ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Portland, Oregon Rose Garden 1st November 2005
© "The Register Guard" with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: TicketBastard in the News Return to archive
16th October 2007 07:52 AM
PartyDoll MEG I've been subjected to this in the last few weeks.....
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds...915102007-1.htm

Federal Court Grants Ticketmaster's Request for Preliminary Injunction Barring RMG Technologies from Facilitating Access to Ticketmaster's Ticketing System

Ticketmaster Hails Ruling Protecting Consumers' Rights To Fair And Equal Access To Event Tickets
October 15, 2007: 04:02 PM EST

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Oct. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- A federal judge in Los Angeles has ordered a Pennsylvania company to stop creating, trafficking in, or facilitating the use of computer programs that allow its clients to circumvent the protection systems in the ticketmaster.com web site. These programs have, in effect, allowed ticket brokers to cut to the front of the line and deprive consumers of fair access to tickets.

The Order issued today by Judge Audrey B. Collins also bars RMG Technologies, Inc., of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, from using information gained from access of Ticketmaster's website to create computer programs designed to circumvent Ticketmaster's copy protection and website regulation systems. RMG's software allows its clients to buy tickets from Ticketmaster faster than Ticketmaster's human customers can. RMG's clients are ticket brokers or suppliers to ticket brokers who use RMG's software to buy tickets they can resell to the public at higher prices. Such actions have blocked consumers from getting those tickets at the "face" price shown on the ticket.

Ticketmaster hailed Judge Collins' ruling as a major victory for the ticketing company and for consumers. Ticketmaster President and CEO Sean Moriarty commented after the ruling, "Ticketmaster is committed to ensuring that consumers have fair and equitable access to tickets. Not only are we doing everything possible to create a secure and positive experience for ticket purchasers, we are making sure that the public knows it can come to the Ticketmaster web site and access the best available seats at the prices set by the event provider. We will not allow others to illegally divert tickets away from fans. We recognize and respect the necessity and reality of a vibrant resale market, but we will not tolerate those who seek an unfair advantage through the use of automated programs."

Ticketmaster also indicated that Judge Collins' issuing of the preliminary injunction against RMG was only the first step in its legal efforts against those using automated programs to illegally access tickets.

"We are pleased with the court's ruling today, and our legal efforts are not stopping here," said Ed Weiss, Ticketmaster General Counsel and a former federal prosecutor. "Anyone using these programs and any company supplying them should know that we and the entire live entertainment industry will not stand for it. We fully support the legitimate reselling of tickets, but those who refuse to follow the rules will be hearing from us."

About Ticketmaster:

Ticketmaster is the world's leading ticketing company, operating in 20 global markets, providing ticket sales, ticket resale services, marketing and distribution through http://www.ticketmaster.com, one of the largest e-commerce sites on the Internet; approximately 6,500 retail outlets; and 20 worldwide call centers. Ticketmaster celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2006 and currently serves more than 9,000 clients worldwide across multiple event categories, providing exclusive ticketing services for hundreds of leading arenas, stadiums, performing arts venues, museums, and theaters. In 2006, the company sold more than 128 million tickets valued at over $7 billion on behalf of its clients. Ticketmaster is headquartered in West Hollywood, California and is an operating business of IAC .

16th October 2007 09:08 AM
gimmekeef Fart in a windstorm...these guys have been in bed with brokers since day one.It guarantees quick sales on overly priced tickets and immediate cash for them.(Convenience fee my ass)This is window dressing and PR to keep the FEDS from fully looking into their bastardly dastardly "business" practices.Tony Soprano could be CEO of these pricks.......
16th October 2007 09:14 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Fart in a windstorm...these guys have been in bed with brokers since day one.It guarantees quick sales on overly priced tickets and immediate cash for them.(Convenience fee my ass)This is window dressing and PR to keep the FEDS from fully looking into their bastardly dastardly "business" practices.Tony Soprano could be CEO of these pricks.......

Yep...He probably is
16th October 2007 11:19 AM
glencar No, Meg, he's fictional...
16th October 2007 11:20 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
glencar wrote:
No, Meg, he's fictional...

Oh don't burst my bubble, Glenny!!!!
16th October 2007 11:54 AM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

Ticketmaster Hails Ruling Protecting Consumers' Rights To Fair And Equal Access To Event Tickets

Also in the news - Michael Cohl welcomes a court ruling enforcing a cap on concert ticket pricing.
16th October 2007 07:24 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Fart in a windstorm...these guys have been in bed with brokers since day one.It guarantees quick sales on overly priced tickets and immediate cash for them.(Convenience fee my ass)This is window dressing and PR to keep the FEDS from fully looking into their bastardly dastardly "business" practices.Tony Soprano could be CEO of these pricks.......

