ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006
© Rubén R. Ramírez/El Paso Times with thanks to Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: THE REAL, HONEST CHICAGO REVIEW Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
13th October 2006 10:40 AM
Gazza Keith has dabbled with smack occasionally since he 'supposedly' kicked it in the late 70's

It might be, as you say a 'moronic' thing to do when youre in your 60's (as it is at any age) but hardly a long shot when its quite obvious that the man appears to be in physical discomfort, going by various observations.

I'm far from a medical expert, but based on what Ive been told about his onstage demeanour and his 'absences' for long stretches of shows, I've feared from the start of this tour that it suggested he was falling back into a few old habits again. Sirstonesalot's comments make more sense than most I've read.

[Edited by Gazza]
13th October 2006 10:41 AM
Saint Sway I'm so psyched I'm seeing the Black Crowes next week!
13th October 2006 10:52 AM
jb SS rules!!!!!!!!!!
13th October 2006 10:55 AM
charlotte Joe Pa would be proud of you SS...
13th October 2006 11:17 AM
Sir Stonesalot I'm not gonna get dragged into an argument about this, but like I said in my post...I see this kind of thing on an almost daily basis. I KNOW what it looks like. And some of the things that I've been reading, hearing, seeing...throw red flags up.

>We don't need to look much further.<

That is the difference between what I do, and a normal lay person. I'm trained to look further. In my job I HAVE to look further. Looking further saves lives.

Again, maybe it is just a combination of the things that add up to making things look a certain way. I hope so. But my instincts and training are telling me different. I've been doing what I do now for a long time. I've seen a lot of things. And I know what this thing looks like. It isn't an over-reaction. It is a completely objective look at things based on experience and training.

Pain makes people to crazy, even "moronic" things. And chronic arthritis...I've even seen the constant pain of that disease drive people to suicide. I personally know people who go to exteme lengths to deaden the pain. Now combine chronic arthritis with a bad fall from a tree. You got chronic athritis pain AND constant headaches. Opiates are a heck of a pain killer. It might not be H either...there are many opiate based medications out there. Morphine patch, oxycotin, lots of stuff. And with his past history, it's easy to see how he could get himself hooked again...even while under a doctors care. Good people get hooked on that shit all the time. A guy with Keith's history has a very high chance of addiction. H, pain killers, whatever. Same thing to me.

Again, this is just a hypothesis. I don't know the guy, and I don't interact with him on a regular basis, so I can't say for sure. But Keith is displaying all the classic signs and symtoms of substance abuse.
13th October 2006 11:19 AM
polytoxic
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Keith has dabbled with smack occasionally since he 'supposedly' kicked it in the late 70's

It might be, as you say a 'moronic' thing to do when youre in your 60's (as it is at any age) but hardly a long shot when its quite obvious that the man appears to be in physical discomfort, going by various observations.

I'm far from a medical expert, but based on what Ive been told about his onstage demeanour and his 'absences' for long stretches of shows, I've feared from the start of this tour that it suggested he was falling back into a few old habits again. SS's comments make more sense than most I've read.
[Edited by Gazza]

Now I know we're all speculating here but I wondered about that too.
He's mentioned in interviews that he was on Morphine in the hospital and asked his night nurses for a double doses. It got me to wondering as well.
Is that bending over stuff being on the nod? Whatever the case, this does merit close observation no matter what anyone says. We'll see what's up in Seattle after a few days rest.
13th October 2006 11:21 AM
polytoxic
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I'm so psyched I'm seeing the Black Crowes next week!

Right on, you'll catch them just in time for the next line-up change.
Hey-o!
13th October 2006 11:21 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I'm not gonna get dragged into an argument about this, but like I said in my post...I see this kind of thing on an almost daily basis. I KNOW what it looks like. And some of the things that I've been reading, hearing, seeing...throw red flags up.

>We don't need to look much further.<

That is the difference between what I do, and a normal lay person. I'm trained to look further. In my job I HAVE to look further. Looking further saves lives.

