ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Portland, Oregon Rose Garden 1st November 2005
© "The Register Guard" with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Do superstars still need record labels? Return to archive
13th October 2007 12:07 PM
The jinn, my friend. Note post below artical.

quote:
Do superstars still need record labels? By ALEX VEIGA, AP Business Writer
Fri Oct 12, 7:13 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Prince freed himself from record labels years ago. Paul McCartney, Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails have followed. Now the Material Girl appears to be kissing her big-name record company goodbye for a cool $120 million.

Could U2 be next? Justin Timberlake? Coldplay? Do superstars even need traditional multiyear album contracts when CD sales are plummeting and fans are swiping tons of music for free online, or tuning in to their favorite bands via YouTube, MySpace and other Internet portals?

"There's a prevailing wisdom that many established acts don't need a record label anymore," said Bruce Flohr, an executive at Red Light Management, which represents artists such as Dave Matthews Band and Alanis Morissette, and ATO Records, home to David Gray, Gomez and Crowded House, among others.

"This is the new frontier. This is the beginning of a new era for the music business," Flohr said.

Executives at the four major record labels would not comment on the record for this story. But several noted privately that their companies are still the best at artist development, promotion and physical distribution of their product — something even big acts can't entirely do without.

The four majors are Warner Music Group Corp., Vivendi's Universal Music Group, EMI Group PLC, and Sony BMG Music Entertainment, a joint venture of Sony Corp. and Bertelsmann AG. They accounted for more than 88 percent of all U.S. music album sales this year.

Still, some headliners are becoming convinced they have the clout to change the rules.

Madonna is said to be close to signing a recording and touring deal with concert promoter Live Nation Inc. after turning down an offer from her longtime label at Warner Music Group Corp.

Under terms of the new 10-year deal, Madonna, 49, would receive a signing bonus of about $18 million and a roughly $17 million advance for each of three albums. Live Nation also would have to pay $50 million in cash and stock to promote each Madonna tour.

Warner Music just couldn't afford to pay that much to re-sign Madonna, Michael Savner, an analyst with Bank of America, said in a research note.

Meanwhile, Radiohead created a stir — and plenty of publicity — when the British rockers disclosed last week they would bypass signing a new deal with a record label and make their new album available online, letting fans decide how much they wanted to pay to download it.

Earlier this year, Paul McCartney signed with Hear Music, a startup label launched by coffee retailer Starbucks Corp. and Concord Music Group, rather than going to a major.

Even the Eagles are going it alone with their upcoming album, "Long Road Out of Eden." The group, which has sold more than 120 million albums worldwide, will release the album exclusively through Wal-Mart stores.

The trend had Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor exulting over being "free of any recording contract with any label" in a recent post on his Web site.

"I have been under recording contracts for 18 years and have watched the business radically mutate from one thing to something inherently very different, and it gives me great pleasure to be able to finally have a direct relationship with the audience as I see fit and appropriate," he wrote.

Music industry insiders say the bids for independence only make sense for the most popular acts or those with devout fans who fill concert seats, buy T-shirts and seek out their music.

"These artists are in the position to basically set their own rules and set their own course," said Ted Cohen, managing partner of media consulting firm Tag Strategic and a longtime record label executive.

Meanwhile, social-networking sites and Internet distribution are making it possible for lesser-known and unsigned bands to boost their profiles and sell CDs.

"The game used to be really simple," Flohr said. "You get your record played on radio, you get your face on Rolling Stone (magazine), and you get on 'Saturday Night Live.'

"Now, it's you put your video on YouTube, you get your MySpace page happening, you do your deal with Facebook, you tour ... all these things add up, hopefully, to a successful record."

Some established major acts are using the same tactics as their new albums post lackluster sales but their concert tours keep selling out.

The strategy doesn't help record companies. The industry has seen a 14 percent drop in the number of CDs sold in the U.S. compared with the same time last year, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Sales of digital tracks online are up 46 percent over the same period, but have yet to offset the industry's losses during the past decade.

To adapt, the major labels are trying to cut deals with artists that go beyond album sales and encompass income from concert tickets, T-shirts, music publishing and other sources.

New bands with their eyes on superstardom still need the deep pockets of the major labels to pay for the promotion, marketing and distribution necessary to get heard above the din of countless other acts.

Even superstars can use the boost.

