ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Portland, Oregon Rose Garden 1st November 2005
© "The Register Guard" with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Do you like the 10 minutes songs???? Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th October 2007 11:21 AM
real wild child I know it depends of the artist/group,their music,etc,but do you like those kind of songs??? Or do you prefer something about 3,4 minutes that blows your mind...I must say Midnight Rambler (obviously live version) and Free Bird are the best What`s your opinion and your favorites...
12th October 2007 11:34 AM
gimmekeef One of the original long songs was back on Aftermath....Goin Home...They can be a tad tedious but some when in the right mood are really good...High Tide Green Grass by Outlaws is another good one...Hendrix Voodoochile etc...Shine On You Crazy Diamond....
12th October 2007 11:53 AM
guitarman53 One of the all time long songs "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" in the late 60's was tedious, it took up a whole side on a record, Grateful Dead stuff I didn't like, mainly because they'd be stoned & make it up as they went along, like each song was 20 minutes.
But there are a lot of long songs I love, as long as their interesting, like the Stones, the songs already mentioned too, a long song has to hold my interest.
12th October 2007 12:05 PM
Saint Sway at Allman Brothers concerts we call the 10 minute songs "the short tunes"
12th October 2007 01:00 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
at Allman Brothers concerts we call the 10 minute songs "the short tunes"

Fuck back in the 70's the Allmans would take 10 minutes just finishing a song...that long guitar drone and double drum beat never wanted to end....
12th October 2007 01:15 PM
Saint Sway hell yeah

when I see an Allmans or Crowes set with only a few songs in it - I'm like damn they must of jammed out last night with twenty mintute tuners
12th October 2007 01:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels American Pie?

12th October 2007 02:32 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
American Pie?

I'll never forget being at a James Gang concert back in '71 I believe, at Massey Hall, here in Toronto, there was this folk singer singing this song (this was before the song was well 'known)& he got booed of the stage, I remember this guy yelling out "Get the Fuck of the stage" & I remember him going on about American Pie while singing, but all the people there were waiting for The James Gang, this was when Joe Walsh was in the band.
12th October 2007 02:38 PM
mojoman dazed&confused
echoes
nantucket sleighride
mountain jam
dark star
machine gun
down by the river
cowgirl in the sand.....
12th October 2007 02:49 PM
Joey
quote:
mojoman wrote:
dazed&confused
echoes
nantucket sleighride
mountain jam
dark star
machine gun
down by the river
cowgirl in the sand.....

mojo ...................

You are indeed the ' Chosen One ' !!!!!

12th October 2007 04:11 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Joey wrote:

mojo ...................

You are indeed the ' Chosen One ' !!!!!

Joey,
***if*** and when*** the Mule headline the Quest we shall smoke the White Widow together... and dose... two tabs each...

I'm talkin "mighty high"

and as always....

remember....

happy Fry-Day

chiba - chiba
12th October 2007 04:27 PM
pdog The Ramones wrote really long song, they just played them fast!!!
12th October 2007 04:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

I'll never forget being at a James Gang concert back in '71 I believe, at Massey Hall, here in Toronto, there was this folk singer singing this song (this was before the song was well 'known)& he got booed of the stage, I remember this guy yelling out "Get the Fuck of the stage" & I remember him going on about American Pie while singing, but all the people there were waiting for The James Gang, this was when Joe Walsh was in the band.

LOL. When I went back to college in 85, I was 33 at the time, I spent a whole night alone in a dorm room with an 18 year old coed beautiful young lady....whom I was hoping to fuck...I mean have sex with. Anyway we drank plenty of wine and smoked plenty of weed and listened to that song all night. She kept playing that song over and over again, commenting on how great it was. I never got laid that night but I did kinda memorize the lyrics to that song.
12th October 2007 04:33 PM
pdog
quote:

LOL. When I went back to college in 85, I was 33 at the time, I spent a whole night alone in a dorm room with an 18 year old coed beautiful young lady....whom I was hoping to fuck...I mean have sex with. Anyway we drank plenty of wine and smoked plenty of weed and listened to that song all night. She kept playing that song over and over again, commenting on how great it was. I never got laid that night but I did kinda memorize the lyrics to that song.

Damn, 33 and still a virgin?
12th October 2007 04:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
pdog wrote:
Damn, 33 and still a virgin?

That happened was 20 years ago. But I remenber it because it kind of went down the way I've just described. Every time I hear that American Pie song I think about that night. I had just got back from living abroad for five years and decided to go back to school. Alot of those "kids" I went to school with then are still friends today.
12th October 2007 04:45 PM
pdog
quote:

That happened was 20 years ago. But I remenber it because it kind of went down the way I've just described. Every time I hear that American Pie song I think about that night. I had just got back from living abroad for five years and decided to go back to school. Alot of those "kids" I went to school with then are still friends today.

