ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Arriving at the De Lane Lea Recording Studios without enough money to pay the cab
October 7, 1963 to Record "Stoned" - Released November 1, 1963

Photo By Gus Coral - Black and White Blues
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Jagger talks about Goddess in the Doorway Return to archive
09-28-01 11:02 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I found this in the new Mick Jagger site at Virgin Records, LOL, I entered yesterday and didn't see it, because it is located in the "BIO" folder, so I thought it was just another biography!

�These are all very personal songs,� Jagger says of the material for Goddess In The Doorway. �The thing about this album is that it kept to the original idea. Sometimes these things take on a life of their own, which can be great too, but this one stayed true in a lot of ways to the original concept.� And how would Jagger define that concept? �Very personal songs that could be sung directly to you,� he says. �If you wanted to, you could sing these songs in a kitchen more or less with an acoustic guitar. So the album would basically be like a guy with a guitar singing a tune. And if the song would stand it, we wanted to have some orchestration with it as well. But it�s about the songs and what they're saying.�

Jagger felt the need to record a new solo album as an outlet for the deeply felt songs that were flowing freely from him. �Yeah, I love the writing process,� he explains. �That is what is so much fun about making this record. I would just sit in my house in France in the little recording room and just write the songs and put them down and then lay down some beats on the computer and play the guitar. That feeling �or the actual guitar�would end up on the finished record. So the writing process is in the grooves so to speak.�

Yet because of the way we tend to view our biggest stars, some may be struck by how very human Jagger sounds here as he grapples artfully with a few of life�s more pressing issues�such as love and spirituality. �Of course, I have human feelings,� Jagger says with a laugh. �In this record there�s a mix of romantic songs and some songs that have some overlay of the spiritual side. Those seem to be the two things going on in this record really. But I hadn't thought about it too much until I stood back and looked at all the songs together.�

Taking as a whole, the inspired song cycle of Goddess In The Doorway manages to be both vitally contemporary and almost timeless, containing classic echoes from rock and soul history but in a context that remains decidedly relevant. To listen to the album is to be reminded that behind that globally famous name and face, there is still very much a man, a wildly talented singer-songwriter with real feelings, real pains and a real gem of a new album.

The songs on Goddess In The Doorway range from spirited 21st Century gospel (�Joy,� which features the vocals of Bono and finds our narrator driving a four wheel drive looking for Buddha) to seriously pounding modern rock (�God Gave Me Everything,� a collaboration with Lenny Kravitz), to the future global party tune �Hideaway� (produced by Wyclef Jean) to the yearning soul-pop of �Visions of Paradise,� an exquisite and deeply effecting collaboration with Rob Thomas.

Jagger produced numerous tracks and also collaborated closely with former Stones keyboardist Matt Clifford and Marti Frederiksen (Aerosmith). Jagger is quick to point out that everyone who joined together in making the album brought something to the party, which was thrown at various studios around the world. �Definitely, it�s all very well doing a solo record but it�s fun to have a lot of collaborators,� explains Jagger. �I had a lot of good times making it. My family was always around. Matt Clifford was always around. And I worked really closely with Marti Frederiksen on the five tracks that I did with him. And Pete Townshend kept saying, �I want to play on this you know.� Pete lives twenty yards away from me in England so one day I said, �Pete, can you come today.�

Bono was great, and I had a good time writing with other people, like �Visions of Paradise� with Rob Thomas. You get a different feeling when you write with someone else, in the end a different song comes up. And Joe Perry played on a couple of tracks and I think it all helped. A lot of this stuff is me on my own and so after a while you like to hear some other voices.�

So in the end, it turns out that Mick Jagger does work and play well with others. �Yeah I do, I enjoy playing with other people,� he says. �All the people on this record I knew well, apart maybe from Rob Thomas who I only knew in passing, but the rest I know really well, so it all felt like friends and family.�

It�s lovely for Jagger that the album was such a joy to make. But perhaps more importantly, listening to Goddess In The Doorway, we can all experience the genuine joy of hearing one of rock's most accomplished writer-performers digging deep and expressing himself at the height of his creative powers.

09-29-01 07:47 PM
Ned Kelly Bring It.
10-01-01 11:29 AM
moy This is from the Argentinean Magazine "El Clar�n" and was translated and posted by Marcelo Sonaglioni

Just as I was able to inform the album would be called VISIONS OF
PARADISE a
while ago, later confirmed as "GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY", as everybody
knows
by now, last Saturday edition of Argentinian newspaper Clarmn featured
an
article where Mick gives a track-by-track description of the album,
that may
be of your interest (I translated a text which was originally published
in
Spanish language, so don't quote this as Mick's original words), as
follows:

VISIONS OF PARADISE
"I met Rob Thomas while on tour and we came up with this idea it would
be
great to write a couple of songs together. This is one of many romantic
songs"

JOY
"I was in my small studio in France playing guitar and suddenly I came
up
with the song. It's basically a gospel tune. And Bono's part, well,
when one
has made so many records during so many years it's good to lend a hand
to
the young people! It worked pretty fine: I did the vocals and gave them
straight to him"