That's quite an accusation. Any proof?
16th October 2007 07:28 PM
Throwaway http://www.trashcity.org/ARTICLES/TICKET.HTM

yes TM sucks.
16th October 2007 10:12 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Dan wrote:

That's quite an accusation. Any proof?

Dan, I grew up in Toronto..a guy by the name of Ballard started a company that grew into this and I've seen it work...The only proof I really have is my less than full wallet..These guys are the Halliburton of showbiz and I think you know it...
16th October 2007 10:21 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Dan, I grew up in Toronto..a guy by the name of Ballard started a company that grew into this and I've seen it work...The only proof I really have is my less than full wallet..These guys are the Halliburton of showbiz and I think you know it...

Ah yes, Harold Ballard, scourge of Maple Leaf Gardens. He once booked the Beatles to play MLG for two shows then he turned up the heat in the building, turned all the water fountains off and charged an arm and a leg for any liquid refreshments at the concessions. I didn't shed a tear when he died, although with current Leaf management, I'm not so sure that he hasn't come back from the dead.
17th October 2007 04:27 AM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

I use Ticketmaster once or twice a year and when I do, it's quite a convenience and well worth the expense for the valuable service they provide. But using them is usually optional for me and most of the time I can manage fine without them.
17th October 2007 05:47 AM
Jumping Jack Avoiding TB and paying market value the day of the show is clearly the best way to go.
17th October 2007 07:06 AM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

would he be the Ballard in BCL (Ballard, Cohl, Labatt)?
17th October 2007 07:40 AM
SweetVirginia It is becoming apparent that all of our ticket troubles are caused by Canadians.

17th October 2007 07:48 AM
PartyDoll MEG Amazing how much Gazza's best friend is involved!! Now he has his "new deal" with his Live Nation, who has been hand in hand with the Ticketbastards for many years.

Oh what a tangled web..
Yep, gimmekeef..it is a whole lot like the Sopranos.....
17th October 2007 08:53 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

would he be the Ballard in BCL (Ballard, Cohl, Labatt)?

Indeed Gazza..the original connection.It was Harold Ballards son and Cohl.The Labatt is the huge Canadian beer company.Their business practices over the years have not allowed any competition and forced bands and local promoters to knuckle under.If the government chases Bill Gates why dont they took a look at these crooks?
17th October 2007 08:54 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
It is becoming apparent that all of our ticket troubles are caused by Canadians.

It appears that despite my Celine Dion and Anne Murray boycotts this continues unabated! eh?
17th October 2007 10:22 AM
gimmekeef Heres the story on BCL....No direct line to Ticketbastard but similar focus on screwing the public through controlling the key venues etc:

Concert Productions International (familiarly, CPI). Major promoter of rock concerts and tours in North America. It was established in Toronto in 1973 as a subsidiary of WBC Productions Ltd by Michael Cohl, William (Bill) Ballard, and David Wolinsky. With the purchase by Cohl and Ballard of Wolinsky's share, and the acquisition of a 45% interest of CPI by John Labatt Ltd, a new parent company, named BCL Entertainment Corp, was established in 1988.
Until 1989 CPI enjoyed what was effectively exclusive access to Maple Leaf Gardens, owned by Bill Ballard's father, Harold Ballard. Under Cohl's direction, and with the Gardens as its base, CPI extended its sphere of influence across Canada through affiliations with Donald K. Donald in Montreal, Perryscope Concert Productions Ltd in Vancouver and other regional promoters. CPI organized many national tours by major rock and pop acts and produced more than 250 concerts and events each year in addition to sporting and theatrical events. With its focus on concert tours, CPI promoted successful tours for the Rolling Stones, David Bowie and Pink Floyd. CPI held a 50% interest in Feyline Presentations of Denver, Col, 1986-91 and also entered into partnerships with presenters in Minnesota and South Carolina. In 1989 it began to acquire international touring rights for groups such as the Rolling Stones, whose 115-concert Steel Wheels tour 1989-90 in Canada, the USA, Europe, and Japan generated gross revenues reaching an unprecedented $300 million.