Take Prince. Famous for scribbling "slave" on his cheek during a bitter dispute with Warner Bros. Records in the early 1990s, he has released most of his music over the Internet during the past 10 years while striking CD distribution and marketing deals with different major labels to get copies of his albums in stores.

Radiohead has said they want to get their latest album in stores in a few months and are said to be shopping for a possible major label distribution deal, if not a multiple album contract.

And it's widely expected that Live Nation will have to strike a distribution deal with an established label to handle promotion and get Madonna's upcoming albums in stores.

In theory, that could lead Live Nation back to Warner Music, home of Warner Bros. Records, where Madonna signed as a new artist in 1984.

"It comes down to, do you need a label? Possibly not. Do you need the expertise that a label traditionally brought? Absolutely," Cohen said.

Despite the turmoil in the industry, the major record companies continue to exert considerable influence in the marketplace.

Major labels are not likely to disappear or become irrelevant, although the role they play might change as digital music overtakes CDs and other physical formats, Flohr said.

"I don't think this is the death of anything," Flohr said. "I actually think this is the rebirth of all of us."

I am curious. Is this article saying that “labels” are simply distribution centers for established acts? Were do you buy your CDs? I have bought 2 actual artist CDs in the past 5 years. I would have bought one more; however, my local Starbucks did not carry the CD as planned. I think there is one other I have been meaning to pick . Where do you buy your CDs?
I keep meaning to buy a MP3 player so I can listen to audio when I bop around. However, every time I have went to buy a MP3 player it seemed complicated and I could not pick one. I am still looking for the one that says {Easy add! easy delete! Holds more than 4 hours worth of audio. Compatible with stick drives!} Anyway, who buys portable CD players anymore? Do they even exist? Isn’t cheaper anyway to put music on stick drives? Anyway.... I will impulse buy a CD from some random musician selling wares from the guitar case. I always buy one IF I go to a show. Or, snag one from a display stand on my regular route. The last one of those was “A happy Mozart Christmas” I keep meaning to put my collection on a stick drives (I do have a lot of music CDs many have come from friends , I guess you would call them letters of sorts or a mix with meaning.

If given a choice, I would buy MP3 stick drives that hold the album, as CDs are cumbersome. I listen to actual airwaves radio sometimes and usually always in a car. And for radios I go to what ever artist page or winamp sometimes yahoo too.

I babbled on.... but the question is where do these CDs get distributed to? And if you buy CDs where do you personally get yours?

Oh and after reading what I wrote, Can regular CDs be played on an MP3 player and if not.... Why the hell would I buy any more CDs?

13th October 2007 12:43 PM
gimmekeef Well as MP3's are compressed and we use cdr's to burn lossless WAV/FLAC/SHN files then I see a need for them until another media replaces them....Or jump drives can hold and support lossless codecs..
13th October 2007 12:51 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Well as MP3's are compressed and we use cdr's to burn lossless WAV/FLAC/SHN files then I see a need for them until another media replaces them....Or jump drives can hold and support lossless codecs..

Can they be stuck in and played? while bopping around?
13th October 2007 12:58 PM
fireontheplatter i don't buy brand new cds anymore...
i buy used ones for 1/2-1/4th the price
only if i am absolutly hell bent will i buy a new one....like if i really really really really had to have, bridges to babylon.
i have someone who makes me copies. it saves me a lot and i have leftover cash for beer and wine.
13th October 2007 01:24 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i don't buy brand new cds anymore...
i buy used ones for 1/2-1/4th the price
only if i am absolutly hell bent will i buy a new one....like if i really really really really had to have, bridges to babylon.
i have someone who makes me copies. it saves me a lot and i have leftover cash for beer and wine.

I have never bought any used ones(well maybe not never, I do enjoy nosing at flea markets and yard sales .most of mine by the time I am trough with them are ready for arts and craft projects. I do have one CD from Russia that is starting to wear and I got to get that on the computer.
13th October 2007 04:56 PM
robpop Music sounds so much better when it is stolen.
13th October 2007 06:03 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
robpop wrote:
Music sounds so much better when it is stolen.

You are not the only one with those ethics.

