGHT FOR 10 YEARS,AND I'M HEADING BACK TO IT TONIGHT!
10-15-02 11:16 PM
Boomhauer "No Use In Crying" would have been a great single. Very nice song. Though, "Waiting on a Friend" is "tops" in my book.

lol
10-16-02 12:20 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I love it!!! It's a trip, I didn't think the same at first listening. A masterpiece with a touch of acidity!
10-16-02 12:50 AM
KeepRigid Love it. Great summer listening, or any other time, for that matter. No Use would be ridiculously cool in a club, w/Mick and Keith at the mic.
10-16-02 01:07 AM
Flash77 One of my all time favorite album sides! The album that started it all for me at the tender age of 4! "Tattoo You" holds a special place in my heart as one of the first records I ever got. I'm hoping they perform a "Tattoo You" set at one of the 4 upcoming shows I am going to on the tour.
10-16-02 02:06 AM
gypsymofo60 Yeah! I'm one of those CULTISTS, I love side two of Tattoo, it always takes me back to the Australian summer of 81/82, long hot summer nights on the beach, beers, wine, out of tune guitars, a little smoke...'Heaven' one of their most underated tracks.
10-16-02 02:19 AM
Moonisup hmmmmmmmm side 2 yes, always get happy when I am thinking of those, the sirene sounds of heaven the beautifull tones of tops yes it's great!! A classic

rik
10-16-02 05:20 AM
Child of the Moon Worried About You is one of those songs that, given the right circumstances, will drive me to tears. No kidding. I'm not afraid to admit it.

Tops is the only one I'm still warming up to... maybe it's one of those songs that takes years to develop a taste for. I don't know why, but I've never dug it as much as the other songs on that side. I love Heaven and No Use in Crying, and Waiting On a Friend... well, it's Waiting On a Friend. Enough said.

Shit, now I have to hear Worried About You. I need that tear in my eye.
10-16-02 05:41 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
I'LL DRINK THE KOOL-AID IN THIS CULT.

lol bill

count me in for a cup too

after the disappointment that was ER (following SG) i purchased TY with some trepidation - so it was with great pleasure that the sounds of the album revealed themselves

side one rocked like a good stones record should (and i include "neighbours")

but side two left me jaw droppingly gob-smacked.. even friends of mine at the time who weren't necessarily stones "nuts" kept saying how good they thought "heaven" was

it's fantastic - "tops" is tops and "heaven" is heaven

btw, as i understand it, please confirm those who know, but "heaven" was at least co-written by bill and it's him on the guitar - also, what's that instrument that makes that weird "chiming" sound - never heard anything like it before or since - well maybe i heard it as an incidental sound effect on some tv show like "lost in space" or "i dream of genie"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-16-02 07:59 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I dunno about you, but I hate "Heaven", and while Side Two has some great great great numbers, namely "Worried About You", in which Mick gets the falsetto right after "Emotional Rescue", and "No Use In Crying", which needs to get played in LA. I don't understand what the fuss about "Waiting On A Friend" is all about - I just don't like it. Nor do I like "Heaven". "Tops" is awesome, though.

It's side one for me, alla way alla way alla way alla way down...

-tSYX --- She's there when I close my eyes...
10-16-02 08:07 AM
stonedinaustralia xyzzy - i'd agree to the point that "waiting on a friend" is not as strong as the other tracks but as for "heaven" - well, each to his own
10-16-02 08:20 AM
sirfito I'm one of those, TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Really love it!
Cheers,
Fito
10-16-02 08:46 AM
Maxlugar In the summer of '81, every night that I came home from being with my little sweety, I'd get into bed and put the headphones on and listen to side two of Tattoo You. I was sick with love over her! Side two helped me deal with that love. It seemed to say everything my little hormone crazed, puppy lovin' brain was thinking.

I am in the cult.

"Stick the entire city of Waco Texas in my bung hole and call me David Koresh, Ronnie!"

Jones Town Maxy! (Nike Boy!)
10-16-02 08:51 AM
full moon I will sacrifice anyone for induction into this cult.. It has always been the ultimate for me. Heaven is friggin brilliant and Waiting On A Friend !!!!
10-16-02 09:21 AM
Maxlugar Heaven is Jagger, Wyman and Watts.

Jagger's guitar is hypnotic.

Don't you think Mick misses working with Bill on some level? They've done some interesting stuff together.

10-16-02 09:27 AM
nankerphelge Heaven is one of those interesting Stones tunes that doesn't fit into any particular category -- like Continental Drift and Just Wanna See His Face -- good chiba tune -- VERY good chiba tune.