Again, maybe it is just a combination of the things that add up to making things look a certain way. I hope so. But my instincts and training are telling me different. I've been doing what I do now for a long time. I've seen a lot of things. And I know what this thing looks like. It isn't an over-reaction. It is a completely objective look at things based on experience and training.

Pain makes people to crazy, even "moronic" things. And chronic arthritis...I've even seen the constant pain of that disease drive people to suicide. I personally know people who go to exteme lengths to deaden the pain. Now combine chronic arthritis with a bad fall from a tree. You got chronic athritis pain AND constant headaches. Opiates are a heck of a pain killer. It might not be H either...there are many opiate based medications out there. Morphine patch, oxycotin, lots of stuff. And with his past history, it's easy to see how he could get himself hooked again...even while under a doctors care. Good people get hooked on that shit all the time. A guy with Keith's history has a very high chance of addiction. H, pain killers, whatever. Same thing to me.

Again, this is just a hypothesis. I don't know the guy, and I don't interact with him on a regular basis, so I can't say for sure. But Keith is displaying all the classic signs and symtoms of substance abuse.

As your friend SS, I must advise to not ask all the members of RO to look further into a subject. While there are several of us that do that on a daily basis....many drink a large glass of "Cohl a" every morning and will beleive nothing other than "everything is great"!

I enjoyed your post though, very informative and from a more knowledgeable person regarding the subject than me! You have educated me yet again!

13th October 2006 11:30 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I enjoyed your post though, very informative and from a more knowledgeable person regarding the subject than me! You have educated me yet again!

Thats because you are a moron.

You thought an email telling you to shake hands firmly, speak clearly on the phone and keep a clean desk was the greatest sales advice you ever heard. You thought it was such a god send that you had to post it here.

you are a mental midget
[Edited by Saint Sway]
13th October 2006 11:45 AM
jostorm SS:
Give the man a break, what the fuck is wrong with you???
Try and get laid or something, go out into the woods and hug a tree, or try something more relaxing and positive than sitting in front of a computer , attacking someone in cyberspace. I mean, how moronic is that??? A hell of a lot more moronic than believing in sales manuals! voodoopug was just honestly stating his opinion, he never claimed that that opinion was 100% true. God , why can you not just chill out and say "well, I don't think that is true, I think this..." What's the matter, is your penis microscopical, or what????
13th October 2006 11:48 AM
polytoxic
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

As your friend SS, I must advise to not ask all the members of RO to look further into a subject. While there are several of us that do that on a daily basis....many drink a large glass of "Cohl a" every morning and will beleive nothing other than "everything is great"!

Careful, The Cohl-Aid has been spiked!

13th October 2006 11:49 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
jostorm wrote:
God , why can you not just chill out and say "well, I don't think that is true, I think this..."

well, I don't think that is true, I think that Pug's a mental midget

better?

[Edited by Saint Sway]
13th October 2006 11:52 AM
Sir Stonesalot Jo:

Huh?

I wasn't aware that I was attacking anyone.

I sense that you were joking and lampooning someone. Hope I'm right.

Otherwise, fuck off ya tit.
13th October 2006 11:57 AM
Saint Sway SS,

she/he was referring to me. The "SS" gets confusing at times.

as a simple rule, when you see a post addressed to "SS" you will know it is meant for me and not you if it is any way complaining/hostile/pissed off etc...

if it is addressed to "SS" and then followed with glowing praise, like "hey thanks for review" or "good point" then you know its meant for you
13th October 2006 11:58 AM
throbby Good points SS.

I think Keith is indeed an expert at self medication. I don't believe it's heroin though. From what I've noticed the two times I've seen him this Fall is that the other Stones are very protective of Keith. At Giants there was a moment when Ronnie gently tapped Keith on the shoulder, when Keith turned around Ronnie motioned with his eyes towards his hand on the neck of his guitar as if to say "this is where we are". It was done with respect on Ronnie's part.

Would they be this way towards Keith if he had become a "junkie" again? I think it's a combination of pain medication, alcohol, and exhaustion.
13th October 2006 12:00 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Thats because you are a moron.

