ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Gypsy
© Robert Knight with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keiths "Whip It Up" is better than most ABB tunes! Return to archive
October 15th, 2005 12:33 PM
DAVINO I just listened to the new album again, today, and then "Talk Is Cheap", and they compare favorably! Keith was the 1st show I ever saw, tour for this album, and there are some awesome tunes: "How I Wish", "Make No Mistake", "Locked AwaY', "Big Enough", etc.

Whip It Up
(K. Richards/S. Jordan)

Whip
Whip it up
Whip
Whip it up

Don't know what you dream at night honey
Close your eyes and see
Leave the rest to me

I'll be stealin' in if you give me half a chance
C'mon baby let's get this dream to dance

Whip it up
C'mon Whip
Whip it up
Whip it up, Whip it up

Well it seems so sad to me, the way we carry on
Why, why baby can't we get along
I ain't deceivin' you if you ain't deceivin' me
Then someone else has lied to us Yeah
Don't deny it

Save it for another day
Don't save it for me
If I ain't good enought for you
Then maybe baby you ain't good enough, good enough for me

Whip it up baby
Just a flick of the wrist
Twist of the mind
Whip it up
Whip it up
Whip
Whip it up

October 15th, 2005 12:59 PM
jcdesq You could not be more correct. Great post. "Whip it Up" is a classic and puts all the mediocre songs on "A Bigger Bang" to shame.

The only two songs I find decent on the new album are "Oh No Not You Again" and "Infamy," and "Whip it Up" is better than both.

Moreover, all you cheap fuckers out there should spend the $11 and get down on it!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00023GGGW/qid=1129395460/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6169803-8447115?v=glance&s=music&n=507846
October 15th, 2005 01:25 PM
the good
quote:
jcdesq wrote:
You could not be more correct. Great post. "Whip it Up" is a classic and puts all the mediocre songs on "A Bigger Bang" to shame.

I think both of you need your daily dose of thorazine increased.
October 15th, 2005 11:14 PM
CraigP I totally disagree. I like the riff to Whip it Up but I hate the backround vocals on the chorus. ABB has some real rockers like RJ and ONNYA-either one SMOKE the weak-assed Whip it up. But I Do agree with it being better than most of the mediocre songs on ABB.
[Edited by CraigP]
October 15th, 2005 11:23 PM
DAVINO Hey Jcdesq, thanks!

I didn't mean to bring about the step-by-step deconstruction of the tune, and I in no way meant to diss the new album, I really like it. I just think that when people speak of "underrated", this fine Keith album should be thought of.
October 16th, 2005 05:32 AM
blackandblue Pass the pipe please
October 16th, 2005 09:35 AM
72Tele Both of Keiths solo records are ten times better then anything the Stones have put out since Some Girls. The emotion comes through those grooves like nothing the Stones have produced in many many years. KR's solo work has passed the test of time. ABB to me has already failed the test of time and I'm sure in a year or two will fail nearly everyones test of time. But don't downplay the band Keith had. A great line up that played like they were a band for decades. It would be hard to make a bad record with those guys. I hope they all get together again very soon. The sooner that Keith folds up the current Rolling Stones Orchestra and Traveling Sideshow the better.
October 16th, 2005 11:32 AM
ListenToTheLion Keith solo is very mediocre.
A Bigger Bang is the best thing the Stones have made in the past 25 years.
Not a masterpiece like Exile but straight and honest rock 'n' roll without fuss.
October 16th, 2005 02:03 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
72Tele wrote:
Both of Keiths solo records are ten times better then anything the Stones have put out since Some Girls. The emotion comes through those grooves like nothing the Stones have produced in many many years. KR's solo work has passed the test of time. ABB to me has already failed the test of time and I'm sure in a year or two will fail nearly everyones test of time. But don't downplay the band Keith had. A great line up that played like they were a band for decades. It would be hard to make a bad record with those guys. I hope they all get together again very soon. The sooner that Keith folds up the current Rolling Stones Orchestra and Traveling Sideshow the better.