In Toronto CPI began booking attractions at the CNE Grandstand in 1980 and entered into a similar contractual relationship with the SkyDome in 1989. It also presented artists in several smaller Toronto venues and promoted concerts in other Ontario cities. In 1990 Canadian concerts accounted for about half of some 1000 CPI presentations worldwide. A related BCL Entertainment Corp company, The Brockum Group, has specialized in the merchandizing of T-shirts, programs, etc, for the concert tours.

In 1995 BCL Entertainment sold their concert division to Universal Concerts; the sale also included Concert Productions International, Donald K. Donald Productions and Perryscope Concert Productions to MCA Concerts Canada (now Universal Concerts Canada). CPI underwent a name change to The Next Adventure Inc but it continued to focus on promoting worldwide concert tours such as U2's Pop Mart tour and the Bridges to Babylon, Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge tours for the Rolling Stones. In 1998 the company was then acquired by SFX Entertainment Inc, which produced tours that included Santana, The Who, Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes, Roger Waters, Dave Matthews, Pearl Jam, Britney Spears, NSYNC, and Tina Turner. SFX was in turn bought by Clear Channel Entertainment in 1999.

17th October 2007 10:31 AM
gimmekeef Here is the Ticketbastard story and how the took advantage of the market to gain dominance and started the ticket price gouging and note how they dealt with emerging competition such as Powerstation.If thats not illegal I dont know what is:

Early Years

Ticketmaster was started by two Arizona State University students who were looking for a solution to a problem they encountered when buying concert tickets. At the time, the buyer of a ticket was forced to select from the seats that had been allotted to the particular vendor from whom he or she was purchasing the ticket. If the vendor was nearly sold out, the buyer might be forced to buy bad seats even though better seats were available through other ticket sellers. Melees occasionally erupted when ticket buyers, after standing in line for hours at one place, found that the vendor was sold out or that better seats were available elsewhere. The system also was inefficient for promoters and owners of venues, who often had difficulty selling all of their tickets, despite unmet demand.

In 1978, the two budding entrepreneurs developed a solution to the problem. They created an innovative computer program that networked several computers in such a way that a person buying an event ticket at a box office could quickly select from the total reserve of seats available. Thus efficient computerized ticket vending was born, and Ticketmaster--the company that sprouted from student innovation--became one of several small vendors in the late 1970s and early 1980s that pioneered the industry. When it was starting out, in fact, Ticketmaster was just one of many small ticket-vending companies competing for a small share of the industry; the business had come to be dominated by ticket distribution giant Ticketron. Nevertheless, Ticketmaster, with its unique computer-based vending system, managed to increase its ticket sales to about $1 million annually by 1981. That amount was still less than one percent of the business controlled by Ticketron, however.

Ticketmaster's fate was changed in 1982, when Chicago investor Jay Pritzker purchased it. Pritzker, the wealthy owner of the Hyatt Hotel chain, paid $4 million for the entire company. He immediately brought in Fred Rosen as chief executive to manage the operation. Rosen, an attorney and former stand-up comic, brought energy and vision to the enterprise. He believed that the future of the ticket industry was in concert sales, rather than sporting events, in part because sporting event-goers often were able to circumvent service fees charged by ticket sellers by purchasing season tickets. But his feeling also arose from his observations about the dynamics of the concert industry. Indeed, if concert fans wanted to see a show badly enough, they would buy on impulse and would be willing to pay higher prices for tickets. Furthermore, the giant lines that formed at box offices for rock concerts indicated a great need for Ticketmaster's computerized service.

Aside from new computer and information technologies, other forces were at work in the ticket industry in the early 1980s that boded well for an innovator like Ticketmaster. In fact, the rock concert industry, among other entertainment businesses, was becoming much more complicated. Prior to the 1970s, bands were paid a lump sum--usually in cash just a few minutes before they went on stage--by the promoter of the concert. The promoter would agree beforehand to pay the band, say, $20,000, and any money left over would be used to pay the promoter's expenses and profit.

In the 1970s, however, bands started demanding more. They started charging minimum appearance fees, for example, and wanted a cut of the money generated from concessions and parking. The demands, in part, were the result of a feeling by top bands that promoters were taking advantage of them. But the increased cost of traveling and putting on a show also contributed the bands' desire for better compensation; fans came to expect much more in the way of expensive sound systems and special effects, for example.

One result of the new demands was that, after a concert, the band's manager and the promoter typically negotiated, or argued, about exactly how much the promoter and other involved parties would be paid. The new system increased the bargaining power of the bands, eventually boosting their take to 75 percent or more of the gross receipts. Meanwhile, the promotion industry was pinched. Many promoters saw their profit margins deteriorate to as little as one percent, despite the fact that they were still bearing much of the risk of a failed concert. To get the big name bands, however, promoters had to be willing to accept that risk and honor many of the group's requirements.

