ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Gypsy
© Robert Knight with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Green Day played Brown Sugar last night. . . Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 14th, 2005 12:45 PM
monkey_man Green Day did a 25 sec teaser of Brown Sugar last night in SF. . .they stopped before the vocals started and the crowd begged them to keep playing it. Green Day moved on to another song leaving the crowd wanting more. . .
October 14th, 2005 01:12 PM
J.J.Flash Do you mean, did they play the "real" thing, the guitar the same way Keith has been playing?
October 14th, 2005 03:28 PM
FPM C10 Of course not, Young Jay! It was GREEN DAY.

Not the WORST band in the world, and they DID dedicate an entire album to the idiocy of George W. Bush...but to expect them to play a Stones song like the Stones? Mais non!
October 14th, 2005 03:30 PM
Joey " Not the WORST band in the world, and they DID dedicate an entire album to the idiocy of George W. Bush...but to expect them to play a Stones song like the Stones? "

October 14th, 2005 03:38 PM
J.J.Flash I've got my own eye on you this afternoon....

October 14th, 2005 03:38 PM
deuce I Love Green Day
October 14th, 2005 04:02 PM
voodoopug
quote:
deuce wrote:
I Love Green Day

Joey can sure pull of a fine mullet!

Were those pictures taken at the C10 summit?

I hate Green Day
October 14th, 2005 04:09 PM
Joey " Were those pictures taken at the C10 summit? "

< ------

October 14th, 2005 04:25 PM
SmallerBang This is the most terrible and overrated band in the U.S. today - the Stones should be insulted by this, not honored.
October 14th, 2005 04:32 PM
Prodigal Son In terms of punk-rock/pop they were a lesser version of the Ramones for the 90s. I think their first 2 major label records were good and the next two slightly less. But American Idiot sucks, IMO. It's so commercial and tries hard to be one of those awful radio bands like Train or Matchbox 20. Hardcore old Green Day fans haven't been too fond of it but they've gained a bigger following of bubble-headed 11-18 year old girls who think they're so cute and play such hummable tunes.

I wonder what the punk fans who accused them of "selling out" in 1994 think now? Green Day turned their back on punk for a self-indulgent "concept" album. I really don't like songs like "Blvd. of Broken Dreams" and "Wake Me up When September Ends." If they're gonna be Bush bashers at least make it sound smart and well thought-out like Steve Earle and not like a whiny Californian yuppie. Although I used to like the song, "Time of Your Life" opened up a floodgate of crappy, 3rd rate hackwork and "balladry" into Green Day's pantheon of songwriting.
October 14th, 2005 04:33 PM
Moonisup I must thank F505 for using that picture when I almost forgot it!
Young Joey looks great
October 14th, 2005 04:39 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
In terms of punk-rock/pop they were a lesser version of the Ramones for the 90s. I think their first 2 major label records were good and the next two slightly less. But American Idiot sucks, IMO. It's so commercial and tries hard to be one of those awful radio bands like Train or Matchbox 20. Hardcore old Green Day fans haven't been too fond of it but they've gained a bigger following of bubble-headed 11-18 year old girls who think they're so cute and play such hummable tunes.

I wonder what the punk fans who accused them of "selling out" in 1994 think now? Green Day turned their back on punk for a self-indulgent "concept" album. I really don't like songs like "Blvd. of Broken Dreams" and "Wake Me up When September Ends." If they're gonna be Bush bashers at least make it sound smart and well thought-out like Steve Earle and not like a whiny Californian yuppie. Although I used to like the song, "Time of Your Life" opened up a floodgate of crappy, 3rd rate hackwork and "balladry" into Green Day's pantheon of songwriting.

I'm in full agreement with you on Green Day. I was just working at the show. . .I work for the concert promoter.
October 14th, 2005 07:35 PM
Soldatti They got a big hit album thanks to great marketing, their last videos are on MTV two times per hour.
October 14th, 2005 07:48 PM
Riffhard Fuck Green Day with a sharp stick! They are a waanabe punk band that are complete sellouts. I used to like a band like Green Day,but they had loads of talent and were "real" punks. They used to call themselves The Clash! Now that was a punk band that actully brought something to the table. Green Day is pussy MTV shite! Phoney,Fake,Eye liner wearing poofters!