Do you honestly think that if Keith had another solo record left in him, it wouldn't have already come out in the last 12 years?...
October 16th, 2005 03:30 PM
Neocon Yea, Keith records were good. The ballads, "Hate in When You Leave," "Locked Away," and "Make No Mistake" are better than any ballads the Stones have produced since probably "The Worst." But I do like Keith's ballad ona Bigger Bang. TPIE may have benefited from a touch of Sarah Dash, and more electric arrangements. I'm hearing good song there.

Keith lyrics are more honest and ring more true. I mean how many of us end relationship and say to ourselves "yea, I feel I've crossed the Rubicon." It contributes to overall feeling of horse shit in that song.

But Keith's voice gets a bit annoying over a whole album, and sometimes the songs start to sound the same. Just listen to the second side of "Main Offender." There are two songs that sound exactly the same.

Plenty of good tracks on Keith solo albums. But I also like the Keith type stuff on a bigger bang like "Rough Justice," "It Wont Take Long," "Dangerous Beauty," "She Saw Me Coming," "Infamy," and "This Palace is Empty." I like micks voice on the big rockers like RJ.
October 16th, 2005 06:29 PM
James Burton Keith Richards + Memphis Horns = Wonderfull - full stop!!
October 16th, 2005 06:41 PM
Saint Sway Whip It Up is fantastic!

what I love most about it is Bobby Keys sax solo. It reminds me of his awesome solo on "Brown Sugar"

a killer Keef riff and Bobby Keys on sax is always a great combo.

it worked so well on Sticky & Exile and then again on Talk Is Cheap. It makes you wonder why the Stones havent bothered to tap back into that again.
October 16th, 2005 11:03 PM
Soldatti I love TIC, but I think that ABB is more complete. We're talking about two great records.
October 16th, 2005 11:46 PM
Saint Sway if Jagger had sang on TIC & MO, they would be of ranked amongst the Stones greatest albums of All-Time.
October 17th, 2005 11:40 AM
Neocon
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Do you honestly think that if Keith had another solo record left in him, it wouldn't have already come out in the last 12 years?...

I'm not sure if it's a question of whether he has another solo album in him. Perhaps it's just that he knows in the U.S. and U.K., no one will buy it similar to Mick's albums. If a tree falls in the woods.... The guy is used to making albums people hear. The folks on this board and maybe Lenny "The rip off" Kravitz will buy it, but who else? Main Offernder made it to what #97 on billboard? What's the point? Maybe he can hire Nigel Goodrich to Make Keith's versions on Village Green Preservation Society?
October 17th, 2005 01:12 PM
poor immigrant Good exchanges on this post. I do think from a musical perspective, that Keith's albums are the most vital, visceral thing to come from the Stones camp since Undercover at least. It does lack Mick's chameleon charm and magic touch. Had they nixed all the solo albums and been making Stones albums for the last 17 years, then they would have continued the run of classics. Can you imagine some of the TALK IS CHEAP rockers with a big of Jagger swagger on top (in the words and vocals), and Keith taking the Sarah Dash role on the ballads and letting his voice mesh with Mick's? On the flip side, the return to creativity that Jagger showed with Wandering Spirit could have only benefitted from the Keith crunch that would've lifted Don't Tear Me Up and the title tracks above the fray. As it is, they've spread themselves too thin, and never recovered. Jagger's ballads on the much maligned Goddess album were much more affecting than the Streets of Love. Oh yeah, add Charlie in anywhere and you're better than most other bands.
October 17th, 2005 07:19 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Neocon wrote:
Main Offernder made it to what #97 on billboard? What's the point?

Main offender reached #99 on Billboard, but was a steady seller during 4 months and re-entered the Top 200 a couple of times on 1993, the week that Wandering Spirit debuted at #11 on Billboard, Main Offender re-entered at #200. It was the only week that Mick and Keith were on the charts at the same time with solo albums in any country of the world.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)