ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Gypsy
© Robert Knight with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Neil Young on Conan O'Brien Return to archive
October 17th, 2005 05:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels YOUNG FOLLOWS U2 INTO O'BRIEN'S STUDIO

Rocker NEIL YOUNG is following in the footsteps of U2, by taking over comedian CONAN O'BRIEN's late-night US chat show.

U2 recently enjoyed a week-long residency on LATE NIGHT WITH CONAN O'BRIEN, and Young will now appear for four nights in a row starting on 01 November (05).

Young will head to New York City to tape the shows immediately after the 19th Bridge School Benefit concerts in Mountain View, California, where is will perform as part of rock supergroup CROSBY, STILLS, NASH + YOUNG.

17/10/2005 08:48
contactmusic

"Late Night with Conan O'Brien" to Host Neil Young for a Week-Long Stint as Musical Guest
Legendary Musician To Appear November 1-4

BURBANK, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 10/14/2005 -- NBC's "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" once again breaks format to bring in the biggest names in music, welcoming Neil Young as musical guest for the entire week of shows November 1-4 (12:35 am - 1:35 am, ET).

This announcement comes on the heels of the groundbreaking entire episode with U2 last week, and follows in the footsteps of other format-busting bookings of The White Stripes for a week and The Strokes for a month of Tuesdays.

"I wanted two solid months of Neil Young, but he told me it was, quote, 'getting creepy,'" quipped O'Brien.

Young has created one of the most exciting and groundbreaking legacies in rock and roll history. A multiple Rock & Roll Hall of Fame member, Young has become known as a musical innovator and inspiration, running the gamut of recordings, live performances and film endeavors. Over the last forty years, the acclaimed singer-songwriter has often been cited as the artist that leads the way for others through an uncompromising pursuit of staying true to his music.

Young's latest release "Prairie Wind" is no exception. It is receiving universal acclaim, placing it in the pantheon of such Young classics as "Harvest" and "Harvest Moon." The New York Daily News described the record as "the loveliest melodies and performances of his 40-year career;" while Esquire magazine stated simply, "'Prairie Wind' is not just the album Neil Young's career needed but one our record collections needed even more."

Young also recently collaborated on a concert film directed by Academy Award®-winner Jonathan Demme, performing with a number of special guests at Nashville's legendary Ryman Auditorium (home of the Grand Ole Opry). The film is scheduled for a February release.

Since its debut in 1993, "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" has been the premiere venue for alternative music acts. In its almost ten-year run, the show has welcomed one of the most diverse and cutting-edge assortments of musical performers on network television. Visitors to the program range from living legends and current hit makers to underground sensations. In addition, "Late Night" boasts the network television debuts of superstar acts like Radiohead, Green Day, Sheryl Crow, Coldplay, No Doubt and Wilco among many others.

"Late Night with Conan O'Brien" is from NBC Universal Television Studios in association with Conaco and Broadway Video. Lorne Michaels and Jeff Ross are the executive producers. Allan Kartun directs. Mike Sweeney is head writer.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
October 17th, 2005 09:01 AM
Sir Stonesalot Oh yeah...awesome.
October 17th, 2005 10:32 AM
Martha Thanks for the HEADS UP!

You are always on it TTM!

peace out,
Martha
October 17th, 2005 04:40 PM
Prodigal Son I will be watching intently. On another note, I feel kind of strange. I don't like Prairie Wind. Everyone's praising it and all but to me, it's a letdown. If I were to give it a grade it'd be C+ ranking it with the likes of Landing on Water and Old Ways amongst his worst. I sort of feel like all the adulation is just because it's Neil Young. I've tried to enjoy it, but it seems tired, repetitive and derivative of his older albums. I prefer Silver and Gold slightly and that one wasn't all that good either.

The lyrics, singing, etc. are pretty sappy and always deal with issues old guys (45 and up, cause Neil's become sort of homey and "wise" ever since Harvest Moon, before that there was a sort of innocence and mysticism to his acoustic music)talk about like growing up, the farm, family, his wife and travelling the old highways. He's been revisiting these themes on every disc he's cut over the last decade. Neil hasn't delivered a great album since Sleeps with Angels, IMO.

