ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Air Canada Centre by Rick with thanks to Brenda, Tony & Rachel
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:

CLICK THE IMAGE AND LISTEN THE ROLLING STONES WEB RADIO SPECIAL!!!

[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WIMPY MICK BY PAL KEITH Return to archive
10-14-02 09:37 AM
CS Nothing new but...

ROLLING Stone KEITH RICHARDS has slammed band mate MICK JAGGER'S solo stuff.

In a frank interview, Keith said Mick's albums had "wimpy songs, wimpy performance, bad recording." The guitarist also revealed he has cheated death. He said: "I've been there three or four times."

10-14-02 10:22 AM
Sir Stonesalot Looks like that came right out of the Rolling Stone interview.
10-14-02 10:53 AM
jb Correct...the only positive thing he said was that they have a "deep" friendship which allows for this type of antagonistic r/s....seems kinda of odd to always be bashing such a "deep" friend.
10-14-02 11:14 AM
Sir Stonesalot I dunno jb. Shouldn't deep friends be able to tolerate each others opinions? Even when they may seem hurtful? I think Mick understands that Keith is just calling it like he sees it. I also think that Keith thinks he is indeed being a good friend by being honest with Mick.

Now, most of the time, things like this are kept between the friends involved...but when those 2 friends happen to be the greatest living songwriting team in Rock & Roll, and 2 of the most famous people on the planet...I guess it's kinda hard to keep this kind of thing out of the papers.

The other thing is...I'm not sure how serious Keith is when he says this stuff. He may have just told Mick, "Hey, for image sake, I'm gonna slag on you in these interviews...stir things up a bit. I don't mean a word of it, just wanna give the gossip papers some juicy stuff to print. Get everybody all worked up. Then we can sit around and laugh at how silly they all are."

Who knows...except for Mick & Keith.
10-14-02 11:22 AM
jb maybe..but I always get the impression that Keith is painfully truthful...I think Mick genuinely does not like the controversy anymore...seems to have mellowed remarkably over the past decade.
10-14-02 12:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot I can certainly understand why Mick would get tired of all the controversy, having lived with it for 40 years now....

HOWEVER!!!

Mick also understands that it's good for business to be in the gossip columns. So he puts up with it....sometimes he even encourages it.

Hell of a life, ain't it.
10-14-02 12:54 PM
stonesmik Why are there always some assholes who have to appease? If Keith says something, why does always have some wiseass to come along and say Keith doesn't mean what he says but he means else!

In fact I hope Keith really means what he says, and I believe he does. Because Keith believes in the Rolling Stones not into solo recordings. I think Keith is pissed off because Mick had to release another solo record just before a Stones tour. What we really need is Rolling Stones records, not solo records.
10-14-02 01:12 PM
jb Please don't attack Sir Stonesalot...
[Edited by jb]
10-14-02 09:41 PM
lin don't think mick gets enough credit for his solo work, she's the boss and wandering spirit - good stuff
10-14-02 10:34 PM
Gimme Shelter Yeah, I think "Wondering Spirit" is Mick's best solo album. Its got some really good songs on it.
10-14-02 10:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot I never said that is what happened Stonesmik. I said that it was a possibility.

None of us knows for 100% certain WHAT is actually going on between the 2 of them. I was just throwing out a possible scenario.

See, I happen to AGREE with what Keith said. I also think that WE are making a bigger deal out of this than Mick n Keith probably are.

Here, maybe this will "appease" you. Perhaps Mick and Keith barely tolerate each other and are only doing this tour for the money.

I doubt it, but it IS possible.
10-15-02 01:14 AM
gypsymofo60 Why are there these Stones fans who are so opposed to SOLO albums? I can't think of any other band where SOLO albums cause such consternation amongst fans, and the main protaginists in The Stones. As Mick says in an old interview,to grow up with this "gang", and expect that this gang will always remain together as it begins, is childish! He also stated; that he refuses to get into an argument with Keith via the media, pity Keith didn't feel the same. And then in another interview Keith says he feels everyone needed to get outside The Stones bubble every once in awhile to get refreshed for the real deal. I love Keith! as a guitarist, as a songwriter, as a solo performer, as a witty, and incisive social commentator, but most of all for just being KEITH. Having said that, I wish he wouldn't slag Mick as he does in the media. It's childish, it's petulant, and worst of all, it's fucking disloyal. They're no different to real brothers in my opinion, and I for one, no matter how wrong I thought my brother might be, would never slag my brother in public.
10-15-02 08:29 AM
Sir Stonesalot Well, I'm not against solo efforts per se. I don't see much point in them, but I'm willing to give em a try. IMO, the only Stone to put out decent solo albums is Ronnie. I don't care much for any of Mick's stuff, and there are only a couple of Keith songs that I think are OK.

Goddess IS dogshit IMO. The knighthood DOES run against the Rolling Stones image, again IMO. Mick ISN'T a very good guitar player...well, not when compared to the people he plays with, once again, IMO.

To me, this isn't really slagging. It's just telling the truth.

Now, I can't speak on the brothers thing. I don't have brothers or sisters, so I have nothing to compare and contrast.
10-15-02 09:21 AM
gypsymofo60 Obviously they are always better as a team, and the solo work will always suffer in comparisson, you're right about Mick's guitar playing, but I see it from the perspective of anybody plays better than I do. I really liked Wandering Spirit, and Talk Is Cheap, but I still prefered Steel Wheels over any solo stuff. Not that it matters now, but I just feel Keith could've been a little more discreet in his criticism of Mick in general.
10-15-02 01:33 PM
stonesmik There are quite some maybes, too many for me. As long as we just got their words from their interviews I don't see no reason why we should doubt they mean what they say.

Keith's arguments may hurt but he's not just babblin', there is a point in them.

About the rest, Sir Stonesalot has said it all in his last post.

quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Well, I'm not against solo efforts per se. I don't see much point in them, but I'm willing to give em a try. IMO, the only Stone to put out decent solo albums is Ronnie. I don't care much for any of Mick's stuff, and there are only a couple of Keith songs that I think are OK.

Goddess IS dogshit IMO. The knighthood DOES run against the Rolling Stones image, again IMO. Mick ISN'T a very good guitar player...well, not when compared to the people he plays with, once again, IMO.

To me, this isn't really slagging. It's just telling the truth.

Now, I can't speak on the brothers thing. I don't have brothers or sisters, so I have nothing to compare and contrast.

About the "brothers and sisters" thing - there can be much love between them, but I also think there is nowhere more fighting than between brothers and sisters, just because they are so similar and they know each other so well. It hurts much more if you see your brother doing the wrong thing than a person far distant from you. Though it's nice to say Keith and Mick are brothers, it's just not true. What would it mean anyway? Better ask Chris Jagger what it is to be Micks brother. But it's true what gypsymofo says, usually brothers and sisters won't bash their brothers and sisters in public. So Mick won't compare Chris' career with his own in public.
10-16-02 02:41 AM
gypsymofo60 Does Chris Jagger have a career? Seems like shades of Mike McGear. In Australia we have a saying; anything that is not the true article,(the real thing), is described as "A CLAYTONS" Chris Jagger has a Claytons music career as far as I can see.
10-17-02 02:07 PM
Mother baby
quote:
jb wrote:
Please don't attack Sir Stonesalot...
[Edited by jb]

Sheez how can you? He's wearing armor.