ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Air Canada Centre by Rick with thanks to Brenda, Tony & Rachel
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:

CLICK THE IMAGE AND LISTEN THE ROLLING STONES WEB RADIO SPECIAL!!!

[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Has anyone on this board ever met Mick or Keith... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10-12-02 09:04 AM
F505 ...and if so also spoken with them? I wondered.
10-12-02 09:40 AM
Boomhauer No, I have never met them.

The closest I've been to musicians was in 1989, when I was 7 years old. I was at the airport in Berlin with my parents and INXS walked right by me and all of these teenage girls were yelling "MIchael, Michael!" and chasing after them. I thought it was weird.
10-12-02 10:04 AM
Riffhard Yes.I partied with Mick in '91 in Atlanta.Smoked a joint with him too!Also,I got to ask the first question at the May 7th press conference.

Riffhard
10-12-02 12:11 PM
parmeda Riff...

What was your question, and what was the answer?

Please share...
10-12-02 01:52 PM
keefnmick I met both of them at a Halloween tour party during the Voodoo Lounge tour. Mick was polite but was trying to get somewhere else and Keith was friendly but completely smashed on Jack Daniels.
10-12-02 02:50 PM
pdmyers [quote]F505 wrote:
...and if so also spoken with them? I wondered.
[/quote

Yes, I've met Mick and Keith both, and spoken with them on separate occasions....
Kat
10-12-02 02:54 PM
Moonisup
quote:
pdmyers wrote:
[quote]F505 wrote:
...and if so also spoken with them? I wondered.
[/quote

Yes, I've met Mick and Keith both, and spoken with them on separate occasions....
Kat

and???
10-12-02 04:53 PM
FPM C10 Ha HA!!!! A chance to tell my Keith story again!

Someone - maybe Cardinal Fang? - suggested I get a bumper sticker that says "Ask me about my Keith story".

I'm always leery of getting an "oh no, not AGAIN!" reaction to this, but then again with the Stones on tour there probably are new readers that don't know the story. So, if you've heard it, read no further!

In September 1999 I went to NYC to see the incredible Tom Waits on the last night of his run at the Beacon Theater. Not only was I completely STOKED to see Tom, who I consider to be second only to Bob Dylan in the "American Genius" category, but I also had a REAL strong feeling Keith was gonna show up. The "No Security" tour was over and Keith had recently jammed onstage in the NY area with Willie Nelson and Sheryl Crow - plus Keith and Tom were old drinking buddies who had recorded and written together several times.

So me and a buncha my friends hunkered down outside the theater drinking a half pint of Jack Daniels from a brown paper sack and then went in. Like a Stones show, it was immediately evident that we were in the coolest place in the universe at that moment. Half the audience were celebrities - my buddy Brownie walked in beside Willem Defoe, and before long Elvis Costello, wearing a goofy straw hat, made an entrance. (I found out later that Elvis went to all 3 of Tom's NYC shows - a true fan). More importantly, people were pointing to the front rows and whispering that Keith was already in his seat. Ah HA, I thought, I KNEW it - Keith's probably gonna sit in on "That Feel" or "Union Square".

The show soon started - no opening act, and Tom entered from the back of the theater, throwing confetti and growling a carnival barker's come-on for a sideshow - "Human oddities! Jo Jo the Wolf-faced Boy!" and so on, a performance piece from the Black Rider album. Then he and his band, featuring Larry "The Mole" Taylor from Canned Heat and Smokey Hormel from Beck's band, pitched into one of the most remarkable evenings I've ever been part of. Tom's stage set consisted of a section of wooden floor for him to stomp on, which would send clouds of dust up to enshroud him, and a huge metal gizmo, one of his home-made junkyard instruments, which he hit exactly ONCE in the 3 hour show. The dim lighting rendered everything into sepia tones, giving one the sense that they'd been transported to sometime at the turn of the last century - say 1899.