DANCING IN THE STARLIGHT
"It's simply based on lying on the beach on a starry night, watching
the
stars reflecting on the water"

GOD GAVE ME EVERYTHING
"I wrote this song with Lenny Kravitz. He did all the harmonic parts
and
then we finished the choruses together. I said to him: 'Do you have any
ideas for the lyrics?', and he said 'Absolutely none'. So I hid myself
in a
corner of this kind of 'Clockwork Orange' house Lenny has in Miami and
wrote
the lyrics in ten minutes"

HIDEAWAY
"It started as a Sam Cooke-styled song but, by the time we were
recording it
it turned into an Al Green tune. Wycleff Jean provided a very different
swing to it. Some Caribbean flavor, even when it's a soul song"

DON'T CALL ME UP
"This is the oldest track of the album. I wrote it sometime during the
Stones last tour. A sad song, and quite romantic as well"

GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY
"I went out dancing and, as I was driving back home, I had this
'groove' on
my head. Eventually it ended up being a very different thing. It's a
good
synthesis of the album: it started out as a disco/dance song, then it
ended
up being something with a Central Asia taste"

LUCKY DAY
"A reggae song that talks about somebody who spends too much time in a
city
like Los Angeles. I can tell about that experience"

EVERYBODY GETTIN' HIGH
"Almost a comedy song, made out of observations. Smooth"

GUN
"It all started out as a real rock tune. 'Under my Thumb' is nearly a
soft
song compared with this one, which isn't about pistols, but a metaphor"

TOO FAR GONE
"It's about the ever-changing world and the impossibility of going
back.
Almost a country song"

BRAND NEW SET OF RULES
"I wrote this one while sitting in bed one afternoon. My two daughters
do
the backing vocals, and I must say they're quite good at that"
10-01-01 08:13 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The article in Spanish is here

Thanks to Marcelo, our partner in the The
Midnight Rambler Gets His Rocks Off
for the link and Marcelo (Stones Age) for the translation. When I received the link form Marcelo Q., I found that it was already translated by Marcelo S., � Gracias a los dos !

Mick Jagger en su tinta

Goddess in the Doorway (Diosa en el umbral) sale el 15 de noviembre. Aqu�, el mismo Jagger lo explica tema por tema.

PAPITO. Sus hijas hacen coros en un tema. Tambi�n canta Bono. (Foto: AFP)

Atrav�s del sello Virgin, Mick Jagger, el stone m�s famoso, dio a conocer de pu�o y letra sus impresiones sobre Godess in the doorway, su nuevo �lbum solista que sale el 15 de noviembre. Aqu�, una por una las canciones seg�n su autor.

Visions of Paradise: "Conoc� a Rob Thomas durante una gira y se nos ocurri� que ser�a bueno escribir un par de canciones. Es una de las tantas canciones rom�nticas".

Joy: "Estaba en mi peque�o estudio en Francia tocando la guitarra y me sali� de un tir�n. Es una canci�n gospel b�sicamente. Y la parte de Bono, bueno, cuando has hecho tantos discos durante tanto tiempo es bueno darle lugar a la gente joven. Funcion� muy bien: hice las voces y se las pas� a �l".

Dancing in the starlight: "Est� basada simplemente en estar en una playa en una noche estrellada y ver las estrellas reflejadas en el agua".

God gave me everything: "Esta es una canci�n que escrib� con Lenny Kravitz. El hizo toda la estructura arm�nica y despu�s completamos los estribillos entre los dos. Le dije: �Ten�s una idea para la letra? y el me contest� absolutamente ninguna. As� que me fui a un rinc�n de esa casa tipo La Naranja Mec�nica que tiene en Miami y escrib� la letra en diez minutos."

Hideaway: "Esa canci�n empez� en el estilo de Sam Cooke pero al momento de grabarla termin� como Al Green. Wycleff Jean le di� un swing muy diferente. Cierto caracter caribe�o aunque en el fondo sea una canci�n soul".

Don''t call me up: "Es la canci�n m�s antigua del disco. La escrib� durante la �ltima gira de los Rolling Stones. Una canci�n triste y rom�ntica tambi�n".

Goddess in the doorway: "Sal� a bailar y cuando volv�a a mi casa segu�a con un groove en la cabeza aunque termin� en cualquier otra cosa. Es una buena s�ntesis del disco: Empez� como un disco dance y termin� como algo con cierto gusto a Asia Central"

Lucky day: "Un reggae que habla sobre alguien que pasa demasiado tiempo en una ciudad como Los Angeles. Conozco esa experiencia".

Everybody gettin high: "Una canci�n casi de comedia, hecha de observaciones. Liviana".

Gun: "Empez� como un rock directo. Under my thumb es casi blanda comparada con esta. Que no es sobre pistolas sino una met�fora".

Too far gone: "Es sobre el constante cambio del mundo y la imposibilidad de volver atr�s. Una canci�n casi country".

Brand new set of rules: "La escrib� sentado en la cama una tarde. Mis dos hijas hacen los coros y debo decir que cantan muy afinado".
10-03-01 10:30 AM
Ned Kelly Thanks Amigo.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.