[Edited by The jinn, my friend.]
13th October 2007 07:37 PM
fireontheplatter i went to a lawn sale today and found a perfectly good copy of jethro tulls record album, aqualung. inside was the origional lyrics sheet. that made me more happy tham some crummy overpriced cd. this record was done in 1971.

i paid 35 cents for this record.
[Edited by fireontheplatter]
13th October 2007 07:50 PM
BONOISLOVE I say: we all need someone to hold hands with.
13th October 2007 09:39 PM
pdog record labels are only good for physical distribution of the product... which today, is becoming less physical and more digital.
and they've never been with it, as far as welcoming new technolifgies... The industry tried making DAT's illegal, and before that cassettes... Instead of embracing the new world they fight it, and have been their own demise...
Rock and roll itself, will survive... This I know, b/c as I type this a few 19 and 20 year old friends of mine are making good awful rock and roll noise...
13th October 2007 10:08 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i went to a lawn sale today and found a perfectly good copy of jethro tulls record album, aqualung. inside was the origional lyrics sheet. that made me more happy tham some crummy overpriced cd. this record was done in 1971.

A tad more than its worth...
13th October 2007 10:15 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

A tad more than its worth...

should i have haggled?

shit, i am happy just to have the origional lyric/sheet page. that alone to me is priceless.

everybody say owww
14th October 2007 08:02 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i went to a lawn sale today and found a perfectly good copy of jethro tulls record album, aqualung. inside was the origional lyrics sheet. that made me more happy tham some crummy overpriced cd. this record was done in 1971.

Green label or blue label?
14th October 2007 10:18 PM
Soldatti I only bought 3 CD's this year (including Jagger's best of), down from 7-8 last year and down from 13-15 two years ago. Let's not talk about free music from internet this year, not less than 100 albums. Thanks Bitorrent.
14th October 2007 10:31 PM
Paranoid_Android I paid about 3 dollars for the new RADIOHEAD CD...they asked me how much I wanted to pay...I checked my account...I gave them all but a dollar...

THE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN!!!

No...bands DON'T NEED a record lable...RADIOHEAD sold over 4 MILLION downloads leading up to the day of release!!!
16th October 2007 02:06 AM
IanBillen
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Well as MP3's are compressed and we use cdr's to burn lossless WAV/FLAC/SHN files then I see a need for them until another media replaces them....Or jump drives can hold and support lossless codecs..

True Lossless meaning "no audio cut out in the wave form itself or in the DB of certain frequencies". Lossy meaning this would be extracted and then the audio compressed.

Mp3's sound kinda too "digital" at times because of this lossy compression in order to fit more songs into a smaller storage space like an i-pod. Yes, I can hear the difference and so can most audio conscious folks.

But the younger generation will take lossy MP3's due to easy (and many times pirated) internet accessability to these mp3's and many do not even know of the difference because all they play are mp3's and are used to it. That is all a lot of them have come to know.

*You can convert your songs on CD to mp3's by home computer but you loose some fullness and thickness to the sound wheather you care or not. So it is a compromise. I buy my CD's from an independent record store down the road. Independent meaning they are kind of a mom and pop shop and are not national record mart is all. I do NOT reccommend buying from Colombia house or those other "buy 12 CD's for a penny" companies because for some reason, the audio quality on those does not sound quite as good as when buying from a regular place and the packaging is often flimsy compared to the regualr CD packages. I do not know why or how but both of these aspects are true.

What distinctively differentiates a major lable and a "true independednt" are two things.

1. Majors have the ability to release an album and have it distributed all over the world in days through major distribution contracts they have with shipping companies. True Indies do not have that kind of distribution capability.

2. Majors have much more advertising money (magazines, websites, commercials etc.) and money to pay the radio stations off (which is considered illegal by the way), or fund the stations in some way (legally) to get them to entice the stations to play their release.

Superstars rely on the majors to keep their name alive and most majors can offer more to an already established superstar to record under their name where as a true indie label would not have the pull or the cash to offer a major superstar over the major.

But that does NOT mean you cannot make a load of cash recording under an indie lable. The major labels just have more to offer up front and already have the reputation so the major superstars almost always sign with them.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
16th October 2007 10:25 AM
MrPleasant They need to make good music.
16th October 2007 10:46 AM
gimmekeef Any of us older folks who grew up with analog vinyl know there is a difference with digital sound....But unless you heard it you'd be in the dark.Besides kids today and their hip hop....fuck make that an mp9 so compressed it is rendered unlisteneable.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)