The show was fantastic. I knew from internet reports that it would be somewhere around 3 hours long. So when one of my buddies got up to go to the restroom during "Picture In A Frame", I started thinking: "Hmmm. Not a bad idea." Now, anyone who's ever gone to a concert with me, or who read the recent thread on Keno's board about bathroom breaks, knows that I am USUALLY a guy who will MAKE you hold it. "These tickets were $90 and Tom hasn't toured in 12 years! Sit down!" So I should've known something was up when my buddy returned in a few minutes and I started thinking "hmmm....I don't really have to go, but maybe I should." I mean, that is NOT me. But, urged on by unseen forces like the moon draws the tide, I slipped away un-noticed (my seat was on the aisle) and went downstairs to the Men's Room.
I had just finished zipping up and was heading for the door when I looked up and saw that I was nearly walking right into KEITH RICHARDS. I froze with what was probably (no, DEFINITELY) a really dumb expression on my face and
started stuttering. Time was slowed to a crawl and, somehow, simultaneously zipping by at the speed of light. I noticed no distinct details - like did he have fishing tackle in his hair, was he wearing his skull ring, etc - just the overall aura of a guy I'd worshipped since 1969. It was KEITH RICHARDS and he looked just like KEITH RICHARDS! He was wearing black clothing, DARK black, like brand new black jeans are, and I saw from this range that the guy is surprisingly handsome up close, a sort of Humphrey Bogart good looks which don't translate at ALL to photographs. Also, that he is EXACTLY the same height as me. Fairly short, actually. I grabbed his hand and shook it - he glanced down at my hand - in my slo-mo time/space warp, I read that as "HEY. That guy didn't wash his hands!" - then I said "Heeeeeeeeeeeeey, man..." to which he immediately parroted back "Heeeeeey man!" bracketed by laughter at my obvious shock - he moved past me to the urinals and his buddy/bodyguard, a younger guy who was there to watch his back, also started laughing at me - Keith probably runs into this every time he goes anywhere, people turned to stone by his medusa-like gaze - I continued my stammering attempt at small talk - "uh....how....how ya doin'?" (Boy, THAT was good, I thought.) Keith was by this time having a pee, still laughing that hoarse laugh. "Better, NOW," he said, with the timing of a vaudevillian, which cracked his companion up even more. By now it had occurred to me that THIS is every celebrity's gripe - "Christ, I was PEEING and this guy wouldn't let me alone" - and I was determined NOT to be the guy in that story, so I went out to the ante-room and collected my thoughts. I fished a pen out of my pocket but I couldn't find anything for him to sign, so when he came out of the loo I stepped forward with what I had in my hand - my ticket stub. "Keith, could you possibly sign this?" I asked, and he looked down at the stub with just a hint of a frown - like "how am I gonna sign THIS little thing?". I panicked - he's NOT GOING TO SIGN IT!!!! - so I blurted out, "I've seen the Stones ten times in the last two years!", which was the truth, and which made him once again start laughing. "Well, I suppose THAT deserves an autograph," he said as he signed the little blue and white Tom Waits ticket stub. By that time he'd been surrounded by other fans, all of whom started talking to him at once, so I leaned forward, gently took my pen and the stub from his hands, said "thank you" and slipped back to my seat.

I'd been gone about five minutes and none of my friends had even noticed I was gone, so when I started saying "I JUST MET KEITH RICHARDS!!!" they all looked at me like I was daft. So I lit my lighter to illuminate the ticket stub, and to reassure myself that I hadn't had a bit of a flashback. Sure enough, there it was - sloppy and illegible but unmistakably Keith's autograph.

Keith never did play - John Hammond did, Greg Cohen and Marc Ribot did, and Tom did "That Feel", but Keith stayed in his seat.

I'd always wondered just what I would say to Keith if I ever met him, and I realized the first part of the encounter was as dumb as it could be. But later I realized that the LAST thing I said to him was what I'd always wanted to say: "Thank you."
10-12-02 05:07 PM
souldoggie I met and spoke briefly with Mick in 1989, 1990 and 1994.

I've met Keith about six times, beginning in 1988. Once in Indy, in 1994, hanging at the hotel bar with him for quite some time. It was great, no one around for a while and he and I drank screwdrivers, that I offered to pay for, and he gladly excepted.

I met Charlie a couple times. What a gentleman. Once, I gave him a rare old jazz album, and he really seemed to appreciate it. Really a kind spirit.

In 1990, at Wembley, I ate a buffet dinner with Bill and told him that the day before I had gone to Sticky Fingers, and he was geniunely interested in what I thought of the place, the food, etc. I believe it had just opened up recently, at the time.

I guess I didn't really meet him this time, but I remember talking to him via the radio show "Rockline". I asked him a question about Ian Stewert and Chuck Leavell, that he generously answered at length.

I'll never forget the time Keith and his entourage, incl. Steve Jordan, barged into the back stage area, in 1990, with Keith holding a boom box on his shoulder, that was blasting live Stones. He then proceeded to go to the room's stereo system and put on Hendrix's Electric Ladyland CD, blaring Voodoo Chile, the long bluesy version. Then he started drinking the bottle of Rebel Yell I'd given him and he played snooker with Ronnie.

I met Mick Taylor, once, in 1986. He was very quiet and polite and pleasant.
10-12-02 05:27 PM
Miss U. Yes! Both. Charmed!!

<<<------------------
10-12-02 08:06 PM
Mathijs Except for FPM C10's story (what's in a name anyway) which I know is true: all these stories are complete utter bullshit. What a load of crap, what a wishful thinking..."I drank a bottle of Jack Daniels with Keith in 1994"...what a rubbish.

Mathijs
10-12-02 08:18 PM
F505 Great story FPM C10!
10-12-02 08:40 PM
Angiegirl Never. I wouldn't know what to say I guess.
Wait, I once got a question through during an internet chat session with Bill Wyman (in '98 I think it was), haha.
10-12-02 09:21 PM
stonesmik Yes I have met them all, 11 times until now, and I have talked to them a lot: "Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaooooouuuuuuh!!!!!! Woooooooohooooo!!! Rollling Stooooones!!! Rrraaaaaahooooo!!!" I guess they didn't really hear me.
10-12-02 09:26 PM
SERGEI I SHOULD HOPE SO AS MY UNCLES CHARLIE WATTS, NOW YOU ALL KNOW HOW I GOT THE GIG INFORMATION BEFOREHAND!!
10-12-02 09:40 PM
parmeda WTG Sergei! We've got a direct bloodline here?

