ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Arriving at the De Lane Lea Recording Studios without enough money to pay the cab
October 7, 1963 to Record "Stoned" - Released November 1, 1963

Photo By Gus Coral - Black and White Blues
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick added to Paul McCartney benefit show aka LIVE AID II: Tickets on sale Oct/8!!! Return to archive
09-27-01 11:40 AM
Mikey Hi everyone,

Just heard on the radio here in SF that Mick is slated to perform at the Paul McCartney benefit show at MSG on October 12 (don't quote me on the date).
09-27-01 12:52 PM
moy now it's official

McCartney plans benefit gig

by Richard Simpson

Sir Paul McCartney spoke to the Evening Standard today
about his plans for an all-star benefit concert for victims of
the terrorist attacks in America, saying he felt a personal
bond with New York's firefighters and their families.

McCartney said his own father worked as a fireman in
Liverpool in the Second World War. He added: "I am
doing the benefit gig in Madison Square Garden because I
love New York. I was there when the tragedy occurred.
In a way I was glad I was able to witness the tremendous
heroism that has come out of the city since the disaster."

The Concert For New York on 20 October is likely to
feature, among others, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Eminem,
Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr, Sting and
David Bowie.

The concert will be televised worldwide and recorded for
a live CD to follow. Aid agencies predict the relief fund for
victims will eventually top �500 million.
09-27-01 04:33 PM
CS THU 27 SEP 2001 11:15
'LIVE AID II' IS GO!

The Who, Led Zeppelin, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen,
Ringo Starr, Sting, David Bowie, Billy Joel and Neil Young
are amongst the stars being lined-up to appear at 'Live Aid
II'.

The concert, which is being organised by Sir Paul McCartney,
is being staged to support the victims of the terrorist attacks
in New York earlier this month.

The show, which is scheduled to be greatest pop concert ever staged, is set to
take place on October 20, at New York's Madison Square Garden and is
expected to spawn a live album.

Santana, Jon Bon Jovi, Lenny Kravitz, Sheryl Crow and a more 'youthful'
presence, such as Limp Bizkit, Eminem and Mary J Blige are also being
lined-up to appear, according to reports.

Hosts for the evening are expected to include Gwyneth Paltrow and comedians
Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld.
09-27-01 06:35 PM
CS http://music.launch.com/read/content.asp?contentID=206041

Details On McCartney's NY Benefit Concert Revealed

(9/27/01, 5 p.m. ET) - Paul McCartney is planning an all-star concert to benefit New York City's
firemen on October 20 at New York's Madison Square Garden, which is said to include former
Beatles bandmate Ringo Starr, James Taylor, John Mellencamp, Jon Bon Jovi, Mick Jagger,
Jerry Seinfeld, and Gwyneth Paltrow. At press time, however, the Who was the only group
confirmed to perform. LAUNCH has learned that several other artists rumored to be part of the
concert including Sting, Santana, and Led Zeppelin, will not be at the concert. More artists are
expected to be added to the lineup in the coming weeks.

A spokesperson for McCartney told the BBC, "He was in New York when the tragedy happened and
like everyone has been affected very deeply by it." McCartney has a special admiration for firemen, as
his father Jim McCartney was a volunteer fireman in Liverpool during World War II.

McCartney is putting the show together with Miramax and Cablevision, and it will reportedly be shown
soon after the actual concert date.

--Sue Falco and Bruce Simon, New York
09-27-01 10:43 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl More about this topic here.
09-27-01 11:39 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

Hey Paul! What about inviting Keith?
09-28-01 08:56 PM
Tom Yesterday's UK news reports about a possible Zep "reunion" understandably created a flurry of salivating media & fan inquiries. I'm told by John Paul Jones' management: "We haven't received any official approach about this concert, If we do, John will be happy to participate."
09-28-01 10:00 PM
CS NEW YORK--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--Sept. 28, 2001--
A One Night Only Fundraising Event to Benefit the Victims of the September 11th Attack On the U.S. and to Honor the
Heroic Rescue Workers

To Air Live On VH1 On Saturday, October 20th, 8pm (ET/PT)
From Madison Square Garden

Paul McCartney, who last week was reported to be looking to stage his own benefit in New York City, has agreed to play "The Concert for New York" to raise awareness of the fundraising efforts on a broader scale.