So when did you lose your virginity, and what was his name?
12th October 2007 04:45 PM
Dan
quote:

Listening to that song over and over again would be enough to make me go limp.
12th October 2007 04:46 PM
Dan Midnight Rambler yes, most others no.
12th October 2007 04:50 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
pdog wrote:
So when did you lose your virginity, and what was his name?

It was one of my aunts actually, when I was eight years old or so. I don't forget stuff like that.
12th October 2007 04:52 PM
pdog
quote:

It was one of my aunts actually, when I was eight years old or so. I don't forget stuff like that.

At least it wasn't an Uncle!
12th October 2007 04:55 PM
fireontheplatter alice's restaurant
and
green grass and high tides

hell yeah
12th October 2007 05:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
pdog wrote:
At least it wasn't an Uncle!

LOL. As Ive posted before, Maine is a spooky place. Stephen King didn't get those ideas from nowhere ya know.
12th October 2007 05:04 PM
fireontheplatter needful things.
12th October 2007 06:21 PM
steel driving hammer A good rock and roll song should not take more than 4 min to make the point/riff.

I gets losts in these long songs, IE The Dead.

Especially w/ a 30 second attention span you know...
12th October 2007 06:33 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
A good rock and roll song should not take more than 4 min to make the point/riff.

I gets losts in these long songs, IE The Dead.

Especially w/ a 30 second attention span you know...

have you considered better drugs?
12th October 2007 06:36 PM
Joey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Joey,
***if*** and when*** the Mule headline the Quest we shall smoke the White Widow together... and dose... two tabs each...

I'm talkin "mighty high"

and as always....

remember....

happy Fry-Day

chiba - chiba

Sway .....................................

I am Down with the Mule

*********** IT'S PUB TIME **************

Bye Bye Kids ....

Bye Bons .........

Joeykins

12th October 2007 06:48 PM
mojoman
quote:
Joey wrote:

Sway .....................................

I am Down with the Mule

*********** IT'S PUB TIME **************

Bye Bye Kids ....

Bye Bons .........

Joeykins

say hello to keith moon fer me tonight. tell i'm very very sorry i forgot to put the my generation from leeds on the top my list......
12th October 2007 07:47 PM
guitarman53
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

have you considered better drugs?

I've taken better drugs, but 20 minutes of the Dead doing "Not Fade Away" does nothing for me, if I was on LSD 25, I would certainly be on a bad trip! & I've taken it, but Thank God! I wasn't listening to the Dead! the Jefferson Airplane I could take, simply because they were very talented musicians, listen to their Bass player, Jack Cassidy, they were a great psychedelic band, but the Dead! they were garbage.
12th October 2007 07:53 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

I've taken better drugs, but 20 minutes of the Dead doing "Not Fade Away" does nothing for me, if I was on LSD 25, I would certainly be on a bad trip! & I've taken it, but Thank God! I wasn't listening to the Dead! the Jefferson Airplane I could take, simply because they were very talented musicians, listen to their Bass player, Jack Cassidy, they were a great psychedelic band, but the Dead! they were garbage.

i thought i asked steel driving hammer this question...not guitarman53.

now i feel like i am on mushrooms.
12th October 2007 08:54 PM
Riffhard I interveiwed Greg Allman a few years ago. Nice guy,horrible interview. He was a "yes" and "no" kind of interview. Not very verbose to say the least. Hey, it happens on occassion. I am a very good interviewer if I do say so myself, but sometimes these guys just ain't feelin' it.

That was the case with Greg. I was at my wits end so I just tossed out the fact that The Allman Brothers have a song on Eat A Peach that is longer than an episode of Gilligan's Island. "So Greg how's it feel it to know that a person can sit through an entire episode of Gilligan's Island and watch the professor make a radio out of coconuts, and watch the Skipper give his "little buddy" a back rub before Mountain Jam ends?"

Well that question changed his whole demeanor! He just started laughing his ass off. "Hell, I ain't ever even thought of it in that way." I told him that minus commercials GI clocked in at just under 23 minutes and that Mountain Jam was over 30 minutes. "You should'a heard it when we palyed it live back in the day. We really stretched it out! Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!"

I met him backstage about a year after that interview and reminded him of that question. He just looked at me smiled and said the question gave him a whole new perspective on the song and it had him laughing for days afterwards. It made my day to know that such a stupid question would resonate with a guy that I have always admired.

As for the song? I tend to press skip. I never liked the original Donovan tune and the Bros. version is only marginally better, but after 10 or 12 minutes it gets tiresome.

Riffy
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)