10-12-02 09:45 PM
Angiegirl That explains a lot Sergei...
10-12-02 09:47 PM
SERGEI NOT DIRECT BLOODLINE, MY MOTHER IS THE SISTER OF SHIRLEY, CHARLIES WIFE
10-12-02 09:49 PM
SERGEI I COULD GET IN BIG TROUBLE FOR TELLING YOU THIS INFORMATION SO PLEASE DON'T TELL ANY BODY CONNECTED WITH THE STONES CAMP I.E STONESDOUG WHO I KNOW HAS CONNECTIONS!!

P.S I'M A BOIT DRUNK
10-12-02 09:54 PM
Angiegirl Now you see what booze does with your mind !!
10-12-02 10:16 PM
BILL PERKS SERGEI,ARE YOU STEVE SHEPPARD?
10-12-02 10:27 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
SERGEI wrote:
I SHOULD HOPE SO AS MY UNCLES CHARLIE WATTS, NOW YOU ALL KNOW HOW I GOT THE GIG INFORMATION BEFOREHAND!!

I was wondering about that! I was thinking "I don't think some random roadie's gonna know the stadium setlist before the Stones really get out there and write it on Charlie's wall..."

Now if it was anyone else I wouldn't believe you, but you've been feeding us the right information for ages, Serge.

Sweet! Is he a nice guy? Did he give you birthday presents and so forth? And the most important question for me - I read Keith's interview in Rolling Stone - can he drive? Keith says he can't.

-tSYX --- Well na-owww we're respected in society...
10-12-02 10:37 PM
MidnightRambler No, it's true! Cha-Cha can't drive. In that TV special from '99 "Chris Evans Meets The Rolling Stones" that aired in the UK, the host mentions it to Charlie. He was like "What do you with them (the cars)?" Charlie's response: "I just sit in them I guess..." (I love that response!)

"Why don't you learn how to drive?" Charlie: "Well...I'm a bit afraid of engines, I suppose..."

Another great response from Charlie was:

HOST: "What do you do at home? Do you read.... do you cut the grass?"

Charlie: "Nothing really....I----'cut grass'??!!" He says it w/ the utmost disgust in his face! "Cut grass??!!" It was great!
10-12-02 10:42 PM
BILL PERKS THAT INTERVIEW SPECIAL WAS FANTASTIC.ALL 4 WERE CANDID AND FUNNY.GREAT NS FOOTAGE FROM CHICAGO
10-13-02 04:43 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Except for FPM C10's story (what's in a name anyway) which I know is true: all these stories are complete utter bullshit. What a load of crap, what a wishful thinking..."I drank a bottle of Jack Daniels with Keith in 1994"...what a rubbish.

Mathijs

What makes you say that? How rude! It's not like people are claiming to have shot the shit with Jesus, Oh Yeah! Me & Jesus, we're like this! I'm sure all these people are straight up! I like their stories, too be quite honest I'd be so afraid of celeb'disapointment, and because I just wouldn't know what to say to them, I'd probably pretend I hadn't seen them if I was to bump into them. I've done it on one, or two occasions, no-one as huge as The Stones, but both times I got, "why didn't you say something?" Like what?....Imagine it, How ya doin' Mick? 'ow's the wife? whoooops! No! good luck to people who've met them.
10-13-02 11:08 AM
souldoggie Well, everything that I wrote about my encounters with the Stones was true. Rebel Yell with Keith backstage at Wembley, August 23, 1990. I brought him the bottle and he was thrilled. And screwdrivers with Keith at the Canterbury (sic?) Hotel bar in Indianapolis, August 9, 1994. Although when Keith ordered, he called it Kettle One and orange juice, I call it a screwdriver. We each had three, and I bought.

souldog
10-13-02 03:21 PM
glimmertwin725 During Pele's farwell to soccer at Giants Stadium I rode the press elevator with Mick Jagger and Andy Warhol. I was only 12 years old at the time ...my cousin was a press level attendant so we got to ride the elevator. It was just me , my dad mick and andy and the elevator operator. Mick was wearing an all white suit and looked boyish and not a large man as my 12 year old eyes remember...I didn't know it was Mick till he got off and the operator and my dad said that was Mick Jagger and I never forgot the moment and became a Stones fan from that day forward !!!!
10-13-02 03:44 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat lol...great stories!
10-13-02 07:05 PM
beer Yeah, if any of you had really met the Stones, Mathijs would have known about it. After all, he knows everything about everything and has the right as an expert, to call you all liars.
10-13-02 09:13 PM
Miss U. Nice to have Sergei here! It seems Charlie these days is the most elusive Stone to get an autograph from...he prolly finds it silly, lol. Does Charlie really let horses roam INSIDE his house??! He really is eccentric!
Page: 1 2 3