A New Strategy in the Late 1970s and the 1980s

That was the environment still evolving when Rosen took the helm at the fledgling Ticketmaster. Realizing the folly of trying to compete with the mammoth Ticketron using conventional industry tactics, he devised a strategy that exploited the frustrations of the promoters. He effectively offered to limit inside charges--the money taken from promoters and facility owners--thus reducing the promoter's risk. He would accomplish this by raising service charges on individual ticket sales and giving promoters a percentage of the proceeds. In return, the promoters agreed to give Ticketmaster the exclusive rights to ticketing for their shows. To boost service fees, Rosen implemented new sales techniques, particularly telephone sales service, which gave customers an alternative to standing in line. For the convenience, Ticketmaster was able to charge as much as a 30 percent premium, or higher in some instances.

Many promoters gave exclusive rights to Ticketmaster. Indeed, aside from guaranteed fees, the promoters benefited from Ticketmaster's state-of-the-art ticketing system. The company's computers could sell 25,000 tickets in just a few minutes, if necessary, which substantially reduced the promoter's advertising and related costs and improved customer satisfaction with the overall event. The arrangement worked so well that Ticketmaster eventually was able to secure long-term contracts with several major promoters for handling ticketing for all of their events. Promoters also viewed Ticketmaster as preferable alternative to the giant Ticketron, which many promoters believed had become arrogant and sloppy.

Despite steady gains, Ticketmaster lost money in the late 1970s and early 1980s as it scrambled to implement its expensive strategy. By the mid-1980s, though, the company was posting profits. To boost sales and market share, Ticketmaster began buying out smaller competitors in an effort to broaden its reach into major cities. It acquired Datatix/Select-A-Seat in Denver, for example, and SEATS in Atlanta. As it bought up more companies and drove others out of business, the number of competitors in the industry declined. At the same time, Ticketron's supremacy was rapidly waning. Aside from complacency, part of Ticketron's problem was that it lacked the investment capital afforded by Ticketmaster's deep-pocketed owner. Its ticketing systems soon became obsolete in comparison with those in use at Ticketmaster.

By the late 1980s, Ticketmaster had become a top player in the ticketing business and Ticketron was scurrying to duplicate Rosen's successful revenue-sharing strategy. But it was too late; Ticketmaster had mastered the recipe and was rapidly increasing the number and size of its contracts. In fact, Ticketmaster's relationship with, and control over, its promoters had evolved to the point where Ticketmaster was deeply entwined in the promotion business. That involvement was evidenced by a relationship in Seattle that finally ended in a lawsuit. In 1989, Ticketmaster made a loan and credit line guarantee valued at $500,000 to two of the area's top promoters. The promoters used the money to start a new operation promoting concerts in The George, a facility in central Washington. In that same year, one of the promoters launched another venture, PowerStation, to sell tickets in competition with Ticketmaster. Enraged Ticketmaster executives responded by withholding cash from the promoter's ticket sales through Ticketmaster. The promoter sued and finally settled with Ticketmaster out of court, but the PowerStation was shuttered and both promoters left the concert business.

Market Dominance in the Early 1990s

By the end of the 1980s, Ticketmaster was selling more than $500,000 worth of tickets annually. Ticketron was still considered an industry power, but its status was diminished and its long-term prospects were dismal. The only other competition consisted of a smattering of local and regional companies struggling to combat Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster finally delivered the crowning blow to Ticketron in 1991, when it purchased some of the company's assets and effectively rendered the company no more than a lesson in corporate history. Questions were raised about whether or not the buyout would give Ticketmaster a monopoly on the industry, but the U.S. Department of Justice approved the deal. With Ticketron out of its way, Ticketmaster was virtually dominant and its sales began rising rapidly toward the $1 billion mark.

Because it had so much control in the ticket industry, Ticketmaster came under fire from numerous critics following the demise of Ticketron. Some fans complained that Ticketmaster was raising its fees, reflecting a monopoly on the industry. Similarly, some promoters argued that Ticketmaster wielded too much power and that it was willing to abuse that power to get its way. Finally, some rock bands complained that Ticketmaster was gouging their profits with excessive fees, knowing that the bands had nowhere else to turn. Ticketmaster countered, citing rising operating costs and relatively modest overall company profits. Still, criticism continued.