VH1, Cablevision and Miramax Films will join together on Saturday night, October 20th at New York City's Madison Square Garden to present LIVE "The Concert for New York," a one night only music event to benefit the victims of the September 11th terrorist attacks on New York City. The concert also will pay tribute to the rescue workers who worked tirelessly to save the lives of others.

PAUL McCARTNEY: "I'm doing this benefit concert because, in short, I love New York. I was there when the tragedy occurred and I witnessed the last moments of The World Trade Center twin towers. Heather and I were sitting on a plane at the airport, waiting to take off. Suddenly the captain announced that all the planes had been grounded. From our side of the plane we could see the Towers smoking and in flames, we couldn't believe what had happened.

"A tragedy like this affects everyone and everything. A few days after the attack we went down to the Canal Street area and you could smell it and feel it, people were still in a daze.

"At first I felt useless. I thought 'what can I do?' I knew I had to do something to help. So I'm going to do this concert. Although the events are dreadfully sad, in a way I was glad I was in New York when it was all happening because I was able to witness the tremendous heroism that has come out of the city since the disaster.

"This concert will honour those heroes and heroines and I'm very proud to be doing that. It will benefit the families of the victims, including the families of the firefighters involved. I feel a connection with the firefighters because my Dad was a volunteer fireman in Liverpool during World War Two.

"So I'm going to do this benefit show to show solidarity. The thing is that people may disagree with how we live, but this attack has crossed the line; it is a real no-no and you have to show the people who have done this that we are not going to put up with it. "You've got to stand up and do something. I can't fight fires, but I can do a concert. It will be a difficult night, but it needs doing and I hope to help raise a lot of money for the families of the victims." Tickets for "The Concert for New York" go on sale Sunday, October 7 at 12 noon through Ticketmaster phones, outlets and www.ticketmaster.com.
09-28-01 10:35 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl 28 September 2001
Madison Square - It's on!

Madison Square - It's on!
A message from Pete Townshend:

"I was sharing with some friends on Thursday night that I had agreed to go to New York to do a charity show, but I really didn't want to go. I felt as if I'd been called up. Not to fight, but - like my father before me - to entertain the 'troops' in New York. It is my duty as a musician and entertainer to do this in such a 'war'. But I would prefer to stand on the sidelines. I'd prefer to write a cheque (as I already had) to some New York charities and get on with my local London life.

But New York is my second home. If I had bought a home there when I was apartment-hunting in 1993 it would have been right near Ground Zero - probably Hudson Street or possibly lower as I wanted to be as close to the river as I could. I owe too much to New York and to New Yorkers. Most Who fans come from the New York area, probably about 25% of all our American fans. I have never travelled to New York, even for a short trip, without feeling I have been enriched in some way. Often, the enrichment is financial: I meet someone on the street who connects me with someone else, who gives me a job, or asks permission to exploit one of my works, and away I go. Richer. The city is full of love too. I've never been mugged there. Never been shot at. Never been beaten or robbed in the street or even frightened.

I've had nightmares there. Dark visions. And wonderful dreams too. I don't always sleep well in New York. But I always sleep. I will sleep there soon. For The Who are coming. This afternoon we spoke to Harvey Weinstein who told us that the show is to raise money to directly help the families of those who lost their lives, and those who have lost their jobs. I had been told by someone not unconnected with LIVE AID that America did not need any more money. But Harvey said money is desperately needed. I suddenly felt better about my modest knee-jerk donations last week to the fire department, the police department and the WTC fund. It felt like a drop in the ocean, but I gave my own name; I wanted those folks to know I was thinking about them.

I asked Harvey whether there are any plans to do a similar benefit for those refugees displaced by the panic-mongers who warned the US would vengefully 'carpet bomb Kabul'. He said that he hoped about 20% of the money raised would be set aside to help those affected by the neccessary withdrawal of aid agencies in all regions affected by this kind of panic. I personally hope there will more money raised soon for these poor people, none of whom directly threaten the USA.

Politically speaking a mere rock band like The Who can't make any kind of stand on what warped philosophy lies behind terrorism. Others can today. That person not entirely unconected with LIVE AID also had a great name for the terrorists of the Taliban - 'Twats', he called them. (I think it's the reproductive organ of a female sheep). But I am standing further to the right than usual. I don't want to see unjust vengeance, but today I am a hawk rather than a dove. If I have to take God's name in all this, I am prepared to believe that God may not take sides, but he does not expect us to throw away without a fight the good lives he has so generously given us in the West. If I was meant to be a starving Afghan peasant, that's where I would be today. Maybe in the next life. And I hope to my God, for the sake of those who flew those planes into hell, that everyone who died gets another chance".

