ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Gypsy
© Robert Knight with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Pay Mick Taylor! Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 17th, 2005 02:02 PM
jcdesq Mick Taylor deserves a cut of the profits from this tour. Granted, he is not playing with the band, and he may or may not be taking a bath in the sink of a Texaco station as I write this, but the man helped make the Rolling Stones into the greatest Rock and Roll band in the world!

The songs that the fans pay to see and the albums that placed the Stones on the altar of Rock gods would not have been possible without the great Mick Taylor. It was the Taylor-Era Stones were the greatest band of all time, certainly not the current model that is raking in all the cash.

If the Stones are decent men, they would help out their most talented musician. If not out of decency, than just because someone who was in the Rolling Stones should be able to live the decadent, rock n' roll lifestyle. The United States would never let an ex-President live in squalor, and the Stones should not let the guitarist who played on Exile On Main Street survive on dead squirrels and racoons and live in the woods in a hollowed out log. I suggest that one of the $454 tickets every night go to Mick. That's it. Just the proceeds from one high-end ticket a show. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? WHO IS WITH ME?

I think my favorite movie released in the last 5 years might be Runaway Jury, but probably because they show a lot of scenes from New Orleans and I really like Gene Hackman.

October 17th, 2005 02:12 PM
Scottfree I would say Ronnie Wood is their most talented musician, he plays 16 intruments (not inclduing the skin flute, or Pink Oboe)....
October 17th, 2005 02:26 PM
Joey " I think my favorite movie released in the last 5 years might be Runaway Jury, but probably because they show a lot of scenes from New Orleans and I really like Gene Hackman."

John Cusack is a real ladies man ........... No ?!?!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000131/

October 17th, 2005 02:34 PM
Dick Bush
quote:
jcdesq wrote:
Mick Taylor deserves a cut of the profits from this tour. Granted, he is not playing with the band, and he may or may not be taking a bath in the sink of a Texaco station as I write this, but the man helped make the Rolling Stones into the greatest Rock and Roll band in the world!

Signature.

Some say Taylor made the mistake of his life by leaving Stones, I would dare to say that the opposite is true.

The assholes - who treated him like a sick underdog - never ever made a single song after he left in anger.
October 17th, 2005 02:59 PM
Some Guy
quote:
jcdesq wrote:
Mick Taylor deserves a cut of the profits from this tour. Granted, he is not playing with the band, and he may or may not be taking a bath in the sink of a Texaco station as I write this, but the man helped make the Rolling Stones into the greatest Rock and Roll band in the world!

The songs that the fans pay to see and the albums that placed the Stones on the altar of Rock gods would not have been possible without the great Mick Taylor. It was the Taylor-Era Stones were the greatest band of all time, certainly not the current model that is raking in all the cash.

If the Stones are decent men, they would help out their most talented musician. If not out of decency, than just because someone who was in the Rolling Stones should be able to live the decadent, rock n' roll lifestyle. The United States would never let an ex-President live in squalor, and the Stones should not let the guitarist who played on Exile On Main Street survive on dead squirrels and racoons and live in the woods in a hollowed out log. I suggest that one of the $454 tickets every night go to Mick. That's it. Just the proceeds from one high-end ticket a show. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? WHO IS WITH ME?

I think my favorite movie released in the last 5 years might be Runaway Jury, but probably because they show a lot of scenes from New Orleans and I really like Gene Hackman.

Wow, Mick Taylor posts here.
October 17th, 2005 03:11 PM
gimmekeef Yes he WAS extremely good...but he quit...I saw them in 72 with Taylor and I saw them two nights ago here in Atlanta.They seem to be doing rather well without him!
October 17th, 2005 03:13 PM
gimmekeef Oh and in my opinion if they are going pay anyone no longer involved I'd start the line with Ian Stewarts family as well as Chuch Magees.....
October 17th, 2005 03:14 PM
pdog
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Oh and in my opinion if they are going pay anyone no longer involved I'd start the line with Ian Stewarts family as well as Chuch Magees.....

I wouldn't be surprised if those families aren't well taken care of...
October 17th, 2005 04:00 PM
jcdesq Just one high end ticket a show is too much to ask for the great Mick Taylor? Have you heard the solo on "Love in Vain" during the '72-'73 tour? Mick should make $1500 a week while the Stones are on tour, just for that alone!

Remember, the vibrato still cries, but this time it is crying for some protein and clean linens!
October 17th, 2005 04:05 PM
gimmekeef Yes I've heard that solo...I heard it live in person.After 33 years its still good.But Mick T chose to leave.Like he did I've chosen to move on as well....
October 17th, 2005 04:13 PM
pdog I heard a story that once a year, Mick Taylor gets a year suplly of Twinkies and Ding Dongs from an anonymous person. He then spends a few months on tour, playing Zoos, Fairs and VFW's.
October 17th, 2005 04:17 PM
CraigP I liked Taylor but if you quit a job you stop getting paid!
October 17th, 2005 04:20 PM
pdog
quote:
CraigP wrote:
I liked Taylor but if you quit a job you stop getting paid!

I wonder if he got checks when he was on the dole!
October 17th, 2005 05:04 PM
Paranoid_Android Has he not gotten ANY royalties from album/cd sales...wheather from original releases or the 2 or 3 reissues of recent years?

I realize he wouldn't get as much as writers/composers, producers, etc...but playing on them...that should make him some scratch, no? He is crediteds on a few tunes for the extra change, isn't he?

