ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A kiss to the all the nice girls at Rocks Off who make this place so special!
By William Coupon from the "40x20 Exhibition" now on tour...

This header is dedicated to Pammy Mammy!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: some recent developments (ssc)... Return to archive
10-16-02 06:45 AM
stonedinaustralia two things of late -

the first, somewhat apropos of the comment of the loudest keyboard in cyber-town "mr.uppercase" aka BILL PERKS' - no offence bill i'm almost enured to it by now - re the "side 2 tattoo you cult" thread or indeed Miss U.'s petition thread!! - i've heard this band on the national radio here a couple of times and they're called "the brianjonestown massacre" - does anyone know anything about them?? (nasty? anybody?)- the one track i've heard isn't all that brilliant (imo) but i've only heard it twice and there may be more to them than that one track

thanks in advance and apologies if:

i) they're australian and those of you outside of here have no idea who i'm talking about;or

ii) this is all rather "old news"

second, does anybody else dig that tune "hitting the ground" with polly harvey and the violent femme dude... i think it wonderful...it gives me a good r'n'r kick specially when i'm driving in my car and it comes on the radio

thanks for your time

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-16-02 07:53 AM
gypsymofo60 StonedinOZ, Polly Jean can come an' kick me whever she wants, I Wanna Be Her Dawwwwgggggggg!!!! whoooooooooooooooooo, whoo, whooooooooooooooooo! yeeeeaaahhh Pretty Polly!
10-16-02 11:50 AM
Nasty Habits Oh, Jesus, what do I remember about the Brian Jonestown Massacree? Seems like they've been around for years - at least six or seven. I seem to connect them to Greg Shaw's Bomp school of semi psychedelic punk rock, and it also seems like I didn't particularly care for them back when they were getting buzz. I mentally categorize them with the Warlocks and other of those Hawkwindy Stooges, but please remember I could be talking out my ass, as I have not heard their recent work.

I have NOT heard the Gordon Gano/PJ Harvey track -- is it new? Where is it? Tell me more. I'm willing to bet that shit rocks. Saw the Femmes on Conan O'Brian a couple of months ago and was shocked at how brilliant they were. I was at first saddened that these older gentlemen would be playing such almost exclusively teen identified rock, but then I remembered who my favorite band was and just got into it. Eternally Snotty, Scotty!

Much better watching Violent Femmes do Blister in the Sun on the TV than hearing those assholes Blues Traveller trash it before a Rolling Stones show, like I did back in Chicago for B2B opening night, one of my all time worst concert memories ever.

When I get a minute I shall reply to your last missive, SIA.

10-16-02 04:57 PM
stonedinaustralia thanks nasty - re polly and mr.gano i'm surprised you haven't heard of it - or perhaps more to the point i'm surpised i'm aware of something you're not - as maxy stated on another thread you're musical knowledge is overwhelming -
especially from someone who was only six in '76 (you're not lying about your age are you?? - just kidding!)

i just lifted the following from "pj harvey on line"

"P J Harvey guests on Gordon Gano's forthcoming debut solo album 'Hitting The Ground'. Polly duets with Gano, the former 'The Violent Femmes' frontman, on the title track. Other guests include Lou Reed, John Cale, Frank Black & They Might Be Giants. The album is due for release on September 2nd on Cooking Vinyl Records."

and thanks for the note on "the brianjonestownmassacre" - that "hawkwindystooges" reference is still apt based on what i've heard - like you i haven't really cared much for the little i have heard

look forward to your message when you're ready - shake of those blues first - i want to hear "happy talk" - remember, no matter how bad things seem at least you're not gene simmons or lars ulrich

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]