Riffy
October 14th, 2005 08:14 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Fuck Green Day with a sharp stick! They are a waanabe punk band that are complete sellouts. I used to like a band like Green Day,but they had loads of talent and were "real" punks. They used to call themselves The Clash! Now that was a punk band that actully brought something to the table. Green Day is pussy MTV shite! Phoney,Fake,Eye liner wearing poofters!

Riffy

Fer once we are in total agreement!
October 14th, 2005 08:17 PM
Riffhard
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Fer once we are in total agreement!

Hell just froze over,and a pig just flew by my bedroom window! LOL!

Riffy
October 14th, 2005 08:59 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Hell just froze over,and a pig just flew by my bedroom window! LOL!
Riffy

Dude I'm going to buy a lottery ticket. . .the planets are lining up!
October 15th, 2005 01:08 AM
colditalianpizza Wow, I can't believe the Green Day bashing. The first time I listened to American Idiot I thought it was average, every time since I just love it. Definetely the best album of the new millenium. Do some of the songs sound like David Bowie rifts - yes? But man, I think it's a great album.

And if you think Green Day sold out to punk - have you listened to Good Riddance? When did that come out - 97? They admitted it long ago - although I don't think they sold out, they moved on to bigger and better things because although punk is good in small doses, imo it sucks overall and has fueled a 20+ trend of excusing bad musicianship.

By the way, Stones rule.
October 15th, 2005 03:04 AM
pdog
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
Green Day did a 25 sec teaser of Brown Sugar last night in SF. . .they stopped before the vocals started and the crowd begged them to keep playing it. Green Day moved on to another song leaving the crowd wanting more. . .

I wanted to go. They played The Warfield, which for them nowadays is the same as The Stones playing a club gig. Had an offer of a ticket, a very hot item in SF. After seeing a show Tuesday night in North Philly then another Wednesday night in South Philly, I just didn't have it in me to take another show in, especially after travelling back home 3000 miles. Would been great to do, but I'm glad I declined!

For all Green Day bashers... LOL! That's it, you're making me LAUGH OUT LOUD! It's only rock and roll, it ain't about punk or selling out or anything else. It's all about the fun. Are Green Day the best punk band today? No fucking way. There's a million flying under the radar, the way most bands like it. Green Day did what The Ramones tried to do their entire career, have a hit. And Strummer liked them alot too! The Joe's RIP, are damn fucking proud. Green Days success is exactly what they would've hoped for, it's what they fought for. To my keen musical ear, American Idiot is one damned fine rock and roll record. Not the greatest, but I still like listening to it. It's way better than any other rock bands record that's also selling... The first time I saw Green Day they were playing in front of about twenty people and before 3 other bands. I'm happy as hell for them!!! SF Bay Area punk lives!!!
[Edited by pdog]
October 15th, 2005 04:22 AM
beer i don't think Green Day sold out their sound. listen to their first LP 39/smooth, on Lookout records. It's probably their most candy assed poppy release of them all. if anything, they sounded more aggressive on their major label stuff. I first saw them in 1990 or 91 and i thought they were OK, but i really don't care for most of their stuff.

As far as Bay area punk goes, Crimpshrine were the best to come from that whole scene, along with Operation Ivy, imo. it peaked at the end of the '80's. though the first Rancid LP is fuckin great.

-
October 15th, 2005 08:35 AM
Honky Tonk Man I ADORE THE American Idiot album!

I really wasn't a Green Day fan until I heard Holiday and who knows, I may only be a fan of there’s until they're next release. Basket Case, Welcome To Paradise and a few other classics to one side, I really couldn't stand the band. No matter how brilliant they're last album was, they are still to blame for Bowling For Soup, Blink 182, Sum 41 and many others. Maybe not in terms of influence, but Green Day certainly opened the doors wide open for the punk-pop genre.
October 15th, 2005 09:54 AM
Sir Stonesalot I don't mind Green Day. I don't love them, but I don't hate them either. They are what they are.