CHIBA CHIBARE CHIBATUS

"I came, I smoked, I set my right nipple on fire"

10-16-02 09:34 AM
stonedinaustralia thanks max for the info

thanks nanker for a bloody good laugh - you C10ers should design some sort of "coat of arms" and you could put your maxim (no pun intended) on a scroll around it

10-16-02 09:37 AM
Joey CHIBA CHIBARE CHIBATUS

"I came, I smoked, I set my right nipple on fire"

Holy Jesus !!!!! Nanky ..................you have given your young Joey a great gift this morning . I only wish I could burn a copy of my new Aragon Boot for you .

Count Me in too . " Side Two " of Tattoo You is a masterpiece on a level of " Side Two " of Abbey Road .

Jagger ...Richards .....Wyman ....Watts .....Perkins !

" ...What could have been Ronnie "

Kunta Joey

10-16-02 09:45 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I don't even know why I don't like "Heaven" - I love "Just Wanna See His Face" and to a lesser extent "Continental Drift" - it just doesn't cut it for me. Too... weird, eighties new-age for me.

-tSYX --- The sweet smell of success...
10-16-02 11:15 AM
Scot Rocks I love side 2 too, great songs, they flow together perfectly. Fuckin love them and it goes briliantly with the rockers at the beginning. I am off to listen to it now.

Mark
10-16-02 12:27 PM
Nasty Habits All of the above comments about the genius of side two apply, but in addition to the brilliiance of the music, arrangement of songs, and the unbelievable shuffle that Charlie lays down on "Heaven", one must never forget that side two of Tattoo You is the ultimate side of make out music that the Stones and possibly any rock band ever laid down. A joint, some wine, side two of Tattoo You, and thou, as they say. Even Stones deriding college aged indie rock chicks melted in your humble Nasty's arms (back in his more philandering days, before his marriage) when the incredible sonic sensuality of Tattoo You began to caress their pierced ears.

I not only a member of that cult, but am also a preacher, a teacher, and a maja-reacher.

10-16-02 12:46 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
you C10ers should design some sort of "coat of arms" and you could put your maxim (no pun intended) on a scroll around it

Haven't you seen it, SIAie? Go to www.c10.com and check out the merchandise section.

I'm in this cult. Waiting on a Friend was what finally turned this young man into a Stones psycho, during that beautiful, stoned, pussy filled summer of '81. I have never looked back. Except that one time in Chleaveland when Steelie was behind me in the men's room at the RRHOF. Yikes! No thanks dude, I can shake it dry myself.

I wish Think I'm Going Mad had made it onto side two somehow. Didn't that get released as a B-side to Neighbors or some other Tatt song? That is a beaut and fits in musically and I think chronologically with some of the songs. True beaut. "All the highs and lows......"
10-16-02 01:02 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I wish Think I'm Going Mad had made it onto side two somehow. Didn't that get released as a B-side to Neighbors or some other Tatt song? That is a beaut and fits in musically and I think chronologically with some of the songs. True beaut. "All the highs and lows......"

I think it was the b-side to "She Was Hot".

A truly beautiful song. And do my ears misremember or does Mick sing something about smoking a cup of coffee? I always loved that . . .

10-16-02 01:11 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
A truly beautiful song. And do my ears misremember or does Mick sing something about smoking a cup of coffee? I always loved that . . .

Some of its lyrics from Keno's:

You ought to see my shaking hands
I think I've been drinking lots of cups of coffee
I think I've lost my head
I think I should be sacrificed
I think I should be put to rest
Save yourself
And I think I'm going mad
Think I'm going now
Think I'm going crazy
---
But who really knows what Mick says? Its Jagggabonics! (credit nanky)
10-16-02 01:23 PM
Nasty Habits I don't have a copy of that 45 at the store (I checked, and all I have in stock on 45 at the moment is Angie b/w Silver Train and the Miss You/Far Away Eyes joint.

I hope I'm right and Keno is being over literal as usual. But if not, we'll have to chalk this up to yet another Nasty misinterpretation that lead to a sublime dada image that only really exists in my Habituated head.

My Jagbonics can be slightly dyslexic.

See the Highwire thread from a week ago for a complete list.

10-16-02 01:47 PM
Maxlugar The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame had a bathroom?

Damn!

I think I pissed In Yoko's bed for nothing!

Sorry everyone.
10-16-02 02:42 PM
Fiji Joe And I thought I was alone in my dementia. Replace Heaven with Indian Girl and you would have perfection.

Other great sides???

10-16-02 02:49 PM
sirmoonie Whats yellow and sleeps alone?
Page: 1 2