Band discontent with Ticketmaster's tactics culminated in one of the most visible disputes with Ticketmaster on record: a complaint filed with the Justice Department by the popular rock band Pearl Jam, alleging that Ticketmaster engaged in monopolistic practices. Pearl Jam wanted Ticketmaster to drop its service fees to $1.80 per ticket, but the company refused to drop below $2.50. Pearl Jam rejected the offer and threatened to work without Ticketmaster. The band planned to find venues, such as fairgrounds and racetracks, that were not subject to Ticketmaster's exclusive contracts. Their efforts eventually failed and their concert tour fell apart. It was then that the band filed the complaint, and the Justice Department launched an investigation.

Ticketmaster argued that from about $1 billion worth of tickets sold in 1993, it generated revenues of $191 million in 1993, only $7 million of which was earned as net profit. That amounted to less than ten cents in profit per ticket. Critics complained that Ticketmaster was simply concealing the profitability of the business, but Rosen and his fellow executives were adamant that the industry was still competitive. 'Fifteen years ago, there was another company everybody said had a monopoly--Ticketron,' said Larry Solters, Ticketmaster spokesperson, in the July 31, 1994 News & Observer. He added, 'Ticketmaster did ticketing better. And I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else comes up with a better system someday. There are a million ideas out there. ... It's not that tough.'

After posting record sales and profits in 1993, Ticketmaster's fate was changed again when Paul Allen beat out several big media players in a bid to purchase controlling interest in the company. The 40-year-old Allen, who had gained fame as the cofounder of Microsoft, paid an estimated $300 million for his stake. Following his departure from the software giant, he had assembled an interesting portfolio of investments, many of which were related to the emerging information highway. He also owned the Portland Trailblazers basketball team and a charitable foundation, among other interests. Allen retained Rosen as CEO, but he had new plans for the company. In fact, he wanted to increase its sales threefold to fivefold within five years and expand into different distribution avenues.

Ticketmaster sold a whopping 52 million tickets to entertainment and sporting events in 1994 and captured about $200 million in revenues. Having nearly cornered the ticket market, it was setting its sights on several other media-related ventures. The company already was distributing a regional monthly events guide to about 600,000 customers, and it planned to use that as a base for creation of a new entertainment magazine. Ticketmaster also was working on a new on-line service, hoping to position itself as a one-stop shopping center for entertainment and event needs.

The company launched its new magazine, Live!, in February of 1996. Critics saw the publication as a thinly veiled attempt to brighten Ticketmaster's tarnished image. The magazine field was definitely a difficult one to break into, and Live! lost money from the start, costing its owners $11 million in the first two years. Other ventures introduced during 1996 included a hotel and airline reservation service, Ticketmaster Travel and Ticketmaster Online. The latter was an instant success, topping $3 million a month in revenues within a short time.

17th October 2007 12:49 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Indeed Gazza..the original connection.It was Harold Ballards son and Cohl.The Labatt is the huge Canadian beer company.Their business practices over the years have not allowed any competition and forced bands and local promoters to knuckle under.If the government chases Bill Gates why dont they took a look at these crooks?

Did you read the article you posted? The government DID take a look. Some feel Microsoft was being punished for it's success and based on the article you posted, that's Ticketmaster's issue as well. The most key statement among others such as "innovation" is

Indeed, if concert fans wanted to see a show badly enough, they would buy on impulse and would be willing to pay higher prices for tickets.

And if you think tickets are expensive now and difficult to obtain then wait until the federal government gets involved. I do just fine on my own, I don't need Uncle Sam holding my hand.
17th October 2007 01:03 PM
gimmekeef Yeah I read it...and I still find the way they have manipulated the industry and raised fees to ridiculous levels as bs.The feds wont bother em cause no one other than Pearl Jam has the balls to fuck with these guys.You have the option in a large market of getting tix at the venue for good prices and I'm glad you can.Not everyone is as fortunate....
17th October 2007 01:19 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Yeah I read it...and I still find the way they have manipulated the industry and raised fees to ridiculous levels as bs.The feds wont bother em cause no one other than Pearl Jam has the balls to fuck with these guys.You have the option in a large market of getting tix at the venue for good prices and I'm glad you can.Not everyone is as fortunate....

The great thing about capitalism is there is always the choice not to buy if the price isn't right. Everyone is that fortunate.