American Idiot is their take on the "Rock Opera". They are tipping their hat to The Who. Is that punk? I dunno. Steve Jones & Paul Cook thought they were The Who too. Shall we challenge their punk cred as well?

Look, what Pdog said is absolutely true. ALL bands, regardless of what genre that they practice, want to be successful...to have a hit. If you have a hit, you will always have the cash to make another record. THAT is what it's all about. Getting that next record made.

I think Riffy mentioned The Clash. Anyone think they were against making money? Is Rock The Casbah any different than Blvd Of Broken Dreams? C'mon, let's be honest here. The Clash wanted to be rock n roll stars....they wanted to get paid just as much as the next guy. Same with The Ramones.
October 15th, 2005 09:59 AM
Gimme Shelter I took my whole family a couple of weeks ago to see them here in Sacramento and they were really good.
October 15th, 2005 10:03 AM
deuce Their just a good rock band that writes catchy songs. Simple as that.

It's only rock and roll
October 15th, 2005 12:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Fuck Green Day with a sharp stick! They are a waanabe punk band that are complete sellouts. I used to like a band like Green Day,but they had loads of talent and were "real" punks. They used to call themselves The Clash! Now that was a punk band that actully brought something to the table. Green Day is pussy MTV shite! Phoney,Fake,Eye liner wearing poofters!<

LOL!

Who you kidding dude. Tell it true...you don't like them because they did an entire album devoted to calling you an idiot. Hey, I don't blame you. If they had done an album calling ME an idiot, I'd hate them too!

Of course the Stones just said pretty much the same thing on ABB......
October 15th, 2005 02:53 PM
Joey " I think Riffy mentioned The Clash. Anyone think they were against making money? Is Rock The Casbah any different than Blvd Of Broken Dreams? C'mon, let's be honest here. The Clash wanted to be rock n roll stars....they wanted to get paid just as much as the next guy. "

" It's a pity that The Clash broke up as I thought that they were a very good band . " ( Peter Denis Blandford Townshend , November , 1985 ) .

J.
October 15th, 2005 05:04 PM
monkey_man DO NOT DOG THE CLASH! They were the only rock and roll band that ever mattered! Mick Jones' pop tendencies are what created their commercial/ dance pop sounding music. There were maybe 3 good songs on Combat Rock and Rock the Casbah was not one of them. As a band they were never about making oodles of money. Listen to lyrics of their songs, most of them are politically charged rants.
I think Green Day's success has turned them into "rock stars". Thursday's Green Day show in a theatre venue had more pyrotechnics than I've seen in most stadium shows. (they obviously didn't learn anything from the Great White debacle). This former power trio had 6 people on stage with them (an extra guitarist, a backing vocalist and a keyboardist) Their live show has become much more about the spectacle than the music.
October 15th, 2005 08:47 PM
sirmoonie Green Day is an idiotic band. George Walker Bush III is a fucking idiot.

October 15th, 2005 11:07 PM
DAVINO
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
DO NOT DOG THE CLASH! They were the only rock and roll band that ever mattered! Mick Jones' pop tendencies are...

I would say that statement is a little off base. They were great, but nowhere near "the only rock and roll band that ever mattered!" "The Right Profile" and "Drug Stabbing Time" are examples of cool songs that they did, but there are plenty of other bands that rock/rocked.

Have you ever listened to The Presidents Of The United States Of America, they have great energy! I just listened to the show recently from this month, I think they just reunited, they sound great! Hell, even AC/DC has some awesome R&R, and a much longer career! Phish, IMO, are one of the most genre-bending, brilliant band to come along EVER! Have you listened to them?
Peace...

[Edited by DAVINO]
October 15th, 2005 11:41 PM
pdog
quote:
DAVINO wrote:

Phish, IMO, are one of the most genre-bending, brilliant band to come along EVER! Have you listened to them?
Peace...

I was going along with everything until that last statement... You lost me and all rock cred!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)