ALSO...is it worth seeing him play these days...he plays in DC every 6 months or so...never had a chance to see him...it's actually out in bumfuck VA...about 30 min out of the city.
October 17th, 2005 05:06 PM
pdog
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
Has he not gotten ANY royalties from album/cd sales...wheather from original releases or the 2 or 3 reissues of recent years?

I realize he wouldn't get as much as writers/composers, producers, etc...but playing on them...that should make him some scratch, no? He is crediteds on a few tunes for the extra change, isn't he?

ALSO...is it worth seeing him play these days...he plays in DC every 6 months or so...never had a chance to see him...it's actually out in bumfuck VA...about 30 min out of the city.

He doesn't get paid royalties? He can only blame himself then, b/c he should get something...
October 17th, 2005 05:46 PM
Saint Sway the Stones refuse to pay Mick Taylor any money.

I cant really fault them for that though.

But I do wish they would refuse to pay Don Was, Matt Clifford, Blondie Chapin, Bernard Fowler, Chuck Leavell, Tim Reis, Andy Snitzwer etc etc instead
October 17th, 2005 05:50 PM
Joey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

But I do wish they would refuse to pay Don Was, Matt Clifford, Blondie Chapin, Bernard Fowler, Chuck Leavell, Tim Reis, Andy Snitzwer etc etc instead

Oh MY !!!!! ..... You are SASSY !!!!!!
October 17th, 2005 07:14 PM
texile
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the Stones refuse to pay Mick Taylor any money.

I cant really fault them for that though.

no shit...the stones do fine without taylor it's true - but this caravan of lame piano klonkers, backup session players can't come close to taylor's majestic vibrato and sky-hooking riffs...
October 17th, 2005 09:04 PM
playguitar

Forget Eric....

Mick Taylor is God...
October 17th, 2005 09:10 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jcdesq wrote:

Absolutely right. Just look at their best album, Sticky Fingers. The contributions he made to Sway & Moonlight mile speak for themselves. Not to mention the Dead Flowers Solo
October 17th, 2005 09:37 PM
winter Nobody eats a donught like Taylor. Fat bastard.

Two words - move on

It's been over 30 years. Taylor, a great guitar player, but not a great Rolling Stone.

wintah
[Edited by winter]
October 17th, 2005 11:58 PM
pdog I called a former employer today who has had great success, thanks to my great work many years ago. I told them I thought I deserved some money seeing as how I played a big part in making them what they are today. The good thing is the laughter from them did make me feel like I brightened their day.
October 18th, 2005 12:20 AM
gorda That is a tough one!

My cousin has been working for the same company for about 9 years, then he got a better offer at another job. Well, he refused to take the job! Why? Seniority and retirement benefits. You see even though, he is only 28 years old. He is thinking about his future! (He has a wife and two kids.) Anyways, if he were to quit his present job now, he would lose all his seniority and retirement benefits! Usually, you have to work at the same place for at least 10 years, in order for you to qualify for benefits later in life. So, my cousin decided to stick with his job at least one more year, then he can quit and get another job.

So, sorry Mick Taylor, 5 years is not long enough!
[Edited by gorda]
October 18th, 2005 01:10 AM
padre Mick Taylor is still a superb player, his vibrato is as good as ever. No declining as with some other gittar players in the Stones camp....
Here's a funny thought: imagine if he put a band together with Bill Wyman (have they ever played together since their splits?)! Kenney Jones on drums and Ian McLagan on keboards.
But who would play the rhythm gtr, who'd be the frontman and what would the band be called????? Stonefaces?
October 18th, 2005 03:03 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
jcdesq wrote:

IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? WHO IS WITH ME?

I suggest YOU pay him
October 18th, 2005 03:40 AM
Mathijs Taylor is still paid all the royalties from the albums he played on. But, as he is only partly credited for two songs, he won't get rich of it, but it will pay a year's rent of his London appartment.

By the way, Taylor isn't the one who made the Stones the greatest band on earth. The songwriting of Mick and Keith did, together with the engine of Bill and Charlie, combined with the best live showman of entire rock, Mick Jagger. The Stones could have hired any good lead guitar player in 1969, and they still would have been as big as they were.

Mathijs
October 18th, 2005 05:55 AM
Dick Bush
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

By the way, Taylor isn't the one who made the Stones the greatest band on earth. The songwriting of Mick and Keith did, together with the engine of Bill and Charlie, combined with the best live showman of entire rock, Mick Jagger. The Stones could have hired any good lead guitar player in 1969, and they still would have been as big as they were.

Mathijs

Nobody would ever leave Stones without having a royal pain in the ass, and the contract worker Taylor must have been deeply troubled by making such a decision.

He made the very distinct contribution on Stones' best releases, and let's not forget that they never made something else but the chicken shit after he left.

The man was the most natural enhacement for Keef and I strongly guess that Jagger might have some other issues than money for getting Taylor's butt kicked out of there.

Knowing Jagger, I doubt very much that his work was properly credited.

October 18th, 2005 05:56 AM
winter
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

Mathijs

Hallelujah my brother
October 18th, 2005 07:36 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

Mathijs

Damn right. The Stones didnt suddenly become the greatest rock n roll abnd in the world in June 1969.

As great a musician though Taylor was (and is), it would have been somewhat of a redundant contribution had he not had brilliant songs to play on to begin with.

the main reason why the Stones were so fantastic in that 1968-72 period (which predated Taylor's joining the band) were because Mick and Keith were at their absolute apex creatively. Its also no coincidence that their golden period began in early 1968 when Jimmy Miller started producing their records. And they were in slight decline BEFORE Taylor left - not afterwards
October 18th, 2005 07:52 AM
Nellcote In the words of Tony Soprano, "He gets stugots"
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)