And Prairie Wind seems to recall the weaker moments on SWA ("Train of Love/Western Hero") but in terms of the melancholy stuff, it pales to stuff with gusto like "My Heart," "Prime of Life," and "Driveby." I guess, for me, Neil Young's ability to write classics faded away after Mirrorball. Since then, I'd count his only classic songs to be "Silver and Gold" (written in 1983), "Razor Love" (also written in the 80s), "Differently," "Bandit" and "Be the Rain."

Since SWA, my favourite album is the underrated Are You Passionate? (where he is backed by Booker T. and the MGs and it comes off sounding like a Stax/Motown mix-only a few lovey-dovey clunkers get on my nerves) with Mirrorball, Greendale, Broken Arrow, Silver and Gold and Prairie Wind following. Does anyone else find Prairie Wind boring and uninspiring? Sir stonesalot, you like Neil but I know you're a fan of loud electric guitars too. So it gets to my complaint that Neil hasn't really dabbled in the grungey rock side of his music since Mirrorball with Pearl Jam in 1995.

Neil's acoustic side has become tiresome and played out for me. You know, I think since he began his comeback in the late 80s, he's at his best when he's angry, pissed off or moody, not when he's content and relaxed. Freedom was his reaction to the social epidemics of the 80s as well as his son's struggle with cerebral palsy, the song "This Note's for You" we all know the story behind, SWA a reaction to the sudden death of Cobain and how it reminded him of Bruce Berry and Danny Whitten. The only great album he made in this content mood was Ragged Glory.

I want some guitar crunch like "Sedan Delivery" or "When You Dance, I Can Really Love" to return to Neil's music. Y'all know that kind of music. It's just odd finding myself underwhelmed by Neil's recent career while everyone else praises him. I'm a huge Neil Young fan too. That being said, I still love the guy and think he kicks ass. Hopefully he plays some old faves and cranks out the electric sludge, ala Eldorado, and perhaps brings Crazy Horse with him onto Conan that week.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
October 17th, 2005 04:44 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Well-said, Prodigal Son. I didn't care for Prarie Wind at all, for the same reasons.

However, I'm still psyched for this 4-night thing. Maybe he'll drag out the Les Paul and rock out for awhile instead of doing all this "No Wonder" crap.

I didn't like Harvest Moon or Comes A Time, either, though, so what do I know? Maybe I just think Neil Young needs to stop jumping around and yelling "this is the next Harvest!" every time his career goes south.
October 17th, 2005 04:55 PM
Prodigal Son Harvest Moon is alright, but it has some inklings of crap like "Such a Woman," "Old King" and "Dreamin' Man." Comes a Time is different for me. It is just beautiful with tasteful strings, great harmony vocals from Nicolette Larson and a general overview of what's great about folk/folk-rock. Prairie Wind, and the ilk I call "Harvest sequels" all meander in music more akin to Crosby, Stills and Nash. They show glimpses of what's bad about folk/folk-rock. There's no comparision between stuff like "The Painter," "No Wonder," "Here for You," etc. and "Comes a Time," "Look Out for My Love," "Goin' Back" and "Already One."
October 17th, 2005 05:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
October 17th, 2005 10:06 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Since then, I'd count his only classic songs to be "Silver and Gold" (written in 1983), "Razor Love" (also written in the 80s), "Differently," "Bandit" and "Be the Rain."

Silver and Gold, actually, was written in 1982 and first performed it in October of 1984; then again in 1989, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2000.

Razor Love was also performed several times in 1984 and through the late '80s and '90s.

I get the feeling you're a Crazy Horse kinda guy...

The thing with Neil is that he goes through so many styles, bands, fazes, moods, whatever you want to call it. It's probably a safe bet that every Neil fan has one stage of his musical career that doesn't meet their expectations.

It's quite obvious that since his aneurism, and the recent passing of his father, Scott, he views life in a different life. Who wouldn't. With that, he's reflecting on the important things in his life - "growing up, the farm, family, his wife and travelling the old highways" - all the things you mentioned, including growing up on the Canadian prairies. He's admitted that there are many things he still wants to do. Foreshadowing, I think, to an even greater portfolio.

To a point, I think Neil is like Dylan. If you shout out a song you want him to sing, you won't get it!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)