From http://www.petetownshend.com
09-29-01 11:58 AM
Sue Confirmed are Goo Goo Dolls, India Arie, James Taylor, Jim Carrey, John Mellencamp, Macy Gray, Melissa Etheridge and The Who only.
10-03-01 08:54 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Now confirmed: Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Billy Joel, Marc Anthony, Five for Fighting and India.Arie have been added to the bill of the Oct. 20 Concert for New York at Madison Square Garden.
10-03-01 05:34 PM
Stonesdoug Tickets go on sale Monday 10/8 at 9AM from Ticketmaster
10-03-01 08:32 PM
CS Wednesday October 3, 4:01 pm Eastern Time
Press Release
SOURCE: VH1, Cablevision, Miramax and AOL
VH1, Cablevision, Miramax Films and AOL Announce The Addition of Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel, Marc Anthony, Five For Fighting, Meg Ryan, Susan Sarandon, David Spade, Julia Stiles, Denis Leary to 'The Concert For New York'
They Join The Previously Announced All-Star Line-Up of Paul McCartney, The Who, Bon Jovi, James Taylor, John Mellencamp, Macy Gray, Goo Goo Dolls, Melissa Etheridge, India.Arie, Jim Carrey, Jerry Seinfeld, Gwyneth Paltrow, John Cusack
Tickets Go On Sale Monday, October 8
AOL Joins Event as a Producing Partner; Offers Extensive Internet Support
'The Concert For New York' Is a One-Night-Only Fundraising Event to Benefit The Victims of the September 11th Attack On The U.S. and To Honor The Heroic Rescue Workers
Concert To Be Telecast Live On VH1 On Saturday, October 20th, 8pm (ET/PT) From Madison Square Garden
NEW YORK, Oct. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- VH1, Cablevision, Miramax Films and AOL today announced the addition of Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel, Marc Anthony, Five For Fighting, Meg Ryan, Susan Sarandon, David Spade, Julia Stiles, and Denis Leary to ``The Concert For New York.'' They join the previously announced all-star line-up of Paul McCartney, The Who, Bon Jovi, James Taylor, John Mellencamp, Macy Gray, Goo Goo Dolls, Melissa Etheridge, India.Arie, Jim Carrey, Jerry Seinfeld, Gwyneth Paltrow, John Cusack, and members of New York sports teams.

These superstars will join together for ``The Concert For New York,'' a four-hour live performance on Saturday, October 20th at 8:00 PM (ET) from Cablevision's Madison Square Garden in New York City. The concert will benefit the victims of the September 11th attack on New York City and pay tribute to the spirit of New York and the heroism of the rescue workers who worked tirelessly to save others. Five thousand members of the New York Fire, Police and Rescue crews and their families will be in attendance as guests.

``The Concert For New York'' will be telecast live and commercial free on VH1 and will be simulcast on the VH1 Radio Network and Westwood One. The event will also be broadcast on television and radio networks around the world. All telecasts will feature a phone number and web address for charitable donations.

Tickets for ``The Concert for New York'' go on sale Monday, October 8 at 9:00 a.m. through Ticketmaster phones (212/307-7171; 201/507-8900; 631/888-9000), outlets and http://www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets will be available at a variety of price levels. VIP packages will be made available through the Robin Hood Foundation. Information on those packages is available through Debbie Fife, Robin Hood Foundation, 212-245-6570.

AOL, who joins VH1, Cablevision and Miramax Films as a producing partner, will provide pre-event promotion and information on its flagship service and family of brands, as well as provide a worldwide website to accept all Internet donations resulting from the broadcasts. AOL also will help bring the event to tens of millions on the Internet through a live webcast. More information can be found at AOL Keyword: Concert For New York.

All money raised from ``The Concert For New York'' will go to the Robin Hood Relief Fund, which was established by the Robin Hood Foundation, with funds to be distributed to charities benefiting the victims including the Twin Towers Fund created by Mayor Rudolph Giuliani. One-hundred percent of the money raised will go directly to aid victims and their families.

VH1, Cablevision, Miramax, AOL and their partners, including Clear Channel Entertainment, will underwrite all costs of the concert and telecast including the facility, production, promotion, travel, and union services to ensure that all money raised will go directly to the organizations listed above.

SOURCE: VH1, Cablevision, Miramax and AOL

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.