You thought an email telling you to shake hands firmly, speak clearly on the phone and keep a clean desk was the greatest sales advice you ever heard. You thought it was such a god send that you had to post it here.

you are a mental midget
[Edited by Saint Sway]

Your decision to continue the personal attacks has gotten past being old. Please find something better to do with your time.
13th October 2006 12:03 PM
jb
quote:
throbby wrote:
Good points SS.

I think Keith is indeed an expert at self medication. I don't believe it's heroin though. From what I've noticed the two times I've seen him this Fall is that the other Stones are very protective of Keith. At Giants there was a moment when Ronnie gently tapped Keith on the shoulder, when Keith turned around Ronnie motioned with his eyes towards his hand on the neck of his guitar as if to say "this is where we are". It was done with respect on Ronnie's part.

Would they be this way towards Keith if he had become a "junkie" again? I think it's a combination of pain medication, alcohol, and exhaustion.

emotional...a guess we will never no....hopefully , once this tour ends, he will have plenty of time to get healthy.
13th October 2006 12:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh I see.

People have been calling me SS for so long now, I just assume that they are talking to me. It'll take a bit of getting used to having people calling someone else SS.

I thought everyone refered to you as Sway...or *%#$@*!$.

Didja get tix for Racs/Dylan in Philly yet?
13th October 2006 12:15 PM
Your Cousin Lou I was also at giants, 1st seat next to the B Stage. Although I will freely admit that Keith started the show off poorly (IORR and Live With Me), he improved over the course of the show, but was not as mobile. He was hunched over most of the show, and when the moving stage rolled by me, he was directly over me. His eyes looked glazed (I took a picture of him, but it did not come out well, because of the lighting), and I could swear that he sounded out of it when he did his mini set. I don't know if it is drugs or not, but a head injury can also have effects that last 6 months or more, can emulate symptoms of drug use, and can vary in severity over time. I am not a doctor, but I did work as a nursing assistant in a hospital unit devoted to stroke and head injury patients. IMO, there is no way Keith could have had a stroke and still have been able to continue with the tour. No Way, No How, NFW.
13th October 2006 12:16 PM
Saint Sway Puggles,

Out of love and respect for you, and with complete understanding that you are a sensitive girl, I will take the day off from bashing you further.

of course, I will hold your "Keith had a stroke" post in my cannon for further Pug humiliating.

Since I've agreed on cease fire, could you please indulge me and elaborate on your stroke theory/rumor and answer this:

if Keith suffered a stroke...

A. When he had his alleged stroke, was he rushed to hospital and somehow managed to avoid the press entirely? Or did he have a stroke and no one noticed, so he just didnt tell anyone?

B. Since he has been examined by the best medical doctors in the world, did they not notice that he suffered a stroke? Or did they notice and still clear him to play?

C. Do the other Stones know about this, and allow him to continue to play?

D. Or has he somehow managed to keep this stroke he allegedly suffered a secret from the Stones, his family and his doctors?

E. Is it beneficial in sales to make eye contact when shaking hands?
13th October 2006 12:19 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Your Cousin Lou wrote:
IMO, there is no way Keith could have had a stroke and still have been able to continue with the tour. No Way, No How, NFW.

you are 100% correct.
13th October 2006 12:25 PM
tumbling dice
great rewiew! Michael Cohl is a son of the bitch getting the stones in that situation.4 CONCERTS IN CHICAGO IN A WHOLE YEAR !!Soldier field in october with 30 degrees ? The stones doesn´t need it....and Mick? Whats going on with his fantastical business mind? The stones never did the same tour 3 times in the same city,Mick always knew about it,but this time he agreed to do it and i don´t know why...at the same point we got Keith in that condition,obviosly he´s in bad shape.He´s my idol but he is just a 62 years old man going back from a brain surgery,thanks Ronnie to carry him now.In my memories the Stones always be like the last february in Brazil and Argentina with Keith on fire.
13th October 2006 12:25 PM
Some Guy It is cold up in da ATL today so I am bustin out the homemade chili tonight and cleaning out the fireplace.
13th October 2006 12:42 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

Awesome, Poplar. Too bad this is in Oakland, not SF. There aren't too many places to hang near the stadium before the show. Maybe as the show approaches we (and anyone else in the bay area from this fine board) can find a place to say HI.