The concert industry is full of manipulation. It's how everybody, not just Ticketmaster gets paid. Jeez, your average Stones tour involves manipulation of the highest order. See how Ticketmaster helped the artists gain an edge over the promotors? Any federal government involvement shouldn't single out Ticketmaster for it's role but also artists and promoters for theirs.
17th October 2007 02:04 PM
pdog Dan is 100% correct. I like him don't like the way the industry works, but it is not just TM. and like him, I rarely use TM, and if i do, i realize I'm making the choice, b/c i have many options to buy tickets, and save money.
I think people for get that concert tickets are perishable items. Milk has a date on it too, just like that you can't sell it after its date, so it is always a buyers market, and there is seldom a true sold out event. So anyone who has a ticket for sale for a show, including TM, knows that it will be spoiled milk after the date... and I don't feel bad, in fact, I feel pretty good when I buy a way below face value ticket, I just saved someone from drinking sour milk.
17th October 2007 02:22 PM
gimmekeef Well lets drink to TM then ......
17th October 2007 02:56 PM
PartyDoll MEG Ticket brokering has gone on forever and is a fact of life.

I don't go to venues without a ticket..especially out of town ones....Just me

The software being used by the scalpers/brokers/underthe table TM croonies is preventing me ..JoeSchmo...from being able to procure tickets in the legitimate way. When you get on ticketmaster exactly at 10:00am, put in your request, spell the stupid word you can't read, and then watch your "please wait while we process your request" time go from 2 minutes to 1 minute to 11 minutes, you know you have just been screwed by all those brokers who have jumped ahead of you and will have the ticket you should have been offered listed on stubhub in less than 30 minutes for double the price.

That is my gripe. All those pop ups everyone saw, who used Internet Explorer in the last few week trying to get Bruce tickets or Hanah Montana or whatever..were directly caused from the software used by scalpers to jump ahead...

What's the answer? Make the software available to everyone so we all have equal chances? Nope..someone will still figure a way to manipulate the system and make their money

Go figure.....

17th October 2007 03:06 PM
gimmekeef Meg..its never been about the music....If its not TM its some other hustler screwin us...Cant see it changing as we've all just reluctantly adapted in our own ways...Some wait and get deals at the venue while others pay the piper.A friend tried to get tickets to some teenie show..was online at 9:55 ...never got a shot but 3 mins after 10 am tix were up on ebay and the broker sites...
17th October 2007 03:45 PM
Dan
quote:
pdog wrote:
Dan is 100% correct. I like him don't like the way the industry works, but it is not just TM. and like him, I rarely use TM, and if i do, i realize I'm making the choice, b/c i have many options to buy tickets, and save money.
I think people for get that concert tickets are perishable items. Milk has a date on it too, just like that you can't sell it after its date, so it is always a buyers market, and there is seldom a true sold out event. So anyone who has a ticket for sale for a show, including TM, knows that it will be spoiled milk after the date... and I don't feel bad, in fact, I feel pretty good when I buy a way below face value ticket, I just saved someone from drinking sour milk.

I was going to go see U.S.S.A. at the Knitting Factory last night but got a MySpace bulletin from Safari Sam's that said for the Black Francis show the first 50 people to say "Sam invited me" get in for free. Great show too. Some venues don't like being stuck with sour milk either.
17th October 2007 06:13 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Labatt's is, sadly, no longer a Canadian company. It was bought out by Interbrew of the Netherlands. So we can bloody well blame the Dutch for our ticket prices.
17th October 2007 06:56 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

Ticket brokering has gone on forever and is a fact of life.

I don't go to venues without a ticket..especially out of town ones....Just me

The software being used by the scalpers/brokers/underthe table TM croonies is preventing me ..JoeSchmo...from being able to procure tickets in the legitimate way. When you get on ticketmaster exactly at 10:00am, put in your request, spell the stupid word you can't read, and then watch your "please wait while we process your request" time go from 2 minutes to 1 minute to 11 minutes, you know you have just been screwed by all those brokers who have jumped ahead of you and will have the ticket you should have been offered listed on stubhub in less than 30 minutes for double the price.

That is my gripe. All those pop ups everyone saw, who used Internet Explorer in the last few week trying to get Bruce tickets or Hanah Montana or whatever..were directly caused from the software used by scalpers to jump ahead...

What's the answer? Make the software available to everyone so we all have equal chances? Nope..someone will still figure a way to manipulate the system and make their money

Go figure.....

That's exactly how I lost out. I was online the minute tickets went on sale for Springsteen. Everything was going fine until those pop-ups came out of nowhere. I've used Ticketmaster plenty of times but this was a first. By rights I should have gotten pretty decent seats for this concert. Instead I've got nothing except the dim hope of a ticket drop and no doubt standing outside MSG tomorrow night looking to buy a pair of tickets.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)