ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006
© Rubén R. Ramírez/El Paso Times with thanks to Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Denouncing lyrics of rock n roll ditties (nsc) Return to archive
14th October 2006 06:47 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Opinion

Denouncing lyrics of rock'n' roll ditties

A Blast from the Past: A Letter to the Editor from 1957
by The Optimist Staff
October 13, 2006

The following letter was published on May 17, 1957

The other day, as I listened to a local radio station, I heard a song entitled "School Days." A better title might have been "Reform School Daze."

This little rock-'n-roll ditty paints school as drudgery from the time the candidate for the "Blackboard Jungle" gets up in the morning until the time he "lays down his burden" when the dismissal bell rings. It seems the moral of this song is summed up in the final refrain- "long live rock 'n roll."

Now don't get me wrong, I'm no fanatic. I think anyone who knows me will vouch for that. But I do think songs with lyrics like this are detrimental to our society.

The popular music of the United States is an old and established tradition among other countries of the world. For many years the people of Europe have been great fans of American popular music. I have tried to think that American popular music paints a picture of the people of the United States to the rest of the world.

Right now I'm fed up with this music that paints a picture of the feelings of a minority group of our society. I hope that my children never feel school is a drag and only tolerate it because they can go down to the corner drug store and listen to the stuff which I loosely refer to as music.

I know I never thought school was a drudgery and I never looked forward to hearing this bop on rock-'n-roll or rhythm and blues or whatever you prefer to call it.

Neither am I a long hair, friend who would subject everyone to Bach or Beethoven, though they certainly have their merits.

All I want to know is what happened to the songs like Irving Berlin, Rogers and Hammerstein and others used to write? Have we become so blinded by the dollars that we have overlooked beauty?

Don't get me wrong. There are still a few pretty, good, clean songs coming, from some tune-smiths pens. Some will say, "There have always been some silly bad songs around."

I'll admit that, but I defy anyone to say that there have ever been so many bad songs suggesting so much to so many.

I hope others feel the same way I do. If you do please let me know by writing to me in care of the Optimist. If you want to take the other side, I'd like to hear that too.

-Murrell Foster
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
14th October 2006 06:48 PM
MrPleasant These Mothers is crazy. You can tell by their clothes. One guy wears beads and they all smell bad. We were gonna get them for a dance after the basketball game but my best pal warned me you can never tell how many will show up...
sometimes the guy in the fur coat doesn't show up and sometimes he does show up only he brings a big bunch of crazy people with him and they dance all over the place. None of the kids at my school like these Mothers...
specially since my teacher told us what the words to their songs meant.

Sincerely forever,
Suzy Creamcheese
Salt Lake City, Utah
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)