What. . . you don't like drinking on the walkway between the bart station and the stadium?
13th October 2006 12:43 PM
jb
quote:
tumbling dice wrote:

great rewiew! Michael Cohl is a son of the bitch getting the stones in that situation.4 CONCERTS IN CHICAGO IN A WHOLE YEAR !!Soldier field in october with 30 degrees ? The stones doesn´t need it....and Mick? Whats going on with his fantastical business mind? The stones never did the same tour 3 times in the same city,Mick always knew about it,but this time he agreed to do it and i don´t know why...at the same point we got Keith in that condition,obviosly he´s in bad shape.He´s my idol but he is just a 62 years old man going back from a brain surgery,thanks Ronnie to carry him now.In my memories the Stones always be like the last february in Brazil and Argentina with Keith on fire.

Good post.
13th October 2006 01:08 PM
polytoxic Okay, here's another can of worms but I was just over at Shidoobee and this very same thread over there has been deleted. WTF? Are they worried Blondie won't play Wildwood if people talk about band business? No more passes to the Rattlesnake Inn if they don't toe the line? Tickets to the Beacon in jeopardy if the only reaction to Chicago isn't unanimous glee that Chuck got "our" message and got the Stones to play She Was Hot?? I get censoring personal attacks and even politics and all but this just screwy. The internet and speculation go hand in hand, no? Now the final word on Chicago is "Keith is still HOT!".
Very disturbing turn of events.
This shit ain't going away till Keith gets his glimmer back.
Which of course is what we're all hoping for.

[Edited by polytoxic]
13th October 2006 01:16 PM
voodoopug
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
Okay, here's another can of worms but I was just over at Shidoobee and this very same thread over there has been deleted. WTF? Are they worried Blondie won't play Wildwood if people talk about band business? No more passes to the Rattlesnake Inn if they don't toe the line? Tickets to the Beacon in jeopardy if the only reaction to Chicago isn't unanimous glee that Chuck got "our" message and got the Stones to play She Was Hot?? I get censoring personal attacks and even politics and all but this just screwy. The internet and speculation go hand in hand, no? Now the final word on Chicago is "Keith is still HOT!".
Very disturbing turn of events.
This shit ain't going away till Keith gets his glimmer back.
Which of course is what we're all hoping for.

[Edited by polytoxic]

It had led to a slew of innapropriate posts and Doug and i talked and felt it was best to not leave it up as there are just some that cannot handle it.
13th October 2006 01:24 PM
maumau thank you voodoopug for the review AND the theory. I dont know and wont give my theory because i dont have one. Bad injury? stroke? addiction? age? arthritis? i dont know. One thing i now for sure: last clips from north american tour show Ronnie much more on a leading role and Keith back following him, charlie and chuck. Sure an outdoor stadium tour in autumn doesn't seem a brilliant idea for him.

Anyway in the recent past i have come to measure Keith's performance and focusness from his licks and soloes on SFTD. For instance in the concert i attended this year he barely played the soloes. So that, given the situation depicted by voodopug in Chicago i must say i was a little uplifted by this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n1yG-pZlhQ
13th October 2006 01:32 PM
polytoxic
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

It had led to a slew of innapropriate posts and Doug and i talked and felt it was best to not leave it up as there are just some that cannot handle it.

Whew! That's reassuring. I thought we had all gone through the looking glass.
13th October 2006 01:48 PM
Poplar
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
What. . . you don't like drinking on the walkway between the bart station and the stadium?

LOVE IT!!! but we can do better.
I plan on spending the day in SF, and scooting over to Oak Town (in my Kevlar) just before the show.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)